RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Paige Bueckers wins the Nancy Lieberman Award . . .

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 6803
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/04/21 10:03 pm    ::: Paige Bueckers wins the Nancy Lieberman Award . . . Reply Reply with quote

. . . for best point guard in the country. She is the the first freshman ever to win this award, as she has been for so many other awards.

https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2021/4/4/womens-basketball-bueckers-named-nancy-lieberman-award-winner.aspx

Quote:
Five Huskies have won the Nancy Lieberman Award a total of nine times: Sue Bird (2000, '01, '02), Diana Taurasi (2003, '04), Renee Montgomery (2009), Moriah Jefferson (2015, '16) and Bueckers (2021).


Paige, the unprecedented, has collected more awards and hardware than any freshman in college history.
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 6308
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/21 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Disagree with this heartily. After what I've seen I would give it to McDonald.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10314
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/21 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Disagree with this heartily. After what I've seen I would give it to McDonald.



________________X AirMac proved her point no need for the awards and hype.



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
SDHoops



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 1162



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/21 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Disagree with this heartily. After what I've seen I would give it to McDonald.

An argument can be made for both Bueckers and McDonald in terms of are either a point or shooting guard. Paige had one of the best shooting percentages for 3s at one point (I stopped paying attention after so long) and McDonald actually won the Ann Meyers Drysdale award for top shooting guard in the country last season. One thing also, since Paige won all of the NPOY awards that she was eligible for, one could only assume that she'd win the top position award as well. W09, ahaha good bait. You sure loved all the hype when the Wings got it..


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10314
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/21 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Disagree with this heartily. After what I've seen I would give it to McDonald.

An argument can be made for both Bueckers and McDonald in terms of are either a point or shooting guard. Paige had one of the best shooting percentages for 3s at one point (I stopped paying attention after so long) and McDonald actually won the Ann Meyers Drysdale award for top shooting guard in the country last season. One thing also, since Paige won all of the NPOY awards that she was eligible for, one could only assume that she'd win the top position award as well. W09, ahaha good bait. You sure loved all the hype when the Wings got it..


Yes because they are professionals and my hometown team . Beuckers is a baller so not saying it was not deserved , but Aari is a dog . Paige will be too , not sure what your after here but I'm not biting.



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10862



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/21 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McDonald, however, is not a point guard. Her A/TO is 1.3 and in two of her four years she had more turnovers than assists. (She's a very good player, of course.)

Bueckers A/TO was 2.1, but I'm not sure she was a PG either, as Christyn Williams did a lot of the ballhandling.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 724
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/21 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
McDonald, however, is not a point guard. Her A/TO is 1.3 and in two of her four years she had more turnovers than assists. (She's a very good player, of course.)

Bueckers A/TO was 2.1, but I'm not sure she was a PG either, as Christyn Williams did a lot of the ballhandling.


Wait, who do you think ran the point for Arizona if not Aari?


SDHoops



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 1162



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/21 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
ClayK wrote:
McDonald, however, is not a point guard. Her A/TO is 1.3 and in two of her four years she had more turnovers than assists. (She's a very good player, of course.)

Bueckers A/TO was 2.1, but I'm not sure she was a PG either, as Christyn Williams did a lot of the ballhandling.


Wait, who do you think ran the point for Arizona if not Aari?

One year Diana Taurasi won the award and she maybe played point like a handful of possessions all season. We and the players can't control who gets them, but they sure make excpetions when they want. In Paige's case she ran point a lot as well as off the ball and would be more qualified than DT was the year she won it. I didn't watch AM enough this season but I'm assuming the case was the same with her running as much if not more point than off the ball.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10862



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/21 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
ClayK wrote:
McDonald, however, is not a point guard. Her A/TO is 1.3 and in two of her four years she had more turnovers than assists. (She's a very good player, of course.)

Bueckers A/TO was 2.1, but I'm not sure she was a PG either, as Christyn Williams did a lot of the ballhandling.


Wait, who do you think ran the point for Arizona if not Aari?


You can put someone at a position -- God knows I've done it -- but that doesn't mean they can "play" the position.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 6308
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/21 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
ClayK wrote:
McDonald, however, is not a point guard. Her A/TO is 1.3 and in two of her four years she had more turnovers than assists. (She's a very good player, of course.)

Bueckers A/TO was 2.1, but I'm not sure she was a PG either, as Christyn Williams did a lot of the ballhandling.


Wait, who do you think ran the point for Arizona if not Aari?


You can put someone at a position -- God knows I've done it -- but that doesn't mean they can "play" the position.


WTH are you talking about? How can you say she didn't/can't play it? She gave plenty of evidence.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10314
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/21 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
ClayK wrote:
McDonald, however, is not a point guard. Her A/TO is 1.3 and in two of her four years she had more turnovers than assists. (She's a very good player, of course.)

Bueckers A/TO was 2.1, but I'm not sure she was a PG either, as Christyn Williams did a lot of the ballhandling.


Wait, who do you think ran the point for Arizona if not Aari?


You can put someone at a position -- God knows I've done it -- but that doesn't mean they can "play" the position.


WTH are you talking about? How can you say she didn't/can't play it? She gave plenty of evidence.



Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10862



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/21 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
ClayK wrote:
McDonald, however, is not a point guard. Her A/TO is 1.3 and in two of her four years she had more turnovers than assists. (She's a very good player, of course.)

Bueckers A/TO was 2.1, but I'm not sure she was a PG either, as Christyn Williams did a lot of the ballhandling.


Wait, who do you think ran the point for Arizona if not Aari?


You can put someone at a position -- God knows I've done it -- but that doesn't mean they can "play" the position.


WTH are you talking about? How can you say she didn't/can't play it? She gave plenty of evidence.


Obviously she can play it. But really she's a shooting guard. My apologies for not being clear.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 6308
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/21 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
ClayK wrote:
McDonald, however, is not a point guard. Her A/TO is 1.3 and in two of her four years she had more turnovers than assists. (She's a very good player, of course.)

Bueckers A/TO was 2.1, but I'm not sure she was a PG either, as Christyn Williams did a lot of the ballhandling.


Wait, who do you think ran the point for Arizona if not Aari?


You can put someone at a position -- God knows I've done it -- but that doesn't mean they can "play" the position.


WTH are you talking about? How can you say she didn't/can't play it? She gave plenty of evidence.


Obviously she can play it. But really she's a shooting guard. My apologies for not being clear.


And where in canon law is it written that PGs are not allowed to shoot, and shoot well?



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 6803
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/21 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Bueckers A/TO was 2.1, but I'm not sure she was a PG either, as Christyn Williams did a lot of the ballhandling.


As long as we're picking nits, Bueckers played both point guard and shooting guard but it wasn't Williams who was the secondary ball handler. Nika Muhl, as both a starter and sub, would play the point when Bueckers was in the game. When Muhl wasn't available and Geno wanted Bueckers off the ball, he would use Evina Westbrook as the point. Williams was really fourth on the depth chart as ball handler.

That said, Paige Bueckers' most Platonically pure incarnation is as a point guard -- a superb combination of leading fast breaks, long passing, inside passing, and shooting off the bounce. I personally get frustrated when Geno plays her off the ball because I believe it leads to less UConn scoring rather than more. Paige has to be in control of the ball to go gunslinger -- Pistol Paige -- which she needs to do more often against good teams, a la Caitlin Clark.
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin