RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 South Carolina vs #1 Stanford - 4/02/21
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
South Carolina
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
Stanford
80%
 80%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 25

Shades

PostPosted: 03/31/21 12:00 am    ::: #1 South Carolina vs #1 Stanford - 4/02/21 Reply Reply with quote

NCAA Tournament
National Semifinal
San Antonio, TX - 6:00 PM ET

TV: ESPN (Ryan Ruocco, Rebecca Lobo)

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/e46110f5-d273-4466-a895-50996f674e97#bucketId=1 (tvpli)

Audio:
https://tunein.com/radio/KZSU-901-s7252/

Live stats:
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401311267

https://www.ncaa.com/game/5799546

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SDHoops

PostPosted: 03/31/21 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A little off topic but as a former attendee of Final Fours, I always HATED the long wait in between the semifinal games. You can only walk around the concourse and raid the concession line so many times. Wink I think they want fans to take this time to buy shirts lol..which go on sale after the championship!

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 03/31/21 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fabulous match-up and I cannot wait.

Either one of these teams is going to give Geno's perfect championship record a run for its money.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/31/21 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As an unbiased observer, I think South Carolina is going to win. (TBH, I think I'd actually prefer Stanford if Uconn wins, I don't really want to give Dawn another shot at us).

South Carolina makes pretty offense look ugly, and they've got the rebounders to keep up with Stanford. I'm not sure Stanford has the individual play makers to beat South Carolina.

PostPosted: 03/31/21 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
As an unbiased observer, I think South Carolina is going to win. (TBH, I think I'd actually prefer Stanford if Uconn wins, I don't really want to give Dawn another shot at us).

South Carolina makes pretty offense look ugly, and they've got the rebounders to keep up with Stanford. I'm not sure Stanford has the individual play makers to beat South Carolina.

To me, this game totally hinges on whether or not the South Carolina guards can get Boston the ball in the paint. Stanford can't handle her physicality in the paint and she could have a field day in there. Stanford, even through the Pac-12 schedule, hasn't had to play a team with a dominant AA type force on the block. Brink is a great offensive player, but I don't think defensively, she will be able to handle the SC bigs.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/31/21 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This one is a righteous toss-up -- whichever team has the most players that are ON, and totally 'bring it', wins. No room for mental errors or judgemental lapses.

PostPosted: 03/31/21 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford has better offense, better defense, better MOV, more post depth, more guard depth, better 3pt attack and 3pt%, better assist rate, better game coach, but worse rebounding.

Stanford likely loses only if their outside game tanks all game and they get psyched out, as happened in the first half agin Louisville -- before their mean got regressed to, and rapidly so, in the second half.
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/31/21 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Stanford has better offense, better defense, better MOV, more post depth, more guard depth, better 3pt attack and 3pt%, better assist rate, better game coach, but worse rebounding.

Stanford likely loses only if their outside game tanks all game and they get psyched out, as happened in the first half agin Louisville -- before their mean got regressed to, and rapidly so, in the second half.

ok, thank you for making me feel better. Hope you are right. Laughing

linkster

PostPosted: 04/01/21 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This game could be a lot like the UC-BU game. In that game Baylor, needing 2nd chance pts, committed early in the game to sending 3 players to the offensive boards but ONO & Edwards controlled their own defensive boards and UConn burned Baylor in transition several times to a 16-6 lead. As soon as Edwards was called for her second foul and later ONO her 2nd Baylor was able to dominate the boards again and led until the 4th period when Edwards and ONO were able to both play until the end. In fact it was Edwards who scored the winning basket when she took a Bueckers miss away from Smith and Egbo and put it back in. Second chance points.

Most of these games are lost, not won. It comes down to execution. Under the stress of a final four it's who makes fewer mistakes, not who makes the most plays.

Like Baylor, S Car needs second chance points to win because they just don't shoot that well.
Rebounding will determine the winner. Stanford has size but I'm not sure they have the strength to keep Boston off the offensive glass. I just hope that whomever wins it's due to a bad call (or non-call) of a ref. Very Happy

TheWildJacko

PostPosted: 04/01/21 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I just hope that whomever wins it's due to a bad call (or non-call) of a ref. Very Happy

No! Bad! Get those bad, basketball-gods-tempting vibes away from this place!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/02/21 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sure wish this was the second game. With luck, I might be home by halftime!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Hoops9092

PostPosted: 04/02/21 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone asked Dawn in the Final Four press conference yesterday about what her reaction would be if it took her 29 years to win another title, 2046 to be exact (referencing it being 29 years since Tara last won it all) and Dawn had a very interesting look on her face as she answered something to the effect that she won't be doing this in 29 years.

It really made me think. Wow. 29 years ago. When UConn had 0 titles and Stanford and Tara looked to be positioned to capture many more in the 90s.

ike so many teams (LSU, Duke come to mind and Notre Dame, sans 2018), some of Stanford's best teams fell during other dynasties, especially Maya Moore and UConn but also Candace Parker's Tennessee days and Brittney Griner and Baylor. That, plus some stretches where Stanford was too post heavy and not enough athleticism on the permitter.

I think back to the 2010-11 season when Texas A&M upset Stanford at the buzzer in the Final Four, 63-62 and only to make it worse when 2 hours later Notre Dame upended Maya Moore and UConn. That would be the same as South Carolina winning today at the buzzer and then Arizona taking out UConn.

Anyways, I am rambling, but it's pretty shocking to look back at all the years that went by without a title . . . it sure would be special to see Tara and Stanford capitalize on a year like this where it truly feels wide open.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/02/21 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Earlier today, I saw that ESPN had listed a half hour pre-game show. Then suddenly it disappeared. [sigh]

linkster

PostPosted: 04/02/21 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Brink had played for UConn I would be screaming " don't try and dribble".

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 04/02/21 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

15-6 South Carolina

Another slow start for Stanford. Ugh

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/02/21 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very smooth offensive start for South Carolina. And defensively they've completely kept Stanford off the 3-point line.

One of my pet peeves is when TV announcers don't say which player the foul was called on.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/21 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brink to Belibi to Prechtel, all in eight minutes. What a luxury for Tara.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/02/21 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford is on a run offensively, but the real story is their foul trouble. Also---can they do a better job keeping SC off the O-boards?

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/02/21 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

all the fouls seem to be called at one end of the floor. Crying or Very sad

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/02/21 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
all the fouls seem to be called at one end of the floor. Crying or Very sad

I wonder how Dijonai Carrington feels, watching from home, seeing some of these ticky tack foul calls Laughing

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 04/02/21 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It sure is hard to get clean looks on South Carolina.

They make this an ugly game!

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/02/21 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

good thing we have depth.

I just hope they call all those fouls at the same end in the second half. Very Happy

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 04/02/21 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It sure is hard to get clean looks on South Carolina.

They make this an ugly game!

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/02/21 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ashton Prechtel doing a lot for Stanford these last two games. If only she could keep Boston off the offensive glass... But then again, can anybody keep Boston off the offensive glass?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/21 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Tree shows their superior defense, and even superior rebounding, in the first half.

The Genghis offense is marshaling on the next ridge over, ready to swoop down for the coup de masse.

Don't feel strongly, but I think I'll root for the Gamecocks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: