RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tournament players: rising and falling stars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/28/21 3:07 pm    ::: Tournament players: rising and falling stars Reply Reply with quote

Which players in the tournament have risen to exceed expectations and which have failed to live up to expectations?

I nominate UConn's Aaliyah Edwards as a rising star. Not even a starter until two games ago, she is averaging 18 PPG, 6.7 RBG and shooting 85% in the tournament.

In fact, this somewhat-under-the-PBsupernova freshman is leading all of D1 in FG%, 2P% and EFG% at 70.4% for the season, and should now be considered a strong candidate for a five-player All-Freshman team.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/28/21 3:36 pm    ::: Re: Tournament players: rising and falling stars Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

In fact, this somewhat-under-the-PBsupernova freshman is leading all of D1 in FG%....

Do you know why Edwards isn't listed on NCAA.com in their list of individual stats leaders? (link below).
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-women/d1/current/individual/107

Just to highlight a story that might have been overlooked, I'll nominate Destinee Wells of Belmont who had 25 points, 7 assists, and 0 turnovers, leading the program to its first ever NCAA tournament win in an upset against Gonzaga. You could say something similar about Angel Baker of Wright State. Smile

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/28/21 4:28 pm    ::: Re: Tournament players: rising and falling stars Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

In fact, this somewhat-under-the-PBsupernova freshman is leading all of D1 in FG%....

Do you know why Edwards isn't listed on NCAA.com in their list of individual stats leaders? (link below).
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-women/d1/current/individual/107

I looked at that and I don't know. The NCAA stats often have minimum criteria for stats to be "official", such as games or minutes or shots made, but they have Duke's Jade Williams 6th on their list, who had a puny 4 games and 20 FGM.

My stats are from Her Hoop Stats, with minimum criteria I put in of 12 games and 10 minutes/game played. Edwards has played in 27 games, is averaging 21.2 minutes/game and hits 4.7 FG/game, which a total of 126 FGM, which is more than many players on the NCAA list.

For a potential falling star, first team AA Dana Evans of Louisville is averaging 14.5 PPG, and is shooting 33% overall and 17% on 3pt (3-18).
IM in OC

PostPosted: 03/28/21 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go to NCAA.org, not NCAA.com

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

When you do, select WBB, DI and then change the date, from 3/27/2021 to "4/4/2021 WBB championship" and it will bring up the tournament stats. Click on the stats header to get to the area you want

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/28/21 7:05 pm    ::: Re: Tournament players: rising and falling stars Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

For a potential falling star, first team AA Dana Evans of Louisville is averaging 14.5 PPG, and is shooting 33% overall and 17% on 3pt (3-1Cool.

I know you qualified this statement with 'potential,' but you may have spoken too soon on Dana Smile

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/28/21 8:09 pm    ::: Re: Tournament players: rising and falling stars Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

For a potential falling star, first team AA Dana Evans of Louisville is averaging 14.5 PPG, and is shooting 33% overall and 17% on 3pt (3-18).

I know you qualified this statement with 'potential,' but you may have spoken too soon on Dana :)

I was posting based on the data available as of the time of the post. That's what I would expect anyone who posts here to do. And then posters can change their nominations or opinions as new game data roll in. If we just wait until the tournament is over, the purpose of the thread as an ongoing dialog would be diminished -- assuming there's any dialog at all.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/28/21 8:16 pm    ::: Re: Tournament players: rising and falling stars Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

For a potential falling star, first team AA Dana Evans of Louisville is averaging 14.5 PPG, and is shooting 33% overall and 17% on 3pt (3-1Cool.

I know you qualified this statement with 'potential,' but you may have spoken too soon on Dana Smile

I was posting based on the data available as of the time of the post. That's what I would expect anyone who posts here to do. And then posters can change their nominations or opinions as new game data roll in. If we just wait until the tournament is over, the purpose of the thread as an ongoing dialog would be diminished -- assuming there's any dialog at all.

You don't need to be so defensive lol. I understood you the whole time. My statement was simply a fun way of saying, "New data has rolled in."

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/28/21 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
Go to NCAA.org, not NCAA.com

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

When you do, select WBB, DI and then change the date, from 3/27/2021 to "4/4/2021 WBB championship" and it will bring up the tournament stats. Click on the stats header to get to the area you want

Thank you.

This site also gives the FG% criteria on the FG% page:

Quote:
Min. 5 made per game | Players must play in 75% of their team's games

So, Aaliyah Edwards isn't "official" per the NCAA web page because she's averaging 4.7 MPG, but players who've only played 4 or 6 games are. Well, Edwards' 70.4% FG% is superb for any player in history, much less a freshman, and she's an official player to me.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/28/21 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love Aaliyah Edwards' game but I thought this would be about players going into the WNBA after the season.

UP: Aari McDonald, Kiana Williams

DOWN: Onyenwere

I have not been impressed with Charli Collier...until today.

~rAf
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/29/21 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

I have not been impressed with Charli Collier...until today.

So what was so impressive today? Maryland has no real post. They kind of play a five out system. So yeah Charli made half of her layups that were mostly not contested or contested by shorter/weaker players. She did make one basket where she made a nice move. She's not really fluid at all either defensively or offensively. I expect Boston, who is IMO also overhyped, will own Collier in their game tomorrow. But at least it will be an opportunity to see her against someone of similar size and build.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/29/21 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was impressed by Celeste Taylor. I think she'll be the heart and soul of the Texas team next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: