RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Queen’s Gambit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 11/02/20 11:51 am    ::: The Queen’s Gambit Reply Reply with quote

If anyone needs to hit the escape hatch on the next couple of days, this is the way to go. Another of the best things I’ve ever seen and I’d go as far as saying that it’s the best thing I’ve ever seen. Netflix. One too short but nonetheless perfect limited series run. Will seriously transport you to a place far far away.

Falsehood will fly on the wings of the wind, and carry its tales to every corner of the earth; whilst truth lags behind; her steps slow and solemn, she has neither the vigour nor activity to overtake her enemy. - Thomas Francklin
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/02/20 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendation. It's difficult to wade through all the junk on television now to find a gem.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/04/20 4:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, an unexpectedly excellent mini-series movie about an unexpectedly interesting subject. A female Paul Morphy-like or Bobby Fischer-like chess phenom arises out of an orphanage in Kentucky, but has to face down not only the indomitable Russian chess machine but also many personal and family demons. The lead actress may be a star someday.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/04/20 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love finding movies and mini-series about subjects unknown to me. Over the summer, I watched The Aeronauts on Amazon, which was about early hot air balloonists. The movie was good, but its subject was fascinating.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 11/04/20 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Yes, an unexpectedly excellent mini-series movie about an unexpectedly interesting subject. A female Paul Morphy-like or Bobby Fischer-like chess phenom arises out of an orphanage in Kentucky, but has to face down not only the indomitable Russian chess machine but also many personal and family demons. The lead actress may be a star someday.

We were talking about the casting a lot. Both the boarding school age and adult actresses playing the lead were just magnetic. The adult, Anya Taylor-Joy, not conventionally beautiful by a long shot, looks instead like an artist’s drawing of a comic book heroine. At times you felt like you were watching an animation.

Falsehood will fly on the wings of the wind, and carry its tales to every corner of the earth; whilst truth lags behind; her steps slow and solemn, she has neither the vigour nor activity to overtake her enemy. - Thomas Francklin
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/06/20 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In reading some reviews of the movie, I saw a link to a chess playing website. So I went there and, for the first time since I was a kid, began playing chess. It's just against the easiest level of the computer program, but I've been doing okay, learning a lot, and it's started to become addictive.
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 11/06/20 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
In reading some reviews of the movie, I saw a link to a chess playing website. So I went there and, for the first time since I was a kid, began playing chess. It's just against the easiest level of the computer program, but I've been doing okay, learning a lot, and it's started to become addictive.

There’s an app called Really Bad Chess. I’ve been playing two games a night as I go to sleep most every day for the last 4-5 years. It’s crazy and fun. Both sides start the game with a bunch of random pieces. Like four queens and six bishops, etc. Bishops in front. You have to be on the attack from your first move.

It’s very hard to play real chess after playing that for a while. I just suck at real chess. I had the chess openings book when I was younger. My mind will not forward focus like good chess demands. Something just doesn’t line up in my brain that way. But i do pretty well with this Really Bad Chess stuff.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 11/07/20 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m a Chess Expert. Here’s What ‘The Queen’s Gambit’ Gets Right

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/03/arts/television/chess-queens-gambit.html?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: