RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Covid Cancellations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 12/29/20 6:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
The SEC opener between South Carolina and Mississippi - which was to be held Thursday December 31st at Colonial Life Arena in Columbia, SC - has been postponed due to covid-19 concerns.

According to the reports, the concerns involve Mississippi and not South Carolina. The Gamecock's next scheduled game is Jan. 4th against Alabama in Tuscaloosa, AL.....

https://gamecocksonline.com/news/2020/12/27/south-carolina-ole-miss-womens-basketball-game-postponed.aspx

And now the word is out that we've made a scheduling change, and now will play Florida on the 31st instead of Ole Miss, at 4:00 pm at the CLA.....

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/29/20 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And now Tenn's program is on pause. A "Tier 1" person had a positive test result today, so now they're doing contract tracing and quarantining. Thursday's game against Texas A&M and the 1/3 Kentucky game are postponed. Since Tenn played Lipscomb last night, I would imagine they're in limbo too.

The State of Tenn is now the country's latest COVID epicenter with the highest new infection rate in the country.

greatgator

PostPosted: 12/29/20 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SMU women’s basketball team opts out of season after six games

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-mustangs/2020/12/29/smu-womens-basketball-team-opts-out-of-season-after-six-games/

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/29/20 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think we may be getting to the point where it's easier to say who is still playing instead of who is on pause due to Covid Sad.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/29/20 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are teams about to start their conference seasons after playing only 3-4 games. Now they'll be playing 2 games/week, only 3-4 days apart, and every time someone has to pause, it may require their 2 most recent opponents to pause and their next 2 games to be postponed. There's going to be a domino effect, and I don't see how all the postponed games will get rescheduled.

Is it worth continuing the season just to play ~15 games?

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/29/20 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really think what needs to happen is a mandatory 2-week pause for all teams. They quarantine during that time and then resume activities on like Jan 15th. Have competition resume on the 22nd and run through the end of Feb. At that point, implement another 2 week pause before having the NCAA Tournaments, men in Indiana, women in San Antonio. This last 2 week pause gives every team the opportunity to make sure they have no positive cases and can then play in the postseason.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/29/20 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
There are teams about to start their conference seasons after playing only 3-4 games. Now they'll be playing 2 games/week, only 3-4 days apart, and every time someone has to pause, it may require their 2 most recent opponents to pause and their next 2 games to be postponed. There's going to be a domino effect, and I don't see how all the postponed games will get rescheduled.

Is it worth continuing the season just to play ~15 games?

The Big East started conference play on December 4th - Marquette had played two games before then. There are teams out there that have missed quite a few games - Georgetown has played only one game total for the 20-21 season so far.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/30/20 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The reshuffling of the SEC schedule didn't do #13 Kentucky any favors. They're now opening with this over 11 days...
#10 Arkansas
at #12 Miss St.
at #9 Texas A&M
#5 SC

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/30/20 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
I really think what needs to happen is a mandatory 2-week pause for all teams. They quarantine during that time and then resume activities on like Jan 15th. Have competition resume on the 22nd and run through the end of Feb. At that point, implement another 2 week pause before having the NCAA Tournaments, men in Indiana, women in San Antonio. This last 2 week pause gives every team the opportunity to make sure they have no positive cases and can then play in the postseason.

I agree. Good idea. Too bad they won't do it. Which could well result in no postseason whatsoever.

- Amanda Gorman
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/30/20 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kansas State has gone on a pause after multiple players tested positive for Covid and for now their games Saturday at Oklahoma and Tuesday vs. West Virginia have been postponed:

https://themercury.com/k_state_sports/k-state-womens-basketball-pauses-team-activities-due-to-covid-19-issues/article_d7d1419b-512d-56d5-8970-b99c945224b5.html

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/30/20 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Virginia is out against Louisville.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/30/20 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what's up with KL?

Quote:
On December 9, after a 73-49 loss to Louisville, she said, “I don’t think we should be playing right now.”

She hasn’t said a word publicly since. In fact, she has disappeared completely from view. Her cell phone doesn’t ring; rather, a recording announces: “The person you are trying to reach is not accepting calls at this time. Please try your call again later.”

This is weird. Lawson, who has been a member of the media for years, is off the grid at the exact moment we would most like to hear what she has to say. Word at Duke is she might be with family, while school officials have nothing else to say on the record about any of this.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/christinebrennan/2020/12/30/duke-womens-basketball-players-smart-cancel-season-covid/4090341001/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ClayK

PostPosted: 12/31/20 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
So what's up with KL?

Quote:
On December 9, after a 73-49 loss to Louisville, she said, “I don’t think we should be playing right now.”

She hasn’t said a word publicly since. In fact, she has disappeared completely from view. Her cell phone doesn’t ring; rather, a recording announces: “The person you are trying to reach is not accepting calls at this time. Please try your call again later.”

This is weird. Lawson, who has been a member of the media for years, is off the grid at the exact moment we would most like to hear what she has to say. Word at Duke is she might be with family, while school officials have nothing else to say on the record about any of this.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/christinebrennan/2020/12/30/duke-womens-basketball-players-smart-cancel-season-covid/4090341001/

From my personal experience, Lawson has always treated the media with disdain. Her comments were always limited and unenlightening -- when you could get her to consent to speak to you, which wasn't that often.

PostPosted: 12/31/20 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kara already had her say. I don't know what she's expected to add now.
Quote:
New coach Kara Lawson, who was hired in July, had said this month: “I don’t think we should be playing right now. That’s my opinion on it.”
https://apnews.com/article/womens-basketball-womens-college-basketball-basketball-wilmington-coronavirus-pandemic-d7f6c250db46e032d683089ef78ab080

And I don't see any questions about the decision after this...
Quote:
It turns out that the Louisville game was the last one Duke played, finishing with a 3-1 record. Two days later, Louisville announced it was pausing team activities because of positive COVID tests. The next day, the ACC postponed Duke’s game with Miami because the Blue Devils were going through contact tracing procedures after playing Louisville. Four days later, on Dec. 16, Duke paused team activities when two staff members tested positive, and one of the players later tested positive as well, according to the Raleigh News & Observer.

Duke’s players began requesting that the entire ACC start daily COVID testing, just as Duke does, but the ACC’s Medical Advisory Group calls for basketball teams to be tested just three days a week.

Since the decision to end the season, information has been scarce and sporadic. The mother of a Duke player told Raleigh-Durham television station WTVD that she’s proud of what the team did.

"When they were talking to me about COVID they were talking about a social responsibility for your country, for other players," said Michelle Goodchild, the mother of junior guard Miela Goodchild. "They aren't just looking at the student-athletes. They've got a bigger vision. They're looking at how to protect Durham, the greater Duke community and beyond.”

Meanwhile, Duke senior center Jade Williams took on critics of her team’s decision on Twitter.

“I’m amazed at people,” she wrote. “To clarify…we together as a team, decided to opt out of our season. We are in a pandemic STILL because not enough people are taking it serious. Basketball players are not just entertainment. There shouldn’t be casual attitudes about COVID now a year in.”

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/31/20 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pittsburgh has paused all activities due to a positive Covid test. Their game today against Boston College has been postponed along with their next 3 games - against North Carolina (Jan. 3), at Louisville (Jan. 7) and Clemson (Jan. 10)

https://pittsburghpanthers.com/news/2020/12/31/pitt-womens-basketball-pauses-activities.aspx

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/31/20 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Florida Golf Coast postpones their next 4 games due to a positive Covid case in their program: https://fgcuathletics.com/news/2020/12/31/womens-basketball-games-at-north-alabama-versus-liberty-postponed.aspx

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/31/20 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All of this is EXACTLY why I'm not doing the Tipping Games this year.....in case anyone wondered.

PostPosted: 12/31/20 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Quote:
New coach Kara Lawson, who was hired in July, had said this month: “I don’t think we should be playing right now. That’s my opinion on it.”
https://apnews.com/article/womens-basketball-womens-college-basketball-basketball-wilmington-coronavirus-pandemic-d7f6c250db46e032d683089ef78ab080

Maybe answer what thoughts went in to the discussion and decision? (Was it discussed how this will affect the scholarships/eligibility if THE PLAYERS decide they don't want to play vs. Duke admin or NCAA deciding?) Who first brought it up - KL or the players? When did they first begin discussing that it might be a possibility? Had they been talking about it before the L'ville game? What was the discussion with upper levels of the athletic administration?

I'm sure that a journalist like Christine Brennan would have dozens more legit questions.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/01/21 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And now it strikes Marquette too - so much for watching them on national TV on Sunday Sad. They had a positive Covid case within the program and games vs. DePaul on 1/3, Creighton on 1/6 and Villanova on 1/9 have been postponed:

https://gomarquette.com/news/2021/1/1/womens-basketball-muwbb-pauses-basketball-activities.aspx

Hoping everyone stays healthy.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/01/21 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kansas has canceled their next two games due to injury and Covid which leaves them short of the Big 12 roster thresholds - https://kuathletics.com/kansas-womens-basketball-game-vs-wvu-postponed/

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/01/21 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youngstown State had two pauses this year so far due to Covid and played their very first game of the season today losing a close one to Wright State. I was surprised to hear it was their first game of the season.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/01/21 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Quote:

Maybe answer what thoughts went in to the discussion and decision? (Was it discussed how this will affect the scholarships/eligibility if THE PLAYERS decide they don't want to play vs. Duke admin or NCAA deciding?) Who first brought it up - KL or the players? When did they first begin discussing that it might be a possibility? Had they been talking about it before the L'ville game? What was the discussion with upper levels of the athletic administration?

I'm sure that a journalist like Christine Brennan would have dozens more legit questions.

Duke players have been VERY involved in the decision to end the season! They've been on social media. Miela Goodchild's mom has added her viewpoint from Australia, where new cases are rare. When a player tested positive after playing Louisville, the players got completely on board with the decision.

Kara said all she needed to say to the public at the Louisville game. The players know she will advocate for them and will never throw them under the bus. Polar opposite from previous coaching staff. It seems that Kara had deep reservations about playing Louisville due to lax testing compared to Duke that did not detect the virus circulating in Louisville program. The players quickly got on board when Kara's reservations proved to be valid.

Top players will soon be lining up to play for Coach Kara. A coach who will prioritize keeping them safe and knows how to capitalize on player strengths = winning combination.

~rAf
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/01/21 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Quote:

Duke players have been VERY involved in the decision to end the season! They've been on social media. Miela Goodchild's mom has added her viewpoint from Australia, where new cases are rare. When a player tested positive after playing Louisville, the players got completely on board with the decision.

Kara said all she needed to say to the public at the Louisville game. The players know she will advocate for them and will never throw them under the bus. Polar opposite from previous coaching staff. It seems that Kara had deep reservations about playing Louisville due to lax testing compared to Duke that did not detect the virus circulating in Louisville program. The players quickly got on board when Kara's reservations proved to be valid.

Top players will soon be lining up to play for Coach Kara. A coach who will prioritize keeping them safe and knows how to capitalize on player strengths = winning combination.

Never said that she needed to say more.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/01/21 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Navy’s paused.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/02/21 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Navy’s paused.

The Patriot League had eliminated all OOC games except for Army and Navy, and then divided its ten teams into "mini-conferences" of 4-3-3 teams with most play being scheduled within each mini-con in an effort to avoid pandemic woes. Yet several teams have had to pause their practice activities this fall, and here we are on the first day of the season with Navy paused due to a Tier 1 positive test and the league scrambling to rearrange its schedule on the opening weekend of the season.

2021 WCBB in a microcosm.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: