RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What would a lockout have done to the W? Let's ask the NHL!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/16/05 1:15 pm    ::: What would a lockout have done to the W? Let's ask the NHL! Reply Reply with quote

Season cancelled today!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1992793

BCBG25

PostPosted: 02/16/05 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most major leagues, in the US and abroad, have had lockout seasons. It's not the end of the world and it'll eventually happen with the W.

PostPosted: 02/16/05 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most major leagues are HUGE enterprises, not secondary leagues, like the NHL and the WNBA.

Major League Baseball, NFL, and NBA can all tolerate it, and still come back because of the people's passions for the sport, and I mean the MAJORITY of the people.

The NHL and the WNBA are niche sports IMO still, and any kind of lockout like this will result in a huge negative backlash to the sport.

I guess we'll see.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/16/05 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Most major leagues, in the US and abroad, have had lockout seasons. It's not the end of the world and it'll eventually happen with the W.

Not many have cancelled entire seasons.

PostPosted: 02/16/05 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DTS, the NHL offered a 49 million salary cap. That's not very niche for me. For example, the NBA salary cap is almost 7 million below that thresold. They are a major league and they have enough revenue to afford that type of money. The WNBA doesn't quite fall into the same category.
I don't interpret a lockout as cancelling a season. Those are two different things. The thing is with the WNBA, there wouldn't be time to resume a season after a possible lockout. There would be uncontrollable logistics problems with the season overlapping with the NBA's not to mention the fact that the players go overseas in the winter. In the W, lockout would mean cancelling the season, but it'll happen some day, hopefully when the league has achieved major league status. Or something like that Wink

PostPosted: 02/16/05 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's utterly reprehensible what all parties involved have done to this NHL season...they had five months to get a deal done. It's not that they couldn't do it...they wouldn't do it.

I have read that the NHL could lose up to 8 teams if (at that time it was still if) the entire season gets cancelled. Well, we'll see. I have a feeling my beloved Calgary Flames and Nashville Predators are two of those eight once the league resumes. I hope not, though.

The worst part of all of this is that come June, there will be no one lifting the Stanley Cup...except maybe to clean dust off of it. That is really sad to me.

I think the W's CBA expires in 2007...let me know if I'm wrong on that...so the effect of what happens to the NHL will be well known by then. Hopefully there are two or three CBA's put through the process in the W before there's a big salary dispute like this. In fact, I hope it never happens, but I'm sure it will at some point.

Goodbye, Lord Stanley...I hope we see you in 2006. Crying or Very sad

Slovydal

PostPosted: 02/16/05 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jimmy,
I passed through Bristol for a minute about this time last year.
The place was a trip. We drove under a sign that said Bristol. We drove up the street. We drove back down the street. We went on our way...

Honestly, there was something kinda creepy about the place.

I felt like I was in a freakin' John Waters film! lol!

So...Uh...What do people do there?

jimmyk

PostPosted: 02/16/05 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like you went down State Street. There's obviously not too much there. The train station looks a lot better now than it did then. They almost had an Amtrak stop here once...

There are two things this Bristol is known for...Bristol Motor Speedway and it is the Birthplace of Country Music. That's basically it. Twice a year, 155,000 rednecks cruise in for race weekends while the rest of the locals leave town for the week. If you ask Nascar fans, Bristol is usually the favorite track. It's nearly impossible to get tickets to either race...especially the night race in August.

The BCMA (Birthplace of Country Music Alliance) just got going a few years ago. There's a museum for it someplace or the other. It's not in the mall anymore, thank goodness...that was a silly idea.

And I'm sure you know from your trip that there are really two Bristols...one in Tennessee and one in Virginia, separated by the afore-mentioned State Street. It's really goofy...you can stand on one side with a phone and have to call long distance to the other side of the street.

I'll stop there...it is a pretty good place to live, as the sign says. I'm just glad they fixed the lights in the sign...it looks pretty good nowadays.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 02/17/05 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, that's right - We went up state street.
I had about two hours sleep on a plane from LA to DC - picked up my friend and drove to Knoxville. I think we stopped in Bristol assuming we'd find a place for lunch. I was so tired the whole thing was really surreal.
State street reminded me of that Twilight Zone where that couple was stuck in that town and could never leave...

I rememeber the sign that said The Birthplace of Country Music" Tennessee is cool in a real laid back kinda way.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 02/17/05 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are a couple good places in Bristol's downtown for lunch, but if you're on highway 11E (aka Volunteer Parkway) there's more to choose from. Even better would be if you'd have stopped at Interstate 81 Exit 7 in Virginia...there are all kinds of good lunch stops there...Bob Evans, IHOP, Chili's, a couple buffet places beside the Wal-Mart, and a handful of fast food stops. And I'm probably not thinking of some things.

Anywho, downtown is getting better, it seems. It's not as bad now as it was when you were here...there are more things moving in so the majority of the buildings aren't empty. But that's only the influence of the race track. Food City hosts a big race night thing on State Street for the August race with a bunch of drivers and cool stuff like that. People like to have businesses around thousands of people for obvious reasons.

And, to kinda steer this conversation back on topic, there were a few hockey fans here, too, and most are not the influence of the Nashville team, because the ones I met were fans before they even thought about a team in Tennessee. I fear that number might fall into the single digits because of the utter insanity of those involved with the CBA barganing. But losing fans in Bristol, Tennessee, is the least of the NHL's problems at the moment.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/17/05 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
DTS, the NHL offered a 49 million salary cap. That's not very niche for me. For example, the NBA salary cap is almost 7 million below that thresold. They are a major league and they have enough revenue to afford that type of money. The WNBA doesn't quite fall into the same category.
I don't interpret a lockout as cancelling a season. Those are two different things. The thing is with the WNBA, there wouldn't be time to resume a season after a possible lockout. There would be uncontrollable logistics problems with the season overlapping with the NBA's not to mention the fact that the players go overseas in the winter. In the W, lockout would mean cancelling the season, but it'll happen some day, hopefully when the league has achieved major league status. Or something like that Wink

We're going to disagree on this one. Hockey in North America is most definitely a niche by my definition, which means limited (not nationwide) fan appeal, average at best TV contract, minimal press coverage other than ESPN who has the deal.

If you are rating the "Big 4" sports now in NA, I'd say in order Football, Basketball, Baseball (maybe 2 and 3 swap), NASCAR.

You say lockout in WNBA means cancel season, which is exactly why this is now something we can compare to, since the NHL has cancelled the season.

It was pretty funny, Commish B. was on ESPN radio this am on my way in, and of course, while he was on, the head of the players assoc. called in demanding equal time to rebut. I think he's looking to keep his job, because the players seem pretty divided on this one.

By the way, the players wanted 49 mill, the owners would not go that high.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 02/17/05 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To afford a 49-million cap, one has to have the tv deals and the fanbase. It could be niche as in not as wildly popular as football or baseball, but that type of money doesn't come the way of niche sports.
I could say, for instance, that Formula 1 is a niche sport here, but they have more money than any sports league on the planet. So I understand what you're saying, but it is a major league regardless.
They (NHL and Players' Association) negotiated for 5 months, so there was plenty of time to reach an agreement, the W season is too short for that kind of holdup.
If there's a lockout, then most certainly there would be no season. When will the current CBA expire?

PostPosted: 02/17/05 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

$49M sounds crazy... except wasn't the other final number $42.5M? It's not like they were SO far off that they couldn't compromise. Grrrr. Evil or Very Mad And this was the season I was finally going to start watching hockey before the playoffs, too.

CBA's through 2007. We're good for a bit.

(now with spelling variations)
jimmyk

PostPosted: 02/17/05 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The players are miffed. I would be willing to bet that either Goodenow gets sent out on his rump or he does a lot of rear-end kissing to keep his job. It looks to me like it's Goodenow and Bettman who are mainly at fault here...and those eight or so team owners that said that $45 million was too much money. Was there a salary floor? If there was, surely those 8 teams could've matched that. I think the players will be good to go if they know that there's a salary floor as well, if there isn't one already.

DTS has it right on this one. Hockey was becoming one of the big four in NA, but it wasn't there yet...NASCAR passed it long ago. And Bettman and Goodenow have just put it many laps behind.

Let's hope they fix the motor this summer or they may be out for good.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/17/05 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
$49M sounds crazy... except wasn't the other final number $42.5M? It's not like they were SO far off that they couldn't compromise. Grrrr. Evil or Very Mad And this was the season I was finally going to start watching hockey before the playoffs, too.

CBA's through 2007. We're good for a bit.

Queenie, I happened to hear Pierre McGuire with Mike and Chris talking about it yesterday afternoon on FAN. It wasn't so close. It was $42.5 HARD cap and $49 SOFT cap with two increases over ten years, which would have pushed it up to almost $60 million.

They were also saying that several players were extremely PISSED since they had been told there would be no cap offered by the players under any circumstances by Goodenuts, and then they did offer one anyway.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: