RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#3 Connecticut @ #19 Arkansas - 1/28/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/28/21 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:
McLean looks like she's been shot anytime anyone touches her.

LOL-she is emulating Dungee. Does Chelsea always play like this. She acts like she's running into a water buffalo and bouncing off them, every time she tries to drive. She is killing us and we may lose, but she could have 5 offensive fouls right now.

This season, from what I’ve watched, Dungee is very adept at drawing contact, and selling it—very Bonner-esque.

or like DT. It's impressive. She does manage to avoid hitting people head on most of the time so by wiggling past it's a defensive foul even if she initiates the contact.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/28/21 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting time for the refs to decide not to call the fouls when Arky drives.

- Amanda Gorman
singinerd54

PostPosted: 01/28/21 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a fittingly disappointing end to a very disappointing game.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/28/21 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The better executing and better coached team won. I like watching heroic individual performances. Wow, Dungee, and semi-wow, Bueckers. So, I enjoyed this game.
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/28/21 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But Bueckers really a warrior when it counts. She just needed a little more help.
Westbrook outstanding from three.
But the inside play, which should have shone against this small team, was just yikes.
Has Ododa had a decent game ever against a team with a pulse?
I love Edwards. She just needs to learn some non-fouling techniques.
Still don't see the love for Griffin. Yeah, she's athletic, but what else?
And McLean...those flops were really too much. Even though she got two of them to work, if the refs see her very much, they won't 'fall' for that BS too often. Other than that she looks like Griffin redux.

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/28/21 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Phew phew phew it’s a 22 Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 01/28/21 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:

LOL-she is emulating Dungee. Does Chelsea always play like this. She acts like she's running into a water buffalo and bouncing off them, every time she tries to drive. She is killing us and we may lose, but she could have 5 offensive fouls right now.

Agreed the gal can draw some strange fouls smh

PostPosted: 01/28/21 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn's not used to close games, are they? Maybe it's just confirmation bias speaking, but it seems like UConn's reaction to a game that's tight late is essentially "AAAAAAAAAAAAAH why are they still here WHAT DO WHAT DO?"

PostPosted: 01/28/21 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That being said, that should have been a shot clock violation at the end on Arkansas and Connecticut should have had more time to put together a possession off a dead ball turnover that one presumes would have been slightly more organized than... that.

PostPosted: 01/28/21 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
UConn's not used to close games, are they? Maybe it's just confirmation bias speaking, but it seems like UConn's reaction to a game that's tight late is essentially "AAAAAAAAAAAAAH why are they still here WHAT DO WHAT DO?"

Geno's record in close and OT games is mediocre . . . at most.

Myrtle correct that UConn's bigs were either effete or stupidly foul prone and hence completely ineffective. What a deplorable paint attack against a shorter team. But credit Ark's swarming iron interior defense for forcing much of the UConn paint anemia.

Ark then wins a three-point shootout 13-12.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/28/21 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations, Coach Neighbors. Great team win.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/28/21 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This UConn team does not have the focus and discipline I’m used to seeing from a Geno-coached team. Having said that, Ark is very underrated. Neighbors has done a great job with them.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 01/28/21 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm glad we got a L outta the way..there may be a more before the NCAAs, but it's back to the drawing board. We really need Saylor! I love Nika, but she's another Ticha in terms of excellent ball-handling (hurts the team with lack of offensive mindset). ONO needs to be more aggressive and Edwards needs to stay outta foul trouble! Props to Coach Neighbors and squad, they were ready and they made their runs.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/28/21 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno postgame press conference. He's mostly quietly analytical and seemed deliberately avoiding any negative snark about the team.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dQs8E7wai24" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 01/28/21 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
ucbart

PostPosted: 01/28/21 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
This UConn team does not have the focus and discipline I’m used to seeing from a Geno-coached team. Having said that, Ark is very underrated. Neighbors has done a great job with them.

Agree-

We have virtually a brand new team. The only two players with real UCONN experience, just aren't natural alpha/leader types.

*A few observations:

1. I bet Arkansas never shoots like that again. Literally everything they threw up, went in.
2. Dungee schooled us, but her theatrics are just very off-putting to me. The constant throwing her body around, trying to draw ridiculous fouls
3. We miss Makurat. She is just a much smarter and knows our offense way better than Aubrey. I love Aubrey as an energy player off the bench, but in our two games against ranked teams, Aubrey has taken WAAAAAYYYY too many jumpers early in the shot clock. Like, she has NEVER EVER EVER taken those shots in her life at UCONN, but she is now? Odd.
4. ONO could've controlled the paint, but the early triple teaming of her just threw her off, she turned the ball over because she is a TERRIBLE passer out of double teams and she DOES NOT KEEP THE BALL ABOVE HER HEAD, EVER. She could've had 20 & 15 tonight. I shutter to think of what'll happen to her against Boston. Ouch.
5. Chirstyn is a total enigma to me. She has all the talent in the world, so I'm guessing its between her ears. That ND game her freshman year was just a lie. She bricks layups, her jumpers are WAYYYY OFF when they're off, and she can't make a FT to save her life. She makes freshman mistakes every single game.
6. Evina-love her.
7. We lost, yes, but the freshman are good, this was good experience and Paige is a STAR.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/28/21 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Westbrook and Bueckers postgame presser. E clearly thinks the defense lost the game. Pistol looks shot.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YqzqJZxCFO4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/28/21 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

You're absolutely correct:

FrozenLVFan wrote:

This is exactly how Tenn beat Ark, scoring 52 of their 88 pts in the paint. I don't see Ark going far in the SECT or past the S16 due to their size matchup issues, which is unfortunate for Dungee, because she's impressive.

Cool

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/28/21 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last thing:

I absolutely HATE these black uniforms we seem to wear at every away game against a ranked team the last 3 years. Black is 0 part of the school colors and I just don't even understand why we have them. Is that something Nike is making us do?

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 01/28/21 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Last thing:

I absolutely HATE these black uniforms we seem to wear at every away game against a ranked team the last 3 years. Black is 0 part of the school colors and I just don't even understand why we have them. Is that something Nike is making us do?

This! Lol

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/28/21 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Last thing:

This! Lol

HA! Do you hate them, too?

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/28/21 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Last thing:

My first thought was "why is UConn cosplaying as Providence?" and given tonight's results, I maintain that stance.

PostPosted: 01/28/21 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can somebody make sense of why UConn didn’t call a timeout straight away after securing the reb? Having 4 secs is better than 0.3.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 01/28/21 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
mikeyc22 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Last thing:

This! Lol

HA! Do you hate them, too?

Yes! Have hated them since they debuted against ND a few years back. Gotta stick to blue or white.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 01/28/21 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
Can somebody make sense of why UConn didn’t call a timeout straight away after securing the reb? Having 4 secs is better than 0.3.

I "think" they may have thought there was a shot clock violation, which was the case that Geno was pleading. You could tell Christyn wasn't sure as to whether she should stop and call time-out or heave a three-quarter shot.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/28/21 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:

I "think" they may have thought there was a shot clock violation, which was the case that Geno was pleading. You could tell Christyn wasn't sure as to whether she should stop and call time-out or heave a three-quarter shot.

even if there was a shot clock violation, she should have immediately called a TO. Part of the problem is UConn is not used to being in those situations so it's not high on their 'know-how-to' list. I sometimes wonder about Williams' smarts - but it's also up to the coaches to drill it in and it should have been mentioned in the TO immediately before that... I'm betting that Bueckers would have known what to do had she gotten the rebound.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: