RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

covid protocols
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 28306



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/21 8:07 pm    ::: covid protocols Reply Reply with quote

I was interested to hear them discussing some of the things supposedly to happen in SA bubble. Some of which seems pretty strange.

So supposedly they are going to use three buses to get to a game instead of one so the players can be appropriately spaced out. And supposedly each player will have their own room instead of sharing.

My thoughts/questions about this: During practice and games players are unmasked and obviously breathing hard on everybody around them - both their own teammates and opponents...and coaches spend half the time with their masks down around their chins and/or using masks that clearly aren't truly up to the task while yelling at their players. And the trip to San Antonio is going to take longer than most of those bus rides, mostly on planes that aren't really appropriately social distancing. So the three buses and single rooms just seems like extra expense and eye candy to me. Who are they trying to make feel good?

Then they say that Geno won't need to quarantine once he gets to SA because of the 10 days quarantining at home. So what about the trip down there - they're pretending that trip itself is in the bubble. so much BS.


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 16097
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/21 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's elaborate theatre. Thanks for reminding me about another reason why I'm sour on this tournament.



_________________
"The plan is insane. You are insane… I'll need some pants."
FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 2430



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/21 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All Tier 1 members will be wearing Kinexon Safe Tags to help with social distancing and contact tracing.


Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 3123



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/21 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's just hope the officials' rooms are ready when they get to San Antonio. Some officials' rooms weren't ready in Indy and a group of 6 refs were encouraged to go get dinner while in the meantime. One of those 6 officials tested positive after that and all are out of the NCAA Tournament now:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/march-madness-ncaa-officials-covid-tests-contact-tracing/es5a85up0nmy1r9wvja6xqg2l


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 28306



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/21 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
It's elaborate theatre. Thanks for reminding me about another reason why I'm sour on this tournament.


I'm just hoping for the best for all involved. It will be up to individuals to do the best they can with what they have. May they all stay healthy! I'm just not so sanguine that they are truly being protected.


undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 724
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/21 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ugh. Thanks for pointing this out this utter ridiculousness.

I'm also SO over the TV announcers framing it as if these athletes are enduring some sort of hardship. Yes, I'm sure these protocols creaete a confusing, unfamiliar, and stressful situation. But they are freaking scholarship athletes who just played successful seasons and will get the enjoy the atmosphere and experience of March Madness... meanwhile many around the country are sick and jobless and homeless. Sports covid protocols =/= hardship.


purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2621
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/16/21 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty sure teams will be using charter flights like is done every year. Charter flights, met on the ground by the buses to take you to your hotel where each player has their own room. And if it is being done like the men, each team has its' own floor (not sure if that is the case for the women in SA or not). Meals being catered and brought to the hotels for them.

I know someone said they aren't sure they are protected well enough. I guess my question is what would you want done in addition to all this? I believe most teams actually wear their masks during practice (I know of several that do, but not sure that every team does).

So...
Chartered flight
Met on the tarmac by buses
Driven directly to the hotel
Go directly to your own private room
Meals brought to the hotel
Extra spacing on buses to and from practices and games

I really am drawing a blank at what more could be done short of just not playing games or requiring players to wear masks during games. I very easily could be missing something.


undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 724
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/16/21 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

(You are correct that each team has its own hotel floor.)


purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2621
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/16/21 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a fairly lengthy article about the protocols, mostly speaks about the men's event but the same things go for the women's event as well:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31065761/2021-college-basketball-tournaments-pose-challenges-unlike-anything-ncaa-ever-faced


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 62439
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/29/21 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kim Mulkey says the NCAA should stop testing

https://twitter.com/DanielVConnolly/status/1376710839416279041

Quote:
The exact quote:

"There's four teams left...they need to dump the COVID testing. Wouldn't it be a shame to keep COVID testing and then you got kids that end up positive tests and they don't get to play in the Final Four. You need to just forget the COVID tests."



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 6507



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/29/21 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Kim Mulkey says the NCAA should stop testing

https://twitter.com/DanielVConnolly/status/1376710839416279041

Quote:
The exact quote:

"There's four teams left...they need to dump the COVID testing. Wouldn't it be a shame to keep COVID testing and then you got kids that end up positive tests and they don't get to play in the Final Four. You need to just forget the COVID tests."


I agree with what she is saying, sort of. It would be a shame. However what if a positive player played in a game and someone from the other team got seriously ill? That would be the ultimate shame. Keep distanced, wear you mask and wash your hands. You've got like 6 tests to get through. The tourney will be over soon.



_________________
"The biggest antidote to his poison is the vote.” — Nancy Pelosi

"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
PG4ever



Joined: 14 May 2020
Posts: 53



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/29/21 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:
Kim Mulkey says the NCAA should stop testing

https://twitter.com/DanielVConnolly/status/1376710839416279041

Quote:
The exact quote:

"There's four teams left...they need to dump the COVID testing. Wouldn't it be a shame to keep COVID testing and then you got kids that end up positive tests and they don't get to play in the Final Four. You need to just forget the COVID tests."


I agree with what she is saying, sort of. It would be a shame. However what if a positive player played in a game and someone from the other team got seriously ill? That would be the ultimate shame. Keep distanced, wear you mask and wash your hands. You've got like 6 tests to get through. The tourney will be over soon.


Totally irresponsible of Mulkey to say that. Yes, it would be a shame if a player didn't get to play in the Final Four due to a positive covid test but to say that the NCAA should stop testing during the Final Four implies a total disregard for the health and safety of all of the student athletes in the Final Four as well as the families that they will go home to after the Final Four.


undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 724
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/29/21 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I said in another thread, Mulkey is the ultimate Karen of the type "I already had it so I have the antibodies so nothing else matters."

I'm sorry the refs screwed her over big time tonight. That doesn't mean she gets a free pass to stay dumb shit.

I still haven't forgiven her for the comments she made essentially excusing the sexual assault and rape that happened at the hand of some male Baylor athletes. I know she 'apologized' but I still don't really think she gets it.


Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 2616
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
As I said in another thread, Mulkey is the ultimate Karen of the type "I already had it so I have the antibodies so nothing else matters."

I'm sorry the refs screwed her over big time tonight. That doesn't mean she gets a free pass to stay dumb shit.

I still haven't forgiven her for the comments she made essentially excusing the sexual assault and rape that happened at the hand of some male Baylor athletes. I know she 'apologized' but I still don't really think she gets it.


+1 to nearly all of this (other than the being sorry the refs screwed her over part lmao). When did I say I got "covid ain't that serious" vibes from her? Not even three full days ago?! Laughing Rolling Eyes



_________________
"It's not a game of 'how to', it's a game of 'when to.'" –Sue Bird, on basketball but probably also life
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 16097
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 6:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I went from not being thrilled about the continuation of the UConn hegemony to remembering why Baylor is trash and one of the few teams I would actually prefer to see lose when matched up against UConn.



_________________
"The plan is insane. You are insane… I'll need some pants."
PG4ever



Joined: 14 May 2020
Posts: 53



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
As I said in another thread, Mulkey is the ultimate Karen of the type "I already had it so I have the antibodies so nothing else matters."

I'm sorry the refs screwed her over big time tonight. That doesn't mean she gets a free pass to stay dumb shit.

I still haven't forgiven her for the comments she made essentially excusing the sexual assault and rape that happened at the hand of some male Baylor athletes. I know she 'apologized' but I still don't really think she gets it.


Agreed. Mulkey was one of my favorite players back in the early '80s and she knows basketball but her comments about covid and sexual assault, not being openly supportive of lesbian players (Niemann/Nkosi, Griner), she and Baylor wouldn't be a good fit for me or my daughter. But hey, to each her own.


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 6507



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nancy Armor blasted her. And they used such a flattering picture of Kim. Laughing

Quote:
To suggest that a basketball game, even one in the Final Four or for the national title, is more important than a player or coach’s health is as troubling as it is ignorant.

Quote:
Medical experts, of which Mulkey is not one,

Quote:
But for Mulkey to suggest that it should no longer be taken seriously is mind-boggling.

Quote:
It’s true that young people are at lower risk for severe cases of the disease, but to say they will be fine! just fine! is irresponsible.


https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2021/03/29/baylor-coach-kim-mulkey-suggestion-covid-testing/7057351002/



_________________
"The biggest antidote to his poison is the vote.” — Nancy Pelosi

"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 724
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
And they used such a flattering picture of Kim. Laughing


Ooooof I had to laugh when I saw that pic. And it reminded me of how Stormeo was joking she should be T'd up for having the mask below her mouth. Laughing

I have to wonder if Mulkey's comments about forgoing COVID testing are because she is still bitter that Baylor's regular season match-up against UConn was cancelled due to herself having COVID. Early-January UConn was much weaker than how UConn is playing now.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 6308
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
As I said in another thread, Mulkey is the ultimate Karen of the type "I already had it so I have the antibodies so nothing else matters."

I'm sorry the refs screwed her over big time tonight. That doesn't mean she gets a free pass to stay dumb shit.

I still haven't forgiven her for the comments she made essentially excusing the sexual assault and rape that happened at the hand of some male Baylor athletes. I know she 'apologized' but I still don't really think she gets it.



^^^^This. All of it. She is a good coach, but that does not give her the right to say dumb shit, which she does with pretty good regularity. I wouldn't want my kid to play for her on account of that kind of irresponsibility.

That said, I'm sorry the zebras screwed her team over. That does seem to be the impetus for a great many irresponsible words and actions on her part. (thinking about her taking off her jacket to reveal her underwear at a final.)



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 62439
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/31/21 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31173566/kim-mulkey-covid-19-testing-comments-born-talk-ncaa-medical-staff-geno-auriemma-says

Quote:
"What Kim was doing was an extension of a conversation that we had on a Zoom call with the NCAA medical staff," Auriemma said. "Who said to us coaches that after the Sweet 16, having been in the bubble for this amount of time -- and having been tested every day -- the chances that someone would test positive between Monday or Tuesday and Friday, Saturday, Sunday -- to use their words -- were remote.

"Me, I'm OK if they test them, OK if they don't. There were some facts behind what she was saying. It's unfortunate that it came out the way that it did."



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 724
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/31/21 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31173566/kim-mulkey-covid-19-testing-comments-born-talk-ncaa-medical-staff-geno-auriemma-says

Quote:
"What Kim was doing was an extension of a conversation that we had on a Zoom call with the NCAA medical staff," Auriemma said. "Who said to us coaches that after the Sweet 16, having been in the bubble for this amount of time -- and having been tested every day -- the chances that someone would test positive between Monday or Tuesday and Friday, Saturday, Sunday -- to use their words -- were remote.

"Me, I'm OK if they test them, OK if they don't. There were some facts behind what she was saying. It's unfortunate that it came out the way that it did."


Geno, too??? I need these coaches who already got COVID to stop acting like voice of reason on COVID. Superstars saying whatever it takes to get a chance at a precious championship.

And here come the Geno/UConn apologists in 3... 2... 1...


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 28306



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/31/21 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the real fear would be a false positive.


PG4ever



Joined: 14 May 2020
Posts: 53



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/21 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think the real fear would be a false positive.


I would fear false positives too. I hope that the protocol is to retest when a positive comes up.


undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 724
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/21 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I think the real fear would be a false positive.


I would fear false positives too. I hope that the protocol is to retest when a positive comes up.


I bet that's what would happen, and I 100% agree that it should happen. But I bet the networks are antsy that a false positive and additional testing would make the game start late and screw up their TV schedule. Moving back the start time doesn't make much difference for your average regular season game, but when you've sold advertising on a national network... I could see people being nervous. (Not that I think this should be a determining factor.)


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 6507



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/21 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
pilight wrote:
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31173566/kim-mulkey-covid-19-testing-comments-born-talk-ncaa-medical-staff-geno-auriemma-says

Quote:
"What Kim was doing was an extension of a conversation that we had on a Zoom call with the NCAA medical staff," Auriemma said. "Who said to us coaches that after the Sweet 16, having been in the bubble for this amount of time -- and having been tested every day -- the chances that someone would test positive between Monday or Tuesday and Friday, Saturday, Sunday -- to use their words -- were remote.

"Me, I'm OK if they test them, OK if they don't. There were some facts behind what she was saying. It's unfortunate that it came out the way that it did."


Geno, too??? I need these coaches who already got COVID to stop acting like voice of reason on COVID. Superstars saying whatever it takes to get a chance at a precious championship.

And here come the Geno/UConn apologists in 3... 2... 1...


Damn good thing they know basketball, 'cause they sure as hell don't know health and medicine and keeping people alive during a pandemic!!! Rolling Eyes Shocked



_________________
"The biggest antidote to his poison is the vote.” — Nancy Pelosi

"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin