someone else
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 40

pilight

PostPosted: 05/17/21 7:33 am    ::: ROY Reply Reply with quote

Monday Poll time!

PostPosted: 05/17/21 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What kind of dance will Michaela's grandma do if she were to win the ROY award?😂

PostPosted: 05/17/21 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will Onyenwere keep getting the same minutes now that Allen is back?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Cooper2009

PostPosted: 05/17/21 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
What kind of dance will Michaela's grandma do if she were to win the ROY award?😂

Someone please make sure that if she does, we have a video of the moment LOL 🖤🖤 I love to see it!

PostPosted: 05/17/21 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Allen was back for the last game without affecting Onyenwere's minutes.

PostPosted: 05/17/21 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:

She only played 3 min less, but will it stay that way is the question. Once Allen gets her bearings, she should probably be the starter. Hard to gauge too much at this point.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/17/21 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:

She only played 3 min less, but will it stay that way is the question. Once Allen gets her bearings, she should probably be the starter. Hard to gauge too much at this point.

Hopkins said that minutes will be difficult to decide for a lot of players. He said it would be based on match-ups and who has the hot hand.

PostPosted: 05/17/21 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:

Hopkins said that minutes will be difficult to decide for a lot of players. He said it would be based on match-ups and who has the hot hand.

Thus far, that has definitely been Onyenwere. Her ability to make 3PT shots has surprised me quite a bit, and if she continues to make whatever shots she takes (still a very big "if" imo), I'm guessing Hop just leaves her in that starting lineup, even if Allen starts to come on strong off the bench.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/17/21 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Once Allen gets her bearings, she should probably be the starter

Why? Allen has played four seasons and change for New York and never shown herself to be starting quality.

PostPosted: 05/17/21 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
Once Allen gets her bearings, she should probably be the starter

Why? Allen has played four seasons and change for New York and never shown herself to be starting quality.

That was the gameplan coming into this season.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/17/21 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The position usage for Onyenwere's going to be interesting once Stokes/Howard are available. Does she stay mostly a 4, or start getting meaningful minutes as a 3? Might not be as much difference in NY's system as with some teams, but there are generally still two identifiable 'bigs' on the defensive end.

PostPosted: 05/17/21 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd guess that for some games the starting front line will be Laney, Stokes, and Howard. For other games it'll be Laney, Onyenwere, and Howard. I see Allen as coming off the bench either way.

PostPosted: 05/17/21 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I'd guess that for some games the starting front line will be Laney, Stokes, and Howard. For other games it'll be Laney, Onyenwere, and Howard. I see Allen as coming off the bench either way.

They can easily move Laney to the two as well...letting Allen and Whitcomb come off the bench would make for a nice scoring punch.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/17/21 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

They can easily move Laney to the two as well...letting Allen and Whitcomb come off the bench would make for a nice scoring punch.

The Australian bench mob.

PostPosted: 05/17/21 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

You’re proving Hopkins right. He called Whitcomb their biggest “unsung hero”. You want to unsung her right to the bench.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 05/17/21 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

You’re proving Hopkins right. He called Whitcomb their biggest “unsung hero”. You want to unsung her right to the bench.

Lol

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/17/21 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will just keep saying, again and again: it baffles me how some basketball fans are SO focused on who the starters are and who comes off the bench. For me, these two things are far more crucial: the amount of minutes each player gets and, above all, who's on the court in the last five minutes of close games.

PostPosted: 05/17/21 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

she would still get lots of minutes. And as he says, it will depend on the opponent and matchups.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/17/21 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
she would still get lots of minutes. And as he says, it will depend on the opponent and matchups.

I completely agree. Which is why, in my view, the issue of whether Whitcomb starts--or comes off the bench--is of minimal importance. She will be a valuable asset on this team.

PostPosted: 05/17/21 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

The leadership skills are more useful on the court.

Onyenwere would get decent minutes off the bench as well.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/17/21 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I will just keep saying, again and again: it baffles me how some basketball fans are SO focused on who the starters are and who comes off the bench. For me, these two things are far more crucial: the amount of minutes each player gets and, above all, who's on the court in the last five minutes of close games.

True. It's all about PT. Playing Time.

PostPosted: 05/17/21 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

The leadership skills are more useful on the court.

Onyenwere would get decent minutes off the bench as well.

I give Hopkins credit for showing great flexibility. At the end of Friday's game, when he needed defense he used Didi and Jones instead of Ionescu and Whitcomb. He also replaced Onyenwere with Gray to give him conventional size. Walt has said the team is full of good defenders, but that Laney, Jones, and Richards are a cut above the rest. So, that's who he used. Walt also takes the ballhandling away from Sabrina when she gets too aggressive or sloppy. Interestingly, he's been using Laney and Jones instead of Clarendon. Hopkins doesn't seem to be sparing anybody's feelings. He just does what needs to be done.

On Friday, Walt did freak me out when he put Reshanda Gray on the court for that final offensive possession. In retrospect, I guess he wanted another big body for screening purposes or maybe a putback.

PostPosted: 05/17/21 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

+1 Bob

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/17/21 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

+1 Bob

Thanks, RavenDog (and earlier) Rock Hard.

PostPosted: 05/17/21 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so what have we got 200 total minutes

30 Ionescu
30 Howard
30 Laney
20 Onyenwere
20 Stokes
20 Whitcomb
20 Jones
15 Richards
15 Allen

We can figure out how to work in Clarendon later as something seems off ATM
If when Allen steps up she can eat into someone else's minutes at that time
Odom ends up getting cut along with Gray When Stokes and Howard return

(Unless we decide to cut Willoughby since she gets paid no matter what, won't get picked up off waivers because she is out all season and Guarantee her to return at her same rate next season. However I could see them keeping Willoughby and using Odom's money towards replacement player if their are future injuries, and already being down one because of Willoughby get them closer to hardship status).

Last edited by J-Spoon on 05/17/21 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: