RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What's next for the Dream after Loeffler's Senate loss?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Loeffler still be a Dream co-owner by the time the 2021 season starts up?
Yes
38%
 38%  [ 12 ]
No
61%
 61%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 31

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/06/21 3:55 am    ::: What's next for the Dream after Loeffler's Senate loss? Reply Reply with quote

Now that Kelly Loeffler has lost (or, 'will lose') re-election, what's next for her & the Atlanta Dream?

If she chooses not to step down – or doesn't get immediately ousted by the League – could the players take a(nother) stand and refuse to play until they see her gone?

Does she bother trying to save face & reconcile with the very players that helped empower her opponent to overtake her?

(Or,) Will she choose to further (what's left of) her political career?

Is it at all possible for her to both continue owning the Dream and continue her political career?

If you predict she either steps down or gets ousted by the League, do you think a whole new ownership group will then buy the team? If so, who?

And what do you want to see happen? Do you think Loeffler should stay on as a Dream co-owner or not? Hell, do you want the team sold and/or relocated out of Atlanta?

As far as we know, everything may or may not be on the table right now, now that this all has transpired.

Last edited by Stormeo on 01/06/21 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/06/21 4:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
LeBron Wants To Start An Ownership Group To Buy The Atlanta Dream After Kelly Loeffler Lost Her Senate Race
After Rev. Raphael Warnock became projected to beast Kelly Loeffler for a U.S. Senate seat in Georgia, James chimed in.
Read in UPROXX: https://uproxx.com/dimemag/lebron-james-ownership-group-atlanta-dream-kelly-loeffler-raphael-warnock/

Oop! Very Happy Is an ownership group of a WNBA team something he could be a part of as an active NBA player without it being any sort of conflict of interest? I hope so! Also wouldn't mind seeing others come together and have there be competing prospective groups...

Randy

PostPosted: 01/06/21 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see it being a conflict of interest.

Kelly's been cancelled by the players, the voters, and a lot Republicans (including Trump) did not want her as their Senate candidate in the first place. Her days in politics seem to be over. I'd think she'd want out of the spotlight now so selling the team might make sense, if there are any possible owners out there.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/06/21 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
LeBron Wants To Start An Ownership Group To Buy The Atlanta Dream After Kelly Loeffler Lost Her Senate Race
After Rev. Raphael Warnock became projected to beast Kelly Loeffler for a U.S. Senate seat in Georgia, James chimed in.
Read in UPROXX: https://uproxx.com/dimemag/lebron-james-ownership-group-atlanta-dream-kelly-loeffler-raphael-warnock/

Oop! Very Happy Is an ownership group of a WNBA team something he could be a part of as an active NBA player without it being any sort of conflict of interest? I hope so! Also wouldn't mind seeing others come together and have there be competing prospective groups...

It might be. To me, the ideal scenario would be for him to pull together an investment group for the Dream, but not be part of it... so that when he retires he can head back to his hometown and reincarnate the Cleveland Rockers.

PostPosted: 01/06/21 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm thinking that she will either decide to sell or the decision might be made for her.

I'm wondering if the team will take the floor if she's still an owner. They seem to feel pretty strongly about not having her around.

What does Mary Brock think of Kelly and what her toxicity is doing to HER investment? Would she be able to push her out?

*I went to the team wiki page to see who the other owner is and it's already been updated to refer to KL as "outgoing senator." Someone isn't wasting any time!!!!! Smile

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/06/21 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
I went to the team wiki page to see who the other owner is and it's already been updated to refer to KL as "outgoing senator." Someone isn't wasting any time!!!!! Smile

LOL. Thanks for this great report. "Outgoing senator" already! How wonderful! I wish they'd written "Outgoing senator and hopefully outgoing co-owner."

PostPosted: 01/06/21 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
I'm thinking that she will either decide to sell or the decision might be made for her.

I'm wondering if the team will take the floor if she's still an owner. They seem to feel pretty strongly about not having her around.

What does Mary Brock think of Kelly and what her toxicity is doing to HER investment? Would she be able to push her out?

*I went to the team wiki page to see who the other owner is and it's already been updated to refer to KL as "outgoing senator." Someone isn't wasting any time!!!!! Smile

I've heard/read nothing about Brock's politics. She has also been a loyal supporter of the team since about 2009. She may still be interested in keeping her share and her politics may not be the same as Loeffler's. ASFIK Brock has said nothing in public about Loeffler's Senate race and I don't think she has ever even endorsed her.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/06/21 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Kelly's been cancelled by the players, the voters, and a lot Republicans (including Trump) did not want her as their Senate candidate in the first place. Her days in politics seem to be over. I'd think she'd want out of the spotlight now so selling the team might make sense, if there are any possible owners out there.

I still think that if she fades into the background and stops yelling bullshit into a microphone, most people will go back to ignoring her. It may not be for us, but generally speaking owning a WNBA team is being out of the spotlight. Most people don't really care who owns the teams they follow, and it being the WNBA rather than a bigger league takes it another step into obscurity.

Even when everything was going on last year the players carried on playing for the Dream (and never really seemed to threaten to stop due to Loeffler), so that doesn't look like it's going to happen. And I'm tired of these NBA players saying they're going to buy a team. History says that LeBron is a bit better than the average at following through on his statements, but he's hardly the first to 'express an interest'. Remember Baron Davis, among others? I think they're probably interested until someone shows them the numbers and they see what a terrible investment it is unless you're doing it for the PR.

So yeah, if I had to bet on who owns Loeffler's interest in the Dream this time next year, my money would be on Loeffler...

PostPosted: 01/06/21 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No way to know yet if the Dream and other WNBA teams will be playing games in their home arenas this season. Or if fans will be allowed to watch any such games. I'm not optimistic. But here's my fantasy. The Dream play a home opener in Atlanta, lots of fans are there, and the event is dedicated to WE BEAT KELLY with speeches and lots of celebration. Smile

PostPosted: 01/06/21 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
No way to know yet if the Dream and other WNBA teams will be playing games in their home arenas this season. Or if fans will be allowed to watch any such games. I'm not optimistic. But here's my fantasy. The Dream play a home opener in Atlanta, lots of fans are there, and the event is dedicated to WE BEAT KELLY with speeches and lots of celebration. Smile

Dream are already selling season tickets. So they seem to think they will be playing - question is whether there will be any fans in the seats. Richyyy is right about fans not caring much about owners, but in this case she was TV every day for a year spewing her bigotry which is likely to take a while to forget for the Dream fan base. It's not like they had many actual fans before all this. Games I went to in the last few seasons had at most several hundred, not several thousand fans in seats.

Interesting article.

https://www.aol.com/sports/sports-world-appreciates-wnba-warnock-150907400.html

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/06/21 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KL just spoke prior to the electoral college vote. She said that this morning she was going to protest the election but has changed her mind. She got a lot of applause for her statements. So far nobody else has be applauded.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
tfan

PostPosted: 01/07/21 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Dream are already selling season tickets. So they seem to think they will be playing - question is whether there will be any fans in the seats. Richyyy is right about fans not caring much about owners, but in this case she was on TV every day for a year spewing her bigotry which is likely to take a while to forget for the Dream fan base. It's not like they had many actual fans before all this. Games I went to in the last few seasons had at most several hundred, not several thousand fans in seats.

How would you characterize the bigotry she displayed?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/07/21 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington Post article about the WNBA, Warnock, and Loeffler. (Warning: I believe there's a paywall, but I don't know if nonsubscribers get to see an occasional article.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-a-wnba-assist-helped-raphael-warnock-win-a-senate-seat/2021/01/06/59368f8c-5067-11eb-bda4-615aaefd0555_story.html

PostPosted: 01/07/21 1:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Washington Post article about the WNBA, Warnock, and Loeffler. (Warning: I believe there's a paywall, but I don't know if nonsubscribers get to see an occasional article.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-a-wnba-assist-helped-raphael-warnock-win-a-senate-seat/2021/01/06/59368f8c-5067-11eb-bda4-615aaefd0555_story.html

I was able to view the article. It's truly understated just how deliberate the players were leading up to the moment when they first broke out the Vote Warnock shirts together.

Also, I never really realized how much Blake Dietrick sorta looks like she could be related to Loeffler... Embarassed

Anyway, if the W really wanted to make a splash, they'd remove Loeffler as an owner, say, sometime next week (in between the craziness of this week and Biden Inauguration week, thereby keeping the press engine going leading up to free agency). That would then put real pressure on prospective owners out there that have recently expressed even the most casual of interest in owning the Dream to get their shit together & get the ball rollin'. It would also put the Dream in a better place to not crash & burn during free agency – otherwise, the concern for players to want/stay out of Atlanta will absolutely persist.

At the same time, I unfortunately have to wonder if the time to remove her as an owner has come & gone? She hasn't been and won't be as noisy moving forward as she was a few months ago – or at the very least since she took that picture with that Klansman a few weeks ago.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/07/21 4:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
I was able to view the article. It's truly understated just how deliberate the players were leading up to the moment when they first broke out the Vote Warnock shirts together.

As is clear in that article and others, the WNBA players chose Rev. Warnock as their candidate at a time when it wasn't at all clear that he'd get enough votes in the initial special election to get into the runoff. Surely the first time in the history of sports in the U.S. that a professional league was so important in the election of a U.S. senator. And against one of the league's owners! How sweet this must be for the players, especially those who made the initial push to endorse a candidate and to choose Warnock. I am in awe of them.

PostPosted: 01/07/21 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That one senate seat turned out to be kinda important huh.
What an incredible story for the WNBA.
Even as a distant foreign fan I feel a lot of pride in what has occurred. I can only imagine the feeling amongst the Dream players who put so much on the line in taking that stand.

PostPosted: 01/07/21 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Randy wrote:

Dream are already selling season tickets. So they seem to think they will be playing - question is whether there will be any fans in the seats. Richyyy is right about fans not caring much about owners, but in this case she was on TV every day for a year spewing her bigotry which is likely to take a while to forget for the Dream fan base. It's not like they had many actual fans before all this. Games I went to in the last few seasons had at most several hundred, not several thousand fans in seats.

You can probably still find her campaign ads on Youtube, or her webpage and decide for yourself.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/08/21 2:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Loeffler concedes to Warnock in Georgia runoff

Quote:
Georgia Sen. Kelly Loeffler, the Republican incumbent, conceded her Senate runoff to Democratic Sen.-elect Raphael Warnock on Thursday -- two days after Election Day and CNN and after several other news organizations projected Warnock the winner.

Loeffler thanked her supporters in a video and said she had called Warnock to offer her congratulations. She also promised that she would still be politically active.
"I fully intend to stay in this fight for freedom, for our values and for the future of this great country," Loeffler said. ...

Loeffler did initially object to the Electoral College results, before violence and chaos descended on the US Capitol after supporters of President Donald Trump stormed the building. After the Senate reconvened, she changed her position and said she would no longer object to the presidential election results in her state.

I don't exactly know how she's defining 'politically active' here, though I'm very skeptical of her running for office again. Even though Warnock will have to run for re-election in two years, there will arise Republican opposition candidates more popular than Loeffler and she will be quickly overtaken in any primary should she run.

Still, I'd choose to take that sentiment from her at pure face value if I were the WNBA decision-makers. If she is indeed promising that her messages & actions will continue beyond her Election loss (and makes good on it), it will not go over well with anyone – from the players to the media & other owners – come the season's arrival. I envision sit-outs and protests, and mass losses of the financial and societal variety. The League ought to kick Loeffler out now before it finds itself in a sticky situation it had many opportunities to avoid.

Last edited by Stormeo on 01/08/21 2:49 am; edited 2 times in total
tfan

PostPosted: 01/08/21 2:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
tfan wrote:
Randy wrote:

You can probably still find her campaign ads on Youtube, or her webpage and decide for yourself.

I was interested in your opinion. I wasn't certain if you were saying she displayed bigotry towards black people or with regard to specific issues.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/08/21 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Article about the importance of WNBA players in Raphael Warnock's successful Senate candidacy:

https://www.thenation.com/article/society/wnba-kelly-loeffler/

PostPosted: 01/08/21 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan - her ads had little do with specific issues - they were mainly character assassination of whoever was running against her. She attacked Collins as because he was a defense attorney who helped criminals (and the alleged clients shown looked Hispanic). She also showed a picture of Collins in selfie with Stacy Abrams - saying he was friends with her. As for Warnock he was claimed to be a communist, a Marxist, a radical's radical, who was hostile to America, the police and the military. She claimed she had win the election to save America and and preserve our freedom or Warnock would join the radical extemist liberals Pelosi, Shumer and AOC) to take away our freedoms. Since the fan base is likely comprised of liberal leaning people, doesn't seem helpful to drawing fans in a metro area that went heavily democrat, and where she garnered very few votes. There was of course, also her comments opposing BLM, mob rule, etc which didn't go down well with many people regardless of race.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/09/21 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Badger_Ball wrote:
Maybe the idea is gaining steam?!

I imagine it would lead to relocation.

https://lakersdaily.com/golden-state-warriors-board-member-pitches-buy-wnba-team-with-lebron-james/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

If relocation is next, somehow I don't think it'd come from an ownership group led by LeBron James. It may not be a big fanbase, but moving the team would be a big slap in the face to the fans who supported the activism the Dream players were doing last summer. Would another group with more of a corporate face do it? Perhaps. But this is the time for an honest attempt to make the Dream work in Atlanta imo.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/09/21 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, let's reward the Georgians who heeded the players call to vote for Warnock by taking their team and moving it to the other side of the country. That makes perfect sense.

PostPosted: 01/09/21 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Yes, let's reward the Georgians who heeded the players call to vote for Warnock by taking their team and moving it to the other side of the country. That makes perfect sense.

I like how you think, but they are also same Georgians who didn't show for games that well in the past. Would be great if Warnock would show up at one of the games and say hello to the fans.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/09/21 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:

I like how you think, but they are also same Georgians who didn't show for games that well in the past. Would be great if Warnock would show up at one of the games and say hello to the fans.

Whether or not Loeffler is still a co-owner when the 2021 WNBA season begins... if the Dream have home games in Atlanta that fans can attend, Warnock and Ossoff should show up together at the home opener and find a way to thank the Dream players, all WNBA players, and the Dream fans. Perhaps Stacey Abrams could join them as she begins her 2022 run for governor of Georgia!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: