RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Mavericks no longer playing the National Anthem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/09/21 10:42 pm    ::: Dallas Mavericks no longer playing the National Anthem Reply Reply with quote

Although this isn't about the WNBA, it certainly could become relevant to the WNBA in the future:

https://nypost.com/2021/02/09/mark-cubans-mavericks-wont-play-national-anthem-anymore/

PostPosted: 02/10/21 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great move. I personally don’t think the national anthem should be sung/played before games. It’s fine during medal ceremonies at international sporting events like the olympics. When was the last time a televised regular season game showed the national anthem being performed? All Star games don’t count. It would be great if teams opened with their own team or fight song.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/10/21 2:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
Great move. I personally don’t think the national anthem should be sung/played before games. It’s fine during medal ceremonies at international sporting events like the olympics. When was the last time a televised regular season game showed the national anthem being performed? All Star games don’t count. It would be great if teams opened with their own team or fight song.

It says a lot about the political role of sports in our culture that it is viewed as essential to play the National Anthem before so many professional and amateur sporting events. Yet this isn't true--certainly it isn't widely true in the U.S.--before we see movies, plays, concerts, or dance performances.

PostPosted: 02/10/21 2:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:

+1 to all of this. This is the year for #CancelCulture to come for the National Anthem – especially in the WNBA. Very Happy

The full version of the Star-Spangled Banner, as some of us may already know, has racist lyrics (or at the very least racist energy in it) anyway.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/10/21 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They haven't done so all season. It just took a couple of months for anyone to notice.

PostPosted: 02/10/21 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
They haven't done so all season. It just took a couple of months for anyone to notice.

Or care.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/10/21 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great move ... listening to the anthem before high school games drives me crazy. (As a sportswriter for a long time, I got really, really sick of the anthem really, really early. And it's pointless ...)

PostPosted: 02/10/21 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:

Playing the National Anthem before league games, between club teams, that all play in the same country, is one of the Top Three most asinine sports "traditions" of my lifetime. And it ain't #3.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Davis4632

PostPosted: 02/10/21 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Adam Silver says not so fast for the rest of the NBA teams when it comes not playing the National Anthem.
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1359576635247267846?s=20

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 02/10/21 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
Adam Silver says not so fast for the rest of the NBA teams when it comes not playing the National Anthem.
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1359576635247267846?s=20

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/10/21 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

+1 Silky, that move is baby soft for the NBA. Rolling Eyes

@ Cathy Engelbert: assuming you're watching this play out, know your League & know your audience when the time comes...

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/10/21 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I vote that if the national anthem must be played before games, that all personnel present must be acknowledged by the playing of their country's national anthem as well. Let's crank the absurdity of this to eleven. Maybe after a game gets delayed half an hour because someone brought a seven nation army, they'd see sense.

PostPosted: 02/10/21 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I vote that if the national anthem must be played before games, that all personnel present must be acknowledged by the playing of their country's national anthem as well. Let's crank the absurdity of this to eleven. Maybe after a game gets delayed half an hour because someone brought a seven nation army, they'd see sense.

Our local Minor League Hockey team routinely played the Canadian NA in any game where Canadian players were present (which was about every game.) I'm not sure if they do that in the NHL.

My take is there is a reason fans all cheer when the NA is over and it's not because the performance is always great, or even good.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/10/21 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
My take is there is a reason fans all cheer when the NA is over and it's not because the performance is always great, or even good.

I have a friend who's sung the National Anthem at sporting events. It's a hard song to sing well. So in addition to all the other important reasons to get rid of it, it's often excruciating to hear.

It's not just that the Star Spangled Banner shouldn't be sung at sporting events. If we're going to have a National Anthem, it should NOT be that song with all its racist entanglements. (And if we move to a better National Anthem, it still shouldn't be sung at sporting events.)

PostPosted: 02/10/21 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not putting down the performers - just pointing out the fans want to get on with the game, and we've all heard it dozens of times. The best version I ever heard at a game was a Sax player at a Dream game.

Performing the NA was the zenith of my music career. I was in 7th grade and played it on my trumpet at a track meet. Smile

pilight

PostPosted: 02/10/21 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I have a friend who's sung the National Anthem at sporting events. It's a hard song to sing well. So in addition to all the other important reasons to get rid of it, it's often excruciating to hear.

My favorite anthem performances at Dream games have always been when they have L-Stringz come and play it on her violin.

PostPosted: 02/10/21 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
My favorite anthem performances at Dream games have always been when they have L-Stringz come and play it on her violin.

Makes sense.

I wasn't intending to put down the performers, though I've heard some horrible singers present the Star-Spangled Banner. But it's a genuinely hard song to sing well.

PostPosted: 02/11/21 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Here's a video sample from 2015...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUXGwdB4pTc

...and one from 2018:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_NzetAeLcg

PostPosted: 02/11/21 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
pilight wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Here's a video sample from 2015...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUXGwdB4pTc

...and one from 2018:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_NzetAeLcg

Thanks, Steven (and pilight). These videos are both lovely. And how great that the Dream honored Juneteenth at a game!

Nevertheless, I'd prefer (1) that the Star Spangled Banner never be played again anywhere; (2) that the U.S. get a new National Anthem or have none at all; and (3) that no National Anthem ever be performed at a sporting event.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: