RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Name, Image, Likeness
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Michael



Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 493



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/12/21 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:
I don't see how boosters can be banned. If a car dealership owner in Alabama wants the offensive line to endorse this dealership, how is that different from a Nike shoe deal?

And if a dentist wants to give a top high school basketball recruit (JuJu Watkins, say, out of L.A.) $20,000 to endorse his practice if she goes to UCLA, I don't see how that's illegal? (And how many boosters would love to have that kind of personal connection to a player?)


Offering $$$ and making it contingent on going to the boosters school? Isn't that what happens now? I suppose it will continue to be done and will still be against NCAA rules.


IF said booster says that you MAY be able to get this money if you go to good old ZU would be fringing the rules and not be a violation, just the same way IU Mens players for decades under Knight were told if they graduated from IU there MIGHT be a lifetime employment at a mostly no show job for them....... The fact that boosters are now able to say they pay every player on a team at ZU a $5000/month stipend and have it advertised pretty much destroys the NCAA's ability to stop pay for play..... I seriously believe we are witnessing the beginning of the end times for NCAA athletics and I don't know what will happen after the crash, but I expect it will be ugly.



_________________
Michael
mercfan3



Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 19033



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/12/21 9:42 am    ::: Re: Name, Image, Likeness Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Should we expect any WCBB player to make any real money next year?

Buekers and Clark seem the obvious choices.


Hailey Van Lith has a huge social media following. I think Azzi Fudd’s is pretty large too.

In fact, of college athletes 9 of the top 10 of the biggest social media following were women (Hailey and Paige being the biggest) I’m really excited about this, as I think it’ll be a great equalizer for women’s sports..and it’ll help maintain the popularity from college to the pros.



_________________
“Anyone point out that a Donald Trump anagram is ‘Lord Dampnut’”- Colin Mochrie
purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2694
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/15/21 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have seen it stated many times in multiple places that this is good as now they can earn money while in school just like "regular" students. It has also been stated that they will learn valuable life lessons in how to manage their money as well. Well, all of that is true. However, they aren't learning about having expenses. "Regular" students have to pay for tuition, room & board, parking expenses, gym memberships, tutors, private trainers, any travel they do, etc plus they don't have special meals prepared for them, charter flights/bus trips, thousands of dollars of gear given to them every year, etc. Now that student=athletes are free to earn money on top of all that the scholarship covers, why shouldn't they have to pay expenses like the "regular" students?


Hoopsmom



Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 401



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/15/21 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

99% of the women’s players will not make much, if any, money off of NIL. But they do have jobs. They work at basketball. They work their asses off, sometimes four to six hours a day in the summer, all summer long. They get a 2-1/2 week break in May, and a two week break at the end of July / beginning of August. When they get back in August, until the end of March, they will be putting in many hours a day, between lifts, physical training, and basketball practice, plus team meetings. This is in addition to their class work, where they have some pretty darn good grade point averages in tough classes. My daughter competes with and against many girls who are future doctors, nurses, accountants, therapists, and teachers. These girls gave up a lot of their youth, middle school and high school years, to get where they are. You might not like it, but they have earned it. They have earned the right to have their scholarships paid, to have somebody create and cook game day meals, to drive them to the airport to take them on a road trip. They are using the talents that God gave them, But they also had to put in the work. A lot of hard work.

As a comparison, my son is in the army. He worked really hard at both the physical and mental parts of basic training, AIT, and an advanced training class, and graduated at or near the top of all 3. When we went to his graduation, there were people in the stands complaining about the time their soldier has to be committed to the army. But that was their choice, and the Army does provide everything they need. My son has a very tough mental job, but he works really hard to do his best to protect our country. He has a year of college left, and the Army will pay for it, including his living expenses. He worked hard to earn it, the same as his sister working hard to earn her basketball scholarship.


purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2694
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/15/21 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
99% of the women’s players will not make much, if any, money off of NIL. But they do have jobs. They work at basketball. They work their asses off, sometimes four to six hours a day in the summer, all summer long. They get a 2-1/2 week break in May, and a two week break at the end of July / beginning of August. When they get back in August, until the end of March, they will be putting in many hours a day, between lifts, physical training, and basketball practice, plus team meetings. This is in addition to their class work, where they have some pretty darn good grade point averages in tough classes. My daughter competes with and against many girls who are future doctors, nurses, accountants, therapists, and teachers. These girls gave up a lot of their youth, middle school and high school years, to get where they are. You might not like it, but they have earned it. They have earned the right to have their scholarships paid, to have somebody create and cook game day meals, to drive them to the airport to take them on a road trip. They are using the talents that God gave them, But they also had to put in the work. A lot of hard work.

As a comparison, my son is in the army. He worked really hard at both the physical and mental parts of basic training, AIT, and an advanced training class, and graduated at or near the top of all 3. When we went to his graduation, there were people in the stands complaining about the time their soldier has to be committed to the army. But that was their choice, and the Army does provide everything they need. My son has a very tough mental job, but he works really hard to do his best to protect our country. He has a year of college left, and the Army will pay for it, including his living expenses. He worked hard to earn it, the same as his sister working hard to earn her basketball scholarship.


I get all of that (was a coach for a long time). That's why the full scholarship is such a great thing because they got "paid" for all those hours by getting a college degree and graduating free from debt, which put them way, way ahead of the vast majority of students. In addition to the free degree, they get free tutors, free meals, free travel, free gear, free use of athletic facilities, trainers at no cost, etc. I say free because it doesn't cost them out of pocket, but they certainly put in a lot of time on their sport and that is how they get paid. But now that getting a $125,000+ education at no cost along with a monthly stipend is not enough and they can earn money on top of that, maybe they need to also incur some of the expenses?

And I get what you're saying, but the rules were changed for all, not just the few that may be able to capitalize on them.


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 13734
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/15/21 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
... I seriously believe we are witnessing the beginning of the end times for NCAA athletics and I don't know what will happen after the crash, but I expect it will be ugly.


I hear your fear, but.....it may not be all that.

My concern is how (the lust for) money inevitably brings negative consequences.



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 6965
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/20/21 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Book Paige Bueckers For Your Next Event"

https://www.athletespeakers.com/speaker/paige-bueckers
Michael



Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 493



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/28/21 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Michael wrote:
... I seriously believe we are witnessing the beginning of the end times for NCAA athletics and I don't know what will happen after the crash, but I expect it will be ugly.


I hear your fear, but.....it may not be all that.

My concern is how (the lust for) money inevitably brings negative consequences.


Alabama's starting QB has already inked over $1,000,000.00 in deals and the whole Miami Football team is getting a monthly stipend for their NIL. This time next year, it will be so bad the old Alabama handshake line will look like pocket change in comparison.



_________________
Michael
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin