RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Covid year eligibility for seniors/grad transfers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PG4ever

PostPosted: 03/24/21 11:42 pm    ::: Covid year eligibility for seniors/grad transfers Reply Reply with quote

We're down to the Sweet 16 and I'm interested to know which seniors/grad transfers will stick with their current team, transfer to another school for their covid year or hang up the sneakers. Who would you like to see come back? I would love to see Akienreh Johnson (grad student) and Hailey Brown (senior) come back to Michigan for another year. As senior and grad student athletes announce their plans, please post the news here.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/25/21 6:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Minnesota’s two, Gadiva Hubbard and Laura Bagwell Katalinich, will be back with the rest of the roster as of yesterday’s news cycle.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/25/21 6:47 am    ::: Re: Covid year eligibility for seniors/grad transfers Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
I would love to see Akienreh Johnson (grad student) and Hailey Brown (senior) come back to Michigan for another year. As senior and grad student athletes announce their plans, please post the news here.

Ditto on AK and Hailey from a Michigan fan perspective. AK, in our MSW program, may need to step away from basketball in order to get her counseling hours in. Who knows how that works in this environment... Covid has been especially difficult for international players. Hailey probably would want to see her family in Canada sometime (and, assuming they are still together, her NBA boyfriend).

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/25/21 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would love to see Kianna Williams or Anna Wilson back but I don't think it will happen. I think there is only one scholie available.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/25/21 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I would love to see Kianna Williams or Anna Wilson back but I don't think it will happen. I think there is only one scholie available.

I don't know how it all works, but I thought coaches could get exceptions next year to exceed the scholarship limit to accommodate those who want to return?

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/25/21 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I don't know how it all works, but I thought coaches could get exceptions next year to exceed the scholarship limit to accommodate those who want to return?

If the school can afford to (and wishes to) bring back this season’s seniors, those extra scholarships don’t count towards the normal annual limit. That’s my reading of the NCAA rules. Schools don’t need to apply for an exception. But the schools will need to stretch their budgets to cover the additional scholarship expenses.

UK1996

PostPosted: 03/25/21 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe Keke Mckinney will return to Kentucky. Tatyana Wyatt may return also.

PostPosted: 03/25/21 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tiana Mangakahia has played her last game at Syracuse. Kiara Lewis, Amaya Finkley, Digna Strautmane, and Maeva Djaldi-Tbadi have not made a decision yet, per the an article from Syracuse.com today.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 03/25/21 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BYU Will have four players returning for the extra year of eligibility. This includes Paisley Harding and Sara Hamson.

For Gonzaga, Cierra Walker will return.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/25/21 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keyen Green, grad transfer from Liberty, who tore her ACL early in the season, will return to Tennessee. I wish Anne Diouf, JMU’s transfer from Georgia Tech, would return, but I think she has other plans. I don’t know the status of the other grad transfer, Morgan Smith. She wasn’t honored on Senior Night, so she may.

PostPosted: 03/27/21 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

trying to get a roundup on my squads:

St. John's: Qadashah Hoppie is definitely taking an extra year; I'm actually wondering if her shoulder injury would make her eligible for a redshirt year as well, or if she would at some point want to get on with life after college. I think Raven Farley is also coming back.

Seton Hall: right now three out of the four seniors (Alexia Allesch, Desiree Elmore, and Jasmine Smith) are in the transfer portal. The fourth is Andra Espinoza-Hunter, who is listed on the Hall's 2021-22 roster. If she announced she was transferring again, I would simply assume I was in a Monty Python sketch and announce that this is entirely too silly.

Fordham: The Rams honored Ralene Kwiatkowski, Katie McLoughlin, and Lauren Murphy for Senior Day, which to me implies that Kendell Heremaia and Edona Thaqi are taking the extra year. Which is good because I would have to fight COVID personally like Fantastic Voyage if it made me miss Kene's senior day.

Michigan: busy rn, call back after we upset errybody Razz

Florida State: haven't seen anything yet, but please please please let Tiana England have a good and proper send off, I will go up to BC if I have to

(now with spelling variations)
PG4ever

PostPosted: 03/27/21 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of Michigan, I'm proud of my team. Wish they could have gotten the W against Baylor--it was there. Great year given everything. Go Blue!

blaase22

PostPosted: 03/27/21 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why do they get a free year again? Most completed their seasons last yesr and this year? Laughing

PG4ever

PostPosted: 03/27/21 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a blanket extra year, meaning Duke basketball students athletes (who didn't play much at all this year) get it and so do student athletes whose teams had fewer disruptions. That's just what the NCAA decided for this year.

Last edited by PG4ever on 03/28/21 8:48 am; edited 2 times in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/27/21 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Why do they get a free year again? Most completed their seasons last yesr and this year? Laughing

Because the NCAA says so. Isn’t that reason enough?

PostPosted: 03/28/21 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dumb dumb dumb ruling

pilight

PostPosted: 03/28/21 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:

Why are they limited to four years to begin with? They're all just made up numbers.

PostPosted: 03/28/21 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NCAA offered the extra year to avoid having mass exit of players for the year. They believed, and many people also believe, that players would have sat out the year rather than lose a year of eligibility due to COVID uncertainty.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/28/21 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:

Many teams had 10+ fewer games and most had very few OOC games. It was by no means normal.

blaase22

PostPosted: 03/28/21 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

Many teams had 10+ fewer games and most had very few OOC games. It was by no means normal.

Same with spring sports but I guess they aint getting two years...

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/28/21 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

Same with spring sports but I guess they aint getting two years...

Unfortunately, spring sports don't have the leverage of winter and fall sports.

(now with spelling variations)
Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 03/28/21 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since all players this year have to “opt in” to the draft, due to the extra eligibility year, is there a list somewhere showing which players have done so?

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/28/21 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

It was more normal than every player being given an extra year, imo.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 03/28/21 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another (minor) thing to consider, is that each school gets to take an overseas trip every four years. Quite a few teams were scheduled last summer and had to skip that trip, and thus many of this year’s seniors never got it. Some of those teams are making up that trip this year, which will allow any senior staying to enjoy this benefit. In addition, many teams were scheduled for tropical holiday tournaments, which were also canceled. Our team was supposed to go to Greece. While that has not been rescheduled, there is talk of taking the girls to a holiday tournament, which is a benefit they have worked very hard for.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 03/30/21 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cubaj and Fletcher are both returning for GeoTech

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: