RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 National Freshman of the Year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

2021 Freshman of the Year
Paige Bueckers
48%
 48%  [ 15 ]
Caitlin Clark
41%
 41%  [ 13 ]
Split the award between two organizations like with Ionescu/Slocum
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Another freshman
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 31

Shades

PostPosted: 03/12/21 9:39 pm    ::: 2021 National Freshman of the Year Reply Reply with quote

2021 Freshman of the Year

In 2017, Ionescu was named USBWA (media) National Freshman of the Year.
In 2017, Slocum was named WBCA (coaches) National Freshman of the Year.

5-day poll

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/12/21 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clark is averaging 22 points, 10 assists, and 4 rebounds per game in the B1G tourney. Her efficiency numbers are down but she's getting the job done.

(I don't mean this comment as comparison to or commentary on any of Bueckers' stats. Just a shout out for Clark. Bueckers is amazing too.)

Last edited by undersized_post on 03/12/21 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/12/21 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In 2017 Sabrina Ionescu also won the ESPNW FOY, which Paige Bueckers must implicitly win by already having won ESPNW NPOY.
Shades

PostPosted: 03/13/21 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
In 2017 Sabrina Ionescu also won the ESPNW FOY, which Paige Bueckers must implicitly win by already having won ESPNW NPOY.

Awards from ESPNW determined by the panel of Voepel, Hayes, and Creme are pretty meaningless. Show me a picture of an ESPNW award.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 03/13/21 3:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a UConn fan, I know I don't speak for all of us but I could give two f***s about a FOTY trophy. Yes they're fun awards, but when it comes down to it I'd rather have the trophy at the end then this. I'm more proud of WNBA awards our alum have won such as MVP and ROTY as everyone plays the same comp and there isn't ppl bitching about UConn's schedule. Let Clark have this but don't make it an anti-UConn parade like some have elsewhere (mostly on Twitter and Insta), Lawd who'd think I'd see the day when Rebkell was more civil than Twitter and Insta lol

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/13/21 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
As a UConn fan, I know I don't speak for all of us but I could give two f***s about a FOTY trophy. Yes they're fun awards, but when it comes down to it I'd rather have the trophy at the end then this. I'm more proud of WNBA awards our alum have won such as MVP and ROTY as everyone plays the same comp and there isn't ppl bitching about UConn's schedule. Let Clark have this but don't make it an anti-UConn parade like some have elsewhere (mostly on Twitter and Insta), Lawd who'd think I'd see the day when Rebkell was more civil than Twitter and Insta lol

Hahaha I feel you. As an Iowa fan I don’t care about this award either. Would much rather see my team play with more balance and make some noise in the tournament. However, I’ll say that for every pro-Caitlin anti-Paige troll on social media, there’s also a pro-Paige anti-Caitlin troll. You could also argue that giving Clark this award would be helpful for future recruiting at Iowa.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/13/21 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

Hahaha I feel you. As an Iowa fan I don’t care about this award either. Would much rather see my team play with more balance and make some noise in the tournament. However, I’ll say that for every pro-Caitlin anti-Paige troll on social media, there’s also a pro-Paige anti-Caitlin troll. You could also argue that giving Clark this award would be helpful for future recruiting at Iowa.

Twitter is the armpit of social media and nobody is safe. Iowa fans are just lucky that the subject of Dawn's FAMs are UCONN and Paige, not Iowa and Clark. They're relentless, ruthless, and cruel. UCONN has a different kind of asshole fan and it's smug, arrogant, and high-horse-ish.

Sorry, Conway, don't hate me. LOLOLOL.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/13/21 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First, I don't hate Caitlin Clark. She's a wonderful player with the ball in her hands, truly exceptional.

But I watched her closely yesterday on defense, just to see if I was wrong -- I wasn't.

First, she doesn't try very hard. She's not interested in helping or screening out. They hide her on the worst offensive player, which should mean she could help, but she doesn't. She could take two more steps, sometimes just one, and made a difference defensively, but didn't bother.

Which leads to this: Either she doesn't understand defensive principles or she doesn't care about them. It's hard for me to believe the Iowa staff has never mentioned help as being part of defense, so either she doesn't grasp the situations or she doesn't care enough to react to them.

Next, she's not a particularly imposing physical specimen at this point, and strength is an issue. The quickness we see when she has the ball is not evident on defense, and it may be she's just not capable of reacting as quickly as she can act.

Finally, her fundamentals are weak. She loses sight of the ball, has shaky footwork and again, doesn't seem to grasp the idea of team defense.

Now I haven't watched Bueckers as closely, but from what I've seen she's a much better defender (which granted wouldn't take much), and so that's why Bueckers is a clear choice for me.

PostPosted: 03/13/21 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When you have a player as important as Clark is to her team, you can’t put her in a position to be sitting on the bench just because she’s picking up fouls playing lockdown defense. Her staying on the court is the most important thing. That’s why point guards in general aren’t known for great defense. Don’t believe Bueckers has been playing significantly better defense than Clark. It’s just a better team defense.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/13/21 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

agree. neither would get defensive awards. but I also noticed what Clay said - there were a few times when even a nominal effort on defense would have made a difference and Clark didn't bother. Bueckers is too competitive to do that - she would just instinctively have gone for it. Anyway, we know these awards have pretty much zero to do with defense.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/14/21 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
neither would get defensive awards.

For what it's worth Bueckers leads the country (or did 5 days ago) in defensive Win Share. Clark is far far down the list.
Clark is No 1 in offensive WS while Bueckers is 5th.
Bueckers leads the country in total WS.

I love watching Clark. She's an AA. But don't compare her defensive play to Bueckers.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/14/21 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

For what it's worth Bueckers leads the country (or did 5 days ago) in defensive Win Share. Clark is far far down the list.

I love watching Clark. She's an AA. But don't compare her defensive play to Bueckers.

Would you be willing to briefly explain what these stats mean?

linkster

PostPosted: 03/14/21 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
linkster wrote:

Would you be willing to briefly explain what these stats mean?

Quote:
"Win Shares is a player statistic which attempts to divvy up credit for team success to the individuals on the team".

here's a link that has more than you want to know:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/ws.html

And no, it wasn't invented by a UConn fan. Rolling Eyes

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/23/21 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Re: the "Caitlin vs. Paige" BS that we've been subjected to so much this season. At 3:30 of this press conference (link below) reporter asks Clark how she feels about the match-up. She opens her response, "I think me and Paige would give you the same answer: it's not Caitlin Clark versus Paige Bueckers, it's Iowa vs. UConn." Now if only the media would take the hint and present it as such Rolling Eyes

https://youtu.be/28t3yFUrNMg?t=210

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/23/21 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As someone who has watched Bueckers closely this season, I think at some point in her career, she will win defensive awards.

PostPosted: 03/23/21 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paige vs. Caitlin isn't BS; it's marketing and informational gold. The college game hasn't had two such exciting freshman since the Holy Trinity of Frosh, later called the Three to See: Griner, EDD and Diggins.

But both Clark and Bueckers are better players than Diggins, right now, and both are more electrically exciting than bigs such as Griner and EDD.

This dynamic duo is both statistically and optically sui generis for freshmen, and they both deserve all the media attention they can get, especially in their first and maybe last appearance against each other. It's good marketing for a sport that is too full of crummy, klutzy and spastic performances.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/23/21 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Paige vs. Caitlin isn't BS; it's marketing and informational gold. The college game hasn't had two such exciting freshman since the Holy Trinity of Frosh, later called the Three to See: Griner, EDD and Diggins.

But both Clark and Bueckers are better players than Diggins, right now, and both are more electrically exciting than bigs such as Griner and EDD.

This dynamic duo is both statistically and optically sui generis for freshmen, and they both deserve all the media attention they can get, especially in their first and maybe last appearance against each other. It's good marketing for a sport that is too full of crummy, klutzy and spastic performances.

Appreciate you for framing it like this. Re: 'crummy, klutzy, and spastic performance'...better knock or wood because Iowa has been known to deliver plenty of those Rolling Eyes

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/24/21 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Re: the "Caitlin vs. Paige" BS that we've been subjected to so much this season. At 3:30 of this press conference (link below) reporter asks Clark how she feels about the match-up. She opens her response, "I think me and Paige would give you the same answer: it's not Caitlin Clark versus Paige Bueckers, it's Iowa vs. UConn." Now if only the media would take the hint and present it as such Rolling Eyes

https://youtu.be/28t3yFUrNMg?t=210

GO listen to Paige's interview last night with Holly-she says pretty much the same thing. It's clear that the production team has told Holly to beat this drum relentlessly, but Paige didn't take the bait.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/24/21 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The matchup is meaningless, really ...

But I watched the ESPN highlight package for both off their last games, and it's interesting.

Clark has two moves: Left for the three or jumper; right to the hoop. That's not a criticism, as those two moves, combined with her tremendous shooting, make it almost impossible to guard her.

If you don't respect the right-hand dribble, she goes to the rack. If you react, she goes left and shoots right now.

Bueckers seems like more of an all-around player, and less of a dynamic scorer. Yes, Bueckers can score but she doesn't look like a 40-point game waiting to happen. But she appears to be more versatile offensively and a better passer.

Defensively, my thoughts on Clark are familiar, and it seems Bueckers is somewhat better, but hard to say.

So it's more about scorer first vs. all-round offense, I think, in terms of who you like.

PostPosted: 03/24/21 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I predict that both Associations will give the award to whoever wins the upcoming UConn-Iowa matchup as a matter of convenience (unless they have to announce it before the Sweet 16).

Tally24

PostPosted: 03/24/21 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
agree. neither would get defensive awards. but I also noticed what Clay said - there were a few times when even a nominal effort on defense would have made a difference and Clark didn't bother. Bueckers is too competitive to do that - she would just instinctively have gone for it. Anyway, we know these awards have pretty much zero to do with defense.

Ditto. The same can be said about Howard, at times. And, I have noticed the lack of effort sometimes from Dungee over a lot of the games I’ve watched of Arkansas...just a lack of extra effort around the rim (except for the UConn game 💀).
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/24/21 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The matchup is meaningless, really ...

But I watched the ESPN highlight package for both off their last games, and it's interesting.

Clark has two moves: Left for the three or jumper; right to the hoop. That's not a criticism, as those two moves, combined with her tremendous shooting, make it almost impossible to guard her.

If you don't respect the right-hand dribble, she goes to the rack. If you react, she goes left and shoots right now.

Bueckers seems like more of an all-around player, and less of a dynamic scorer. Yes, Bueckers can score but she doesn't look like a 40-point game waiting to happen. But she appears to be more versatile offensively and a better passer.

Defensively, my thoughts on Clark are familiar, and it seems Bueckers is somewhat better, but hard to say.

So it's more about scorer first vs. all-round offense, I think, in terms of who you like.

I agree with your overall point but I think Clark has more versatility than you give her credit for. The moves you pointed are clearly her favorites, but if the shots are falling and Kentucky's defensive scheme isn't taking those away from her, you can't fault her for doing them over and over! That says more about Kentucky's lack of defense yesterday than Clark's lack of versatility. She also makes incredible passes, and I think you'd see this even moreso if she was playing with more skilled players, especially at the 2, 3, and 4 positions. But she's great at kicking out off the drive and even better at dishing to Czinano off the pick and roll. But you can't truly evaluate her passing when she's playing within an offensive system that relies on her to take so many shots.

(p.s. The caveat I've given countless times at this point: None of this is to say Clark is "better" or to disparage Bueckers or even to say Clark should win FOY. Bueckers is fantastic. Just trying to point out the skills Clark has that are not talked about as much. People are so quick to say, "she's just a scorer.")

Shades

PostPosted: 04/04/21 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They split the USBWA National Freshman Award between Bueckers and Clark.
https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2021/4/2/womens-basketball-bueckers-named-usbwa-tamika-catchings-co-freshman-of-the-year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: