RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#5 South Carolina @ #10 Kentucky - 1/10/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/10/21 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
The Patriot League went beyond that in scheduling. They cancelled their OOC schedules, then divided the 10-team league into 3 mini-conferences with 4-3-3 teams. Each team plays 4 games (2 at each site on Sat/Sun) with each of the other teams in their mini-conf, then enough games are added with other teams to get to 16 games total. Since they've already had games postponed, I'm not sure how this is going to work.

Can someone explain to me how 4-0 BU, who's played 1-3 Colgate and 2-2 Holy Cross, has the #1 RPI and #1 SOS ?

I think its a case that's usually with all teams when a normal season begins: when they've only played 2-4 games, their RPI jumps all over the place. Once more games gets played, the RPI rankings settle down.

In the Patriot League's case, they've only played against themselves, so the RPI formula for them doesn't include opponents' opponent win-loss records, and that's screwing up the math. If they had played against some OOC teams - perhaps some OOC teams that have played more games than just 3-4 - that may have helped settle down the Patriot League's RPI, but they didn't....

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/11/21 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Can someone explain to me how 4-0 BU, who's played 1-3 Colgate and 2-2 Holy Cross, has the #1 RPI and #1 SOS ?

You know darn well, FrozenLVF, that RPI/SOS is a mathematical "science" used by basketball "experts" to "model" reality. Ergo, following expert science, BU must be the best team in basketball.

QED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: