RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tara VanDerveer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/14/20 7:02 pm    ::: Tara VanDerveer Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The longtime Stanford coach tied the late Pat Summitt as winningest women’s coach in NCAA Division I basketball history with 1,098 on Sunday night as the top-ranked Cardinal beat rival California 83-38...

VanDerveer, the Hall of Fame coach in her 35th season on The Farm, is poised to pass Summitt on Tuesday night at Pacific if all goes as planned — the teams were forced to cancel their first scheduled game Nov. 29 because of a positive coronavirus test in the Tigers program.

Congrats to her on an accomplishment largely under the radar this season.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/no-1-stanford-moves-vanderveer-one-victory-from-wins-record/2020/12/14/6cc1be7c-3dcb-11eb-b58b-1623f6267960_story.html[/quote]

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/14/20 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The postponement allows the country to see Tara break the record on ESPN2 tomorrow night. Otherwise it would have buried on the Pac 12 Network.

ClayK

PostPosted: 12/15/20 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of the classiest and most consistent coaches in any sport any time ...

And for whatever reason, she's never really gotten the respect and appreciation she deserves.

PostPosted: 12/15/20 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

And for whatever reason, she's never really gotten the respect and appreciation she deserves.

Definitely a special and unique person with a great heart. Not sure why you think she hasn't gotten respect and appreciation though. I think she's pretty much known as one of the best coaches to date. Maybe a little less known because of West Coast stuff where we play too late for East'ers to notice? But she hasn't done what Geno has done in terms of consistent championshps so he rightfully gets a lot of accolades. The others you can argue about - Pat, Muffet, and Mulkey - but I think that's about all of the 'oldies' in comparison.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 12/15/20 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Classy. That's the key word for Tara, in my book. Contributing factors, imo, are her intellect and creativity -- her accomplishments as a classic pianist, her involvement in Chatauqua, etc. -- and her professional demeanor. Clearly, she's accomplished so much in The Game, at all levels of coaching. And she's done it all in HER style: no braggadocio, no conformity to 'style' or appearance expectations, etc. Just quietly, consistently winning over the decades.

PostPosted: 12/15/20 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Classy. That's the key word for Tara, in my book. Contributing factors, imo, are her intellect and creativity -- her accomplishments as a classic pianist, her involvement in Chatauqua, etc. -- and her professional demeanor. Clearly, she's accomplished so much in The Game, at all levels of coaching. And she's done it all in HER style: no braggadocio, no conformity to 'style' or appearance expectations, etc. Just quietly, consistently winning over the decades.

Good post, Howee. Agree fully.
Queenie

PostPosted: 12/15/20 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Definitely a special and unique person with a great heart. Not sure why you think she hasn't gotten respect and appreciation though. I think she's pretty much known as one of the best coaches to date. Maybe a little less known because of West Coast stuff where we play too late for East'ers to notice? But she hasn't done what Geno has done in terms of consistent championshps so he rightfully gets a lot of accolades. The others you can argue about - Pat, Muffet, and Mulkey - but I think that's about all of the 'oldies' in comparison.

I think, in honor of this milestone, you should dust off your best Tara stories.

PostPosted: 12/16/20 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ok. tears. it's such an honor for such a classy person.

Very Happy Congratulations on your coach's historic achievement!!

It sort of feels like the consistency of Stanford's wbb program has single-handedly kept the Pac-12 – at least in the wbb world – from becoming... whatever the hell it is now in both the football and mbb sports worlds. Rolling Eyes (Even Larry Scott couldn't melt the steel beams of Stanford wbb!) As it pertains to Pac-12 wbb relevancy, it really wasn't too long ago when it was just Stanford and then a bunch of lesser mediocre programs, with one maybe two formidable challengers to Stanford in the conference per season.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/16/20 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree, Classy.

What I find most impressive about Tara is not just how great they are as coaches, but also how wonderful her players have become. She has won 1099 games, but more importantly she has helped turn hundreds of teenaged girls into wonderful women.

I believe the same can be said of both Geno and Pat

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/16/20 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fully agree...classy is the one word that immediately comes to mind when thinking of Tara.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/16/20 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Fully agree...classy is the one word that immediately comes to mind when thinking of Tara.

Absolutely. You will get no argument from me. Keep on rolling, Tara!

PostPosted: 12/16/20 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I think, in honor of this milestone, you should dust off your best Tara stories.

I'm certainly no expert on it. We were truly awful as a team in those days. But we had a lot of fun. (To which Tara would say "you want to have fun? Try winning! Now THAT's fun!") She has really reached out to us oldies a lot and we're welcome to come sit in on practices and hobnob. I think, as with all really good coaches, watching practices can be pretty instructive about the character of a coach. She's demanding, but not 'get in your face screaming at you demanding'. She makes kids want to do the right thing not by force, but just because it's the right thing. And a lot of it is positive reinforcement.

She has a wonderful unique sense of humor and it comes out at the funniest times. The comment in the interview last night that you don't win the Kentucky Derby with a mule (which she attributed to her Dad, so maybe that's where she gets it) is so, so typical of the things she says. The two famous ones which have been handed down forever: "even a blind squirrel gets the nut sometimes" and "sometimes you're the dog and sometimes you're the hydrant" which might be followed by a description of how to be the dog. ok, a few more "that big S doesn't stand for Stupid" or with alliteration "Stanford's not Stupid" She also has a lot about hotdogs, as in basketball is a team sport so playing like a hotdog is not in her playbook. There are a lot of them about teamwork.

I think what she did a few years ago for a player is typical of her as a class act. When a girl from New Zealand that she recruited couldn't get into Stanford academically, she introduced and recommended her to the Cal coach - maybe it was Boyle then but no, probably Gottlieb. The girl ended up not being a star, but certainly a solid player for Cal for four years. I've heard Tara has done similar things for other players who she wanted, but couldn't get because of academics.

Tara is a good example of 'nice people can get to the top'. And she would probably call herself 'just normal' because she just is who she is without making a big deal over it.

RESPECT!

- Amanda Gorman
taropatch

PostPosted: 12/17/20 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

* moderator please delete -- thank you *

Last edited by taropatch on 12/18/20 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 12/17/20 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
Here's a Tara story I've never heard before involving Geno and the recruiting of Nykesha Sales.

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-xpm-1997-12-22-9712220245-story.html

Quote:
This is what Auriemma remembered a few days ago about the crushing 94-75 loss at Stanford in December 1993:

"We were never in that game," Auriemma said, "and I thought we'd played exceptionally well. After it was over, I remember someone, maybe a writer, suggesting that UConn would be better the next season because it had just signed Nykesha Sales. And Stanford's response was something to the effect of, 'Well, we signed six Nykesha Saleses for next season.' "

After Sales lit up her team like a parched Christmas tree at an arsonists convention, VanDerveer flatly denied anything of the sort: "That's not anything I've ever said, nor would it be anything I would say."

Let's go to the videotape! Or at least to the Dec. 28, 1993, Courant.
"This is kind of a transition year and we haven't really been in sync," VanDerveer is quoted. "We had our best recruiting class. We signed six Nykesha Saleses."

If you've never heard the story before how did you come accross it just now, 23 years after it was published, on such a specifically convenient day? Seeing through that.

So, thanks for taking a thread celebrating a legendary coach and throwing in an anecdote that intentionally paints that coach in a negative light while trumping up UConn for no fucking reason.

Seriously? Why would you even THINK to bring this up on this thread other than to undermine Tara's legacy in favor of Geno's? Yeah, we all know he's a great coach, but let other people have their due without constantly bringing everything back to him and fucking UConn!!!

THIS SHIT IS INFURIATING!!! And it is NON-STOP from you homers. Please! The woman just broke a huge record, can you please, PLEASE let this moment be about something other than UConn?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/17/20 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
taropatch wrote:
Here's a Tara story I've never heard before involving Geno and the recruiting of Nykesha Sales.

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-xpm-1997-12-22-9712220245-story.html

Quote:
This is what Auriemma remembered a few days ago about the crushing 94-75 loss at Stanford in December 1993:

"We were never in that game," Auriemma said, "and I thought we'd played exceptionally well. After it was over, I remember someone, maybe a writer, suggesting that UConn would be better the next season because it had just signed Nykesha Sales. And Stanford's response was something to the effect of, 'Well, we signed six Nykesha Saleses for next season.' "

After Sales lit up her team like a parched Christmas tree at an arsonists convention, VanDerveer flatly denied anything of the sort: "That's not anything I've ever said, nor would it be anything I would say."

"This is kind of a transition year and we haven't really been in sync," VanDerveer is quoted. "We had our best recruiting class. We signed six Nykesha Saleses."

If you've never heard the story before how did you come accross it just now, 23 years after it was published, on such a specifically convenient day? Seeing through that.

So, thanks for taking a thread celebrating a legendary coach and throwing in an anecdote that intentionally paints that coach in a negative light while trumping up UConn for no fucking reason.

Seriously? Why would you even THINK to bring this up on this thread other than to undermine Tara's legacy in favor of Geno's? Yeah, we all know he's a great coach, but let other people have their due without constantly bringing everything back to him and fucking UConn!!!

THIS SHIT IS INFURIATING!!! And it is NON-STOP from you homers. Please! The woman just broke a huge record, can you please, PLEASE let this moment be about something other than UConn?

Well said, but one curmudgeonly snipe can't diminish Tara's achievement.

ClayK

PostPosted: 12/17/20 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:

Quote:

This kind of post is one reason UConn and its fans remain unpopular.

PostPosted: 12/17/20 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Tara, one of the truly great coaches the game has seen. I think a testament to her greatness is how she helped elevate the Pac-12. That conference was long the laughing stock of all the P5 conferences. I mean, on the old ESPN board we called it the Slac-10. Her keeping Stanford consistently in the top-5 I'm sure are/were "help us dethrone Stanford" recruiting pitches from Charli, Kelly Scott, Adia, Cori, and the rest of the conference coaches.

Her teams are always prepared, play great basketball, and present themselves very well on the court. To do what she has done at the most esteemed combination of academic & athletics college or university in the country, is phenomenal.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/17/20 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee - please check your PM.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 12/17/20 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tara VanDerveer Wins And Wins And Wins

https://defector.com/tara-vanderveer-wins-and-wins-and-wins/

Quote:
VanDerveer, a staid and soft-spoken sort who has rocked the same haircut for 35 years now, may not command much attention outside the sport, but her consistent excellence speaks for itself. “She’s understated, but she’s clearly in charge,” Steve Kerr said yesterday at a press conference.

PostPosted: 12/18/20 5:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My post and link to that article that caused a hiccup in this thread has been deleted but not before it caused a minor uproar. Please accept my apologies for that post. Carry on.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/18/20 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
My post and link to that article that caused a hiccup in this thread has been deleted but not before it caused a minor uproar. Please accept my apologies for that post. Carry on.

I actually didn't find it offensive. I could actually hear her saying something like that as support for the kids she did sign.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: