RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2022 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/20/21 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
What Austin didn't want to be was strictly a low post center. I never heard her say anything about not wanting to be a center or being interested in a five-out system. "Kira" wanted to be free to use her complete game. That means handling the ball and driving to the basket when the opportunity arises as well as shooting more jumpers.

As I've said before, I didn't like Austin at Maryland. However, I watched her a few times at Mississippi, and now she looks much more multi-dimensional. Couple that with superior athletic ability in terms of fluidity of movement for a tall player, and I think she has a higher ceiling than any post player in the draft. In terms of production, her stats this past season were as good or better than Smith and Cunane. Austin's numbers aren't as good as Hillmon's, but as others have noted, Hillmon has to prove that she is more than just an undersized low post scorer.

The ole Miss Version of Austin was better than the Maryland version imo. Shakira is the real deal although i dont picture her as a center neither. More of a Big SF or PF with finesse and a mid range game.

PostPosted: 09/20/21 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Full three rounds @ https://www.lines.com/wnba/drafts

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ucbart

PostPosted: 09/20/21 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

If Shakira Austin slips past 3, I'll be shocked...and a GM should be fired. Her upside, at her height, is crazy.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/20/21 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
toad455 wrote:

If Shakira Austin slips past 3, I'll be shocked...and a GM should be fired. Her upside, at her height, is crazy.

Agreed , Any mock that has Dallas picking Joens over Austin needs to be burned in hades.

PostPosted: 09/20/21 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I haven't seen her a lot, but whenever I have done so, Burrell has really stood out.

I agree. Right now, Burrell would be my choice for the 4th lottery pick.

PostPosted: 09/20/21 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I haven't seen her a lot, but whenever I have done so, Burrell has really stood out.

Agree-Burrell has size, athleticism, skill, and most importantly - she can shoot.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/20/21 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
root_thing wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Agree-Burrell has size, athleticism, skill, and most importantly - she can shoot.

Her aggressiveness on the offensive end will be her premiere talent. This year for LV's being the Go to player will tell a lot about where she ends up in this first round. I see lottery potential as well as middle end of first round.

PostPosted: 09/20/21 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd want to see an attitude/motor improvement from Howard before I'd take her as a lottery. There's a boatload of talent, fo sho, but there always seems to be something to be desired. For me, anyway.

I also think ONO can be a serviceable back-up in the league, especially if she continues to get stronger.

Cooper2009

PostPosted: 09/20/21 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Cooper2009 wrote:

Khalya Pointer
NaLyssa Smith

I like Pointer. She has a swagger about her. But she’s more like a player who might build her resume overseas for a few seasons before getting a crack at a WNBA roster (think Wheeler). WNBA teams don’t have the roster size or patience to develop players. See, Chelsea Dungee.

If your list is a draft ranking, it’s inconceivable to me that Pointer would get drafted ahead of Smith, unless Smith has some kind of disastrous season (new coach?) and probably not even then.

Olivia Nelson-Ododa should get a mention. Compared to Austin, she may not be as skilled as her, but she’s trained at UConn. That should be worth quite a bit.

Another thing about Austin, she went to 4 different high schools and two different colleges. Is that a matter of trying to improve yourself, or a sign of a malcontent? Could she be the next Anigwe with a bad attitude towards the coaches?

Oh no! Definitely not a ranking lol

I actually forgot about ONO as well as some of the Georgia players I like including Staiti as a backup(IMO I like her more than I’ve ever like Dolson and with similar builds/skill sets…I’d take Jenna)

The problem with ONO and the training at UConn is… that just isn’t enough. That training helps people get by for 2-3 years and then… the ones who weren’t pro material fizzle out quickly but are typically kept in the league due to the pedigree. ONO isn’t a pro in my eyes. There’s no aggression, no real consistent semblance of offense, and her defense isn’t a game changer. She’s just there. And tall. She may want to take another year to develop under the Covid allowance.

PostPosted: 09/20/21 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
I'd want to see an attitude/motor improvement from Howard before I'd take her as a lottery. There's a boatload of talent, fo sho, but there always seems to be something to be desired. For me, anyway.

I also think ONO can be a serviceable back-up in the league, especially if she continues to get stronger.

ONO has physical talent, and she performs decently on the defensive end. However, except for Syracuse, she could barely score against P5 teams:

Tennessee 7 points
Arkansas 2
South Carolina 6
Syracuse 17
Iowa 4
Baylor 3
Arizona 1

ONO doesn't protect the ball when she goes up to shoot. Consequently, she gets blocked all the time despite being an athletic 6-5. After a while, Olivia gets intimidated and starts to rush wild shots. It's like watching Shook with the Liberty right now. You see Kylee in the paint guarded by someone 5-11, but she chooses to kick the ball back outside. She just looks scared. But at least Shook can shoot 3s decently. ONO likes to shoot jump-shots but doesn't hit them consistently. She needs a lot of improvement on the offensive end. Olivia does have pretty good vision and passing ability. However, that's not a primary skill that teams look for in big players.

PostPosted: 09/20/21 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:

Ono can barely score two points against teams with average height of 5”7. She’s not strong downlow and tends to get dominated by opposing elite post players in the college game. Anyone taking her in the lottery is up shits creek ! Ono has a max potential of Kia Stokes but she’s not as strong as Kia and even that is a stretch to compare. Edwards has a better shot although she’s small she’s a workhorse for her position!

PostPosted: 09/20/21 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:

Another thing about Austin, she went to 4 different high schools and two different colleges. Is that a matter of trying to improve yourself, or a sign of a malcontent? Could she be the next Anigwe with a bad attitude towards the coaches?

I don't know if Austin "went" to four high schools, but she played at three. Based on her father's comments, it sounds like he's the one behind her moves. I don't know many kids who are good at resisting pushy parents. I have no idea if he is also behind her transfer to Mississippi. The assistant coach who recruited Austin at Maryland is now at Mississippi. Supposedly, she didn't know he was switching jobs, but I'll leave it up to people to decide for themselves. As far as Maryland goes, they've had other well-known transfers including Destiny Slocum, Kiara Leslie, Taylor Mikesell, and Jenna Staiti. Not necessarily saying anything is wrong with Maryland. There's just a lot of movement these days. People enter the transfer portal to test the waters even if they end up staying put.

I feel like Maryland gets a lot of unearned crap for transfers. Folks with promise who leave MD seem not to do as well in the W as those who stay, and we know recent transfers have also transfered more than once (Slocum and Milkesell). The group they have now feels very special, and Miller and Owusu are going to be high picks in 2023. We may be looking at the highest picks since the 2006 Champions were drafted.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 09/20/21 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Let the power of the sparks shine through this lottery!!

I want: Christyn Williams & NaLyssa Smith. Who do you want to see call the Dub home next?

undersized_post

PostPosted: 09/20/21 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think there's a not insignificant Venn diagram of UConn fans who don't think ONO should be a starter yet simultaneously think she is 1st round WNBA draft pick material. Razz

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/20/21 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I want: Christyn Williams & NaLyssa Smith. Who do you want to see call the Dub home next?

Ill take Smith but i dont want Williams. Shes a Tiff Williams redux who cannot shoot consistently . Austin is #1 Priority in this draft if we can get close enough to take her.

PostPosted: 09/20/21 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Ill take Smith but i dont want Williams. Shes a Tiff Williams redux who cannot shoot consistently . Austin is #1 Priority in this draft if we can get close enough to take her.

I didn't think about her until after I hit send and instead of mentioning her, I said the hell with and rode with my choices 🤓

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/20/21 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Ill take Smith but i dont want Williams. Shes a Tiff Hayes redux who cannot shoot consistently . Austin is #1 Priority in this draft if we can get close enough to take her.

I didn't think about her until after I hit send and instead of mentioning her, I said the hell with and rode with my choices 🤓

Meant Tiff Hayes Redux

PostPosted: 09/20/21 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I would like to see Austin in Dallas. Didn’t she torchTennessee when they played? So she gets up for big games. I do feel Christyn Williams would be good. Saw her at the final 4 and she was the only UConn player that was playing that game. The problem is she would be adding to the logjam at the most secure position the Wings have.

Cooper2009

PostPosted: 09/20/21 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Ill take Smith but i dont want Williams. Shes a Tiff Hayes redux who cannot shoot consistently . Austin is #1 Priority in this draft if we can get close enough to take her.

Meant Tiff Hayes Redux

I’d like to see Austin and Burrell. Austin is a lottery pick period. Burrell because she continues to add to the versatility in the back court. She’s a good defender as well and long. Has the ability to play both the 2/3 positions skill-wise. Would be a good compliment to Arike and Satou. Currently her biggest deficiency is ballhandling/decision making. But for a 3 and D player coming right in basically…

PostPosted: 09/20/21 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I would like to see Austin in Dallas. Didn’t she torchTennessee when they played? So she gets up for big games. I do feel Christyn Williams would be good. Saw her at the final 4 and she was the only UConn player that was playing that game. The problem is she would be adding to the logjam at the most secure position the Wings have.

I'm with that.

Baylor - Smith would be alright to

PostPosted: 09/20/21 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I'm over Ty Harris AND Kayla Thornton to be honest with you, so either one or both can go to make room for Williams!

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 09/20/21 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper2009 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Meant Tiff Hayes Redux

I’d like to see Austin and Burrell. Austin is a lottery pick period. Burrell because she continues to add to the versatility in the back court. She’s a good defender as well and long. Has the ability to play both the 2/3 positions skill-wise. Would be a good compliment to Arike and Satou. Currently her biggest deficiency is ballhandling/decision making. But for a 3 and D player coming right in basically…

I like Burrell in Dallas as well, but I didn't think about her until several others started mentioning her.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 09/20/21 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When will the PPs be drawn to establish the draft order?!!

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 09/20/21 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding Burrell, she has made a huge leap from each of her college year to the next. Hopefully, that will continue this year, too. Also, if she continues like that into her WNBA infancy she could be an all-star.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 09/21/21 6:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

ONO has physical talent, and she performs decently on the defensive end. However, except for Syracuse, she could barely score against P5 teams:

Tennessee 7 points
Arkansas 2
South Carolina 6
Syracuse 17
Iowa 4
Baylor 3
Arizona 1

ONO doesn't protect the ball when she goes up to shoot. Consequently, she gets blocked all the time despite being an athletic 6-5. After a while, Olivia gets intimidated and starts to rush wild shots. It's like watching Shook with the Liberty right now. You see Kylee in the paint guarded by someone 5-11, but she chooses to kick the ball back outside. She just looks scared. But at least Shook can shoot 3s decently. ONO likes to shoot jump-shots but doesn't hit them consistently. She needs a lot of improvement on the offensive end. Olivia does have pretty good vision and passing ability. However, that's not a primary skill that teams look for in big players.

There is no player more annoying to me than ONO. Still shoots from the hip and gets her shots blocked by 5'5" guards. However, defensively she is pretty good and while she has mucho liability in terms of being a scorer in traffic, she does have ability on offense, kind of like Brianna Turner on alley oops and high-low slides to the rim. ONO is also a good passer from up top. When I say SERVICABLE BACKUP, that's what I mean. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 8 of 40

Jump to: