Board Junkies Forums

Shoni Schimmel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiseone1

PostPosted: 06/14/21 6:28 pm    ::: Shoni Schimmel Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/tmz/status/1404568471371800578?s=10

Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/14/21 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good lord, this is majorly disappointing to see. So much for being an inspiration to her community. Sad Wish she cared about her career more, maybe then her flame-out leading to this wouldn’t have happened.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 06/14/21 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's so sad. Really loved her stint in the W.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 06/15/21 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure where things went wrong but I kind of know why, at least on the basketball side of things. She was a very special player and been a star. What a great role model she was on her way to being. For whatever reason, her fitness wasn’t there after her first couple of seasons. The WNBA isn’t a league where you can play your way into shape. It’s also not like college where you have staff making diet and fitness decisions for you. You are expected to take some ownership of your fitness. WNBA aren’t normally gonna hold your hand or save you a spot no matter what (some exclusions apply).

As for the arrest, that sounds really bad and I hope that she gets help that she needs, whatever that may be (reminder that people have the presumption of innocence).

willtalk

PostPosted: 06/16/21 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Contrary to most people, I never thought she was much of a role model for her people. Now her sister was different. She really was a role model. She was someone who made the most of what she was gifted with. Shoni p!ssed away her gifts thanks to the people around her.

I followed her all through high school and she was blessed with all the intangibles of basketball- except for work ethic. It was much to easy for her and people endulged her. She jumped from high school to high school, it was her way or no way. People always remembered her big stage games she had at Louisville, but because she was a streak shooter and also also shot her team out of as many wins as she won for them.

However when she was hot she was smoking hot. As evidenced by her showing in the All Star Game in a season where she got little playing time during the rest of the season. She could get cold as quickly. I felt the Cal coach made a bit tactical error and forcused her teams defense to stop Shoni when she had already cooled off. They put so much emphasis on her that other players killed them with wide open threes. She did not know that when Shoni was cold you want her to shoot. It cost Cal a shot at UConn in the finals.

I found it sad that the combination of her presonality and circumstances not mitigated by the people around her doomed her career long before she got to the WNBA. She rode her natural gifts as far as they could take her. It wasn't only a matter of being in shape for her. She was too streaky to be a consistant contributor at the WNBA level as a starter. When your shots are not dropping you have to contribute in other ways. Those were the ways she never developed.

PostPosted: 06/16/21 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On top of the personality and conditioning issues, Schimmel also suffered a concussion which caused her to miss the 2017 season. The following year, under new coach Katie Smith, Shoni came back but couldn't make the Liberty. Bill Laimbeer gave her a second chance with his transplanted LVA franchise, but she only lasted two games.

PostPosted: 06/16/21 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
As for the arrest, that sounds really bad and I hope that she gets help that she needs, whatever that may be (reminder that people have the presumption of innocence).

Ya mean she isn't guilty until proven innocent!?! I thought that was the real American way! Razz

PostPosted: 06/16/21 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was presumably partly caused by her physical conditioning, but she was also a truly awful defensive player. At some point coaches get tired of that, unless you're a genuinely transcendent offensive player to make up for it.

PostPosted: 04/16/22 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shoni Schimmel, ex-Louisville Cardinals and WNBA player, charged with assault by strangulation of dating partner

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/33747840/shoni-schimmel-ex-louisville-cardinals-wnba-player-charged-assault-strangulation-dating-partner

Quote:
According to the federal indictment unsealed Friday, the alleged assault occurred on June 13, 2021, on the Umatilla Indian Reservation. Schimmel was initially arrested on June 14, 2021, on suspicion of multiple charges…

If convicted, Schimmel faces a maximum sentence of 15 years in federal prison, three years' supervised release, and a fine of $250,000.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 04/16/22 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The way that Shoni Schimmel's basketball career deteriorated is sad enough. This, of course, is far worse. Very troubling and distressing.

PostPosted: 04/16/22 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

Ya mean she isn't guilty until proven innocent!?! I thought that was the real American way! Razz

How about some sympathy for the victim here, who had "substantial bodily injury" per the ESPN article? Maybe that would be a more appropriate American way instead of bemoaning the trajectory of Schimmel's career.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/16/22 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Riquna Williams and Pondexter also arrested with Schimmel. Doesn't do well for Women's Basketball.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 04/16/22 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
jap wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

How about some sympathy for the victim here, who had "substantial bodily injury" per the ESPN article? Maybe that would be a more appropriate American way instead of bemoaning the trajectory of Schimmel's career.

I mainly agree with you, but would rather not put this as an either/or. I wish I'd addressed both in my earlier post. Domestic violence is a horror whether famous people are involved or not and whatever the gender of anyone involved.

PostPosted: 04/16/22 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad sad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: