RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Las Vegas Aces 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 05/10/21 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad well at least she sounds positive. Even worse is that she will miss the Olympics.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/10/21 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so

C. Gray/
Plum/R. Williams
Young/(McCoughtry)
Wilson/Hamby
Cambage/Park

one spot for a guard Slocum or waiver wire (L. Allen, Mabrey, D. Richards or Odom, pulling a Swords with S. Rodgers, K. Williams, TY Young)

one wing/post Cannon, S. Thomas or wire (Holmes or Shook, Ulich, Gustafson, K. Brown, Thompson or Perry, Burdick)

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 05/11/21 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.ktnv.com/sports/watch-las-vegas-aces-press-conference-with-mark-davis?fbclid=IwAR1Lst2WbkxhBQlT-QeE1EsFnVX1pgjSXdVvWfk1MxI4wn-36Q4UrdwXG0k

Shades

PostPosted: 05/11/21 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That Mark Davis sounds like a generous owner.

1. He wants to start a Vegas alumni association made up of the players through the history of the franchise (Starzz, Silver Stars, Stars, and Aces). Includes health benefits? Shocked
2. Season ticket holders (2000) will be the only fans in attendance.
3. Season ticket holders will be refunded this year. Free attendance. Shocked
4. Claimed Laimbeer wanted one of his jobs or the other. He chose head coaching. Getting the same salary?
5. Nikki Fargas introduced as the new president of the Aces.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 05/27/21 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
canadaball

PostPosted: 05/11/21 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
That Mark Davis sounds like a generous owner.

1. He wants to start a Vegas alumni association made up of the players through the history of the franchise (Stars, Silver Stars, Stars, and Aces). Includes health benefits? Shocked
2. Season ticket holders (2000) will be the only fans in attendance.
3. Season ticket holders will be refunded this year. Free attendance. Shocked
4. Claimed Laimbeer wanted one of his jobs or the other. He chose head coaching. Getting the same salary?
5. Nikki Fargas introduced as the new president of the Aces.

Giving season ticket holders free tickets for the whole season is impressive. They still have costs of the arena, so this is at least a $2-3 million gift. We have never seen this kind of financial move in the WNBA.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/18/21 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is generous to STH but it sucks for other fans. Part of the reason for refunding is that STH are getting much worse seats than they paid for. Also I suspect that they are saving more money by not selling individual tickets than they would get in revenue from the limited number they could sell.

I understand their problem. My main concern is that their communication is so poor. It is a new regime with Mark Davis and Nikki Fargas so I hope this will improve, but communication with fans (of all kinds) is important and not using their website (even to announce their ticket policy) is bad form. I will still be rooting for the Aces, I just not in person.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/19/21 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be a risky move but I think LV should consider

cutting Slocum

and signing TY Young

If my math is right they could fit her vet minimum salary in and have a couple 100 dollars left over

Plum, Williams and Young can pretend to be a PG enough if need be behind Gray but if J. Young is gets in foul trouble Vegas pretty much has to go with a 3 guard line up (Gray is big enough to play some SF on defense might it feels like they need a little more than J. Young to replace McCoughtry).

If not TY Young they might want to look for someone who can play some SF and shoot the 3 maybe someone like Gorecki, Laksa, SWK (probably not really SF size but seems like a realistic pick up), A. Prince can A. Taylor shoot the 3? Burdick when PX has to cut her, probably too small but L. Brown? or use L. Brown as the back up/back up PG or Boyd

I assume they are going to be patient for now but I could see a team looking to win a ship make a move like this sooner or later Their 7 player rotation is probably good enough as long as no one gets injured but it looks like Cannon, Park and Slocum are not going to see a lot of playing time unless it is a blow out, or foul trouble. Even though in close games we probably will only see Wilson, Cambage and Hamby upfront I think he would still want two big bodies on the bench Park is developing in short I don't see Park or Cannon going anywhere, so if he wants more experience or someone he is more likely to trust in tight situations it might be a good idea to pick up someone with more experience especially considering how thin they are at SF. Also the difference in Slocum salary 61K and Park and Cannon's salary 58K is just enough that they couldn't add a vet minimum even with cutting Park or Cannon so while I don't think BL would even consider curing a post if the idea is to get some vet help at SF it won't make a difference if you cut Park or Cannon.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/19/21 1:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

cutting Slocum and signing TY Young ...

L. Brown? or use L. Brown as the back up/back up PG or Boyd

The part about cutting Slocum is risk-free, at least. With Plum due to miss several games, and now that we've seen the rotation shake out as it has, I think the Aces need to find a good veteran guard of some sort out there. Could be Lexie Brown, considering she can play defense and has a 3PT shot. I'd say though that it'd be someone Laimbeer already has coached/is familiar with, such as a Brittany Boyd(-Jones, assuming she'll become available again soon) or a Sydney Colson. I'd particularly love to see Colson with her personality back in the League tbh. Very Happy

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/19/21 3:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They could use 3pointshooters though and we all know that Young and Boyd cant shoot

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/19/21 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
They could use 3pointshooters though and we all know that Young and Boyd cant shoot

As much as they could use outside shooting, I'm skeptical that Laimbeer would prioritize it. Although, they have started out taking more 3s than they would've last year. 3-12 the first game, 6-15 the second game. Maybe he wants them to shoot something close to an average amount of 3PT shots now. Better personnel to do so this year than last year for sure.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/20/21 3:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

As much as they could use outside shooting, I'm skeptical that Laimbeer would prioritize it. Although, they have started out taking more 3s than they would've last year. 3-12 the first game, 6-15 the second game. Maybe he wants them to shoot something close to an average amount of 3PT shots now. Better personnel to do so this year than last year for sure.

With Cambage and Wilson inside now, there is no escaping it for Bill. Getting Gray and Williams helps because you get an extra shooter off the bench in Plum and 2 solid shooters on your starting 5. This is an more balanced team

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
willtalk

PostPosted: 05/20/21 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

cutting Slocum and signing TY Young ...

L. Brown? or use L. Brown as the back up/back up PG or Boyd

The part about cutting Slocum is risk-free, at least. With Plum due to miss several games, and now that we've seen the rotation shake out as it has, I think the Aces need to find a good veteran guard of some sort out there. Could be Lexie Brown, considering she can play defense and has a 3PT shot. I'd say though that it'd be someone Laimbeer already has coached/is familiar with, such as a Brittany Boyd(-Jones, assuming she'll become available again soon) or a Sydney Colson. I'd particularly love to see Colson with her personality back in the League tbh. Very Happy

I doubt they well cut Slocum because she is the GM' pet project and that is going to bit them in the butt. What they really needed was a better catch and shoot player. Slocum 3pt percentage wasn't that bad, but she is short and does not have a quick release. She usually got her shots off of whide open looks or using teammates screens off the dribble. Goodman would have been the ideal player for them. Her 3 pt percentage was close to 50 % and she has a very quick release. She is good at catch and shoot and off the dribble without needing sreens.

PostPosted: 05/20/21 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://aces.wnba.com/news/las-vegas-to-partner-with-mylvtv-to-televise-up-to-25-games-locally-in-2021/

LAS VEGAS (May 20, 2021)—The Las Vegas Aces and MyLVTV today announced a partnership to bring basketball fans 25 of the team’s 32 regular season games to local broadcast television, including 10 road games. The partnership formally tips off with the Aces’ home opener against the Los Angeles Sparks, scheduled for Friday, May 21 at 7:30 pm PT.

Fans of the Las Vegas Aces can watch the games on MyLVTV, available locally over the air (Channel 33.2), on COX (Channel 12), on Centurylink (Channel 21) and on DirecTV (Channel 21 and Dish Network (channel 21). In addition, all games will feature a 30-minute postgame show. All home games are broadcast from Michelob ULTRA Arena.

The games will also stream locally on iOS and Android devices through STIRR, Sinclair Broadcast Group’s free streaming app.

Anne Marie Anderson returns for her third season as the play-by-play announcer for the Aces. She is a multiple Emmy award winner who has worked in a wide variety of roles both behind and in front of the camera.

Over the course of her career she has covered six Olympic games, NBA Playoffs, the Super Bowl, Golf’s majors, MLB Playoffs, heavyweight title fights and big games in a variety of collegiate and professional sports.

Anderson has also worked as a studio host, and has written Olympic features for ESPN.com and ESPN The Magazine.

She is joined by former WNBA and 1999 NCAA Champion Head Coach Carolyn Peck as the team’s color analyst. Peck guided Purdue to the 1999 NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Championship, becoming the first African American woman to do so. The Boilermakers went 34-1 on the year, and won each of their tournament games by double digits.

Peck then went on to serve as the expansion Orlando Miracle’s general manager and head coach for the team’s first three seasons in the WNBA.

She returned to the collegiate ranks as head coach of the Florida Gators from 2002-07, and as an assistant coach with her alma mater, Vanderbilt, from 2016-18.

Peck first began working for ESPN in 2001, and over the past two decades, has covered men’s and women’s college basketball, and NBA and WNBA games for the network as a both an in-game and studio analyst. Fans most recently saw her working in studio at the 2021 NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Championship—her sixth time working the title game.

In addition to the Aces local television contract, the team has five games being broadcast on ABC this season, two on ESPN2, three on ESPN3, five on CBS SportsNetwork, two on Facebook, two on Amazon Prime, one on twitter and six on NBA TV.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/21/21 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's great news ... good work.

PostPosted: 05/21/21 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
That's great news ... good work.

agree...even if we have to put up with Peck. Hopefully she doesn't take up the role of Mary Murphy in this partnership. Anderson is ok with some partners, but horrible in combo with Murphy. Hoping for the best.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/26/21 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wxht4aFtGCo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxht4aFtGCo

PostPosted: 05/26/21 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would suggest putting this vid in the thread where the topic is being discussed. It is very illuminating IMO.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/26/21 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This would be a good landing spot for Kalani Brown imo. Laimbeer has always preferred centers with size & strength, and he has basically cut Cannon out of the rotation entirely even though she performed well on short notice in the playoffs last year, so he could probably cut her now at this point (or Park, if he doesn't like what he's getting out of her). With Plum still gone, he could even sign her to a hardship contract if she clears waivers (why he has opted not to sign anyone thus far while Plum has been away is a bit of a head-scratcher).

AFO

PostPosted: 05/27/21 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Saving cap space. Keeping options open. Do the math.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/27/21 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Surprised So you are seriously considering bringing her aboard – either sooner or later, assuming she's available. Good on you. Wink It'd be a good fit for both parties, is all I'm sayin'!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/27/21 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To Mr. AFO's point, those hardship contracts count on the cap even though they allow you to go over it. So if you're a team already at the cap, it basically makes no difference (beyond your owner's bank account). But if you're a team with at least a little space left and hopes to do something with it later on - and don't feel like adding another bench player to go from 9 to 10 would do much for you - then it's reasonable to just not apply for the hardship. Especially when you've got one or two people in your front office staff who can probably be that tenth player in practice if necessary... Wink

PostPosted: 05/27/21 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Especially when you've got one or two people in your front office staff who can probably be that tenth player in practice if necessary... Wink

I'm afraid my best playing days are behind me.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 05/27/21 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Especially when you've got one or two people in your front office staff who can probably be that tenth player in practice if necessary... ;)

ChasingRatDogmaSalade = Carolyn Swords, confirmed?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Queenie

PostPosted: 05/27/21 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Especially when you've got one or two people in your front office staff who can probably be that tenth player in practice if necessary... Wink

*cackles with laughter*

(now with spelling variations)
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/27/21 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

*cackles with laughter*

Nikki Fargas?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: