View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 02/16/21 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FWIW Cambage is in LA hanging out with Chiney Ogwumike

PostPosted: 02/17/21 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mark Davis excited for 'synergy' between Las Vegas Aces, Las Vegas Raiders
Mechelle Voepel (ESPN)
February 17, 2021

New Las Vegas Aces owner Mark Davis said he sees opportunities for "synergy" between the WNBA franchise and the NFL's Las Vegas Raiders, both from a sports standpoint and in regard to social justice issues and progress with diversity.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/30919876/mark-davis-excited-synergy-las-vegas-aces-las-vegas-raiders

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/18/21 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So they will play at MGM this year ... good news, I think.

Also, Davis' apparent connection with Bill Laimbeer echoes his relationship with Jon Gruden (10-year contract) so that adds another layer of stability. If Davis can absorb a million or two in losses most years, this should be a winning combination.

PostPosted: 02/18/21 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Mechelle Voepel (ESPN)
February 17, 2021

New Las Vegas Aces owner Mark Davis said he sees opportunities for "synergy" between the WNBA franchise and the NFL's Las Vegas Raiders, both from a sports standpoint and in regard to social justice issues and progress with diversity.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/30919876/mark-davis-excited-synergy-las-vegas-aces-las-vegas-raiders

Quote:
"It's a great facility," Davis said. "We're looking to do what's best for the organization. The venue you play in is very important to your local economy. MGM controls most of those fixed assets, such as naming rights, the sponsorships that go 365 days a year. We're going to need those revenue streams to build the coffers of the Aces.

I don't know why he mentions naming rights, which I only associate with the arena, unless that is with regard to trying to get them via his own arena. But it would be odd if MGM was still getting Las Vegas Aces sponsor money which that quote seems to suggest. But there may be "arena sponsors" who pay MGM to have their name at any events, whether an Aces game or not.

He says they are considering:
* renegotiating their Mandalay Bay lease after current agreement expires this year
* leasing from someone else
* building an arena

They are planning on building an Aces training (and office space) facility in Henderson (19 min drive from Vegas). If he is seriously considering building an arena he should go check out the Mystics facility and think about a Vegas training facility/arena.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 02/18/21 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Mechelle Voepel (ESPN)
February 17, 2021

Quote:
"It's a great facility," Davis said. "We're looking to do what's best for the organization. The venue you play in is very important to your local economy. MGM controls most of those fixed assets, such as naming rights, the sponsorships that go 365 days a year. We're going to need those revenue streams to build the coffers of the Aces.

I don't know why he mentions naming rights, which I only associate with the arena, unless that is with regard to trying to get them via his own arena. But it would be odd if MGM was still getting Las Vegas Aces sponsor money which that quote seems to suggest. But there may be "arena sponsors" who pay MGM to have their name at any events, whether an Aces game or not.

He says they are considering:
* renegotiating their Mandalay Bay lease after current agreement expires this year
* leasing from someone else
* building an arena

They are planning on building an Aces training (and office space) facility in Henderson (19 min drive from Vegas). If he is seriously considering building an arena he should go check out the Mystics facility and think about a Vegas training facility/arena.

He seems keen on collecting as much revenue for himself as possible. If he were to build a (hopefully) larger version of the Mystics facility, perhaps he could host summer league games to bring in extra revenue.

tfan

PostPosted: 02/21/21 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Six second video of Cambage working a move on a guy.

https://twitter.com/LVAces/status/1363273954916372482

pilight

PostPosted: 03/03/21 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mom's Work

From Executive Producer Angel McCoughtry

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fnNCnhuHwos" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 03/09/21 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.8newsnow.com/sports/local-sports/las-vegas-aces-vp-of-business-operations-talks-making-it-happen-in-sports-business-worlds/

Shades

PostPosted: 03/09/21 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allow="autoplay; fullscreen" src="https://w3.cdn.anvato.net/player/prod/v3/anvload.html?key=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%3D%3D" width ="640" height="360"></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/09/21 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there any reason you directly embedded the video that Vegas's PR guy linked in the post directly above yours?

PostPosted: 03/10/21 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Is there any reason you directly embedded the video that Vegas's PR guy linked in the post directly above yours?

More importantly, when is the Vegas PR guy going to finally learn how to embed video into the board, rather than just cutting and pasting the url?

Very Happy

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/10/21 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
Queenie wrote:

More importantly, when is the Vegas PR guy going to finally learn how to embed video into the board, rather than just cutting and pasting the url?

Very Happy

Those of us who've worked with PR guys know what the issue is ...

PostPosted: 03/11/21 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Very Happy

Honestly, I prefer video not to be embedded, because embedded video breaks the screen when I'm not logged in or if I'm trying to respond to a post. I like having the choice to go to a video as opposed to having it shoved in my face.

PostPosted: 03/11/21 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Very Happy

Honestly, I prefer video not to be embedded, because embedded video breaks the screen when I'm not logged in or if I'm trying to respond to a post. I like having the choice to go to a video as opposed to having it shoved in my face.

agree. It's also a problem for me because of limited bandwidth though I know that's not common issue for all you city folks.

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 03/12/21 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://aces.wnba.com/news/las-vegas-re-signs-three-time-all-star-center-liz-cambage/

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/12/21 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

woo, woo! Congrats!

Shades

PostPosted: 03/12/21 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“We’re excited to have Liz back in an Aces uniform,” said Aces Head Coach Bill Laimbeer. “Two years ago [in Cambage’s first year in Las Vegas] we made great strides towards becoming a championship ballclub. Last season, we continued along that journey but came up short. With Liz coming back, along with our other returnees and additions made this offseason in free agency, we are all committed to take another run at a championship and can’t wait to get started.”

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/12/21 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hooray!

I know in the past I have made the suggestion that the Aces might not work as well with both Wilson and Cambage on the floor, but I retract that. I think the Aces will kill it this season. As long as everyone is healthy their 7-8 deep tightened rotation is probably the most talented in the league

Gray/pick 12 or 14
Plum/Williams
McCoughtry/Young
Wilson/Hamby/pick 12 or 14
Cambage/Cannon or Park?[/b]

Randy

PostPosted: 03/12/21 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They look really strong and pretty deep. Just need a backup 5, which they can probably get from the draft or the waiver wire. Someone will be out there for sure. Or bring Swords back for her farewell tour..... Very Happy

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/12/21 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is literally no excuse for Angel “Charles Barkley” McCoughtry to not win a title this year.

PostPosted: 03/12/21 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Hooray!

I know in the past I have made the suggestion that the Aces might not work as well with both Wilson and Cambage on the floor, but I retract that. I think the Aces will kill it this season. As long as everyone is healthy their 7-8 deep tightened rotation is probably the most talented in the league

Gray/pick 12 or 14
Plum/Williams
McCoughtry/Young
Wilson/Hamby/pick 12 or 14
Cambage/Cannon or Park?[/b]

The Aces are the best team on paper.

PostPosted: 03/12/21 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have you done the math, Spooner?

Can they afford 11 or 12 players?

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/12/21 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm assuming they can only afford 11 and probably only a non-vet baby...so whoever they get at 12 and 14 would fight it out for the last spot.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/12/21 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here, have the bit of my upcoming article about everyone's cap situation that I'm going to have to re-write anyway since Cambage signed (obviously this changes somewhat if Cambage signed for less than the full supermax):

Quote:
Essentially the only high-priced player in the league who remains unsigned means that the Aces either have lots of cap space, or practically none. Coring Liz Cambage meant that by rule they had to keep room for her supermax qualifying offer ($221,450). They don't technically have to do that any more (qualifying offers expired on March 7, even though the rights they establish continue regardless), but are presumably still hoping that she'll sign and show up to play in 2021 and will pay her the supermax anyway. Assuming that happens, this will be an 11-player roster and the final three players will need to be cheap. They have room for one of those three to be either a veteran minimum ($70,040) or their first-round pick ($64,375), and then the other two would need to be on the base minimum ($58,710). JiSu Park and Emma Cannon are both currently signed for that rock-bottom figure, but there's inevitably some doubt about Park playing in the WNBA in an Olympic year.

PostPosted: 03/13/21 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Have you done the math, Spooner?

Can they afford 11 or 12 players?

I have them at 11
let's fill in the draft picks and assume Park is out because of the Olympics

Gray/(Pick 12/14) DiDi Richards
Plum/Williams
McCoughtry/J. Young
Wilson/Hamby/(other pick 12/14) N. Jones or Thompson (or Walker if she falls far enough)
Cambage/Cannon

So Cannon, first round pick 12 and 2nd round pick 14 should get it under the cap

When the rotation gets tighter Wilson can play the 5 when Cambage is off the court.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: