RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2020-21 edition coaches on hot seat
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/15/20 10:25 am    ::: 2020-21 edition coaches on hot seat Reply Reply with quote

New season, new buns to toast.

Well we no longer have JPM to debate. But some folks from the past who have been on the list.

Stephanie White (Vandy)
Terri Williams Flourney (Auburn)
Sherri Coale (OK)

Question. With all the craziness of COVID, do coaches get a free pass? Is this a year where you try to make changes.

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/15/20 11:52 am    ::: Re: 2020-21 edition coaches on hot seat Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

Well we no longer have JPM to debate. But some folks from the past who have been on the list.

Stephanie White (Vandy)
Sherri Coale (OK)

Question. With all the craziness of COVID, do coaches get a free pass? Is this a year where you try to make changes.

I was going to post this last week, but I wasn't sure if there was already a thread for it, so I didn't. But, thanks.

Sharon Versyp (Purdue)

Is it too early for Tina Thompson to be on the list? She has done a terrible job at Virginia.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/15/20 12:03 pm    ::: Re: 2020-21 edition coaches on hot seat Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Stephanie White (Vandy)
Sherri Coale (OK)

I was going to post this last week, but I wasn't sure if there was already a thread for it, so I didn't. But, thanks.

Sharon Versyp (Purdue)

Is it too early for Tina Thompson to be on the list? She has done a terrible job at Virginia.

Versyp yeah. But TT really has had to rebuild the program as Boyle was letting it stagnate so I can see fans ready for some signs of improvement but she really didn’t have a lot to work with.

Last year saw a little bit of cooling on Nikki Fargas but LSU looks really bad.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/15/20 1:08 pm    ::: Re: 2020-21 edition coaches on hot seat Reply Reply with quote

Versyp. Versyp. Dear God, Versyp.

Had last year not fallen apart, I think she would have been let go then. It has to happen this year.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/15/20 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t know what happened at Virginia, but they have been playing with only seven available players.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/16/20 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think COVID's pausing a lot of buyouts. (Unless you're Auburn football, I guess.) Handing out a sack of money to make someone go away is not a fiscally sound move in a time when staffs are taking pay cuts and schools are cutting sports. (Unless you're Auburn football, I guess.)

I also wonder what this means for the usual carousel. How much firing is legitimately going to happen if it means you have to spend money to hire someone new? And how many teams, and how many coaches, are going to have excuses revolving around player availability and game uncertainty and and and *gestures broadly at everything*? For example, I was unimpressed with Thompson at Virginia and her "we're going to run into you and either draw a block or get called for a charge" offense last year, but she can point at this year and go "I have no players, what exactly are you expecting me to produce?" Conversely, how many coaches can get themselves off the hot seat by promising pie in the sky next year with the extra year for their seniors?

It's going to be a weird couple of years on the coach watch.

PostPosted: 12/16/20 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UW Coach Jody Wynn at this point is always on my hot-seat list – so long as Oregon Assoc. HC and Seattle 'native' Mark Campbell isn't spoken for...

GEF34

PostPosted: 12/16/20 1:02 am    ::: Re: 2020-21 edition coaches on hot seat Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

Virginia has 2 players with season ending leg injuries, another player that is out indefinitely with a leg injury, a player opt out for the season and another player that is listed as day to day. The only players that have been available for all 5 games have been 3 freshmen, a sophomore and a redshirt sophomore. They are currently trying to get athletes on other teams cleared so they can play on the basketball team. I’m not sure how many coaches in America would be able to do much better in the same situation.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/07/21 5:46 pm    ::: Re: 2020-21 edition coaches on hot seat Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Had last year not fallen apart, I think she would have been let go then. It has to happen this year.

They had only 17 points in the second half today, giving Illinois their first conference win. How far they’ve fallen! She should be done.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/07/21 6:53 pm    ::: Re: 2020-21 edition coaches on hot seat Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

They had only 17 points in the second half today, giving Illinois their first conference win. How far they’ve fallen! She should be done.

She has taken what had been a consistent Top 10 program and to one of the worse in the Big Ten. This will be their fourth year in a row of not making the NCAAs (they had not chance last year even if their had been a tournament).

There isn't a major conference coach who has destroyed their program as much as Versyp. It's probably not even close.

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/07/21 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are hot seat candidates a plenty, but will pandemic lead to fewer changes?

Auburn
Vanderbilt
Washington
Wisconsin
Illinois
Purdue
Oklahoma
Kansas
Virginia

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/08/21 3:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
There are hot seat candidates a plenty, but will pandemic lead to fewer changes?

Auburn
Vanderbilt
Washington
Wisconsin
Illinois
Purdue
Oklahoma
Kansas
Virginia

I can only hope. Even then, a coaching change likely won't happen because of the finances of it all. Crying or Very sad

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/08/21 4:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Florida.

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/08/21 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Auburn
Vanderbilt
Washington
Wisconsin
Illinois
Purdue
Oklahoma
Kansas
Virginia

I can only hope. Even then, a coaching change likely won't happen because of the finances of it all. Crying or Very sad

Colorado and Utah's coaches contracts are up at the end of this season, or next? If its this season then I should have included them too

Edit: Nevermind, I looked it up, Utah coach is extended through 2023 https://utahutes.com/news/2018/5/7/womens-basketball-roberts-receives-contract-extension.aspx

Jody Wynn looks to be in year 4 of a 6 year deal?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/08/21 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Colorado and Utah's coaches contracts are up at the end of this season, or next? If its this season then I should have included them too

Edit: Nevermind, I looked it up, Utah coach is extended through 2023 https://utahutes.com/news/2018/5/7/womens-basketball-roberts-receives-contract-extension.aspx

My bad on missing Utah’s extension for Lynne Roberts. Embarassed But yes, it now looks like both Wynn and Roberts have two years left after this season on their respective deals. JR Payne’s contract at Colorado is due to run out at the end of this season, and I don’t see her getting retained cuz Colorado hasn’t gone anywhere in her 5 years at the helm.

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/08/21 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Durantula wrote:

My bad on missing Utah’s extension for Lynne Roberts. Embarassed But yes, it now looks like both Wynn and Roberts have two years left after this season on their respective deals. JR Payne’s contract at Colorado is due to run out at the end of this season, and I don’t see her getting retained cuz Colorado hasn’t gone anywhere in her 5 years at the helm.

It appears Payne got extended for an extra year back in 2017, so even she may be set through 2021-2022 season. The more I look the more I think maybe this offseason will be quiet.

https://www.buffzone.com/2017/04/06/cu-regents-approve-contract-extensions-for-boyle-payne-mahoney/
As expected, Colorado’s Board of Regents on Thursday approved a one-year contract extension for men’s basketball coach Tad Boyle.

Similar agreements were approved for women’s basketball coach JR Payne and volleyball coach Jesse Mahoney. All the extensions are contractually-based and are automatically invoked unless one of the coaches or the university chooses not to.

Boyle, who just completed his seventh season guiding the men’s basketball team, now is under contract through the 2021-22 season.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/08/21 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Durantula wrote:

It appears Payne got extended for an extra year back in 2017, so even she may be set through 2021-2022 season. The more I look the more I think maybe this offseason will be quiet.

https://www.buffzone.com/2017/04/06/cu-regents-approve-contract-extensions-for-boyle-payne-mahoney/
As expected, Colorado’s Board of Regents on Thursday approved a one-year contract extension for men’s basketball coach Tad Boyle.

Similar agreements were approved for women’s basketball coach JR Payne and volleyball coach Jesse Mahoney. All the extensions are contractually-based and are automatically invoked unless one of the coaches or the university chooses not to.

Boyle, who just completed his seventh season guiding the men’s basketball team, now is under contract through the 2021-22 season.

I saw that press release and just thought they were talking about Payne's original contract being approved? But yeah, it looks like they agreed early-on to give her a one-year extension. Weird. Still, if they have the funds for it, the programs of Washington, Utah, and Colorado ought to start fresh next fall anyway, seeing as none of them are going anywhere in a Conference that has arguably never been more competitive.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/08/21 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One issue is the uncertainty of the summer recruiting season. Even though most of the top club teams played, college coaches weren't out on the road, and it could be they won't be out there recruiting this summer either.

If that's the case, I would think ADs would be less willing to eat a contract year just because the new coach might not be able to get out on the circuit and sell her program.

PostPosted: 02/08/21 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kansas State.

Jeff Mittie has not had a really decent season in his 5 there, imo. It was a once-very-proud program.

Oklahoma is a conundrum. Definitely waaay off their best -- which was FF quality back when -- but Coale is a semi-institution there.

PostPosted: 02/08/21 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Kansas State.

Jeff Mittie has not had a really decent season in his 5 there, imo. It was a once-very-proud program.

Oklahoma is a conundrum. Definitely waaay off their best -- which was FF quality back when -- but Coale is a semi-institution there.

That is an interesting one, but Kansas State has made the NCAA tournament 3 times, and this is Mittie's 7th season. This year is bad, and I don't remember if they were a potential tournament team last year, but they made 2nd round in 2016, 2017 and then lost in 1st round in 2019. They are no doubt bad but I can't help but think there are a lot of coaches who aren't sniffing a NCAA tournament anytime soon.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 02/08/21 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Losing in-conference records among P5 coaches with at least 3 years of experience as of the 2019-20 season:

Nancy Fahey - Illinois - 4-46 (.080) in 3 seasons
Brandon Schneider - Kansas - 10-76 (.116) in 5 seasons
Jodi Wynn - Washington - 8-53 (.151) in 3 seasons
Jonathan Tsipis - Wisconsin - 12-56 (.176) in 4 seasons
Stephanie White - Vanderbilt - 13-51 (.203) in 4 seasons
JR Payne - Colorado - 17-55 (.236) in 4 seasons
Cam Newbauer - Florida - 12-36 (.250) in 3 seasons
Jen Hoover - Wake Forest - 37-95 (.280) in 9 seasons
Mike Neighbors - Arkansas - 19-29 (.333) in 3 seasons
Kristy Curry - Alabama - 38-74 (.339) in 7 seasons
Adia Barnes - Arizona - 26-46 (.361) in 4 seasons
Lynne Roberts - Utah - 30-42 (.400) in 5 seasons
Terri Williams-Flournoy - Auburn - 48-80 (.400) in 8 seasons
Joe McKeown - Northwestern - 83-121 (.407) in 12 seasons
Kenny Brooks - Virginia Tech - 27-39 (.409) in 4 seasons
Robin Pingeton - Missouri - 71-91 (.438) in 10 seasons
Amy Williams - Nebraska - 30-38 (.441) in 4 seasons
Jim Littell - Oklahoma State - 76-86 (.469) in 9 seasons
Jeff Mittie - Kansas State - 54-54 (.500) in 6 seasons

Coaches with winning career records who have been under .500 over the last 3 seasons:
Sherri Coale - Oklahoma - 20-34 (.370), 244-152 (.616) overall in 24 seasons
Sharon Versyp - Purdue - 25-27 (.481), 136-102 (.571) overall in 14 seasons

PostPosted: 02/08/21 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Losing in-conference records among P5 coaches with at least 3 years of experience as of the 2019-20 season:

Coaches with winning career records who have been under .500 over the last 3 seasons:

I think Kenny Brooks' teams have improved each year in a tough, tough conference. You have to look at where they were to begin with before you diss him too much. Same with Neighbors. Improvement has been steady for both of them. Amy Williams likewise. The ones who are stuck after 5 seasons and not improving any are the ones who ought to be feeling their butts getting warm. IMNSHO 3 seasons is hardly enough time to even build a team, let alone a program, but after 5 your team ought to be going up. Of course there's also the problem of support from your AD, which some coaches and programs flatly DO NOT GET. Wisconsin, for instance, didn't get any when Pat Richter was AD and I'm not sure it's a whole lot better under Barry Alvarez. There are some schools, like Northwestern, that have higher academic standards than others, They've actually been pretty respectable in recent years. Vanderbilt, with similar academic standards, has not. SO I don't think we can make a great deal out of this list. There are too many other factors to consider.

PostPosted: 02/08/21 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

Interesting stats (thank you for that effort!). Some of these are definitely on the uptick (Neighbors, Barnes), so there's no heat in their seat. Others, like Littell and Coale, are too well-liked to probably feel any real heat. And those with 3 or 4 years oughtta be given the benefit of the doubt. Then....there's the rest. Shocked

PostPosted: 02/09/21 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Interesting stats (thank you for that effort!). Some of these are definitely on the uptick (Neighbors, Barnes), so there's no heat in their seat. Others, like Littell and Coale, are too well-liked to probably feel any real heat. And those with 3 or 4 years oughtta be given the benefit of the doubt. Then....there's the rest. Shocked

Yep nice research! I think Neighbors passes the eye test especially with the past few seasons. If Slocum and/or Dungee do the most unexpected and exercise their right to utilize an extra year of eligibility, next year can be special as well!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/09/21 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Howee wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Yep nice research! I think Neighbors passes the eye test especially with the past few seasons. If Slocum and/or Dungee do the most unexpected and exercise their right to utilize an extra year of eligibility, next year can be special as well!

On the other hand, among those who are stuck....basically not going anywhere after 7 seasons or so...are Kristy Curry, Robin Pingeton, and Terri Williams-Flournoy. They just don't seem to be able to get much above that 400 mark and never have. I'm sad about Jonathan Tsipis. I think he's a good coach but I think he's in an untenable situation. It looks like Barry Alvarez doesn't care any more about WBB than Pat Richter did. Sad WBB at my alma mater has gone to hell. I don't know what to think about Wake Forest. Maybe they don't care about WBB either. I mean, she's been there 9 seasons and their record is 37-95 and she's STILL there? What?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: