RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big Ten Tournament

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/05/21 9:55 pm    ::: Big Ten Tournament Reply Reply with quote

Yesterday, the B1G, made an announcement that the men’s and women’s tournaments would allow 2,500 fans at the games in Indianapolis. This is quite a departure for one of the most conservative conferences during the pandemic. (The spring sports and held over fall sports are now playing conference-only seasons.)

The women’s games probably won’t reach the 12.5% capacity of the Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/05/21 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any idea if tickets are selling? I miss live games so much.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/06/21 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

I don’t know. They are being sold through each school’s ticket office.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/06/21 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big 10 Standings (thanks to Mred)

1. Maryland (17 - 1)
2. Indiana (16 - 2)
3. Rutgers (10 - 3)
4. Michigan (9 - 4)
5. N'western (11 - 7)
6. Iowa (11 - 8)
(INELIGIBLE) 7. Ohio St (9 - 7)
8. Mich St (8 - 7)
9. Nebraska (9 - 10)
10. Minnesota (7 - 11)
11. Penn St (6 - 13)
12. Purdue (4 - 14)
13. Illinois (2 - 16)
14. Wisconsin (2 - 18)

Wisconsin and Illinois open the tournament on Tuesday.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/06/21 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Poor Wisconsin was the only team to play all 20 games and ended up the final seed.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/06/21 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

1. Maryland (17 - 1)
2. Indiana (16 - 2)
3. Rutgers (10 - 3)
4. Michigan (9 - 4)
5. N'western (11 - 7)
6. Iowa (11 - Cool
8. Mich St (8 - 7)
9. Nebraska (9 - 10)
10. Minnesota (7 - 11)
11. Penn St (6 - 13)
12. Purdue (4 - 14)
13. Illinois (2 - 16)
14. Wisconsin (2 - 1Cool

Wow - I see Wisconsin is the only team that got in 20 games but still finished last.

What's the thought on Kieger at Penn State? I'm thinking it was going to take a bit to get things turned around there and she's just in her 2nd season there - is that a correct assumption?

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/06/21 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

1. Maryland (17 - 1)
2. Indiana (16 - 2)
3. Rutgers (10 - 3)
4. Michigan (9 - 4)
5. N'western (11 - 7)
6. Iowa (11 - Cool
8. Mich St (8 - 7)
9. Nebraska (9 - 10)
10. Minnesota (7 - 11)
11. Penn St (6 - 13)
12. Purdue (4 - 14)
13. Illinois (2 - 16)
14. Wisconsin (2 - 1Cool

One disclaimer on this is that teams 8-13 will all be bumped up a seed in the conference tourney due to Ohio St's ineligibility. In that sense, it's a wash whether Wisconsin had finished 13-th or 14th since they would have to play in that 12-13 game vs. Illinois either way.

Nebraska/Minnesota and MSU/PSU should be hard fought battles in the first true round. Don't see Iowa having too much trouble with Purdue, nor NW with the winner of the 12v13 game, but you never know. Maryland is obviously the heavy favorite but Indiana has been consistently very strong lately. The 3 through 6 seeds will all be tough outs too.

It's fascinating that if Iowa had lost to Nebraska tonight they could have dropped to as low as 9th in the conference...because of the craziness of going by W/L%. (However, I think Iowa held the tie-breaker over Nebraska so they actually would have been 8th?)

On one hand I want Maryland to dominate the tourney so they go into the NCAA's with monument since they are the B10's best chance at a deep run. On the other hand, I live in Indiana and would love to see them pull off the upset.

Re: Kieger at Penn St. This program is the most transformed from last season---by all accounts she's done a fantastic job I think. The record is much improved, but even some of their losses were much more closely contested that prior years.

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/07/21 7:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kieger's leading scorer, Kelly Jekot, got hurt, which was a big loss. Her top incoming recruit, Leilani Kapinus, also was hurt and missed the entire season. Those two factors probably slowed down the rebuild a little but they still showed improvement, which is a good sign.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/07/21 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Correction: Sorry. I was linked to Michigan’s ticket office via email, but it linked further to Ticketmaster. Tickets are reserved and only sold in pods of 2 or 4. They seem to be moving OK for day 3 just by comparing to what’s available for day 1.

I really want to go, but the way we enjoy the tournament is seeing multiple games per day, hanging out with our friends, going to our favorite restaurants and stores, and visiting museums or other sites of interest. All of that is too risky for me personally. It’s also my other half’s last week of work after staying healthy through the last year of full-time home improvement retail in the pandemic (at a store that didn’t refuse maskless customers for some time). We’re so close to getting vaccinated but not there yet.

If I lived close by enough to commute and go to my team’s games only, I would go.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/07/21 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Correction: Sorry. I was linked to Michigan’s ticket office via email, but it linked further to Ticketmaster. Tickets are reserved and only sold in pods of 2 or 4. They seem to be moving OK for day 3 just by comparing to what’s available for day 1.

I really want to go, but the way we enjoy the tournament is seeing multiple games per day, hanging out with our friends, going to our favorite restaurants and stores, and visiting museums or other sites of interest. All of that is too risky for me personally. It’s also my other half’s last week of work after staying healthy through the last year of full-time home improvement retail in the pandemic (at a store that didn’t refuse maskless customers for some time). We’re so close to getting vaccinated but not there yet.

If I lived close by enough to commute and go to my team’s games only, I would go.

I feel you! I just live an hour from Indy. Just got a ticket for my team's first session Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: