RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Australian Opals 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 31104



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/12/21 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know they're likely made out of super fabric and all, but those suits still look like they would be hot and uncomfortable.


Lib Fan



Joined: 10 May 2005
Posts: 4526
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/12/21 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I know they're likely made out of super fabric and all, but those suits still look like they would be hot and uncomfortable.


You mean "Hot and Uncomfortable" to wear...maybe a bit of an
off color (not green and Yellow) posting

Wishing the Opals much good Luck in their quest for a Medal
(Of course as long at it is not Gold)



_________________
Lets Go Liberty
Brooklyn 2021
Bring Back Maddie!
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 8840



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/21 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:



Stephanie Talbot - Mercury 2017, 2018 Lynx 2019 Storm 2021
Rebecca Allen - Liberty 2015-2019, 2021
Cayla George - Mercury 2015, 2017 Wings 2018
Tess Magden
Eziyoda Magbegor - Storm 2020, 2021
Elizabeth Cambage - Shock 2011, 2013 Wings 2018 Aces 2019, 2021
Jenna O'Hea - Sparks 2011-2013 Storm 2014-2016
Leilani Mitchell - Liberty 2008 - 2013 Mercury 2015 2017-2019 Mystics 2016, 2020, 2021
Marianna Tolo - Sparks 2015
Katie-Rae Ebzery
Alanna Smith - Mercury 2019 - 2021


Luuuc
#NATC


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 21345



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/21 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tess Madgen had a brief stint with the Mercury in 2015



_________________
Is there gas in the car?
Yes there's gas in the car.
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 8840



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/21 7:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Tess Madgen had a brief stint with the Mercury in 2015


She is listed on their 2015 opening day roster. But there is no record of her ever playing in a game on basketball-reference.com which is why I didn't include her. Her player file on wnba.com confirms no minutes played. Surprising that Brondello couldn't put her in for even a minute before sending her back home. Then she could truly say she "played in the WNBA".


Coyotes



Joined: 28 Jan 2018
Posts: 1167



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/21 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Opals can win Silver! That is of course, after they lose to Nigeria in the gold medal match, with Serbia taking bronze.


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 8840



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/21 7:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I know they're likely made out of super fabric and all, but those suits still look like they would be hot and uncomfortable.


In men's track and field many sprinters have worn something that looks like the Chemist Warehouse uniforms for at least 25 years. But the distance runners are wearing more traditional track outfits making it seem like that is considered too hot for a long race. But pro bicyclists wear some similar tight fitting modern "moisture wicking" outfit (and with sleeves) and they go long distances at constant high effort.

Back in the first go round of those uniforms I remember a woman who saw the Opals play in an exhibition somewhere in the USA, complaining about those uniforms. She said that she had seen too much fish belly white skin, and mentioned one 6'5" Opal in particular.


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 23800
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/21 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Tess Madgen had a brief stint with the Mercury in 2015


She is listed on their 2015 opening day roster. But there is no record of her ever playing in a game on basketball-reference.com which is why I didn't include her. Her player file on wnba.com confirms no minutes played. Surprising that Brondello couldn't put her in for even a minute before sending her back home. Then she could truly say she "played in the WNBA".

She's on basketball-reference: https://www.basketball-reference.com/wnba/players/m/madgete01w.html



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 8840



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/21 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
tfan wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Tess Madgen had a brief stint with the Mercury in 2015


She is listed on their 2015 opening day roster. But there is no record of her ever playing in a game on basketball-reference.com which is why I didn't include her. Her player file on wnba.com confirms no minutes played. Surprising that Brondello couldn't put her in for even a minute before sending her back home. Then she could truly say she "played in the WNBA".

She's on basketball-reference: https://www.basketball-reference.com/wnba/players/m/madgete01w.html


I must have misspelled her name the way I did in the post above. I see Madgen and think Magden for some reason.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 64742
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/15/21 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/OlgunUluc/status/1415821697538662408

Quote:
The Australian Opals are discussing Liz Cambage’s future with the team for the Tokyo Olympics due to an incident that occurred in a closed-door scrimmage against Nigeria, sources told ESPN.



_________________
If you can't feed your baby
Then don't have a baby
And don't think maybe
If you can't feed your baby
Luuuc
#NATC


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 21345



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/15/21 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More on that ...
Quote:
Australian superstar Liz Cambage‘s Tokyo Olympic campaign is in doubt following multiple alleged incidents at the team’s Las Vegas camp.

It’s understood Cambage was involved in a physical altercation during a private scrimmage against Nigeria, which resulted in heated verbal abuse.

The four-time WNBA All-Star has reportedly also broken team protocols to go out in Las Vegas, where she plays with the Aces in the WNBA, while it’s understood there is another incident being investigated by team officials.

Cambage‘s behaviour has upset Australian teammates and officials, and it’s believed she could be stood down from the Opals team for Tokyo.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/olympics/australian-star-liz-cambages-olympic-campaign-under-a-cloud-after-alleged-incidents-in-las-vegas/news-story/371004466f38d6215657825f51fdf62f

---

And curious side-note from that article.
I previously posted
Luuuc wrote:
Where's Lavey?
in response to a team photo. Now I see in the article:
Quote:
The Opals only picked an 11-player squad for the Olympics, with no reserves, and would be down to 10 if Cambage was withdrawn.
... when we clearly selected a team of 12, as posted on the previous page.
So I'm still wondering what happened to Tessa Lavey.
#Shenanigans



_________________
Is there gas in the car?
Yes there's gas in the car.
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 64742
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/15/21 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to Lavey's instagram she was in Vegas a week ago



_________________
If you can't feed your baby
Then don't have a baby
And don't think maybe
If you can't feed your baby
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 23800
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/15/21 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just assumed that bit about only picking 11 was a mistake, but combined with that team picture that only had 11 it is a bit strange. The reports on the Ogwumikes and Nigeria said that their final team had to be in by the 18th, so assuming that applies here as well you'd think they'd drag in someone else. I remember them naming a couple of standby players when they picked the original 12.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Luuuc
#NATC


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 21345



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/15/21 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I just assumed that bit about only picking 11 was a mistake, but combined with that team picture that only had 11 it is a bit strange. The reports on the Ogwumikes and Nigeria said that their final team had to be in by the 18th, so assuming that applies here as well you'd think they'd drag in someone else. I remember them naming a couple of standby players when they picked the original 12.

Yep, Shyla Heal, Sami Whitcomb & Sara Blicavs were originally named as reserves



_________________
Is there gas in the car?
Yes there's gas in the car.
Milks26



Joined: 25 Mar 2021
Posts: 722



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/15/21 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just saw this..so....

maybe the whole minor hip injury was a farce for her not playing in the ALS game.


awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 3453



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/15/21 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will we get an ESPN piece that advocates that Cambage should be able to play for Nigeria or Great Britain?
Luuuc
#NATC


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 21345



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/15/21 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Update

Quote:
NewsCorp can reveal Cambage is no longer in camp and teammates and officials don’t know where she has gone.

Surprised

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/olympics/australian-star-liz-cambages-olympic-campaign-under-a-cloud-after-alleged-incidents-in-las-vegas/news-story/371004466f38d6215657825f51fdf62f

---

Update / possible correction to the other tangent:
Quote:
"The Opals’ original squad of 12 doesn’t have any travelling reserves and could be reduced to 11 if Cambage is stood down."



_________________
Is there gas in the car?
Yes there's gas in the car.
mercfan



Joined: 08 May 2013
Posts: 1769



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/15/21 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Update

Quote:
NewsCorp can reveal Cambage is no longer in camp and teammates and officials don’t know where she has gone.

Surprised

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/olympics/australian-star-liz-cambages-olympic-campaign-under-a-cloud-after-alleged-incidents-in-las-vegas/news-story/371004466f38d6215657825f51fdf62f

---

Update / possible correction to the other tangent:
Quote:
"The Opals’ original squad of 12 doesn’t have any travelling reserves and could be reduced to 11 if Cambage is stood down."


I’m so not shocked.


lynxmania



Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 10304
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/15/21 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clearly this is going really well for both of them


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 8840



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/16/21 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the way they don’t say whether she had an “altercation” with a teammate or a Nigerian player.


root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 7360
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/16/21 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then that photo of Cambage with her face uncovered while all her teammates are wearing masks tells us all we need to know. In terms of a team, first you have the Opals, and then you have Liz.



_________________
The hands on the clock turn
But don't sing a nocturne
Just yet
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 7211



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/16/21 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"Every athlete competing in the Olympic games should be at their mental and physical peak, and at the moment, I’m a long way from where I want and need to be. It’s no secret that in the past I’ve struggled with my mental health and recently I’ve been really worried about heading into a 'bubble' Olympics. No family. No friends. No fans. No support system outside of my team. It’s honestly terrifying for me. The past month I have been having panic attacks, not sleeping and not eating."


https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2021/07/16/liz-cambage-withdraws-tokyo-olympics-bubble/7988487002/



_________________
"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Milks26



Joined: 25 Mar 2021
Posts: 722



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/16/21 6:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mental health is a serious thing and many Wubblities have stated that they are happy to put 2020 behind them.....but this girl is something else. If you've been so distressed for over a month - you coulda been said.....



Force10rulz



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Posts: 1964
Location: Puget Sound


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/16/21 7:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn’t want to compete this year so glad to hear Liz is putting her mental health first. They should have just cancelled the Olympics.



_________________
Seattle Storm 3 times Champions
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 8840



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/16/21 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Force10rulz wrote:
They should have just cancelled the Olympics.


I agree. I can’t remember if it was considered, but I think the Olympic Committee should have just told Tokyo they would host in 2024 and pushed every other host back 4 years. The Olympics already loses money for the host nation. They shouldn’t have to host it with less or no fans and increase the losses.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin