13%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 37

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/27/21 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
root_thing wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Sims is a 28-year-old career starter (mostly) with one-year left on a $119,000 contract. That seems rather modest under the new CBA. Meanwhile, Sami Whitcomb, a 32-year-old career backup gets $150,350 per year for 2 years guaranteed, and NY had to throw in Stephanie Talbot. It's the same market. Nonetheless, Indiana couldn't even be bothered to keep Sims. So, bad luck or bad timing doesn't seem like a sufficient answer.

I suppose we could also say NY made a really, really, really stupid deal. Razz

Rolling Eyes as if New York's loss is Seattle's gain in this situation. Puh-lease.

Laughing It always amuses me when people fixate on a minor point of the post rather than the main point. And if Talbot is so worthless, then why did Seattle take her?

I guess I should have highlighted the "really, really, really stupid deal" part. NY had the money to spend. She fills multiple roles. She's won 2 championships. And as a Storm fan, she was the crowd favorite.

So, also as a Storm fan, it's a little frustrating for me that her new team's fans are shitting on her already.

And what I can say about Talbot...I can't. Other than consistantly being the slowest player on the court up and down, she's literally never done anything memorable in any of the many WNBA games I've seen her play in.

I was being sarcastic about the alternative explanation. Again, the point of the post is that Sims makes a reasonable salary for a career starter. All you have to do is look at the market -- especially Whitcomb's contract. So, why is Odyssey being treated like she's some kind of burden? It's a fair question to ask, and so far no one has answered it. There were people who were convinced this was some kind of maneuver to get her back on the Lynx. Obviously, since Sims signed with Atlanta, that's not the case.

I haven't seen any Liberty fan say they dislike Whitcomb. But yeah, some of us don't like that contract and don't feel another wing was needed. As a result, New York faces a roster space and salary cap problem. Feeling that decision was a bad one isn't "shitting" on Whitcomb as a player. And in the end, whether you like it or not, Talbot was part of the negotiated deal. She wouldn't be included unless Seattle wanted her. Hughes is clearly trying to fill that small forward spot vacated by Clark, and I guess whoever doesn't win the starting job is a candidate to fill Whitcomb's bench wing slot. Dan has acquired one young player (Herbert-Harrigan), one young vet (Talbot), and one old vet (Young). It's the old throw 'em up against the wall and see who sticks approach. Varying the experience level of the players he's trying-out is a smart move.

As for Talbot, she's a tough physical player. You might think she's slow, but when her Opals teammate Rebecca Allen was asked to describe Talbot in one word, she chose "athletic". The knock on Talbot is that she doesn't score enough. However, she's coming off a great Australian season where she not only beat out Cambage for MVP, but also won defensive player of the year. So, maybe Stephanie can actually fill a 3&D role. You might be interested to know that her career field goal and 3Pt percentages are a tad better than Whitcomb's (40.7/35.4 vs 38.1/35.1). She's also arriving at age 27/28 whereas Sami was 28/29. Anyway, whether she's replacing Clark or Whitcomb, no one is saying Talbot has to be as good. If she can just be 80% as good, that saves you from having a big hole in either slot.

Apologies to everyone else for going off topic.

PostPosted: 02/27/21 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In defense of Sims, her scenario wasn’t necessarily a normal one. The Lynx had to get rid of someone, the choices were Collier/Dantas/Fowles/Sims, with acquiring McBride and Powers while already having Dangerfield emerging, hometown hero Banham, and Brown, Sims was somewhat the easy casualty, IMO.

And this was all happening while almost every team’s cap space is pretty much tied up, which is why the deal to the Fever was able to be completed, but it was clear there was no intention on Sims side to play there.

PostPosted: 02/27/21 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems as though the Lynx tied up Sims for so long that by the time they traded her there weren't enough teams with cap space or open roster spots to pick up her contract. Perhaps that was the Lynx plan so that they could then sign again. If so, it didn't work.

I think it is a no brainer that Sims is worth more than Whitcomb so I think NY made a poor choice. However, this has been a FA season where a lot of decisions seem questionable: Storm trading No. for KLS; Storm letting Clark get away'; Fever dumping Sims; Lynx overpaying Powers and there are probably (or will be) others - maybe the Dream will even regret signing Sims. We'll see sooner or later which ones were smart and which ones weren't. The WNBA is new to this kind of FA and teams are probably not very good at it. Heck - NBA teams do a lousy job too despite years of experience. It seems like half the NBA contracts signed every year become bad contracts were quickly.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/27/21 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
but it was clear there was no intention on Sims side to play there.

We don't actually know that. For all we know, especially for the sake of 120k, Sims would've happily shown up to play in Indiana. I'm yet to find anyone who can really entirely understand the insta-waive.

PostPosted: 02/27/21 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
but it was clear there was no intention on Sims side to play there.

We don't actually know that. For all we know, especially for the sake of 120k, Sims would've happily shown up to play in Indiana. I'm yet to find anyone who can really entirely understand the insta-waive.

Forgot to put IMO on that, instead of insinuating that it was a fact. My mistake.

Just don’t think Sims is at the point of her career where she’s willing to play for an underdeveloped team, IMO.

PostPosted: 02/27/21 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Just don’t think Sims is at the point of her career where she’s willing to play for an underdeveloped team, IMO.

What's she doing in Atlanta then?

#NATC

PostPosted: 02/27/21 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Good point, Atlanta hasn’t been successful lately either. But at least this off-season they’ve made moves to position themselves into the playoffs. Atlanta, on paper, looks stronger than Indiana to me.

PostPosted: 02/27/21 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Good point, Atlanta hasn’t been successful lately either. But at least this off-season they’ve made moves to position themselves into the playoffs. Atlanta, on paper, looks stronger than Indiana to me.

+1. Everyone looks like they're in better shape than Indiana this year. Maybe the Fever cut Sims cuz they were afraid Sims' presence would take them out of the 2022 Rhyne Howard Sweepstakes? Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: