RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

On-the-court demeanor of Gino and Kim M

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snzuluz

PostPosted: 04/03/21 11:00 am    ::: On-the-court demeanor of Gino and Kim M Reply Reply with quote

"I've said all along this year we have a very immature group, not just young," Auriemma said. "When we're high and when we're on top of the world, we think everything's great. When things don't go our way, there's a poutiness about us, there's a feeling sorry for ourselves about us that you don't win championships when you're like that unless you get lucky." - Gene's quote from the game last night...

Isn't it funny, when UConn looses (meaning the entire team) not just the players, Gino NEVER admits maybe he got out coached or his on-the-court demeanor/possible sarcasm towards his players does not work in tense moments?...His game plan was not working and the team did not make ANY adjustments during the game. Maybe spend less time turning around and complaining to Chris Daily, but instead coach the kids.

Kim Mulkey does the same thing...their NON verbals are so discouraging for a fan to see during a game when they Baylor players make a mistake...I can only imagine how that translates to the athletes on the floor. It's one thing to be passionate as a coach, but completely another thing when the time/score situation gets tense, these two coaches negatively react to their players and their mistakes.

Arizona and Stanford players have a calm and cool collective nature on the court, even when they are not playing their best or things do not go their way...look at their coaches on the sideline...calm and cool, yet passionate...teams are an extension of their coaches.

On a side note, it has been amazing the number of times the clock is NOT stopped on the whistle correctly, and time is wasted over and over to make sure the correct time is on the board...this is happening in the men's tournament as well...if it is electronically being done now, go back to the "covered wagon days" of a human being running the clock...the flow of the games has been very choppy, especially at the end of games!

The officiating in the both men's and women's tournaments has been horrible and especially for the women in key moments of EVERY game. Easy to see: over-and-backs - fouls in the act of shooting - double dribbles - the Stanford center at one point grabbed on to the back of the SC jerseys on the fast break attempt down the court near the end of that game and no foul was called - C Williams being fouled out last night when she NEVER touched the Arizona player, etc.

Should be a good national final game, but Stanford needs to play MUCH better (something they have not done in the elite 8 and final 4) to win Sunday. They almost were playing NOT to loose in those two rounds.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/03/21 11:10 am    ::: Re: On-the-court demeanor of Gino and Kim M Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
"I've said all along this year we have a very immature group, not just young," Auriemma said. "When we're high and when we're on top of the world, we think everything's great. When things don't go our way, there's a poutiness about us, there's a feeling sorry for ourselves about us that you don't win championships when you're like that unless you get lucky." - Gene's quote from the game last night...

Isn't it funny, when UConn looses (meaning the entire team) not just the players, Gino NEVER admits maybe he got out coached or his on-the-court demeanor/possible sarcasm towards his players does not work in tense moments?...His game plan was not working and the team did not make ANY adjustments during the game. Maybe spend less time turning around and complaining to Chris Daily, but instead coach the kids.

Kim Mulkey does the same thing...their NON verbals are so discouraging for a fan to see during a game when they Baylor players make a mistake...I can only imagine how that translates to the athletes on the floor. It's one thing to be passionate as a coach, but completely another thing when the time/score situation gets tense, these two coaches negatively react to their players and their mistakes.

Arizona and Stanford players have a calm and cool collective nature on the court, even when they are not playing their best or things do not go their way...look at their coaches on the sideline...calm and cool, yet passionate...teams are an extension of their coaches.

On a side note, it has been amazing the number of times the clock is NOT stopped on the whistle correctly, and time is wasted over and over to make sure the correct time is on the board...this is happening in the men's tournament as well...if it is electronically being done now, go back to the "covered wagon days" of a human being running the clock...the flow of the games has been very choppy, especially at the end of games!

The officiating in the both men's and women's tournaments has been horrible and especially for the women in key moments of EVERY game. Easy to see: over-and-backs - fouls in the act of shooting - double dribbles - the Stanford center at one point grabbed on to the back of the SC jerseys on the fast break attempt down the court near the end of that game and no foul was called - C Williams being fouled out last night when she NEVER touched the Arizona player, etc.

Should be a good national final game, but Stanford needs to play MUCH better (something they have not done in the elite 8 and final 4) to win Sunday. They almost were playing NOT to loose in those two rounds.

I noticed last night that Geno did not look well. Perhaps he has not completely recovered from Covid. But I think you are right about him never admitting he got out coached or his players just got out played, which they certainly did last night. It seemed Arizona just wanted it more and he could not admit that. And he didn't really seem to be coaching the kids on the court. He was trusting them to play, which you cannot do with a bunch of younger kids. You have to be constantly teaching/coaching. At least that's my view.

PostPosted: 04/03/21 11:25 am    ::: Re: On-the-court demeanor of Gino and Kim M Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:

Yeah, as you're kind of implying, I think Geno is projecting here. He looked more pouty than his players. If he felt his players looked pouty first, he fed right into it and matched their expression instead of leading.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/03/21 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is certainly some truth in all of this. Teams do tend to reflect their coaches' attitudes.
Yes, Geno has not looked healthy or as animated as we would expect/ have gotten used to him being. Hopefully he takes some time off and fully recovers his mojo.
UConn has long set such a high bar of excellence that nothing short of a championship is success in the players' or coaches' minds. This is not really a bad thing, but it does make it even harder in an emotional sense to come up short of that goal. I think there is a certain expectation of players that go to UConn that they will win multiple national championships while there and that is part of the reason they choose UConn. A final four isn't good enough so there is a lot of frustration. There has also been the expectation that Bueckers would lead them to the promised land. It is quite likely that she will do so sometime in the next couple of years, though South Carolina is certainly looming and other programs can always surprise as well. As I said elsewhere, I think it hurt them this year to be unable to get in as many quality OOC games as they have scheduled in the past. But they have three top players coming in next year, including a 6'5" post, which is where they currently have weakness. All will soon be well in Husky land.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/03/21 12:36 pm    ::: Re: On-the-court demeanor of Gino and Kim M Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
"I've said all along this year we have a very immature group, not just young," Auriemma said. "When we're high and when we're on top of the world, we think everything's great. When things don't go our way, there's a poutiness about us, there's a feeling sorry for ourselves about us that you don't win championships when you're like that unless you get lucky." - Geno's quote from the game last night...

Well... he's not wrong!

Quote:
Christyn Williams: “I think we came out with the wrong mentality. We thought it was going to be easy, I guess. We got flustered.”

Imo this says a lot about the coach where this kind of sentiment can come from. A team-wide problem like this comes from the coach & the culture the coach has created.

myrtle wrote:
There is certainly some truth in all of this. Teams do tend to reflect their coaches' attitudes.

undersized_post wrote:
I think Geno is projecting here. He looked more pouty than his players. If he felt his players looked pouty first, he fed right into it and matched their expression instead of leading.

summertime blues wrote:
But I think you are right about him never admitting he got out coached or his players just got out played, which they certainly did last night. It seemed Arizona just wanted it more and he could not admit that. And he didn't really seem to be coaching the kids on the court.

And I agree 100% with what pretty much everyone has said so far. Geno's constant criticism of his own team seems to pretty much be a reflection upon himself, whether he understands it or not. There's no excuse for the kind of collective sentiment that Christyn Williams was talking about when it comes to almost any of the Tournament games, let alone a Final Four game. If they would've just taken Arizona seriously, let's be honest – they almost certainly would've won. At what point in the game last night did anyone on UConn's side realize that winning it in fact would not be easy? Like, "Oh shit, it looks like we should've prepared ourselves more the past couple days." Laughing This kind of soundbite, should it get more scrutiny, certainly won't help UConn shake the elitist image that many people have of them!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/03/21 1:09 pm    ::: Re: On-the-court demeanor of Gino and Kim M Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
snzuluz wrote:
"I've said all along this year we have a very immature group, not just young," Auriemma said. "When we're high and when we're on top of the world, we think everything's great. When things don't go our way, there's a poutiness about us, there's a feeling sorry for ourselves about us that you don't win championships when you're like that unless you get lucky." - Geno's quote from the game last night...

Well... he's not wrong!

Quote:
Christyn Williams: “I think we came out with the wrong mentality. We thought it was going to be easy, I guess. We got flustered.”

Imo this says a lot about the coach where this kind of sentiment can come from. A team-wide problem like this comes from the coach & the culture the coach has created.

myrtle wrote:

undersized_post wrote:
I think Geno is projecting here. He looked more pouty than his players. If he felt his players looked pouty first, he fed right into it and matched their expression instead of leading.

summertime blues wrote:
But I think you are right about him never admitting he got out coached or his players just got out played, which they certainly did last night. It seemed Arizona just wanted it more and he could not admit that. And he didn't really seem to be coaching the kids on the court.

And I agree 100% with what pretty much everyone has said so far. Geno's constant criticism of his own team seems to pretty much be a reflection upon himself, whether he understands it or not. There's no excuse for the kind of collective sentiment that Christyn Williams was talking about when it comes to almost any of the Tournament games, let alone a Final Four game. If they would've just taken Arizona seriously, let's be honest – they almost certainly would've won. At what point in the game last night did anyone on UConn's side realize that winning it in fact would not be easy? Like, "Oh shit, it looks like we should've prepared ourselves more the past couple days." Laughing This kind of soundbite, should it get more scrutiny, certainly won't help UConn shake the elitist image that many people have of them!

Agreed. I think over the years Geno and the Huskies (and their fans) have developed a habit of taking themselves for granted, and this has become their downfall. Other teams see them as the giant and themselves as the giant killers and they go in loaded for bear (sorry about the mixed metaphor), and that's what's happened the last 4 times they got to the semis. Playing in a weak conference and not developing a strong bench is another thing entirely, but it does contribute. It has more to do with attitude than anything else. "Stay hungry" is a good attitude, and I don't see it coming from Geno any more.

PostPosted: 04/03/21 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

keep the armchair psychoanalysis coming folks, it's making my day a bit brighter.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/03/21 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing

keep the armchair psychoanalysis coming folks, it's making my day a bit brighter.

Happy to help, anytime. Cool I'd much rather diagnose other people's problems than deal with my own. Razz

PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/04/21 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is not about Kim or Geno but I didn't know where else to post the comment and since we're talking about poor examples of on-court behavior by the coaches, I'm posting something about just the opposite. Classy move by Aaliyah Boston, Haley Jones and Fran Belibi at the end of the Stanford-South Carolina game when Jones and Belibi came up to give Boston a hug and Boston--still crying--hugged her friends back and told them to go win the natty.

https://sports.yahoo.com/aliyah-boston-haley-jones-final-four-hug-011912214.html

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/04/21 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do you think Tara's players are more composed and not pouty because that's a reflection of Tara, or because she tries to recruit players like that, or because players that are able to get into Stanford already have a work ethic that precludes pouting? I'm not sure we can establish cause and effect.

I also agree that Geno looks unwell, although TBH I thought that predated his bout with Covid, and maybe that's affecting his performance, or maybe he's just stressed and/or burned out after a season during a pandemic.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/04/21 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
This is not about Kim or Geno but I didn't know where else to post the comment and since we're talking about poor examples of on-court behavior by the coaches, I'm posting something about just the opposite. Classy move by Aaliyah Boston, Haley Jones and Fran Belibi at the end of the Stanford-South Carolina game when Jones and Belibi came up to give Boston a hug and Boston--still crying--hugged her friends back and told them to go win the natty.

https://sports.yahoo.com/aliyah-boston-haley-jones-final-four-hug-011912214.html

I enjoyed that moment, too. Cool
In the context of this thread, I'd have to say I don't ever recall a SC or Stanford player be petulant about a bad call, etc. Definitely related to coaching, imo.

PostPosted: 04/04/21 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Do you think Tara's players are more composed and not pouty because that's a reflection of Tara, or because she tries to recruit players like that, or because players that are able to get into Stanford already have a work ethic that precludes pouting? I'm not sure we can establish cause and effect.

I also agree that Geno looks unwell, although TBH I thought that predated his bout with Covid, and maybe that's affecting his performance, or maybe he's just stressed and/or burned out after a season during a pandemic.

I think it's a combination ... but players, especially younger ones, tend to mirror the model set by coaches they respect.

PostPosted: 04/04/21 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I think it's a combination ... but players, especially younger ones, tend to mirror the model set by coaches they respect.

Exactly. They pick up behaviors from their coach, consciously or unconsciously.

PostPosted: 04/04/21 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

That is part of it, but I also believe that players may also be drawn to the coaches that they admire.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/04/21 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While we're talking about on the court demeanor... I really hope Caitlin Clark plays with a bit more emotional composure next year when her shots aren't falling, she doesn't get the foul call she wants, or her teammates don't get her the ball when she's open. I love the fire but I'd love to see it channeled into the defensive end Cool

NFL1

PostPosted: 04/05/21 8:18 am    ::: Kim and Geno's demeanor on court Reply Reply with quote

I personally cannot watch Kim's on the sideline antics. Her constant barrage of the refs (which often get rewarded). Geno doesn't jump up and down and go to the corner to scream at refs.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/05/21 11:05 am    ::: Re: Kim and Geno's demeanor on court Reply Reply with quote

NFL1 wrote:
I personally cannot watch Kim's on the sideline antics. Her constant barrage of the refs (which often get rewarded). Geno doesn't jump up and down and go to the corner to scream at refs.

I think you have to get on the refs occasionally--our Coach O certainly does, and I've seen others do it. Kellie Harper does it on occasion too. But I agree with you, Kim carries it to extremes.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It says a lot when an assistant coach has to come over and rub Geno's back to keep him calm when they are losing.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 04/09/21 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holy shit it's a good thing Geno sucks now...imagine all the millions of miserable fucks there'd be if he could still coach.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/09/21 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
It says a lot when an assistant coach has to come over and rub Geno's back to keep him calm when they are losing.

I think that was CD saying “if you would have let me coach the Entire tournament……”

osubeavers

PostPosted: 04/10/21 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

That is part of it, but I also believe that players may also be drawn to the coaches that they admire.
When you can outrecruit and outcoach your conference opponents for decades and they all still respect and hold you in highest regard, that says something.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: