RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#5 Iowa vs #4 Kentucky - 3/23/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/23/21 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
I don't care too much either. But I want to defend my team against the accusation that Bluder only left Clark in "for the numbers," when, meanwhile, Kentucky -- down 20 -- brought a full court press with under a minute to go and left Howard in to shoots 3's against Iowa's second- and third- string players.

Agee . . . Not Bluder’s style! But when it comes to leaving a star player in a game for way longer than necessary, look no further than the Hawkeyes next opponent.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/23/21 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Uo0qATNBz6Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/23/21 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
If y'all want to talk about stat padding, why is Rhyne Howard still in the game launching three pointers? To quote Joe Biden, "C'mon man!"

Final score: 86-72. Would have been a 20+ point victory if not for KY's stat padding at the end Rolling Eyes

You expect a team to quit? That’s an odd take.

I don't expect a team to quit! I love Rhyne Howard. All I'm doing is trying to defend Lisa Bluder's decision to leave Clark in the game, even though we had what some may think a "safe" lead. Because if you've scene some of Iowa's meltdowns this season, you'll not that that lead was not safe.

I do think it's poor sportsmanship (for KY) to press with under a minute to go when you're down by 20 and the other team has brought it its second- and third-string players.

Last edited by undersized_post on 03/23/21 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/23/21 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Understood, Shades!

If ‘Cuse pulls an upset, I promise I’ll edit my above post. 😉

BamaEd

PostPosted: 03/23/21 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK so the back on forth on when to take out starters, especially stars on here is interesting. It's ok...until it is your team on the losing end and someone with 30+ in with a 20 point lead and under 5 left. I do think at some point you do, for sportsmanship reason, want to back off, let the offense run through others, etc. As for the team down big, I give them a little more leeway. Their deficit is big enough, they don't want it to grow from a 20 to a 30 point loss in the last minute just to give scrubs a moment. There is some pride.

Not saying you have to pull stars, but if you are up big, you don't want your star chucking up 3s. Future opponents may remember it.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/23/21 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
OK so the back on forth on when to take out starters, especially stars on here is interesting. It's ok...until it is your team on the losing end and someone with 30+ in with a 20 point lead and under 5 left. I do think at some point you do, for sportsmanship reason, want to back off, let the offense run through others, etc. As for the team down big, I give them a little more leeway. Their deficit is big enough, they don't want it to grow from a 20 to a 30 point loss in the last minute just to give scrubs a moment. There is some pride.

Not saying you have to pull stars, but if you are up big, you don't want your star chucking up 3s. Future opponents may remember it.

Ok so I agree with you on this, but I think you're mischaracterizing the way you're implying Bluder let Clark play in the 4th quarter. In the entire 4th quarter Clark only attempted 4 shots, and most of these were in the first 5 minutes---still very much active game scenario. Of these 4 shots, only one of them was a three pointer.

Howard, on the other hand, scored 8 points in the final 56 seconds.

Last edited by undersized_post on 03/26/21 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/23/21 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I've explained elsewhere, Clark's prodigious ball domination is reflected in the fact that she's first in Usage Rate, at 37.1%, of all players in D1 (who play more than 15 minutes per game). Usage Rate is the percentage of her team's plays, when she's in the game, that end with the player taking field goal, a foul shot or making a turnover.

The average player has a Usage Rate of 20%.

Paige Bueckers is 587th in D1 with a Usage Rate of 23.7%. This means, compared to Clark, Bueckers takes far fewer shots and makes fewer turnovers, when she's in the game, as a percent of her team's totals in those categories.

Bueckers' far lower Usage Rate, coupled with her higher FG%, 3FG%, fewer TO's and higher ATO ratio, make her a more efficient player than Clark.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/23/21 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
As I've explained elsewhere, Clark's prodigious ball domination is reflected in the fact that she's first in Usage Rate, at 37.1%, of all players in D1 (who play more than 15 minutes per game). Usage Rate is the percentage of her team's plays, when she's in the game, that end with the player taking field goal, a foul shot or making a turnover.

Paige Bueckers is 587th in D1 with a Usage Rate of 23.7%. This means, compared to Clark, Bueckers takes far fewer shots and makes fewer turnovers, when she's in the game, as a percent of her team's totals in those categories.

Bueckers' far lower Usage Rate, coupled with her higher FG%, 3FG%, fewer TO's and higher ATO ratio, make her a more efficient player than Clark.

Good for Paige??? But how is that relevant right now???

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/23/21 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I think this is the general complaint....Bueckers being brought into conversations having nothing to do with her. Please stop, Glenn.

PostPosted: 03/23/21 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I think this is the general complaint....Bueckers being brought into conversations having nothing to do with her. Please stop, Glenn.

Ohh, Hellz Bellz....ain't it fun to have such things to discuss/banter about? Laughing Let's enjoy this....in a couple of weeks, we'll be down to nada, no wcbb!

PostPosted: 03/24/21 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching Elzy's postgame press conference. Just had to share this completely stupid question she was asked because I loved her response.

Reporter:
"It took Rhyne a little bit to get going today. I don't think her first field goal came until midway through the second quarter. You think maybe she got caught up in the talk of the match-up with Caitlin or was there something else going on there?"

Elzy:
"No. That was not the focus going into the game. Rhyne came out, she played hard. Sometimes the shot does not go in, and that's part of basketball. I thought she continued to play hard, she went to the offensive boards, she made some great passes to her teammates, she stayed the course. Yes, so it took her a little bit ... for the shot to go in. But just because the shot's not going in, if you know the game of basketball, there are other things happening on the floor."

The reporter clearly does not know the game of basketball. I loved her answer.

Side note: I watch the Iowa and Indiana press-conferences all the time, and then I watch other coaches and players after interesting games. So I'm pretty familiar with the usual protocol at these. But I have never heard the media lack as much compassion as when they were questioning Elzy and Howard today after the game. Is this par for the course in Kentucky/SEC? I truly felt sorry for Elzy/Howard, because I felt quite a few of the media questions were quite frankly ignorant and rude.

For reference, here is the press conference: https://youtu.be/mBLh1_XEoPQ?t=188 The exchange I quoted begins at 3:08.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/24/21 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Side note: I watch the Iowa and Indiana press-conferences all the time, and then I watch other coaches and players after interesting games. So I'm pretty familiar with the usual protocol at these. But I have never heard the media lack as much compassion as when they were questioning Elzy and Howard today after the game. Is this par for the course in Kentucky/SEC? I truly felt sorry for Elzy/Howard, because I felt quite a few of the media questions were quite frankly ignorant and rude.

Well, I hate to say it, but it is 2021, and Elzy & Howard both are Black women: It's unfortunately possible that the media members didn't respect them enough to ask them well thought-out intellectual questions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Ya certainly hope that wasn't the case here.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/24/21 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Well, I hate to say it, but it is 2021, and Elzy & Howard both are Black women: It's unfortunately possible that the media members didn't respect them enough to ask them well thought-out intellectual questions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Ya certainly hope that wasn't the case here.

Yes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: