Board Junkies Forums

Stewart Among 5 Selected by SI for SOTY
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/12/20 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
My goodness, to find an SI sportsperson of the year who didn't win a championship that year we have to go all the way back to the distant past of 2017...

https://www.si.com/sportsperson/2017/12/05/si-sportsperson-of-the-year-jj-watt-houston-texans

To be fair:

Quote:
But when it came to the franchise’s signature award, off-field sacrifices and charity mattered as much as highlight reels and championship trophies, sometimes even more.

Add to the fact that 2017 was the year of Hurricane Harvey, it’s literally no surprise that two Houston athletes won the award.

PostPosted: 12/12/20 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:
My goodness, to find an SI sportsperson of the year who didn't win a championship that year we have to go all the way back to the distant past of 2017...

https://www.si.com/sportsperson/2017/12/05/si-sportsperson-of-the-year-jj-watt-houston-texans

To be fair:

Quote:
But when it came to the franchise’s signature award, off-field sacrifices and charity mattered as much as highlight reels and championship trophies, sometimes even more.

Add to the fact that 2017 was the year of Hurricane Harvey, it’s literally no surprise that two Houston athletes won the award.

Add to the fact that 2020 was the year of BLM, it's no surprise that a black woman from the WNBA was honored.

oh wait

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/12/20 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Add to the fact that 2020 was the year of BLM, it's no surprise that a black woman from the WNBA was honored.

oh wait

I hate to be repetitive, but once again: thank you.

Since this discussion is continuing, I'm going to go back to what Layshia Clarendon tweeted six days ago, which hasn't been posted here:

"SInow messed up by not SOLELY acknowledging the WNBA as the Sports Activist of the Year. It should have been our whole league (including Stewie) to win this award. The W led the entire sports movement! Disgusted at the constant erasure of black women, queer, and trans folks."

Totally with Layshia Clarendon.

PostPosted: 12/13/20 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

oh wait

No denial from me, especially with being African American and seeing us continually get hosed.

But they set the tone with the recipients coming from championship teams even though they could’ve been more inclusive.

PostPosted: 12/13/20 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Maya Moore

Quote:
Colin Kaepernick

To have given a SPORTSperson award to these two individuals would have been completely illogical for SPORTS Illustrated magazine, because neither of these two individuals have played sports for the past two or three seasons, much less having been players OF THE YEAR, which means having played in 2020. Maybe Maya Moore deserves an award from Paralegal Illustrated magazine and Kaepernick from Hustler magazine.

Quote:
The whole WNBA

Again, the award is for sportsPERSON of the year, not sports LEAGUE of the year.

Moreover, SI's five awardees were recognized for social activism much broader than just the blame-the-cops-before-the-evidence-is-in kind of political activism. The awards were given to individual champion athletes not only for BLM support, but for helping secure voting rights, for performance as a doctor during COVID, for advancing women's rights, and for unspecified activism. Wearing t-shirts with "say her name" or BLM slogans, which is all most of the WNBA league qua league visibly did, only addressed a small subset of all the potentially important areas of social activism that exist in this country and world.

Much of the criticism of Breanna Stewart's award goes off on Alice in Wonderland emotional tangents and illogical irrelevancies to SI's historical award criteria, if not the magazine's substantive raison d'être.
pilight

PostPosted: 12/13/20 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
But they set the tone with the recipients coming from championship teams even though they could’ve been more inclusive.

This year they did, to benefit a white player. In 2017 they didn't, also to benefit a white player.

They also chose non-current champions in...

2013 Peyton Manning
2011 Pat Summitt & Mike Krzyzewski
2007 Brett Favre
1998 Mark McGuire & Sammy Sosa
1997 Dean Smith
1995 Cal Ripken
1993 Don Shula
1992 Arthur Ashe
1987 "Athletes Who Care" none of whom won championships that year
1967 Carl Yastrzemski
1962 Terry Baker
1957 Stan Musial

There's no particular reason SI had to limit their choices to champions only this year.

#NATC

PostPosted: 12/13/20 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

2013 Peyton Manning
2007 Brett Favre
1997 Dean Smith
1995 Cal Ripken
1993 Don Shula
1992 Arthur Ashe
1967 Carl Yastrzemski
1962 Terry Baker
1957 Stan Musial

So clearly, in those years, the criteria wasn’t about champions. This year it was.

pilight wrote:
There's no particular reason SI had to limit their choices to champions only this year.

They didn’t, but they did.

With Duvernay-Tardif, was that also about benefiting a white person?

PostPosted: 12/13/20 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
This year they did, to benefit a white player. In 2017 they didn't, also to benefit a white player.

2013 Peyton Manning
2007 Brett Favre
1997 Dean Smith
1995 Cal Ripken
1993 Don Shula
1992 Arthur Ashe
1967 Carl Yastrzemski
1962 Terry Baker
1957 Stan Musial

Thanks so much for conducting and sharing this valuable research. It's obvious that SI can make whatever decisions they like regarding their awards, including continuing or not continuing the qualifications for any particular award. Their decision this year was unfortunate and misguided. As Layshia Clarendon and other WNBA players have said quite well.

(And, again: nothing intended against Breanna Stewart, an outstanding athlete and an outstanding activist.)

PostPosted: 12/13/20 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Activism Illustrated would consider giving their Activist of the Year award for 2020 to someone who elected not to even participate in any activism this year, but happened to be better at playing basketball than the most influential activists.
I suspect not, but it seems like anything goes in 2020 so who knows.

PostPosted: 12/13/20 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
I wonder if Activism Illustrated would consider giving their Activist of the Year award for 2020 to someone who elected not to even participate in any activism this year, but happened to be better at playing basketball than the most influential activists.

You're right: anything goes in 2020. Some people, inside and outside the WNBA, actually care about social justice and are expressing that in many different ways.

Black Lives Matter. Say Her Name: Breonna Taylor. And support the great activists of the WNBA.

PostPosted: 12/13/20 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

SI could have chosen a W player who had a strong season for a good team and had a more significant role in the league's activism. Maybe the one whose idea it was to put Breonna Taylor's name on the jerseys to begin with.

PostPosted: 12/14/20 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is pretty amazing that in a league dominated by Black women SI chose a white woman to honor. At best, it's tone deaf; at worst, it's yet another example of white bias, which ironically is what much of the activism is about.

PostPosted: 12/14/20 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
It is pretty amazing that in a league dominated by Black women SI chose a white woman to honor. At best, it's tone deaf; at worst, it's yet another example of white bias, which ironically is what much of the activism is about.

Well said. Thank you.

PostPosted: 12/15/20 2:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Apparently and unexpectedly (ironically?) though, not the Black Lives Matter activism through most of its history (after George Floyd it did broaden but that seems to have dissipated). There aren't any studies I am aware of that have been done that show that black men resisting arrest or defying the police are more likely to be shot by the police than white men resisting arrest or defying the police. The studies which have been done that I have heard about show no higher risk to black men. People will point to "percentage of the population" as evidence of likelihood, but the police don't shoot the general population randomly.

What should be the focus of the WNBA and NBA players is the poverty rate in black areas which in addition to the crapiness of the poverty part, breeds crime. Get companies that sell in the USA to put factories near poor black neighborhoods and not in China or rural Tennessee and have those factories be staffed with black people from the area and pause immigration so they don't staff it mostly with recent arrivals from outside the country. Or have programs to relocate people to areas where there are jobs and give them hiring preference. Or just pause the sacred cow of immigration, remove the illegal workforce, legislate manufacturing be done in the USA and force a worker shortage on American business that causes them to seek out and hire whoever they can and which causes wages to rise. Supply and demand of workers is manipulated to help the donor class - oversupply of workers - and then we wring our hands about how rough it is for workers - including black workers - while ignoring the policies that caused the problem.

GEF34

PostPosted: 12/16/20 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA and its players made Breanna Stewart one of the faces of their cause. She was one of the players the other players chose to have speak on their behalf. And she was the runner up in MVP voting, the Finals MVP and one of the most talked about stories all season, it’s not as if SI picked someone that didn’t do well on the court or wasn’t one of the “leaders” among the players in terms of their social injustice work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: