RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Upset Predictions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/19/21 4:46 pm    ::: Upset Predictions Reply Reply with quote

I think it would be a fun game to predict, for each "higher" seed, which team with that seed is most likely to be upset by a lower seed? Or to put it the other way around, which team of each "lower" seed do you see as most likely to pull off the upset?

If no one else bites, I'll post my thoughts a bit later.

Phil

PostPosted: 03/19/21 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Marquette as a possible upset against Virginia Tech.

I know I won't get any points for a bold selections, but I like the thread idea, and will look for other options.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/19/21 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. NCState
2. Maryland
3. Georgia
4. WVU
5. Missouri St
6. Michigan
7. Alabama
8. South Florida

Phil

PostPosted: 03/19/21 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect some will suggest Oregon. The knock on Oregon is they haven't beaten a ranked opponent. Technically true. They have a win against Oregon State probably ought to be ranked, but they aren't and you can arguably dismiss in-state rivalries as not necessarily proving who is better overall. However, while I haven't beaten anybody who have they lost to? Losses to Stanford, Arizona, UCLA and Oregon State. Their worst loss is to a team ranked number 17 by Massey. Not even Stanford can claim a better "worst loss".

I get that Oregon isn't quite the team they were very recently and miss Ionescu a lot, but does South Dakota have the horses to beat them? I confess I haven't seen South Dakota play, so I don't know but I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger.

Phil

PostPosted: 03/19/21 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I could see Oregon knocking off Georgia. I like Georgia's chances, especially if Stati can avoid mental mistakes.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/19/21 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1 South Carolina Cool
2 Louisville
3 Tennessee
4 West Virginia
5 Georgia Tech
6 Texas
7 Virginia Tech
8 Syracuse

PostPosted: 03/19/21 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please help me understand your selection of Texas. Are you really suggesting that Bradley has a chance against Texas? I confess I know almost nothing about Bradley, but I'm trying to wrap my heads around the thought that they could beat someone like Texas.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/19/21 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
Please help me understand your selection of Texas. Are you really suggesting that Bradley has a chance against Texas? I confess I know almost nothing about Bradley, but I'm trying to wrap my heads around the thought that they could beat someone like Texas.

I had to pick somebody. Texas is the weakest of the #6 seeds. I actually have 3/4 #11 seeds winning in my bracket, including Bradley, but that's more of a flaw in my bracket process than anything else.

PostPosted: 03/19/21 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
I suspect some will suggest Oregon. The knock on Oregon is they haven't beaten a ranked opponent. Technically true. They have a win against Oregon State probably ought to be ranked, but they aren't and you can arguably dismiss in-state rivalries as not necessarily proving who is better overall. However, while I haven't beaten anybody who have they lost to? Losses to Stanford, Arizona, UCLA and Oregon State. Their worst loss is to a team ranked number 17 by Massey. Not even Stanford can claim a better "worst loss".

I get that Oregon isn't quite the team they were very recently and miss Ionescu a lot, but does South Dakota have the horses to beat them? I confess I haven't seen South Dakota play, so I don't know but I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger.

Their problem ITM is missing their PG at least for the first couple of games. They've had a few weeks to work that out so if Chavez has worked her way back into shape, perhaps it won't matter too much.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/19/21 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
1. NCState
2. Maryland (Laughing Laughing)
3. Georgia
4. WVU
5. Missouri St
6. Michigan
7. Alabama

8. South Florida

I take it you think there's a possibility these teams may get beaten in the first round. I also thought of Michigan. FGCU is a tough out.

I'd also agree with Alabama's chances of losing to an unpredictable UNC. And I am thinking BYU has a real chance against Rutgers.

Last edited by Howee on 03/19/21 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/19/21 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. S Carolina
2. Louisville
3. Arizona
4. W Virginia
5. Georgia Tech
6. Rutgers
7. Iowa State
8. S Florida

Phil

PostPosted: 03/19/21 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Phil wrote:

I had to pick somebody. Texas is the weakest of the #6 seeds. I actually have 3/4 #11 seeds winning in my bracket, including Bradley, but that's more of a flaw in my bracket process than anything else.

OK, now I understand. I didn't realize that the goal was to pick the weakest seed in each group of 4.

Phil

PostPosted: 03/19/21 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Phil wrote:

OK, now I understand. I didn't realize that the goal was to pick the weakest seed in each group of 4.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/19/21 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My mostly uneducated and wild hunches as to the most likely 1st round upsets:

16. Mercer over SC. Mercer had 2-seed Iowa on the ropes two years ago... With 24 turnovers that game, Iowa quite frankly didn't deserve to win.
15. Marist over Louisville. Louisville is clearly the weakest of the 2's I think.
14. Stony Brook. AZ is ride or die with Aari... if she has a bad day anything can happen.
13. Lehigh. Just have not had a good impression of WV this season.
12. Central Michigan. They took down 3-seed Ohio State three seasons ago, and guards Micaela Kelly and Molly Davis can go OFF if not defended well. Unfortunately my Iowa Hawks are prone to not defending well Embarassed
11. FGCU. Kierstan Bell, enough said.
10. Michigan State. They have momentum from the Big Ten tournament. Shout out to Marquette as well.
9. Washington State. They've had incredibly good games and incredibly bad games this year so you can't count them out.

2nd round ideas...
Rutgers over Arizona
Northwestern over Louisville
Oregon State over SC
Oregon over Georgia
FGCU or Michigan over Tennessee

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/20/21 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think all the #1 teams could be upset before the Final Four. That would make things interesting. As a wild guess ranking of this possibility:

1. N.C. State
2. S. Carolina
3. UConn
4. Stanford
Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/21/21 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the first bracket that I've cared enough to fill out in... a while. Here are the matchups where I picked the lower seed winning:

First Round:
11 South Dakota over 6 Oregon
10 Marquette over 7 Virginia Tech
9 Washington State over 8 Florida State

Second Round:
8 Oregon State over 1 South Carolina
5 Georgia Tech over 4 West Virginia
5 Gonzaga over 4 Indiana
6 Rutgers over 3 Arizona

Sweet Sixteen:
8 Oregon State over 5 Georgia Tech

Elite Eight:
2 Louisville over 1 Stanford

My Final Four matchups are 2 Louisville vs. 2 Maryland and 1 UConn vs. 1 NC State. Championship between Maryland & UConn...
...and I'm picking Maryland.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 03/21/21 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everybody loves an underdog, but for this year I'd love to see the top overall seeds Stanford and UConn meet in the ship. Tara with the win..

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/21/21 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do not want to upset anyone, but please do not put my team in your upset predictions as it’s very upsetting to me. Razz

pilight

PostPosted: 03/22/21 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last time a tournament had an all chalk day in the first round was 2010. The other first round day featured four upsets, all by double digit seeds, including loss by #6 seed Texas.

PostPosted: 03/22/21 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Last time a tournament had an all chalk day in the first round was 2010. The other first round day featured four upsets, all by double digit seeds, including loss by #6 seed Texas.

Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised If it happens, you said it first Cool

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/22/21 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard to upset when the refs suck...looking at you refs of the Wright State vs Arkansas game. That intentional foul call was absolutely ridiculous. Flopping is for soccer. I don't care for Wright State at all, but they kinda got hosed in the 4th quarter. I will be shocked if they can hold on to win this game.

* Edit - They held on even after a bogus 10 second call as well. So glad Arkansas lost.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/22/21 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Hard to upset when the refs suck...looking at you refs of the Wright State vs Arkansas game. That intentional foul call was absolutely ridiculous. Flopping is for soccer. I don't care for Wright State at all, but they kinda got hosed in the 4th quarter. I will be shocked if they can hold on to win this game.

* Edit - They held on even after a bogus 10 second call as well. So glad Arkansas lost.

Reffing in that game was atrocious. It was like they decided beforehand that Arkansas should win. Not so fast, y'all.

PostPosted: 03/22/21 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was Gonzaga really a 5 seed? I know they are good and this is the only time I have seen them play this year, but I was pretty underwhelmed.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/22/21 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Was Gonzaga really a 5 seed? I know they are good and this is the only time I have seen them play this year, but I was pretty underwhelmed.

They looked better than Arkansas, a #4 seed

PostPosted: 03/22/21 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

They looked better than Arkansas, a #4 seed

No argument from me. I didn't realize that was how seeding was done now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: