RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Entire NCAA Tourney to be held in San Antonio bubble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/05/21 6:31 pm    ::: Entire NCAA Tourney to be held in San Antonio bubble Reply Reply with quote

Entire NCAA women's basketball tournament to be held in San Antonio area

Quote:
The women's NCAA basketball tournament will be held on six courts at five venues in the San Antonio region from March 21 to April 4, it was announced Friday. The Alamodome will host the Women's Final Four, Elite Eight and Sweet 16. All 63 games of the 64-team event will be televised by the ESPN family of networks and available on the ESPN App. No decision has been made yet about fan attendance.

"We feel certain that one geographic region allows us to focus on the potential benefits of conducting certain safety measures in a controlled environment with competition and practice venues, medical resources and lodging for teams and officials all within close proximity," Division I women's basketball committee chair Nina King said.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30840486/entire-ncaa-women-tournament-held-san-antonio-area

Quote:
The NCAA has put together a number of protocols, incl. 7 negatives prior to departure to SA, private charter travel, weekly tests upon arrival, and players will be kept in their own pods, w/ 0 allowance for interaction.

https://twitter.com/herhoopstats/status/1357760468669116416?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1357760468669116416%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/05/21 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Schedule here.
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2021-02-05/san-antonio-region-host-2021-division-i-womens-basketball-championship

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/06/21 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good news, really -- but is the NCAA paying for the private charters?

PostPosted: 02/06/21 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I was under the impression that the NCAA paid all expenses.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/06/21 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The big change is the gaps between some rounds. It's usually been 5 days. This year teams will have 4 days between the 2nd and 3rd rounds and only 3 days between the E8 and FF semi.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/06/21 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I read something that implied for the Men's Tournament that the schools will have to pay for the 7 days of negative tests - that seems like it would be a big expense for the schools.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/07/21 2:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
The big change is the gaps between some rounds. It's usually been 5 days. This year teams will have 4 days between the 2nd and 3rd rounds and only 3 days between the E8 and FF semi.

Since the teams won't need a travel day in between those rounds, it's almost a wash.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/02/21 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So how much of a “bubble” is it gonna be with Texas opening everything back up “100%”? Is there still time for the NCAA to move the Tournament to a different state? I can’t imagine teams will be comfortable traveling to San Antonio at all, let alone playing there for potentially multiple weeks. Abbott couldn’t have waited even one fucking month before pulling this shit on everyone??? Evil or Very Mad

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/02/21 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I read something that implied for the Men's Tournament that the schools will have to pay for the 7 days of negative tests - that seems like it would be a big expense for the schools.

Given the team payouts for participation I don't think this is a big deal.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/02/21 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
So how much of a “bubble” is it gonna be with Texas opening everything back up “100%”? Is there still time for the NCAA to move the Tournament to a different state? I can’t imagine teams will be comfortable traveling to San Antonio at all, let alone playing there for potentially multiple weeks. Abbott couldn’t have waited even one fucking month before pulling this shit on everyone??? Evil or Very Mad

I had the same thought . . . how crazy it is to hold the tournament there! But it’s probably too late to move it.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/02/21 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I had the same thought . . . how crazy it is to hold the tournament there! But it’s probably too late to move it.

Assuming they can't move it, it might get cancelled again if enough Tournament teams simply refuse to go. I don't know how likely that is, but we'll get a good feel of it once teams' coaches start speaking out about it (cuz they will, and soon).

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/02/21 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I mean, does it make a difference? I live in NY, the state with the most restrictions and the most cases. I think personal responsibility is the key here and I bet you the NCAA and each school will do everything in their power to ensure the safety of the teams, student-athletes, coaches, and support staff.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/02/21 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I mean, does it make a difference? I live in NY, the state with the most restrictions and the most cases. I think personal responsibility is the key here and I bet you the NCAA and each school will do everything in their power to ensure the safety of the teams, student-athletes, coaches, and support staff.

Has the NCAA decided about fan attendance? Because that's going to negate personal responsibility right there.

And are they actually going to get 256 coaches to keep their masks on during games?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/02/21 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see why Gov. Abbott's removal of restrictions on businesses and mask mandates would necessarily change anything in the so-called NCAA tournament "bubble".

What's a "bubble" anyway? Isn't is mainly just a metaphor for the a process whereby the teams are supposed to stay in their hotels and arenas and go nowhere else, while having their own medical and testing facilities? The NCAA and/or individual schools can still follow those same rules and mandate masks, no matter what Texans are doing in bars, restaurant, malls, rodeos or whatever.

As to fans in the arenas, I'm not sure who controls that. However, I would generally assume that if the NCAA wants to keep fans away by not selling game tickets, or selling only a limited number of tickets, they can do that. Texas can't order fans into the arenas.
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/03/21 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I don't see why Gov. Abbott's removal of restrictions on businesses and mask mandates would necessarily change anything in the so-called NCAA tournament "bubble".

What's a "bubble" anyway? Isn't is mainly just a metaphor for the a process whereby the teams are supposed to stay in their hotels and arenas and go nowhere else, while having their own medical and testing facilities? The NCAA and/or individual schools can still follow those same rules and mandate masks, no matter what Texans are doing in bars, restaurant, malls, rodeos or whatever.

As to fans in the arenas, I'm not sure who controls that. However, I would generally assume that if the NCAA wants to keep fans away by not selling game tickets, or selling only a limited number of tickets, they can do that. Texas can't order fans into the arenas.

^ This exactly. Even if Bubba's BBQ & Beer Hall is wall to wall people, it doesn't impact the tournament one bit. The NCAA will still have their protocols in place with as much as isolation as possible. The last thing they will want to do is risk the exposure of their teams to covid, just like it was last week. They don't want a bunch of games to turn into forfeits if they can avoid it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: