RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Nancy Darsch Passed Away

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/03/20 3:19 pm    ::: Nancy Darsch Passed Away Reply Reply with quote

Just saw a notification on my phone, reported by ESPN.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
StevenHW

PostPosted: 11/03/20 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/30247635/nancy-darsch-coached-all-levels-women-basketball-dies-68

PostPosted: 11/03/20 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to tell one of my favorite Nancy stories.

In 1985, when Nancy was hired at OSU, my dad invite her to speak at our local Rotary Club luncheon. I got to sit with her and I was in heaven. I talked her head off. She told me to come down to the floor before a game and say hello.

Since I had season tickets. I went down the next game. I was standing at the end of the bench and the coaching staff came out from the locker room that was at the end of that baseline. They came out and started to cut across the court at the lane and Nancy looked over toward me and I started to wave as she was turning away, So I played it off and ran my hand threw my hair. She turned back around and said, "Hello, (my name). And I was so excited.

When I got home I told my mom that Nancy said, Hello to me. My mom said, "Did she call you (my name)? I said no and said another name, but it was close enough! Of course, she said my name.

Nancy was very good about that. She remembered personal details from conversations and would bring them up at later times.

RIP, Nancy..

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 11/21/20 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nancy Darsch, Champion Coach of Women’s Basketball, Dies at 68
Darsch turned Ohio State into a powerhouse, helped two U.S. teams win Olympic gold and was one of the original coaches in the W.N.B.A., leading the New York Liberty.

...When the W.N.B.A. started up in 1997, Darsch, with nearly 20 years of top-tier college experience, signed on as head coach of the Liberty, a team anchored by the superstars Rebecca Lobo and Teresa Weatherspoon and owned by Madison Square Garden. The night before the team’s first practice, Darsch, along with her assistant coach, athletic trainer and a volunteer equipment manager, sat with a black magic marker putting players’ numbers on white socks. The team barely had a practice court — they’d usually work out at a sports club — and no video system to make game tapes for studying... https://nyti.ms/2IQY65j

Glad to see the NYT finally memorialized Nancy Darsch. The story of the socks is a great piece of women's basketball history. Wink

bucks4now

PostPosted: 11/21/20 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In all due respect. the headline is a little misleading. Tara turned OSU into a powerhouse and Nancy maintained it for a while.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: