RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Azzi Fudd
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 02/26/21 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Synthetic grafts have a failure rate of about 30% within five years for normal people. None of them could hope to stand up to the stress of high level athletics.

PostPosted: 02/26/21 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Too much hyperbole.

No truer words.... Razz

Only ESPN. I go to their website more than any other (for scores, stats, etc.), but they get to be annoying the way they constantly hype UConn players this season -- no, wait -- A Player in 7 out of 8 of their highlight videos: "Bueckers drops 38 points on DePaul in 29 point victory", or "Bueckers amazes in 40 point blowout at Villanova". Rolling Eyes

I mean, yaa....she's good. But the HYPE-rbolic focus on one team/player is annoying. Last year, when UConn wasn't its shiny best, they did too much of that with Sabrina. THERE ARE DOZENS OF STARS OUT THERE. Try some highlight videos of OTHER hot freshmen, or give all of the AA prospects some love once in a while.

I wish Azzi all the best fortune in her career, but the HYPE-erbolic media attention might not be The Thing she needs more of at this moment. (Poor Jackie Gemelos always comes to mind when I hear of Azzi's luck so far)

PostPosted: 03/02/21 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Too much hyperbole.

No truer words.... Razz

Only ESPN. I go to their website more than any other (for scores, stats, etc.), but they get to be annoying the way they constantly hype UConn players this season -- no, wait -- A Player in 7 out of 8 of their highlight videos: "Bueckers drops 38 points on DePaul in 29 point victory", or "Bueckers amazes in 40 point blowout at Villanova". Rolling Eyes

I mean, yaa....she's good. But the HYPE-rbolic focus on one team/player is annoying. Last year, when UConn wasn't its shiny best, they did too much of that with Sabrina. THERE ARE DOZENS OF STARS OUT THERE. Try some highlight videos of OTHER hot freshmen, or give all of the AA prospects some love once in a while.

I wish Azzi all the best fortune in her career, but the HYPE-erbolic media attention might not be The Thing she needs more of at this moment. (Poor Jackie Gemelos always comes to mind when I hear of Azzi's luck so far)

I agree that ESPN goes overboard. Most of the Bueckers articles say the same thing over and over. But I challenge you to list even one dozen "STARS" who are as compelling as Bueckers. Notice I said "Stars", as you did.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/02/21 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[/quote] I agree that ESPN goes overboard. Most of the Bueckers articles say the same thing over and over. But I challenge you to list even one dozen "STARS" who are as compelling as Bueckers. Notice I said "Stars", as you did.[/quote]

This is somewhat of a chicken/egg problem. If all the stories get written about only one player, then you won't even be aware enough of the other players to find them compelling in the first place. Also, "compelling" can take so many different forms.

I'd love to read a story about the Leger-Walker sisters coming to the US to play, and an interview with the WSU coach on what it's like to come to a program that's at the very bottom of the league and try to build something.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/02/21 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bueckers has been spectacular but I agree there are lots of other stories out there. Focus on one player, and inevitably for the next three years, is a bit out of proportion.

someone like Naz Hillmon who kind of came out of left field (unless you were a B10 fan) should be a nice story.

I think amongst Freshman, yeah Charlisse, Caitlin Clark, and Brink are all interesting. Brink's connection to the Curry's is quite a cute story. There are probably others as well.

And stories about some of the seniors at the top of the draft list. There are also probably great stories on some of them who are going on to something other than sports.

Sisters playing together...or even on different teams could be interesting too.

Just throwing out thoughts but with a little digging it seems like there should be a plethora of interesting story lines. Just put Holly on the trail and let her find them.

Players who have had unusual backgrounds like Natasha Mack who chose to go JC route.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 03/02/21 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I agree that ESPN goes overboard. Most of the Bueckers articles say the same thing over and over. But I challenge you to list even one dozen "STARS" who are as compelling as Bueckers. Notice I said "Stars", as you did.

They didn't say they were as compelling as Bueckers, just that there are other stars that deserve some form of highlighting. No one player deserves 80% of ESPN's attention, and that is really what it has felt like this season on their website. Howee wasn't lying when he said that 7/8 of their highlight videos are of Bueckers. I think I've seen one Rhyne Howard, one Chelsea Dungee and about 12 Paige Bueckers highlight videos this season. It's truly ludicrous.

PostPosted: 03/02/21 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Hmmmm. I always enjoy a challenge (even if it ISN'T from Murdle! Wink )

"As compelling" is, of course, very subjective. Razz

These kids have some name rec, but what does the average fan really know about them? I promise you, they are VERY 'compelling' -- and stars -- in their own teams and conferences:

Anastasia Hayes
Caitlin Clark
Naz Hillmon
Cierra Hooks
Kierstan Bell
Dyaisha Fair
Ashley Joens
Micaela Kelly
Kionna Jeter
Chelsea Dungee
Peyton Scott
Charli Collier
Dana Evans
Kysre Gondrezick

Each one is in the top 20 list for scorers over this season (full disclosure, a few of these have had highlight vids of them posted, but very few)

Who's heard of these? Also in the Top 20 (averaging more points on the season than Bueckers, for that matter)

IImar'I Thomas
Jasmine Dickey
Madison Siegrist
Iggy Allen
Anna DeWolfe
Peyton Scott
Sydney Wagner
Blanca Millan (Interesting factoid: Blanca was POY in the American East, sustained a knee injury last season, and is now in contention for that award again)

And others who are 'compelling' in their conferences:
Natasha Mack (potential early draft pick this year)
Brice Calip (top candidate for conference POY from mid-major MoSt., who's been ranked steadily this season)
Hannah Sjerven
Jenn Wirth
Haley Jones
Aari McDonald....

And the FRESHMEN! Charlisse Leger-Walker, Cameron Brink, Haley Van Lith, Te'hina Paopao, etc.

So. There's a COUPLE dozen for ya. Smile

And yet, today's newest highlight? "Nelson-Ododa scores back-to-back buckets for UConn" Rolling Eyes Really?! Laughing

I know ESPN has their (un?)holy alliance with UConn, and maybe 'other' wcbb is not too high on their priorities list, but....I think they could do a leeeetle bit better.

Last edited by Howee on 03/02/21 10:04 pm; edited 4 times in total
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/02/21 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

And yet, today's newest highlight? "Nelson-Ododa scores back-to-back buckets for UConn" Rolling Eyes Really?! Laughing

Hahahahahaha I'm laughing but also crying.

What also needs to be mentioned is ESPN isn't in it for the game--they're in it for the money. UConn has a huge fan base, as does Bueckers, and they know they will get clicks for that content.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/03/21 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right on cue...another day, another espnW feature article on Bueckers

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30993738/should-uconn-paige-bueckers-win-national-player-year

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

linkster

PostPosted: 03/04/21 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
linkster wrote:

Hmmmm. I always enjoy a challenge (even if it ISN'T from Murdle! Wink )

"As compelling" is, of course, very subjective. Razz

These kids have some name rec, but what does the average fan really know about them? I promise you, they are VERY 'compelling' -- and stars -- in their own teams and conferences:

Anastasia Hayes
Caitlin Clark
Naz Hillmon
Cierra Hooks
Kierstan Bell
Dyaisha Fair
Ashley Joens
Micaela Kelly
Kionna Jeter
Chelsea Dungee
Peyton Scott
Charli Collier
Dana Evans
Kysre Gondrezick

Each one is in the top 20 list for scorers over this season (full disclosure, a few of these have had highlight vids of them posted, but very few)

Who's heard of these? Also in the Top 20 (averaging more points on the season than Bueckers, for that matter)

IImar'I Thomas
Jasmine Dickey
Madison Siegrist
Iggy Allen
Anna DeWolfe
Peyton Scott
Sydney Wagner
Blanca Millan (Interesting factoid: Blanca was POY in the American East, sustained a knee injury last season, and is now in contention for that award again)

And others who are 'compelling' in their conferences:
Natasha Mack (potential early draft pick this year)
Brice Calip (top candidate for conference POY from mid-major MoSt., who's been ranked steadily this season)
Hannah Sjerven
Jenn Wirth
Haley Jones
Aari McDonald....

And the FRESHMEN! Charlisse Leger-Walker, Cameron Brink, Haley Van Lith, Te'hina Paopao, etc.

So. There's a COUPLE dozen for ya. Smile

I know ESPN has their (un?)holy alliance with UConn, and maybe 'other' wcbb is not too high on their priorities list, but....I think they could do a leeeetle bit better.

I agree that it gets annoying seeing the same basic article several times a week, not only on ESPN but on sports websites all over the country. There must be a dozen Youtube posters trying to make a living on posting her highlights. They aren't doing that because they love UConn or wcbb. Maybe it has to do with Bueckers' popularity among the youth of this country? True womens basketball fans are not a huge audience, and from my view they are a very old demographic. Bueckers, without trying and with limited media exposure had more young followers than virtually every female basketball player in the world when she was still in high school. And she did it playing in Minn where teams can't travel to big tournaments that get media attention. These new fans aren't a bunch of old farts like me, they are young and new fans to wbb.
It's insane that one so young is so celebrated. Why? Not only is she a rare basketball talent but in an interview she is an engaging personality. She comes across as confident and at the same time humble and believable. She's a terror on the court and "the girl next door" off the court. This is what advertisers like and if advertisers like her then ESPN likes her.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: