RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 WNBA Schedule
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/21 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Breaking down some numbers around the 2021 WNBA schedule

https://buttondown.email/acrossthetimeline/archive/breaking-down-some-numbers-around-the-2021-wnba/

Quote:
A complete lack of back-to-backs is a great marker for a league trying to promote the health and well-being of its players, and it also matches up with a general downturn in their presence over the years. The early 2000s were hit hard by the height of the WNBA’s total team count (16), and the year 2000 in particular was extremely condensed due to shoehorning in an All Star Game (the first being held just one year prior) while also completing the season ahead of the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, Australia, which opened in mid-September.

PostPosted: 04/13/21 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
I had completely forgotten about the Commissioner's Cup. It is, if I may be blunt, the stupidest fucking thing I have ever heard of.

You've always been blunt before, no need to start asking for permission now. Very Happy Twisted Evil

But yeah, I'm afraid the Cup is gonna be one of those concepts that's better in theory than in practice...

To us , but to the players its an extra pay check on the side Cool Cool

Anyone willing to give a quick rundown of what the
Commissioner's Cup is and why you're not a fan? Thank you in advance Razz

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 04/14/21 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Breaking down some numbers around the 2021 WNBA schedule

https://buttondown.email/acrossthetimeline/archive/breaking-down-some-numbers-around-the-2021-wnba/

Quote:
A complete lack of back-to-backs is a great marker for a league trying to promote the health and well-being of its players, and it also matches up with a general downturn in their presence over the years. The early 2000s were hit hard by the height of the WNBA’s total team count (16), and the year 2000 in particular was extremely condensed due to shoehorning in an All Star Game (the first being held just one year prior) while also completing the season ahead of the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, Australia, which opened in mid-September.

Great stuff. I just sent the link to all Team PR peeps, so you should see your work getting some love.

One typo I noticed.

Dan Hughes, who was unable to coach in 2020, now sits in 2nd place, just 8 wins from his 600th in the WNBA, and at least 19 wins would get him to 300.

Should be games rather than wins.

Lobo and I were texting about some of this today. In Charlotte back in 1999, we played 5 games in 7 days in 4 different buildings. Back-to-backs on each end.

And somehow we won all five.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/14/21 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pssst, CRDS - pilight and Kurtis both know a hell of a lot about the WNBA and do good work, but are not, as far as I know, the same person Wink.

PostPosted: 04/14/21 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Pssst, CRDS - pilight and Kurtis both know a hell of a lot about the WNBA and do good work, but are not, as far as I know, the same person Wink.

Aha. Didn't see who wrote it. Just assumed it was pilight since he posted it, and he tracks a lot of that kind of thing.

My bad.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 04/28/21 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Feels like we should've gotten the tv schedule by now. Wonder what the hold up is.

UK1996

PostPosted: 06/04/21 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is somewhat random, but next year is my Mother’s 50th birthday. My sister and I are planning a trip for her. She knows we are planning a trip but doesn’t know where or what we are doing. The two nonnegotiable activities for the trip are visiting a beach and attending a WNBA game. We are okay with spending a couple days in one city and then driving to the coast. We are looking at New York, Atlanta, and Washington as possible destinations. My mother’s two favorite players are EDD and CP so I’d like to go to a Chicago or Washington game (unless something changes). To sum this overly long post, when can I expect the 2022 schedule?

calbearman76

PostPosted: 06/04/21 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard to say when the schedule be released. The 2019 schedule was released on December 18, 2018. The 2020 original schedule was released on January 16, 2020. This year the schedule wasn't released until April 13, but that late date was likely due to Covid restrictions. I expect next season's announcement will be in December or January unless there is something specific that holds it up (e.g., some type of franchise change (disbanding, relocation or expansion.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: