RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2022 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 09/21/21 7:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:

However, defensively she is pretty good and while she has mucho liability in terms of being a scorer in traffic, she does have ability on offense, kind of like Brianna Turner on alley oops and high-low slides to the rim. ONO is also a good passer from up top. When I say SERVICABLE BACKUP, that's what I mean. Smile

ONO has defensive potential, but she's still very raw. I remember posting before the 2019 Draft that Brianna Turner was the best defensive player in the draft. She had noticeably superior shotblocking technique. ONO mostly blocks shots based on height and length. It takes more than that at the next level. Also, Turner averaged 14.5 ppg for her career at Notre Dame, playing mostly against P5 schools. Brianna was really good at cutting and getting putbacks. She was also very smart about using her speed to get run-out baskets. So, Turner was also far better than ONO on the offensive end.

As far as being a serviceable WNBA backup goes, look at all the much better players who have struggled to hang on even as backups: Gustafson, Kalani Brown, Cox, Anigwe, Alanna Smith, Mompremier, Brewer, Collier, Mack, etc. ONO isn't anywhere near as accomplished as any of these players. For that matter, neither are most of the post players in the upcoming draft. However, they and ONO all have another full season to improve. So let's see who can actually raise her game.

PostPosted: 09/21/21 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Let the power of the sparks shine through this lottery!!

I want: Christyn Williams & NaLyssa Smith. Who do you want to see call the Dub home next?

Ill take Smith but i dont want Williams. Shes a Tiff Williams redux who cannot shoot consistently . Austin is #1 Priority in this draft if we can get close enough to take her.

I didn't think about her until after I hit send and instead of mentioning her, I said the hell with and rode with my choices đŸ€“

I would like to see Austin in Dallas. Didn’t she torchTennessee when they played? So she gets up for big games. I do feel Christyn Williams would be good. Saw her at the final 4 and she was the only UConn player that was playing that game. The problem is she would be adding to the logjam at the most secure position the Wings have.

I'm over Ty Harris AND Kayla Thornton to be honest with you, so either one or both can go to make room for Williams!

Where would you want Christyn Williams to play on this team ? She's not a PG , we have Arike , Marina and Alisha ? Going for another guard when were clearly hurting in the post STILL as years continue would make me end the PP WFFL campaign for life....

PostPosted: 09/21/21 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the lottery goes according to form and Dallas gets pick #4

and Howard, Smith and Austin go 1, 2, 3

who would Dallas fans want at 4?

and if N. Sabally declare for this draft any interest in a sister act with either of your 1st round picks?

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 09/21/21 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

However, defensively she is pretty good and while she has mucho liability in terms of being a scorer in traffic, she does have ability on offense, kind of like Brianna Turner on alley oops and high-low slides to the rim. ONO is also a good passer from up top. When I say SERVICABLE BACKUP, that's what I mean. Smile

ONO has defensive potential, but she's still very raw. I remember posting before the 2019 Draft that Brianna Turner was the best defensive player in the draft. She had noticeably superior shotblocking technique. ONO mostly blocks shots based on height and length. It takes more than that at the next level. Also, Turner averaged 14.5 ppg for her career at Notre Dame, playing mostly against P5 schools. Brianna was really good at cutting and getting putbacks. She was also very smart about using her speed to get run-out baskets. So, Turner was also far better than ONO on the offensive end.

As far as being a serviceable WNBA backup goes, look at all the much better players who have struggled to hang on even as backups: Gustafson, Kalani Brown, Cox, Anigwe, Alanna Smith, Mompremier, Brewer, Collier, Mack, etc. ONO isn't anywhere near as accomplished as any of these players. For that matter, neither are most of the post players in the upcoming draft. However, they and ONO all have another full season to improve. So let's see who can actually raise her game.

I see your points, and I'm really not advocating for ONO, but most of those players you mention don't have the athleticism she does. I get that they were more effective in the college game, especially offensively. They have more skill, but the W chews up many skilled players. Gustafson is a prime example of that college to W leap many struggle with. Brown and Collier are plodders.

Do I claim ONO will make a roster? No. But, I think she has POTENTIAL to be a serviceable BACKUP for somebody. Smile

Milks26

PostPosted: 09/21/21 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

and if N. Sabally declare for this draft any interest in a sister act with either of your 1st round picks?

Big no!

If Austin is gone by then assuming Dallas gets the #4 pick - I'd like Cunane at the 5 (Carter - maybbbe). Rae Burrell would not be terrible either .

Last edited by Milks26 on 09/21/21 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
DFWub2018

PostPosted: 09/21/21 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Let the power of the sparks shine through this lottery!!

I want: Christyn Williams & NaLyssa Smith. Who do you want to see call the Dub home next?

Ill take Smith but i dont want Williams. Shes a Tiff Williams redux who cannot shoot consistently . Austin is #1 Priority in this draft if we can get close enough to take her.

I didn't think about her until after I hit send and instead of mentioning her, I said the hell with and rode with my choices đŸ€“

I would like to see Austin in Dallas. Didn’t she torchTennessee when they played? So she gets up for big games. I do feel Christyn Williams would be good. Saw her at the final 4 and she was the only UConn player that was playing that game. The problem is she would be adding to the logjam at the most secure position the Wings have.

I'm over Ty Harris AND Kayla Thornton to be honest with you, so either one or both can go to make room for Williams!

Where would you want Christyn Williams to play on this team ? She's not a PG , we have Arike , Marina and Alisha ? Going for another guard when were clearly hurting in the post STILL as years continue would make me end the PP WFFL campaign for life....

UGH...you're right, dammitt!!!đŸ˜„

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 09/21/21 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Rae Burrell is my choice.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/21/21 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

______ X's 2

PostPosted: 09/21/21 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any Unknown Early Declarations possible ? Somebody look up Haley Jones and Aaliyah Bostons Birthday already Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 09/21/21 12:48 pm    ::: Re: 2022 WNBA Mock Draft Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Any Unknown Early Declarations possible ? Somebody look up Haley Jones and Aaliyah Bostons Birthday already Laughing Laughing Laughing

Check out the first post in the thread that Shades is maintaining:

Shades wrote:

Notable draft eligible underclassmen
Kierstan Bell, Florida Gulf Coast
Ayoka Lee, Kansas State
Sedona Prince, Oregon
Nyara Sabally, Oregon

PostPosted: 09/21/21 1:49 pm    ::: Re: 2022 WNBA Mock Draft Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Shades wrote:

Ayoka Lee, Kansas State
Sedona Prince, Oregon
Nyara Sabally, Oregon

Those are the known eligible declares. The main players these days hide their DOB from online websites. Try finding Bostons or Jones those are the two id want to know. I dont think Jones is eligible but im not 100% sure.

PostPosted: 09/21/21 1:51 pm    ::: Re: 2022 WNBA Mock Draft Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Shades wrote:

Ayoka Lee, Kansas State
Sedona Prince, Oregon
Nyara Sabally, Oregon

Those are the known eligible declares. The main players these days hide their DOB from online websites. Try finding Bostons or Jones those are the two id want to know. I dont think Jones is eligible but im not 100% sure.

Could be wrong but the question of Boston's eligibility came up before and the answer was no I believe.

Milks26

PostPosted: 09/21/21 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Neither is eligible.

Boston especially was the younger of her top rated underclassmen at SC

PostPosted: 09/21/21 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

______ X's 2

I'm still waiting on your game plan if you were in Greg Bibbs shoes đŸ„ž? I usually agree with most of your strategy, so what you got????

Shades

PostPosted: 09/21/21 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
ONO has defensive potential, but she's still very raw.

If she’s raw, she’s going to right place. Only thing is she might get pushed for playing time because she’s on a talented team, unlike a team like Mississippi or Delaware, where she might look like the lone star.

root_thing wrote:

Instead of listing a bunch of “accomplished” players and saying if they can’t make it in the WNBA then nobody can, why not look at each player individually to examine why they haven’t made it and see if any of these things apply to the player in comparison? Wouldn’t that be more useful?

Gustafson - Needs to build strength
KBrown - Needed to get into better condition
Cox - Has been sick or injured most of her time in league
Anigwe - Attitude problems
ASmith - Mercury fans could probably tell you more than I, nagging injury issues? Not sure how she makes an “accomplished” list other than having accomplished having Root like her more as a draft prospect than Magbegor.
Mompremier - I think she’s doing just fine considering how much playing time the bench gets in Connecticut. I know she’s one of the fastest bigs I’ve seen get up and down the court.
Brewer - Shouldn’t really be on an accomplished list in the first place. Not sure what her issue was but I’m not sure she’s even playing overseas.
Collier - Just her rookie season on a team that doesn’t like to play rookies.
Mack - okstateguy tried to warn us about her but myrtle chased him off. Seems like he’s owed an apology. Mack “accomplished” to fool a lot of us, but maybe she’ll be a good comeback candidate. Making a WNBA roster is tough egg to crack.

How about Kiah Stokes? How does she compare to ONO? Came from the same college. Wasn’t Stokes a bench player for them? Even if she wasn’t, she was hardly a star player for them. How dare she become the #11 pick and stick around this long considering her lack of accomplishments. Maybe one of the biggest accomplishments is making it through that UConn system.đŸ€”

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/21/21 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

______ X's 2

I'm still waiting on your game plan if you were in Greg Bibbs shoes đŸ„ž? I usually agree with most of your strategy, so what you got????

the _____ X's 2 means me as well. Burrell would be the choice if we cannot get 1 of the top 3 . Howard , Austin , Smith.

PostPosted: 09/21/21 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

______ X's 2

the _____ X's 2 means me as well. Burrell would be the choice if we cannot get 1 of the top 3 . Howard , Austin , Smith.

Yeah, I knew what you meant by that, I was hoping you had some juicy trade proposals or cuts in mindđŸ€“đŸ€“đŸ€“

Cooper2009

PostPosted: 09/21/21 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:

If she’s raw, she’s going to right place. Only thing is she might get pushed for playing time because she’s on a talented team, unlike a team like Mississippi or Delaware, where she might look like the lone star.

root_thing wrote:

Instead of listing a bunch of “accomplished” players and saying if they can’t make it in the WNBA then nobody can, why not look at each player individually to examine why they haven’t made it and see if any of these things apply to the player in comparison? Wouldn’t that be more useful?

ASmith - Mercury fans could probably tell you more than I, nagging injury issues? Not sure how she makes an “accomplished” list other than having accomplished having Root like her more as a draft prospect than Magbegor.
Mompremier - I think she’s doing just fine considering how much playing time the bench gets in Connecticut. I know she’s one of the fastest bigs I’ve seen get up and down the court.
Brewer - Shouldn’t really be on an accomplished list in the first place. Not sure what her issue was but I’m not sure she’s even playing overseas.
Mack - okstateguy tried to warn us about her but myrtle chased him off. Seems like he’s owed an apology. Mack “accomplished” to fool a lot of us, but maybe she’ll be a good comeback candidate. Making a WNBA roster is tough egg to crack.

How about Kiah Stokes? How does she compare to ONO? Came from the same college. Wasn’t Stokes a bench player for them? Even if she wasn’t, she was hardly a star player for them. How dare she become the #11 pick and stick around this long considering her lack of accomplishments. Maybe one of the biggest accomplishments is making it through that UConn system.đŸ€”

Stokes is much much better defensively especially when she first came out of college but about the same offensively from what I’ve seen. So that isn’t necessarily a sign of great things to come in the future when drafting ONO.

PostPosted: 09/21/21 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:

root_thing wrote:

Where in my post do I say anything remotely like "if they can’t make it in the WNBA then nobody can"? I was drawing a comparison between ONO, who has put up very mediocre numbers playing in weak conferences to players who have put up much bigger stats in tougher conferences. I don't think describing those players as being more accomplished is any kind of an exaggeration.

As for Stokes, I posted after her junior season, before serious discussion of the draft, that I'd take her over any forward on the Liberty. Of course, that was a low bar because NY was starting Avery Warley-Talbot at PF. Smile Nonetheless, Kiah had the pro body, good athletic ability, and she was a good shotblocker as well as a strong rebounder. I'm not sure what ONO is currently good at that's useable at the next level. As I stated before, her shotblocking is primarily based on length and athletic ability. It's not like she uses timing or positioning. That explains why she often gets into foul trouble. Olivia's passing is pretty good, but post players don't get drafted based on passing ability. And compared to all the players mentioned above, Olivia needs strength more than any of them -- either that or she needs to play tougher. That brings us to the most important point -- ONO seems to play scared against P5 competition. Those other players never look scared when I watched them, and they played in P5 conferences facing P5 competition almost every game. If ONO is intimidated by college players, what's going to happen against WNBA players?

As for Alanna Smith not being accomplished, she averaged 19.4 ppg, 8.6 rpg, and 2.2 bpg as a senior -- including .397 (81-204) 3pt shooting on high volume. I watched a lot of PAC-12 basketball that season, and she was also an excellent help defender. Anigwe won PAC-12 DPOY mostly for her rebounding, but to me Smith was the better actual defender. I remember Scott Rueck said he voted for Smith as DPOY.

I have no problem admitting that I liked Smith better than Magbegor at that point. Ezi hadn't developed a jumpshot yet. In addition, three different Australian pro coaches -- including Brondello -- chose not to start Magbegor regularly. However, like Iliana Rupert this year and Sika Kone in the 2022 draft, you never know what will happen with young foreign players. When we fans try to "scout" these players, we're usually watching old video from when the players are 17, 18, 19 years old. We don't even get the most recent video when they might have turned 20. Recently, we saw Rupert in the Olympics making a bunch of midrange jumpers against Team USA. You won't find that in her old videos. So, it's a roll of the dice. Anyone ready to jump on the Sika Kone bandwagon now? Anyway, since Smith was drafted higher than Magbegor, I clearly was not the only one who felt she was the safer bet. And remember, even Mike Thibault who is lauded for drafting Emma Meesseman actually took Nadirah McKenith two slots earlier.

PostPosted: 09/22/21 12:24 am    ::: Re: 2022 WNBA Mock Draft Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Shades wrote:

Ayoka Lee, Kansas State
Sedona Prince, Oregon
Nyara Sabally, Oregon

Players who have played for youth national teams generally cannot hide their DOBs since FIBA kind of frowns on countries playing people who are too old. Here are their FIBA profiles:
http://www.fiba.basketball/womensamericup/2021/player/Haley-Jones
http://www.fiba.basketball/womensamericup/2021/player/Aliyah-Boston

Speaking of 2023-eligibles, I wonder when in the day Cameron Brink was born as she just squeezes in with a December 31st birthday, which I suppose also carries tax considerations.
Shades

PostPosted: 10/28/21 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last edited by Shades on 10/28/21 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 10/28/21 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is the box score from Baylor’s exhibition game against Texas A&M Commerce.

Players of interest are NaLyssa Smith, Queen Egbo, and possibly Mulkey’s grad transfer guard of the season, Jordan Lewis from Alabama. Even though she was a Mulkey recruit, looks like she decided to stay at Baylor.

Baylor is looking thin on the bench, so they should be relying heavily on the starters.

Last edited by Shades on 11/01/21 1:40 am; edited 2 times in total
awhom111

PostPosted: 10/31/21 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As everyone knows, I like to bring up unusual draft possibilities. Stephanie Soares got hurt last season after being the reigning NAIA player of the year. They had their first non-exhibition game yesterday and are still working her in slowly off the bench. Will be interesting to see if she opts for her extra year or goes pro with or without draft declaration.
okstateguy

PostPosted: 11/04/21 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I wouldn't say I'm owed an apology, just differences of opinion. My opinion was just at a more advanced stage because I watched her play more. I know she has attempted and made a 3 in her Euro League, but every video I've seen(only a few) shows the same two post moves that make her game so predictable. All that said, it seems like she is at least attempting to improve her game, so she should definitely be in someone's training camp next year.

PostPosted: 11/04/21 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I said from Day 1 that Mack would have trouble scoring at the next level without help. But on the right team, one would think she could at least score on putbacks and backdoor cuts. This is a player who averaged 19.8 ppg as a senior. The ball had to go through the net for her some of the time. Brianna Turner has been successful as a pro without much more than two offensive moves. What she does is score on runouts, putbacks, and backdoor cuts. While defenses are focused on Griner, Taurasi, and Diggins, Brianna sneaks around like an assassin. But the main reason Turner is on the floor is because of her defense and rebounding. Likewise, I see Mack as someone who can help a team on defense. If you watched her in college, Natasha not only averaged 4 blocks per game, but she also averaged 2 steals and tipped a lot of other balls that resulted in turnovers. Turner is an athletic 6-4 with a 6-11 wingspan and good anticipation. I find it hard to believe she can't be useful to a team somewhere. Don't be surprised if Mack returns to Chicago. The Sky probably can't afford Dolson, and Ndour-Falls is also out of contract. They'll need to restock their bench with inexpensive players. Mack is someone they liked enough to bring back mutiple times during the season.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 9 of 40

Jump to: