RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2022/2023 Draft !
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/04/21 8:29 pm    ::: 2022/2023 Draft ! Reply Reply with quote

I know this post is a bit premature , but looking at all the talented sophomores in this class it will be hard to decide who #1 will be.

Aaliyah Boston
Haley Jones
Ashley Owusu
Diamond Miller
Fran Belibi
Aubrey Griffin
Sam Brunelle
Rickea Jackson
Jordan Horston
Zia Cooke
Jakia Brown-Turner
Kierstan Bell
Elizabeth Kitley

If I’m forgetting anyone please feel free to add. This will be a very deep draft IMO, 2022 doesn’t look to shabby neither now that Howard has confirmed she will stay.

Rhyne Howard
Nalyssa Smith
Queen Egbo
Christyn Williams
ONO
Rae Burrell
Mimi Collins
Elizabeth Balgoun & Dixon
Sedona Prince
Leticia Amihere
Victoria Saxton
Jaz Massengill
Destini Henderson
Shakira Austin
Jessika Carter
Elissa Cunane
Ashley Joens
Naz Hillmon
Lexie Hull
Taylor Mikesell
Evina Westbrook

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 01/05/21 9:46 am; edited 2 times in total
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/04/21 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2022: Elissa Cunane, Ashley Joens and Naz Hillmon for sure. Those three are Top 10. Also Lexie Hull, Taylor Mikesell, Evina Westbrook, Shakira Austin and Jessika Carter shoould all be in the conversation. (Saxton from your list is also a 22)

2023: Jakia Brown-Turner, Charisma Osborne, Kierstan Bell, Elizabeth Kitley, and Ayoka Lee. Horston for me hasn't nearly lived up to her hype, but its a long time from now.

But yeah, once we get through the epic dumpster fire that the 2021 draft is going to be, the next three drafts are all really good.

Last edited by PickledGinger on 04/04/21 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/05/21 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
2022: Elissa Cunane, Ashley Joens and Naz Hillmon for sure. Those three are Top 10. Also Lexie Hull, Taylor Mikesell, Evina Westbrook, Shakira Austin and Jessika Carter shoould all be in the conversation. (Saxton from your list is also a 22)

2023: Jakia Brown-Turner, Charisma Osborne, Kierstan Bell, Elizabeth Kitley, and Ayoka Lee. Horston for me hasn't nearly lived up to her hype, for me, but its a long time from now.

But yeah, once we get through the epic dumpster fire that the 2021 draft is going to be, the next three drafts are all really good.

These are 2 that i cannot believe i forgot . With a lackluster draft this year the next 3 YEARS should be revolutionary for the W.

How do you feel about Missouri's Ajha Blackwell ?

Heck now that i think of it lets not forget to Mention 2024

Bueckers
HVL
Angel Reese
Pao Pao
Aaliyah Edwards
Caitlin Clark
Maddy Westbeld
Deja Kelly
Camilla Cardosa
Cameron Brink
Hannah Gusters
Sara Andrews

PostPosted: 01/05/21 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’ll be interesting to see how much the extra year of eligibility throws a wrench into projecting the next four drafts. A lot of these prospects are typically on title-contending teams – what wins out, the need to start their professional careers, or their desires to title-chase? No bad choice imo.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/05/21 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
It’ll be interesting to see how much the extra year of eligibility throws a wrench into projecting the next four drafts. A lot of these prospects are typically on title-contending teams – what wins out, the need to start their professional careers, or their desires to title-chase? No bad choice imo.

I think players who have an outside shot of being a 1st Rounder may decide to use that extra year. I cant see possible lottery picks or picks 1-8 not taking the money and running Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 01/05/21 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I think players who have an outside shot of being a 1st Rounder may decide to use that extra year. I cant see possible lottery picks or picks 1-8 not taking the money and running Laughing Laughing

Agree. Though I think at least one player at some point will be a surprise returnee to school. Let’s hope it ain’t a projected lottery pick! 🤦🏻‍♂️

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/05/21 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't forget the European money (if it's still there).

So your career will end when it ends -- you can't control that.

But you can control when you start generating income, and by staying in school an extra year, you cost yourself WNBA money and European money, which together would exceed $100,000. And you will never get that $100,000 back (upping your WNBA draft position might add $20,000 or so but if you blow out a knee, you may wind up with nothing).

For some, $100,000 may not be a lot of money. For others, though, it's crucial ...

And as we've discussed here before, I would have traded my senior year in college for $100,000 without hesitation.

PostPosted: 01/05/21 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So your career will end when it ends -- you can't control that.

Some can't, but a lot of players stop playing overseas when they're sick of it, rather than when they're not good enough any more. And a lot of the lower-end players need impressive college production in order to draw an agent or overseas teams into noticing them. So I think it's rarely the straight swap of an unpaid year of your life in college vs a paid year of playing basketball that you make it out to be.

PostPosted: 01/05/21 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do wonder how much of an effect a year-plus of varying levels of isolation will have on the desire to go overseas. Setting aside the ability to travel, how many players will want to go to countries where they don't speak the language and don't know anyone? On the other hand, how many players will be like, "welp, it's not like never seeing my family and friends is a new thing"?

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 01/05/21 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
And as we've discussed here before, I would have traded my senior year in college for $100,000 without hesitation.

I probably would have when I was in school. I wouldn't make that trade knowing what I know now.

PostPosted: 01/05/21 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also affecting the decision this year, is if people actually like the 2022 class, how low could someone who might go top-3 in 2021 fall the next year? If you're #2 in 2021 but would go #11 in 2022, then that could make a big difference to your earnings. It raises your immediate profile overseas, and just makes you less likely to be cut if a team has spent a high pick on you, whether you're actually any good or not.

PostPosted: 01/05/21 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was mentioned the other day that Michaela Onyenwere is considering returning to UCLA next year because she wants a master’s degree. I wouldn’t be surprised to see other players who want a master’s degree return school when they will also be in a position to compete for a conference and/or national championship or Final Four.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/06/21 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Also affecting the decision this year, is if people actually like the 2022 class, how low could someone who might go top-3 in 2021 fall the next year? If you're #2 in 2021 but would go #11 in 2022, then that could make a big difference to your earnings. It raises your immediate profile overseas, and just makes you less likely to be cut if a team has spent a high pick on you, whether you're actually any good or not.

It's a complex equation, no doubt. But there are risks involved in staying in school, just as there are advantages to staying.

I'm not claiming my scenario is the only one, or the best course for all players, but I also think a lot of players are going to look at the money they might leave on the table if they stay -- especially if they don't enjoy taking classes and writing papers.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Still premature but there sure is some talent in next years draft. Any idea of whom could be an early declarer ? Sophmores this year ?

PostPosted: 04/05/21 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I don't see any of elite college players using the extra year, honestly. I bet this senior class staying for an extra year will have the highest number. I mean, we're already seeing the best seniors moving on.

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/05/21 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't forget Brea Beal out of 2023 class

PostPosted: 04/05/21 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I don't see any of elite college players using the extra year, honestly. I bet this senior class staying for an extra year will have the highest number. I mean, we're already seeing the best seniors moving on.

Evina Westbrook is staying for another year , I'm not sure that will help her in next years draft. She would have been a higher pick this year IMO.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:

And Dorka Juhasz. (She would be a senior next year but her transfer statement indicated she wants to use her extra year of eligibility.)

davisballer5

PostPosted: 04/05/21 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Nyara Sabally can stay healthy and Jordan Nixon can gain some momentum from her tourney run I would include both of them.

blaase22

PostPosted: 04/05/21 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

And Dorka Juhasz. (She would be a senior next year but her transfer statement indicated she wants to use her extra year of eligibility.)

She just followed Uconn Rolling Eyes

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/05/21 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

She just followed Uconn Rolling Eyes

Dorka, noooooooooo! Good detective work, though Wink

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/05/21 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

davisballer5 wrote:
If Nyara Sabally can stay healthy and Jordan Nixon can gain some momentum from her tourney run I would include both of them.

Definitely , she upped her stock in this NCAA tourney more than anyone not named Aari in my opinion.

PostPosted: 04/08/22 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
The trade from Washington to Atlanta is not so much about this year's Draft candidates, i.e., Howard, Smith, Austin. It's about getting a shot at BOSTON.

The name of the game now in the WNBA is to get BOSTON. It's the same scenario for each and every WNBA team. It's no different than when Griner became eligible.

BOSTON IS THE DOMINANT FRANCHISE PLAYER who will make your team a top contender for well over a decade. The top three choices this year will not bring with them this guarantee.

Everything from now on in the WNBA will be about "How can I get BOSTON!

Boston is good, but she is not anywhere close to a Griner. She will be a starter at the W level, but not an immediate superstar.

Moving this to this thread, that I remembered existed. Razz

But anyway, myrtle, you don't think Boston as a pro will be at least as good as A'ja Wilson, who was pretty much a rookie superstar when she entered the League?

At 6-5, Boston isn't gonna have the level of impact Griner at 6-9 has, but Boston honestly could be better than Wilson – especially since Boston already shoots 3s.

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/08/22 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boston is better than Wilson was as a Jr. What will she look like or add to her game in the offseason for her Sr campaign?

Kid's a beast. After her 1st game as a freshman, I said that this kid will be the #1 pick in the draft.

side note: She's been shooting 3s since her freshman season.

PostPosted: 04/08/22 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Am I the only one who has love for Chloe Bibby?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: