RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Covid Cancellations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/26/21 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
St. John's at Creighton for tomorrow has been canceled as a result of an inconclusive Covid test for a St. John's player:

https://www.bigeast.com/news/2021/2/26/womens-basketball-bigeastwbb-announces-schedule-change.aspx

end this goddamn season already I am so done with this season

PostPosted: 02/27/21 2:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Navy's season is likely done now due to a Covid issue- https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/navy/ac-cs-navy-loyola-womens-basketball-canceled-20210227-jeaj4svgcvfxnmrhqty5hezr7y-story.html

The Patriot League is requesting a waiver from the NCAA to allow their men's and women's teams who didn't get in the minimum 13 games to be eligible for the NCAA Tournament - https://www.pressherald.com/2021/02/26/college-notebook-patriot-league-drops-minimum-game-requirement-asks-ncaa-for-waivers/

I think a good part of their problem was the way they chose to set their schedule up, in which case why should they get a waiver?

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/27/21 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
Navy's season is likely done now due to a Covid issue- https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/navy/ac-cs-navy-loyola-womens-basketball-canceled-20210227-jeaj4svgcvfxnmrhqty5hezr7y-story.html

The Patriot League is requesting a waiver from the NCAA to allow their men's and women's teams who didn't get in the minimum 13 games to be eligible for the NCAA Tournament - https://www.pressherald.com/2021/02/26/college-notebook-patriot-league-drops-minimum-game-requirement-asks-ncaa-for-waivers/

I think a good part of their problem was the way they chose to set their schedule up, in which case why should they get a waiver?

I think their argument was that they set up their schedule that way as a safety precaution and thus they were acting in everyone's best interests; I think the counterargument is "y'all did that and y'all still had COVID postponements within the first week of conference play, you did in fact bring this all on yourselves".

PostPosted: 02/27/21 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Today’s MSU at Nebraska game will not be played “based on medical advice from both schools”.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 02/28/21 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Today’s Michigan at Minnesota game canceled due to Covid issues in Gophers program.

This game will not be rescheduled.

After all the previous postponements or cancellations, this cannot be good news at all for the Wolverines.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/28/21 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
Today’s Michigan at Minnesota game canceled due to Covid issues in Gophers program.

After all the previous postponements or cancellations, this cannot be good news at all for the Wolverines.

Yeah, chances for a win there would have been good. I’ve been looking for the B1G to insert a game into the Wolverines’ schedule on Tuesday/Wednesday to make something up, but maybe at this point they should just let it go. Two of their missed opponents, Penn State and Rutgers, are already playing Tuesday.

I can’t imagine what a conference tourney is even going to look like at this point (let alone standings and tiebreakers for seeding).

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/28/21 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

Yeah, chances for a win there would have been good. I’ve been looking for the B1G to insert a game into the Wolverines’ schedule on Tuesday/Wednesday to make something up, but maybe at this point they should just let it go. Two of their missed opponents, Penn State and Rutgers, are already playing Tuesday.

I can’t imagine what a conference tourney is even going to look like at this point (let alone standings and tiebreakers for seeding).

Update: Michigan will host Maryland Thursday. Time TBA.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/01/21 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:

Screw the Patriot League. You set your schedule that way while every other conference except the Ivy managed to fumble their way through the season. There is no way in hell they should get a waiver. I'm sure it will be granted but I think it is crap.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/01/21 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

Screw the Patriot League. You set your schedule that way while every other conference except the Ivy managed to fumble their way through the season. There is no way in hell they should get a waiver. I'm sure it will be granted but I think it is crap.

Can someone fill me in on this? What was the issue with the way their schedule was set up? (genuinely wanting to know here)

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/01/21 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

Can someone fill me in on this? What was the issue with the way their schedule was set up? (genuinely wanting to know here)

The big thing is they did not allow their teams to play out of conference games and then didn't begin play until 2021, with the exceptions of Army and Navy. As a result, their conference "champion" is Bucknell, who is 8-0. While all the other teams in all the other conferences dealt with covid cancellations, interrupted travel plans, rescheduling games on the fly, etc, these guys just hung out until January. Then, shocker, the conference had several covid related postponements and cancellations that left most of their teams under the threshold established by the NCAA months ago. They have no excuse and there is no way they should be granted an exception when every other team in every other conference had to deal with all this stuff to make sure they got to the minimum number of games. When there are twitter, text and email threads going back and forth between coaches trying to secure games, there is no way this conference should get a waiver. No way. But, they probably will as they will play the "safety" card and the NCAA will cave. If I were other schools/conferences, I would be very pissed if they are granted that waiver.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/01/21 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

The big thing is they did not allow their teams to play out of conference games and then didn't begin play until 2021, with the exceptions of Army and Navy. As a result, their conference "champion" is Bucknell, who is 8-0. While all the other teams in all the other conferences dealt with covid cancellations, interrupted travel plans, rescheduling games on the fly, etc, these guys just hung out until January. Then, shocker, the conference had several covid related postponements and cancellations that left most of their teams under the threshold established by the NCAA months ago. They have no excuse and there is no way they should be granted an exception when every other team in every other conference had to deal with all this stuff to make sure they got to the minimum number of games. When there are twitter, text and email threads going back and forth between coaches trying to secure games, there is no way this conference should get a waiver. No way. But, they probably will as they will play the "safety" card and the NCAA will cave. If I were other schools/conferences, I would be very pissed if they are granted that waiver.

Thank you for the explanation. Sounds like incredibly poor planning on the part of the conference commissioners and coaches. I do feel for the players though. Would hate to see them lose an opportunity for poor planning that they had no part in. I feel for Ohio State for similar reasons.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/01/21 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Thank you for the explanation. Sounds like incredibly poor planning on the part of the conference commissioners and coaches. I do feel for the players though. Would hate to see them lose an opportunity for poor planning that they had no part in. I feel for Ohio State for similar reasons.

They got to compete without it costing any eligibility, which could lead to many of them getting a graduate degree without any cost to them. That's a pretty good win. Plus, they still have an opportunity to win a conference title. It's not like any of those teams would win the National Title and it isn't right for them to take an NCAA Tournament spot from a team that battled not only opponents on the court, but the covid postponement/cancellation nightmare that was this season.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 03/01/21 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Bucknell gets an exception, I think the NCAA should give and exception to Cal Baptist, the other undefeated team. Only their 3rd year of D1, they are not eligible for the tournament, but can play in conference tournament and WNIT. Why not just open the door to any D1 team.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/01/21 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

Their conference rearrangement was equally to blame. After the cancellation of their OOC schedules, the league took their 10 teams and divided them into three mini-conferences of 3-4 teams each. Each team was scheduled to play 2 home and 2 away games against each of the other teams in their mini-conf, then have enough games added with out-of-mini-conf teams to reach the NCAA minimum.

What happened was that every time a team had a COVID issue, it almost automatically caused the other teams in their mini-conf to have issues, plus their out-of-mini-con opponents. They had a boatload of postponements and cancellations. Only two of their ten teams reached the NCAA's 13 game minimum, and one of those was Army which was allowed to play OOC games.

Take a look at the League's standings and tell me in what universe Bucknell has qualified for a trip to the tourney. They didn't even reach the League's own minimum of 12 games, and six of their eight wins came against the same two teams. That's not even representative of competition in their own League,

https://patriotleague.org/standings.aspx?path=wbball

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/01/21 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Their conference rearrangement was equally to blame. After the cancellation of their OOC schedules, the league took their 10 teams and divided them into three mini-conferences of 3-4 teams each. Each team was scheduled to play 2 home and 2 away games against each of the other teams in their mini-conf, then have enough games added with out-of-mini-conf teams to reach the NCAA minimum.

What happened was that every time a team had a COVID issue, it almost automatically caused the other teams in their mini-conf to have issues, plus their out-of-mini-con opponents. They had a boatload of postponements and cancellations. Only two of their ten teams reached the NCAA's 13 game minimum, and one of those was Army which was allowed to play OOC games.

Take a look at the League's standings and tell me in what universe Bucknell has qualified for a trip to the tourney. They didn't even reach the League's own minimum of 12 games, and six of their eight wins came against the same two teams. That's not even representative of competition in their own League,

https://patriotleague.org/standings.aspx?path=wbball

I had totally forgotten about the mini division structure they created. I remember thinking at the time that was dumb and I guess it was proven correct. This really is a big cluster and it will piss me off if they get a waiver. Complete bs to all the other conferences and teams.

* Edit - interesting to note that the very first thing you read after looking at the standings is that every team has to play 12 games to qualify for their conference tournament. Clearly that got pushed to the side so that Bucknell and American could participate...winners of 2 of the 3 "mini-conferences".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: