RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ESPN UConn Bias Official Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDHoops

PostPosted: 03/22/21 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
More evidence (not that we need it)

Onyenwere currently has 15 points in 15 minutes in the game against Wyoming. What do the Commentators talk about? Well, naturally, UConn's winning streak over Syracuse! Rolling Eyes And the fact that Nika Muhl's sprained ankle tomorrow will be a "gametime decision."

Okay STHU now Laughing you and PG can go scissor somewhere and get your antiUConn kicks out

Tally24

PostPosted: 03/23/21 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First of all, what’s a good story without an evil empire or a villain to hate.

Second, I really see it as a lack of creativity/effort on the part of ESPN. I’ve been following WCBB since 2010, and each year it’s like they have staff meeting where they pick ONE narrative for the entire season and they just run with it until it can’t run no more.

2010-UConn: back to back champions/winning streak.
2011-UConn: three peat possibility/ breaking UCLA’s winning streak.
2012-Baylor: first team with the chance to go 40-0.
2013- “Three to See” campaign with Diggins, Griner, and EDD.
2014-16-UConn: can anyone beat them?
2017- SC: A’Ja Wilson is really, really good.
2018-ND: Arike and cast are very good, look at their Princeton offense with a high post passer.
2019-ND: Can they repeat? Look at the buzzer beaters made by Arike last year.
2020-Oregon: How many triple doubles can Santina get?

This year, it’s all about Paige. And, as we move forward, it will probably turn into “Bueckers vs. Clark”.
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 03/23/21 2:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:

Second, I really see it as a lack of creativity/effort on the part of ESPN. I’ve been following WCBB since 2010, and each year it’s like they have staff meeting where they pick ONE narrative for the entire season and they just run with it until it can’t run no more.

2018-ND: Arike and cast are very good, look at their Princeton offense with a high post passer.

This year, it’s all about Paige. And, as we move forward, it will probably turn into “Bueckers vs. Clark”.

Yes. So much thank you for this. Maybe my irritability about this situation is the maddening effect of slowly over the last year realizing that the scope of women's college basktball for the next three long years is going to be reduced by the media with that "Bueckers vs. Clark" narrative. It's not fair to the game. It's not a representation of the actual landscape of women's ball. If ESPN spread the wealth a little bit more it would pay off for them in the long run because it would spread out the fan base.

I don't dislike the UConn program. As a Seattle Storm fan I absolutely respect that program. But I am also aware of the advantages it has, that I believe are due to it's closeness to ESPN headquarters. That's it. It's not personal. ESPN has every right as a capitalist organization to make every dollar they can. Do I respect that, no. But it's their right under the law.

Confused

Last edited by PickledGinger on 03/23/21 3:29 am; edited 3 times in total
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 03/23/21 2:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Okay STHU now Laughing you and PG can go scissor somewhere and get your antiUConn kicks out

I have a penis. But cool on you for your low key lesbophobia. Super classy.

Last edited by PickledGinger on 03/23/21 5:13 am; edited 3 times in total
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 03/23/21 3:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Never a thread to bitch about the mind-numbing coverage of any NON-UConn player. I wonder why.

This is the most entitled statement I have ever read on this board, and the exact point of this thread. There are 64 teams in this tournament. Why do UConn fans get so fucking salty when any other team gets a bone? As much hype as she got, Sabrina Ionescu was a relatively brief respute from the deluge of UConn-forward messaging from ESPN.

PostPosted: 03/23/21 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

I have a penis. But cool on you for your low key lesbophobia. Super classy.

+1

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/23/21 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did get a kick out of ESPN continuing to show AAC games this year. I assume they had a longer term contract and had to do it. And I suspect when the contract runs out, there will no longer be exciting Cincinnati v Temple women's games on the ESPN family of channels...

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/23/21 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This reminds me of when my grandfather used to complain about golf broadcasts focusing on Tiger Woods.

ESPN is trying to build ratings with Dawn and South Carolina - but they have them already with Uconn. So they're biting at the low hanging fruit.

PostPosted: 03/23/21 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
This reminds me of when my grandfather used to complain about golf broadcasts focusing on Tiger Woods.

ESPN is trying to build ratings with Dawn and South Carolina - but they have them already with UCONN. So they're biting at the low hanging fruit.

Agree, and I know some may disagree, as they have in this thread, but ESPN didn't bother with us or Paige all season, really. At the beginning/middle of the season it was 3 things:

Dawn/Alliyah Boston/South Carolina
Rhyne Howard
Dana Evans

It wasn't till the season was coming to a close and the tourney was coming up that they shifted their focus to UCONN/Paige, because, well, we bring in good ratings and ESPN could capitalize on that marketing because they own the rights to the tournament.

I have a masters degree in teaching. When I was student teaching I taught a lesson where I was observed by my mentor. I thought the lesson was great.....until I sat down for the evaluation. He told me I did a good job, but I kept calling on Tom because I knew Tom would know the answer. He called it...."going back to the well." I learned that by always calling on Tom, it wouldn't make anyone else better because I would never know what some kids didn't understand.

This is the same library, different genre of book, IMO. ESPN, when given the chance, goes back to the ratings well. UCONN winning is a great story for allllllll the UCONN fans, but building them up and watching them fall is an even better one. I mean, look how much coverage Morgan William still gets because of that shot.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/23/21 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

ESPN is trying to build ratings with Dawn and South Carolina - but they have them already with UCONN. So they're biting at the low hanging fruit.

Agree, and I know some may disagree, as they have in this thread, but ESPN didn't bother with us or Paige all season, really. At the beginning/middle of the season it was 3 things:

Rhyne Howard
Dana Evans

It wasn't till the season was coming to a close and the tourney was coming up that they shifted their focus to UCONN/Paige, because, well, we bring in good ratings and ESPN could capitalize on that marketing because they own the rights to the tournament.

I have a masters degree in teaching. When I was student teaching I taught a lesson where I was observed by my mentor. I thought the lesson was great.....until I sat down for the evaluation. He told me I did a good job, but I kept calling on Tom because I knew Tom would know the answer. He called it...."going back to the well." I learned that by always calling on Tom, it wouldn't make anyone else better because I would never know what some kids didn't understand.

This is the same library, different genre of book, IMO. ESPN, when given the chance, goes back to the ratings well. UCONN winning is a great story for allllllll the UCONN fans, but building them up and watching them fall is an even better one. I mean, look how much coverage Morgan William still gets because of that shot.

ESPN didn't obsess over Paige Bueckers throughout the season because Big East games were not on ESPN (they were on FLO sports and Fox). The only UConn games on ESPN were at Arkansas and Tennessee because the home team controls the broadcast. But now that it is tournament time we will hear about UConn more than any other team.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/23/21 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Rhyne Howard
Dana Evans

ESPN didn't obsess over Paige Bueckers throughout the season because Big East games were not on ESPN (they were on FLO sports and Fox). The only UConn games on ESPN were at Arkansas and Tennessee because the home team controls the broadcast. But now that it is tournament time we will hear about UConn more than any other team.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/23/21 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
More evidence (not that we need it)

Onyenwere currently has 15 points in 15 minutes in the game against Wyoming. What do the Commentators talk about? Well, naturally, UConn's winning streak over Syracuse! Rolling Eyes And the fact that Nika Muhl's sprained ankle tomorrow will be a "gametime decision."

Homophobic and uncalled for.

PostPosted: 03/23/21 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
Never a thread to bitch about the mind-numbing coverage of any NON-UConn player. I wonder why.

This is the most entitled statement I have ever read on this board, and the exact point of this thread. There are 64 teams in this tournament. Why do UConn fans get so fucking salty when any other team gets a bone? As much hype as she got, Sabrina Ionescu was a relatively brief respute from the deluge of UConn-forward messaging from ESPN.

I guess you started reading last week, then?

Apparently, you missed the point anyway. Wink

Speebs56

PostPosted: 03/23/21 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

Yes. So much thank you for this. Maybe my irritability about this situation is the maddening effect of slowly over the last year realizing that the scope of women's college basktball for the next three long years is going to be reduced by the media with that "Bueckers vs. Clark" narrative. It's not fair to the game. It's not a representation of the actual landscape of women's ball. If ESPN spread the wealth a little bit more it would pay off for them in the long run because it would spread out the fan base.

I don't dislike the UConn program. As a Seattle Storm fan I absolutely respect that program. But I am also aware of the advantages it has, that I believe are due to it's closeness to ESPN headquarters. That's it. It's not personal. ESPN has every right as a capitalist organization to make every dollar they can. Do I respect that, no. But it's their right under the law.

Confused

I don't suppose the UConn streak of consecutive titles or final fours or anything like that might inform the ESPN coverage? Just askin'.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/23/21 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

Confused

Yes, ESPN has been so helpful to the UConn football program and mens basketball programs also. Rolling Eyes

And it will be worse than you think next year. The hot topic will be "Who's better Paige or Azzi?" Wink

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/24/21 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2:02 left in 3rd Qtr of Texas vs UCLA night cap west coast game for rights to the sweet 16 and guess who were hearing about? UCONN ... Geno’s arrival to San Antonio and Paiges opinion on how much better they just got along with how many final fours in a row they have made excluding last years savior Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 03/24/21 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
2:02 left in 3rd Qtr of Texas vs UCLA night cap west coast game for rights to the sweet 16 and guess who were hearing about? UCONN ... Geno’s arrival to San Antonio and Paiges opinion on how much better they just got along with how many final fours in a row they have made excluding last years savior Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Speaking of his arrival---what was the point of the 10 day quarantine if he just goes and gets on a commercial flight? Wouldn't he have to quarantine again after his flight? I don't get it. And I hate that I even care Laughing

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 03/24/21 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Ok. Than explain it to me like I'm 3. Because, under the context of the situation, and the wording that you have presented your arguement with, your narrative comes off as "coverage of any non-UConn player angers me".

PostPosted: 03/25/21 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Ok. Than explain it to me like I'm 3. Because, under the context of the situation, and the wording that you have presented your arguement with, your narrative comes off as "coverage of any non-UConn player angers me".

The first word in ESPN's name stands for entertainment and that's why UConn gets coverage.

I spent 20 years watching UConn games without ever being spared of being told how Pat Summit was a gift from god to wcbb. Just a mention of Geno's record and one of the announcers would intone with "of course Tenn has a better historical record and Pat is just the greatest coach in wcbb (and such a saint)". Thankfully her hoard of disciples in the media are retiring and for younger journalists Tenn's glory years are in the distant past, like those of ODU & LSt.

I hope having to watch Geno's team fawning over him gives you the same reaction I used to have when listening to how marvelous Pat's peach cobbler was for the 50th time. Wink

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/25/21 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

The first word in ESPN's name stands for entertainment and that's why UConn gets coverage.

I spent 20 years watching UConn games without ever being spared of being told how Pat Summit was a gift from god to wcbb. Just a mention of Geno's record and one of the announcers would intone with "of course Tenn has a better historical record and Pat is just the greatest coach in wcbb (and such a saint)". Thankfully her hoard of disciples in the media are retiring and for younger journalists Tenn's glory years are in the distant past, like those of ODU & LSt.

I hope having to watch Geno's team fawning over him gives you the same reaction I used to have when listening to how marvelous Pat's peach cobbler was for the 50th time. Wink

To be fair you haven't heard anything about pat's record or being miraculous since 2011 let's simmer that one down and let her be at peace Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/25/21 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
linkster wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

To be fair you haven't heard anything about pat's record or being miraculous since 2011 let's simmer that one down and let her be at peace Very Happy

Not since 2011?? LOL. When was the statue unveiled? She has been deified by the media since her retirement. And much of it has morphed into dislike for UConn and their coach, this thread being direct evidence.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/25/21 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
When was the statue unveiled?

Summitt's statue on the Tennessee campus was unveiled in 2013

PostPosted: 03/25/21 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More UConn-centric drama Twisted Evil

(Disclaimer: This is about the NCAA's favoritism, not ESPN's. But relevant to the overall topic here.)

Iowa coach Lisa Bluder and company had their media availability today. Since it's the lead up to the Sweet-16, it was facilitated by the NCAA. They granted way more questions to national reporters and UConn-based reporters than the local Iowa reporters. In fact, Jeff Linder of the Cedar Rapids Gazette, who has been at every single Iowa women's press conference this year, wasn't even called on to be able to ask a question. (See these tweets: https://twitter.com/DavidEickholt/status/1375132993942085641 .)

linkster

PostPosted: 03/25/21 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
More UConn-centric drama Twisted Evil

(Disclaimer: This is about the NCAA's favoritism, not ESPN's. But relevant to the overall topic here.)

Iowa coach Lisa Bluder and company had their media availability today. Since it's the lead up to the Sweet-16, it was facilitated by the NCAA. They granted way more questions to national reporters and UConn-based reporters than the local Iowa reporters. In fact, Jeff Linder of the Cedar Rapids Gazette, who has been at every single Iowa women's press conference this year, wasn't even called on to be able to ask a question. (See these tweets: https://twitter.com/DavidEickholt/status/1375132993942085641 .)

According to David Eickholt, a journalist and Hawkeye enthusiast.

If there is bias it's toward successful programs. And that bias extends throughout sports journalism.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/25/21 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Are you projecting?

I don't like the ESPN "star"-driven, hyper-hype-to-ad-nauseum promotion machine, whether it spotlights UConn OR non-UConn players. You really think I want to see Bueckers sitting on the bench sucking her water bottle via split screen? Or that I want to hear about Iowa-UConn in the middle of some unrelated game? If you do, you don't know me. I catch shit from UConn fans because I'm not on the "Bueckers is Better!" tribal bandwagon.

Whether it's Stewie, or Maya, OR Candace, OR Sabrina, OR Skylar...it's equally vomit-worthy to me. Let me add in Geno, Pat and Kay, while I'm at it.

That's why I wonder- how come it's only espn's relentless hyping of UConn that warrants such a thread? Do you actually enjoy that shit, but in a different flavor Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: