RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Baylor 2021-2022
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/25/21 5:32 pm    ::: Baylor 2021-2022 Reply Reply with quote

Just Because.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/25/21 5:40 pm    ::: Re: Baylor 2021-2022 Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Just Because.

Man, I bet Tina Langley regrets taking that Washington job so fast. She would've been a perfect fit for Baylor.

This is the biggest coaching move since Gail left Duke.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/25/21 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So based on what we know now, who wins the Big 12 next year? I realize this is an impossible question to answer until rosters and coaches are finalized.

Baylor: Perennial powerhouse but Mulkey is leaving. Who is hired? Which players leave?

Texas: Coming off a surprise run to the Elite 8 during Schaefer's first season. What does this team look like post-Collier?

ISU: Had a good showing in the NCAA tournament. Returns its leading scorers in Joens and Donarksi as well as starting PG Emily Ryan. Lost some players who played a lot of minutes to transfer/graduation as well.

WV: Best player Kysre Gondrezick is gone.

OSU: Best player Natasha Mack is gone.

Oklahoma: Jennie Baranczyk's first season.

Apologies for leaving the other schools off, but I admit I don't know much about them.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/26/21 6:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
So based on what we know now, who wins the Big 12 next year? I realize this is an impossible question to answer until rosters and coaches are finalized.

Baylor: Perennial powerhouse but Mulkey is leaving. Who is hired? Which players leave?

Texas: Coming off a surprise run to the Elite 8 during Schaefer's first season. What does this team look like post-Collier?

ISU: Had a good showing in the NCAA tournament. Returns its leading scorers in Joens and Donarksi as well as starting PG Emily Ryan. Lost some players who played a lot of minutes to transfer/graduation as well.

Apologies for leaving the other schools off, but I admit I don't know much about them.

If even half of what is being said on SIC’EM is True, the Baylor administration, athletic and otherwise, Have an uphill battle to fight to re-earn the good graces of Baylor women’s basketball fans, some of which could be pretty big donors. Not to mention, how many of the current players are going to stay around if they feel upper management ran off their favorite coach. Kim was hot when the rest of Baylor was not and some could argue she got the ball rolling in terms of putting the Bears on the map And setting the groundwork for recent successes in their football, volleyball, and men’s basketball programs not to mention some of the other sports.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/26/21 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

My guess would be Texas or Baylor. Vic Schaefer is a big winner in all this, imo.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/26/21 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

My guess would be Texas or Baylor. Vic Schaefer is a big winner in all this, imo.

It's a good thing that the Big XII got Vic, because Kim has been keeping that conference relevant for a while. If Vic stayed at State and Kim left Baylor, the B12 would seem very, very ordinary. I expected Vic to overtake Baylor soon as Texas is just a way easier sell to recruits than Baylor is.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/27/21 5:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just some thoughts.

Vic will continue to build Texas. It will hurt tho, because having Baylor as a punching partner to constantly push the standard might mean short comings on the national scene.

Carey and Fennelly are about the same. As long as they finish on top half of league and make it into the second weekend once every 4-5 years, all is good. Too bad as I think Iowa likes their basketball and Ames in the past has turned out.

Littrell puts together some great JUCo supported teams but He’s under less pressure to perform then Iowa State and West Virginia.

The Kansas programs are a mess and in need of coaching change.

Gerlich looks like she’s trying to put an AAU team together for her daughter and her daughters bestie at Texas Tech.

I don’t know About TCU.

I think the right hire at Baylor could keep things rolling. But that athletic East is different now. Kim could be brash because for years she was the athletic department. Now other coaches have tasted success and someone coming in with a similar temperament might be off-putting.

I think Oklahoma has great potential. Baranczyk, who is not a big name in the prospect-rich Texas-Oklahoma area made some great choices in her coaching staff in grabbing 1) a local high school coach with ties to the local AAU programs and a 2) young woman who played in the final 4 (and who most recently had ties to the state of Arkansas).

Looking at undersized_posts list What stands out is how many old white geezers are head coaches in the league. Is this the P5 league that has the least head coach turnover? Given that, while it’s not remarkable that Kim was able to dominate the league, it’s impressive that she was able to make the splash at the national level.

Last edited by NoDakSt on 04/27/21 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/27/21 5:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just some thoughts.

Vic will continue to build Texas. It will hurt tho, because having Baylor as a punching partner to constantly push the standard might mean short comings on the national scene.

Carey and Fennelly are about the same. As long as they finish on top half of league and make it into the second weekend once every 4-5 years, all is good. Too bad as I think Iowa likes their basketball and Ames in the past has turned out.

Littrell puts together some great JUCo supported teams but really I don’t think he’s under much pressure to perform.

The Kansas programs are a mess and in need of coaching change.

Gerlich looks like she’s trying to put an AAU team together for her daughter and her daughters bestie at Texas Tech.

I don’t know About TCU.

I think the right hire at Baylor could keep things rolling. But that athletic East is different now. Kim could be brash because for years she was the athletic department. Now other coaches have tasted success and someone coming in with a similar temperament might be off-putting.

I think Oklahoma has great potential. Baranczyk, who is not a big name in the prospect-rich Texas-Oklahoma area made some great choices in her coaching staff in grabbing 1) a local high school coach with ties to the local AAU programs and a 2) young woman who played in the final 4 (and who most recently had ties to the state of Arkansas).

Looking at undersized_posts list What stands out is how many old white geezers are head coaches in the league. Is this the P5 league that has the least head coach turnover? Given that, while it’s not remarkable that Kim was able to dominate the league, it’s impressive that she was able to make the splash at the national level.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/27/21 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

ISU is routinely top 10 nationally in WBB attendance. Fennelly essentially built that program out of nothing. But... he hasn't made the second weekend of the NCAA tournament in 11 seasons now. He seems to be priming his son to take over after he retires which I do not respect. I'm very curious to see how Kylie Feuerbach will do at Iowa this season after transferring out of ISU.

My unsolicited Big-12 opinion: I'm definitely rooting for Baranczyk at Oklahoma. As an Iowa native but fan of the other Iowa school, I still sort of half-heartedly rooted for ISU in the Big-12. But now I don't have to do that anymore because I have a former Hawkeye to root for in Baranczyk Twisted Evil

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/29/21 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why not go after Yolette at Ole Miss ? She's passionate about her job and she's starting to become a favorite on the WCBB landscape. Baylor would be a HUGE pay raise for her !!

PostPosted: 04/29/21 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

I disagree.

From 2010-11 onward:
    Baylor went 187-9 in regular-season league play.
    Baylor won 10 conference regular season titles outright and shared the 11th.
    Baylor won 10 of 11conference tournament championships (West Virginia, in 2017, was the only other program to win the Big 12 tournament since 2011.
    Of the 10 NCAA Tournaments held in those 11 season, Baylor made the Elite Eight a 8 times with 2 national titles (2012, 2019).

In other words, during the last 11 seasons, Baylor definitely lacked a punching partner to consistently push the standard, yet was still able to be a perennial Final Four contender and have sustained national success.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nikki Collen

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Nikki Collen

A pro coach with a losing record and only a few years of major conference assistant coaching (only working for her husband). Hard to imagine this is the kind of coach Baylor had in mind when they started their search.

Apparently coaches weren't lining up for the job ...

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Nicki Collen

A pro coach with a losing record and only a few years of major conference assistant coaching (only working for her husband). Hard to imagine this is the kind of coach Baylor had in mind when they started their search.

Apparently coaches weren't lining up for the job ...

Yeah, we on the WNBA forum don’t exactly know how Baylor determined that Collen was the best person (or even a good candidate) for this job either. She’s not terribly accomplished, quite frankly. It’s a great move for her though; people generally didn’t think she’d last much longer with the Dream cuz no one thought the Dream was gonna have a good year this year (again). Twisted Evil

blaase22

PostPosted: 05/03/21 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wtf is Baylor doing Laughing

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/03/21 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:

Desperate people do desperate things.

PostPosted: 05/03/21 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

Their soooo invested in the women’s program they took a coach with a losing pro record as a replacement smh #SicOfEm Confused

PostPosted: 05/03/21 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
WACO, Texas - Baylor University Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Mack Rhoades announced Monday that former Atlanta Dream Head Coach Nicki Collen would be named the fifth Head Coach in Baylor women’s basketball history. Collen will be formally introduced Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. at the Ferrell Center.

“Today is an exciting day for Baylor University and our women’s basketball program. Nicki is a passionate leader of young women and an elite basketball mind and teacher of the game,” said Rhoades. “She is a great mission fit who shares in our vision of Preparing Champions for Life by commanding excellence both on and off the court. Nicki’s professional experience will be invaluable to developing players for the next level. Her addition sustains our commitment to the women’s basketball program at the highest level. We welcome Nicki, her husband Tom and children, Connor, Reese and Logan, to the Baylor family.”

Collen comes to Baylor from the WNBA’s Atlanta franchise, where she spent the last three seasons at the helm for the Dream. Her rookie season in Atlanta resulted in a 23-11 season in 2018, where she earned WNBA Coach of the Year honors and helped the franchise to the WNBA Playoff Semifinals.

Prior to her arrival in Atlanta, she spent two seasons under head coach Curt Miller of the Connecticut Sun, helping the franchise improve from fifth in the East Division to second from 2016 to 2017, respectively.

“I am thrilled to be the head coach at Baylor University. I believe it is the top job in the country for women’s basketball,” said Collen. “I am excited to begin working with this extremely talented team and I am grateful for the unwavering support of President Livingstone and Mack Rhoades. The success of this program speaks for itself, and I will begin working today to ensure Baylor women’s basketball continues to be a program that excels at the highest levels.”

Collen’s collegiate coaching career spanned for nine seasons prior to her WNBA arrival. She spent two seasons as an assistant at Colorado State from 2000-2002, one season at Ball State from 2002-2003, one at Louisville from 2003-2004, three at Arkansas from 2011-2014 and two at Florida Gulf Coast from 2014-2016.

Her teams’ combined record in nine seasons as an NCAA Division I assistant was 214-74, good for a .743 win percentage. As an assistant, Collen guided four different squads to the NCAA Tournament, reaching the second round in three of those seasons.

She spent six of her nine seasons as an assistant under her husband, Tom Collen’s head-coaching tenures at Colorado State, Louisville and Arkansas. She also discipled under Tracy Roller at Ball State and Karl Smesko at Florida Gulf Coast, who has the third-highest active winning percentage in NCAA Division I. Collen helped the FGCU program to a 64-9 record and the school’s first NCAA Tournament win in her two-year tenure.

In her nine seasons at the collegiate level, Collen coached three All-Americans and saw three players selected in the WNBA Draft.

“We are excited to have Nicki lead our women’s basketball program, and we look forward to welcoming her into the Baylor Family,” said Baylor President Linda A. Livingstone, Ph.D. “I appreciate the work of Mack Rhoades and his team in identifying our next coach who understands our commitment to an elite program, aligns with Baylor’s Christian mission and appreciates how we prepare champions for life at our University. After visiting personally with Coach Collen, I can’t wait to see her and our student-athletes as they represent our great University both on the court and inside the classroom as well as throughout the Waco community.”

Noticed how they only used her first WNBA Season as the benchmark for lately

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 05/03/21 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/03/21 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bump

PostPosted: 05/03/21 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe there is a reason that working at Baylor isn't a big draw in women's basketball ...

Milks26

PostPosted: 05/03/21 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's see if any players start running for the hills over this hire.

PostPosted: 05/03/21 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Quote:
WACO, Texas - Baylor University Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Mack Rhoades announced Monday that former Atlanta Dream Head Coach Nicki Collen would be named the fifth Head Coach in Baylor women’s basketball history. Collen will be formally introduced Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. at the Ferrell Center.

“Today is an exciting day for Baylor University and our women’s basketball program. Nicki is a passionate leader of young women and an elite basketball mind and teacher of the game,” said Rhoades. “She is a great mission fit who shares in our vision of Preparing Champions for Life by commanding excellence both on and off the court. Nicki’s professional experience will be invaluable to developing players for the next level. Her addition sustains our commitment to the women’s basketball program at the highest level. We welcome Nicki, her husband Tom and children, Connor, Reese and Logan, to the Baylor family.”

Collen comes to Baylor from the WNBA’s Atlanta franchise, where she spent the last three seasons at the helm for the Dream. Her rookie season in Atlanta resulted in a 23-11 season in 2018, where she earned WNBA Coach of the Year honors and helped the franchise to the WNBA Playoff Semifinals.

Prior to her arrival in Atlanta, she spent two seasons under head coach Curt Miller of the Connecticut Sun, helping the franchise improve from fifth in the East Division to second from 2016 to 2017, respectively.

“I am thrilled to be the head coach at Baylor University. I believe it is the top job in the country for women’s basketball,” said Collen. “I am excited to begin working with this extremely talented team and I am grateful for the unwavering support of President Livingstone and Mack Rhoades. The success of this program speaks for itself, and I will begin working today to ensure Baylor women’s basketball continues to be a program that excels at the highest levels.”

Collen’s collegiate coaching career spanned for nine seasons prior to her WNBA arrival. She spent two seasons as an assistant at Colorado State from 2000-2002, one season at Ball State from 2002-2003, one at Louisville from 2003-2004, three at Arkansas from 2011-2014 and two at Florida Gulf Coast from 2014-2016.

Her teams’ combined record in nine seasons as an NCAA Division I assistant was 214-74, good for a .743 win percentage. As an assistant, Collen guided four different squads to the NCAA Tournament, reaching the second round in three of those seasons.

She spent six of her nine seasons as an assistant under her husband, Tom Collen’s head-coaching tenures at Colorado State, Louisville and Arkansas. She also discipled under Tracy Roller at Ball State and Karl Smesko at Florida Gulf Coast, who has the third-highest active winning percentage in NCAA Division I. Collen helped the FGCU program to a 64-9 record and the school’s first NCAA Tournament win in her two-year tenure.

In her nine seasons at the collegiate level, Collen coached three All-Americans and saw three players selected in the WNBA Draft.

“We are excited to have Nicki lead our women’s basketball program, and we look forward to welcoming her into the Baylor Family,” said Baylor President Linda A. Livingstone, Ph.D. “I appreciate the work of Mack Rhoades and his team in identifying our next coach who understands our commitment to an elite program, aligns with Baylor’s Christian mission and appreciates how we prepare champions for life at our University. After visiting personally with Coach Collen, I can’t wait to see her and our student-athletes as they represent our great University both on the court and inside the classroom as well as throughout the Waco community.”

Noticed how they only used her first WNBA Season as the benchmark for lately

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

We know the key ingredient to that winning season was Angel.🙂

PostPosted: 05/03/21 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

Their soooo invested in the women’s program they took a coach with a losing pro record as a replacement smh #SicOfEm Confused

Ohhh, my. Shocked

PostPosted: 05/04/21 3:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Maybe there is a reason that working at Baylor isn't a big draw in women's basketball ...

Cool fuck that whole institution. 90% chance Tommy boy will be an AC. Two incomes are better than one. The Big 12 is a fucking dumpster fire next year.

What's up in Atlanta, tho?

PostPosted: 05/04/21 4:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Egbo, Smith, Bickle.and transfer Jordan Lewis are among those who have at least initially indicated they are in support of this hire. If these players stick around it’s a good nucleus for at least one more year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: