RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

VACCINATION NATION
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will You Be Getting the Coronavirus Vaccine?
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
Hell to the Yeah
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Throw a dart and aim for my ass, yes
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Use a blowgun and hit me in the neck as I drive by the ER
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
No, personal health reasons
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
No, I don't trust/believe in it.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/07/21 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a pretty good researcher, but I can't figure out how, where or when individuals can get vaccine shots in Connecticut. Here is what the official CT government website says:

Quote:
How to get access to a vaccination

The State is actively working on this process in combination with employers and providers. Those in critical workforce should stay in communication with their employers, and those in congregate settings should stay in communication with their facility leadership.

Other populations should remain in close contact with their medical providers as more detailed plans are released.

In my home we have no employers or facility leaderships, and our medical providers (doctors and pharmacies) don't have the vaccine, don't know when they'll get it, and don't know how they will distribute it.

Lots of category 1a people, now eligible for vaccine, are reportedly refusing around here. I'm not sure I would take the shot if I were under 40, because the fatality rate under that age is very small, plus I think the side-effect data are too preliminary and uncertain and are not being fully reported. I didn't get a flu shot until I reached 70, a danger age.

Compare this flub-a-dub Covid vaccine rollout to the 1947 New York City smallpox vaccination campaign.

Quote:

On April 4, [after three cases of smallpox were reported,] Israel Weinstein, the New York City Health Commissioner, urged all New Yorkers who had not been vaccinated since childhood to receive another vaccination.

. . . on April 13, after a second person died from [smallpox,] Mayor William O’Dwyer urged all 7.8 million New York residents to receive the vaccine . . . . The city swiftly swung into full crisis mode. Police, fire, and health departments, and hospitals were mobilized to provide additional space for the effort.

. . . . On April 21, a grand total of 3.45 million recipients were reported; the next day, after noting that only 200,000 additional persons had received vaccine, the total became 4.4 million.

The number of vaccinations ranges from about 2.5 million to 5 million, but in any event this was a tremendously successful vaccination campaign in just three weeks.

I don't remember it, but I did get vaccinated for smallpox. I do have a vivid memory of everyone in my grade school standing in line to get the polio vaccine shot from the school nurse around 1955. Polio, otherwise known as infantile paralysis, was a virus cruelly focused on the young.
tfan

PostPosted: 01/07/21 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People need to be told that this (at least the first two versions) vaccine is not a dead or neutered version of the virus, but just something that mimics a piece of it. And I think it only mimics the shape.

I saw an article that said that they are moving slowly enough on getting the vaccine in people's arms that some of it may expire and have to be thrown out.

Last edited by tfan on 01/07/21 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/07/21 1:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I'm a pretty good researcher, but I can't figure out how, where or when individuals can get vaccine shots in Connecticut. Here is what the official CT government website says:

Quote:
How to get access to a vaccination

The State is actively working on this process in combination with employers and providers. Those in critical workforce should stay in communication with their employers, and those in congregate settings should stay in communication with their facility leadership.

Other populations should remain in close contact with their medical providers as more detailed plans are released.

In my home we have no employers or facility leaderships, and our medical providers (doctors and pharmacies) don't have the vaccine, don't know when they'll get it, and don't know how they will distribute it.

Lots of category 1a people, now eligible for vaccine, are reportedly refusing around here. I'm not sure I would take the shot if I were under 40, because the fatality rate under that age is very small, plus I think the side-effect data are too preliminary and uncertain and are not being fully reported. I didn't get a flu shot until I reached 70, a danger age.

States haven't even received their complete vax allocations for 1a people yet, so I’m sure they're not going to be able to notify groups 1b, 2, etc. until they can complete willing 1a recipients and receive add'l supplies.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/07/21 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
People need to be told that this (at least the first two versions) vaccine is not a dead or neutered version of the virus, but just something that mimics a piece of it. And I think it only mimics the shape.

I saw an article that said that they are moving slowly enough on getting the vaccine in people's arms that some of it may expire and have to be thrown out.

Specifically, it "mimics" a spike protein on the surface of the virus.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/07/21 1:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

I think most people know that, most especially all the highly educated refuseniks who are healthcare workers. The vaccine is a modified RNA molecule. That's what ModeRNA stands for.

However, that doesn't mean the vaccine can't have serious mid- or long-term side effects, as yet undetected or unreported.

I have taken very established medications that have tremendous side effects according to the majority of post-introduction patient reports and physician experiences, but which were reported as "rare" to "very rare" in the qualification studies submitted to the FDA -- side effect falsities which persist to this day in the official medication data sheets. I quit many of those meds because of the under-reported side effects, but stay on two others because the therapeutic benefits outweigh the significantly harmful side effects.

I would take Covid vaccine and risk unknown side effects because I'm in a very high known death risk category. However, I can understand much younger people being far less motivated.

Letting vaccines expire for non-use while in short supply is unacceptable, immoral and almost criminal.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/07/21 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Investigation on whether it's related to the vaccine or not.
Quote:
In a Facebook post, Michael's wife, Heidi Neckelmann, said he sought emergency care three days after the shot because he had dots on his skin that indicated internal bleeding.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/01/06/death-florida-doctor-following-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-under-investigation-gregory-michael/6574414002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/07/21 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Investigation on whether it's related to the vaccine or not.
Quote:
In a Facebook post, Michael's wife, Heidi Neckelmann, said he sought emergency care three days after the shot because he had dots on his skin that indicated internal bleeding.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/01/06/death-florida-doctor-following-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-under-investigation-gregory-michael/6574414002/

Without any information about his medical history and an autopsy, it's difficult to make any statements about the role of the vaccine.

tfan

PostPosted: 01/08/21 6:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some parts of Nebraska are already giving COVID-19 vaccines to those 75 and older

Quote:
While people age 75 and older in eastern Nebraska continue to wait and wonder when the COVID-19 vaccine will be available to them, areas of outstate Nebraska already have started vaccinating people in that group.

Quote:
Stoney said vaccinations for those in the state's designated Phase 1A group — health care workers and residents of long-term care centers — are mostly complete in her district.

Quote:
That largely comes down to vaccine allocations, she said. Some rural areas have very few people in Phase 1A and need to move on to ensure all their doses get used.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/08/21 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why is the vaccine being restricted to those that are high risk? Don't All Lives Matter?

Wink

PostPosted: 01/08/21 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Biden to release all the vaccine 💉 instead of holding back doses in an effort to get as many people vaccinated at possible. Whatever that means. I can’t figure if it means releasing the federal stockpile or the states from federal guidelines and tiers, etc. But whatever it does mean, I’m for it. But it does run counter to a consensus of medical experts advise, which Biden has said he, unlike Trump, would adhere to.

PostPosted: 01/08/21 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYTimes:

In New York City and many places around the country, the mass vaccination campaign is off to a dispiriting start, with public health experts voicing concerns about how few people have been vaccinated so far, even as coronavirus cases soar and a more contagious variant of the virus has been detected.

It initially seemed that the main bottleneck would be scarcity of the vaccine. But in New York City, health experts said the problem was that officials have been slow to make use of vaccine doses already distributed. As of early Friday, only 167,949 of 489,325 doses had been administered — about 34 percent, which was lower than the rate across New York State, which is over 40 percent.

Elsewhere, governors are relaxing protocols because of criticism over the pace of inoculations and growing demand. For their part, federal officials have asked states to expand eligibility.

But in New York, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo has stuck to rigid guidelines that prioritize health care workers, and residents and staff of nursing homes and group homes.

The slow pace has touched off new tensions between Mr. Cuomo and Mayor Bill de Blasio. The two men, Democrats with a history of feuding, have frequently clashed over the response to the pandemic.

On Friday, the mayor again called on the state to open up eligibility to larger categories, including some essential workers and people over 75.

But the governor has so far not expanded eligibility beyond that first group, saying that it was important to first vaccinate as many of those people as possible. He recently signed an executive order threatening fines of up to $1 million for health care providers who violate his prioritization system.

City officials said it would be easier to speed things up when far more people were eligible.

“Come on, give us the freedom to vaccinate,” Mr. de Blasio said on Thursday, referring to the governor.

Mr. Cuomo has said that given the scarcity of doses, it makes sense to limit eligibility.

“We owe it to them ethically,” he said, adding that health care workers needed the protection the most so that they could care for others during an escalating second wave.

Alex M. Azar II, the secretary of the federal Department of Health and Human Services, urged states this week to not allow rigid prioritization lists to slow things down.

“There is no reason that states need to complete, say, vaccinating all health care providers before opening up vaccinations to older Americans or other especially vulnerable populations,” Mr. Azar said.

PostPosted: 01/08/21 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How do we make the people in control of this shit show understand that two thirds of doses shipped sitting unused, and probably even a larger percentage nationally, is not scarcity but actually the opposite. And while we’re at it, can someone explain the concept of a “fluid” situation to this arrogant blow hard and the need to make adjustments as different realities present themselves?

PostPosted: 01/08/21 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
How do we make the people in control of this shit show understand that two thirds of doses shipped sitting unused, and probably even a larger percentage nationally, is not scarcity but actually the opposite. And while we’re at it, can someone explain the concept of a “fluid” situation to this arrogant blow hard and the need to make adjustments as different realities present themselves?

If that's actually true, why are leaders from New England governors to Houston hospital admins complaining they aren't receiving their allocations and that's the reason more people aren't being vaccinated? Are they lying? Or is it that NYC and California just need to get their acts together? What's the point in Biden releasing all the vaccine if the issue is really poor execution of the vaccination program?

And Biden now deciding to ignore the advice of the CDC is intolerable. We've just traded one ass for another.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/08/21 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The feds were initially holding half the doses in storage so that they would be available for the second booster shot that is necessary in three or four weeks for both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. Other countries like the UK were doing the same.

Now, a debate has broken out as to whether the held-back booster shots should be made available as first time shots, risking an unavailability of booster shots in three or four weeks. The argument is that half a loaf is better than none -- i.e., that it's better to get one shot into more people's arms than two shots into fewer people's arms.

Is there any right answer to such questions?

There's no history or precedent for any of this in medicine. There really isn't much known "science" or any undisputed "experts" in so many aspects of this virus and pandemic. Just about everyone -- talking head doctors, bureaucrat doctors and institutions, politicians, media commentators -- seem basically just to be winging it day to day, and often changing course simply out of frustration.

It's not UConn basketball; it's mostly just scrambling streetball.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/08/21 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
The feds were initially holding half the doses in storage so that they would be available for the second booster shot that is necessary in three or four weeks for both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. Other countries like the UK were doing the same.

Now, a debate has broken out as to whether the held-back booster shots should be made available as first time shots, risking an unavailability of booster shots in three or four weeks. The argument is that half a loaf is better than none -- i.e., that it's better to get one shot into more people's arms than two shots into fewer people's arms.

Is there any right answer to such questions?

There's no history or precedent for any of this in medicine. There really isn't much known "science" or any undisputed "experts" in so many aspects of this virus and pandemic. Just about everyone -- talking head doctors, bureaucrat doctors and institutions, politicians, media commentators -- seem basically just to be winging it day to day, and often changing course simply out of frustration.

It's not UConn basketball; it's mostly just scrambling streetball.

We do have known science. We have 2 completed trials that demonstrated the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were 94-95% effective when given in 2 doses 4 weeks apart.

We have no known science about the proposals on the table, i.e. not giving the second dose as scheduled or halving the amount in each dose.

One is science, the other politicization. Have we learned nothing yet about managing this pandemic?

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/08/21 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
We've just traded one ass for another.

Hell-fucking-O! You just won Sentence of the Year for 2021 and possibly 2022, 2023, and 2024 as well. Very Happy

This should come with a cash award but 🥇 is the best I can do. Wink

PostPosted: 01/08/21 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is the Connecticut vaccination progress as of yesterday. Note the "uptake rates", which are the percentage of the population taking the vaccine. There seem to be quite a few refuseniks among healthcare workers and nursing home staff, whereas almost all nursing home residents will be vaccinated by today.

Preliminary reports are that phase 1b in CT will include anyone 75 or older.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/09/21 2:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Percentage of population vaccinated by state.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/health/covid-vaccine-states-distribution-doses/

Percentage of vaccines administered by state.
https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/states-ranked-by-percentage-of-covid-19-vaccines-administered.html

There are huge deviations for both measures.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/09/21 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember quite clearly Pfizer stating that no state or other governing bodies should withhold shots due to wanting to retain vaccine for second doses. They said that was not their intention and that they would be able to supply enough vaccine for the second doses. I don’t know if anything has changed on that but I’m absolutely positive I heard it.

PostPosted: 01/09/21 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People around here started getting their second dose yesterday. A friend of mine had a strong reaction to it. Getting flushed, feeling faint, BP 30-40 points higher than normal, "splotches" on arms and back. She is the only person that I heard of that had a reaction to the first dose.

Indiana started scheduling for people 80+ to get their shot.

If anyone is interested in keeping track of Indiana's vaccination efforts, here's the website:
https://www.coronavirus.in.gov/2680.htm

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Howee

PostPosted: 01/09/21 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
And Biden now deciding to ignore the advice of the CDC is intolerable. We've just traded one ass for another.

Whooooaaa.....what's led you to THAT conclusion? (And I must point out, not ALL *asses* are created equal, Laughing Laughing) IFFF Biden is ignoring the CDC's advice, it definitely isn't out of a desire for personal/political gain, such as the Outgoing Ass might do/has done.

PostPosted: 01/09/21 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Whooooaaa.....what's led you to THAT conclusion? (And I must point out, not ALL *asses* are created equal, Laughing Laughing) IFFF Biden is ignoring the CDC's advice, it definitely isn't out of a desire for personal/political gain, such as the Outgoing Ass might do/has done.

Points taken. We've traded a humongous ass for a smaller one when it comes to following the CDC.

James Buchanan is undoubtedly doing cartwheels in his grave as he will no longer be known as the worst president in the history of the US.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/09/21 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
IFFF Biden is ignoring the CDC's advice, it definitely isn't out of a desire for personal/political gain, such as the Outgoing Ass might do/has done.

Giving first dibs to teachers unions and the AARP certainly seems like something a Democrat might do for political gain

PostPosted: 01/09/21 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
IFFF Biden is ignoring the CDC's advice, it definitely isn't out of a desire for personal/political gain, such as the Outgoing Ass might do/has done.

Giving first dibs to teachers unions and the AARP certainly seems like something a Democrat might do for political gain

??? He's actually done that? Over health care workers/first responders?

PostPosted: 01/09/21 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

??? He's actually done that? Over health care workers/first responders?

Per Jammer...
jammerbirdi wrote:
Biden to release all the vaccine 💉 instead of holding back doses in an effort to get as many people vaccinated at possible. Whatever that means. I can’t figure if it means releasing the federal stockpile or the states from federal guidelines and tiers, etc. But whatever it does mean, I’m for it. But it does run counter to a consensus of medical experts advise, which Biden has said he, unlike Trump, would adhere to.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: