RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/15/21 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I wonder what management knew when? and how much of the new roster was intentional or a reaction to their cap situation? Or possibly other things going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of.

Losing both Howard and Clark looks even weirder in the rearview mirror of both Langhorne and Tuck retiring? Surely Seattle could have opted to go with 11 and paid at least one of Howard or Clark.

I dont know if it was about money for both of them.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/15/21 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Funny that in the end they didn't actually have to cut Langhorne or Tuck, after all the time we spent talking about it.

I mean, for all we know, they were gently encouraged to jump before they could be pushed.

PostPosted: 03/15/21 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Morgan Tuck retiring.

Someone put the camera on Stormeo..

Mr. Green

I’ll say what I said on WBBDaily: I’m happy for her that she’s bowing out graciously. She got her one title, and Connecticut at least got to trade her away for something instead of outright cutting her. Is she one of the biggest lottery-pick busts? Yes. Have we seen bigger busts taken #3 overall? Also yes. (Namely one Evelyn Akhator) Were the odds likely she’d even make the team this year? No. So in my mind, everyone somehow wins, and everyone gets to move forward. Smile I too will be gracious in celebrating this W. Happy retirement, Morgan! Very Happy

Shades

PostPosted: 03/15/21 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Bird/Canada
Loyd/Prince
KLS/MHH
Dupree/Magbegor
Stewart/Russell

Spooner, this is what I got.
Bird/Canada
Loyd/Prince
Stewart/KLS
Dupree/Herbert Harrigan
Russell/Magbegor

If they can get a good developmental PG at #11, do it.
Do they like Slocum in Seattle?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 03/15/21 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 03/15/21 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/15/21 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Bird/Canada
Loyd/Prince
KLS/MHH
Dupree/Magbegor
Stewart/Russell

Bird/Canada
Loyd/Prince
Stewart/KLS
Dupree/Herbert Harrigan
Russell/Magbegor

That is an interesting spin on it for sure

at 11 Slocum seems possible, I am seeing Westbrook in that spot (Of Course unless Reeves decides to go UConn three years in a row).

I could also see them forgo a draft pick all together (defer with Heal or one of the French players) and go with more experience with Young and Talbot.

It doesn't make as much sense with your spin on the line up but if you go more traditional you end up with

Bird/Canada/(Prince)
Loyd/Prince/Young
Talbot/KLS
Stewart/Dupree/MHH
Russell/Magbegor

Prince becomes your 3rd PG in a pinch.
Talbot becomes the poor man version of Clark
I wonder if in this stage in her career Dupree would be open to coming off the bench, if so Russell or Magbegor can move into the starting line up and Dupree's offense can lead the 2nd unit when Stewart is off the floor.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/15/21 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t think they gave Dupree the third highest salary on the team to play 10 minutes a game behind Stewart. She’s still starter quality.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/16/21 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Bird/Canada
Loyd/Prince
Stewart/KLS
Dupree/Herbert Harrigan
Russell/Magbegor

Stewart at 3 is a concept that's probably worth exploring at this point. Again, sort of. Hughes did try doing it when he first got to Seattle and we had acquired Howard, with Langhorne in the middle. Russell thankfully is an actual 5, so it would be much different this time. If that's the direction we're planning on going in, I'd rather see us draft a post at 11 since Dupree is only signed for this year & Mad Kiki is far from proven.

Still, I'd rather just see Peanuts thrown into the fire with a starting spot, since we clearly valued her enough to merit such a role. So then, I would be all for Slocum at 11. Still thinking it'll be Shyla Heal as a deferral pick though. Kiana Williams is also someone we would probably go after... Confused

craigmont

PostPosted: 03/16/21 2:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Bird/Canada
Loyd/Prince
KLS/MHH
Dupree/Magbegor
Stewart/Russell

Bird/Canada
Loyd/Prince
Stewart/KLS
Dupree/Herbert Harrigan
Russell/Magbegor

I like your lineup if we can get Dupree to play some defense (dreaming, I know....)

Shades

PostPosted: 03/16/21 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know the front office keeps an eye on overseas performances, or else they wouldn’t have traded the #1 pick for KLS and a future pick. So if they’ve been keeping an eye on Laksa, maybe they’ve noticed free agent Glory Johnson? Seattle is about the only remaining viable spot left for Johnson.

Box score from 3/10/2021 game.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/16/21 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It looks like Stewart plays the SF with UMMC. She plays with Griner and Vadeeva out there. Offensively her game is very perimeter. She’s always a threat to hit from three. If she can get her defender to leave her feet or guard her too tightly, then she’s capable of driving to the basket from the three point line. Defensively she has the length to bother shooters and adequate quickness to keep up with them.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z6GiNb4vGKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/16/21 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another thing about playing Stewart at the 3: I don’t think we acquired (dramatically in some cases) all those SFs just so they could compete for one, maybe two spots behind Stewart. IMO there’s more evidence that Stewart will stay at the 4, rather than move to the 3. I see it more like this:

PG: Bird/Canada
SG: Loyd/Prince/Laksa or a 2021 Draft pick (or Gorecki I guess)
SF: Samuelson/Talbot or Young
PF: Stewart/Dupree/Herbert Harrigan
C: Russell/Magbegor

Dupree has acknowledged she’s in the twilight of her career, so I tend to foresee her accepting a bench role; though I think she still gets her minutes, particularly if Magbegor stays overseas until after the Olympics – and if Stewart is played at the 3 in certain lineups.

I wonder if Mad Kiki is viewed as more of a 4 or a 3 within the Storm org. Didn’t she play some 3 for the Lynx last year, or am I imagining things? She’s kind of that dreaded tweener height & build... Confused

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/16/21 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Another thing about playing Stewart at the 3: I don’t think we acquired (dramatically in some cases) all those SFs just so they could compete for one, maybe two spots behind Stewart. IMO there’s more evidence that Stewart will stay at the 4, rather than move to the 3. I see it more like this:

Dupree has acknowledged she’s in the twilight of her career, so I tend to foresee her accepting a bench role; though I think she still gets her minutes, particularly if Magbegor stays overseas until after the Olympics – and if Stewart is played at the 3 in certain lineups.

I wonder if Mad Kiki is viewed as more of a 4 or a 3 within the Storm org. Didn’t she play some 3 for the Lynx last year, or am I imagining things? She’s kind of that dreaded tweener height & build... Confused

Most of the possessions from this clip griner is not on the floor. Stewie at 3 seems skeptical . She utilizes her tools best at 4.

PostPosted: 03/17/21 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

To the extent it was about money, I'd speculate it was much more about 2022 and dealing with raises for Canada/Lloyd/Stewart/Russell if retained than 2021.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/17/21 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TDAO wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

To the extent it was about money, I'd speculate it was much more about 2022 and dealing with raises for Canada/Lloyd/Stewart/Russell if retained than 2021.

What do you think of a Loyd for Slooty trade if Slooty wants to go to SEA?
I figure something’s gotta give over in CHI next year with all their 2018 grads seeking more money next year. Got a feeling Slooty may wanna go if Quigley isn’t retained in CHI.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/17/21 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
TDAO wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

I figure something’s gotta give over in CHI next year with all their 2018 grads seeking more money next year. Got a feeling Slooty may wanna go if Quigley isn’t retained in CHI.

This is actually very realistic for both sides . Lloyd from the Chicago area along with Slooty from the NW area of Washington . If I were VV id go for it , Although if Chicago has not found a back up by then i doubt they budge. Wade is no fool and Slooty is there franchise player even with Candace imo .

PostPosted: 03/17/21 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Russell has shown she can be good in certain situations against certain lineups. I don't see her as your 30 min/game starting center. JMO

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/17/21 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
TDAO wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

This is actually very realistic for both sides . Lloyd from the Chicago area along with Slooty from the NW area of Washington . If I were VV id go for it , Although if Chicago has not found a back up by then i doubt they budge. Wade is no fool and Slooty is there franchise player even with Candace imo .

The five-year age difference (27 to 32) is more than a little problematic.

PostPosted: 03/17/21 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Russell has shown she can be good in certain situations against certain lineups. I don't see her as your 30 min/game starting center. JMO

Russell was at her best in 2019 as our starting center, where she averaged 25 min/game. She wasn't as effective off the bench in limited minutes this past season. But now, Russell could probably play closer to 20-25 min/game as the starter again, with Magbegor getting the rest of the center minutes. Should work out fine imo.

ClayK wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

This is actually very realistic for both sides . Loyd from the Chicago area along with Slooty from the NW area of Washington . If I were VV id go for it , Although if Chicago has not found a back up by then i doubt they budge. Wade is no fool and Slooty is there franchise player even with Candace imo .

The five-year age difference (27 to 32) is more than a little problematic.

I agree with Clay. Plus, they don't play the same position. How would Chicago replace Slooty at the PG spot? Plus plus, they're both scheduled to be UFAs next season, which makes a trade even more complicated unless they're both either cored or want supermax money from their new team. Candace Parker & Chelsea Gray both walked for $190k – assuming Loyd & Slooty don't get cored (if Slooty's even able to be), why wouldn't they walk as well for potentially 2022's regular max salary of $196k?

Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/17/21 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Most of the possessions from this clip griner is not on the floor. Stewie at 3 seems skeptical . She utilizes her tools best at 4.

UMMC has Meesseman and JJ thatplay minutes at the 4 position aswell and Griner and Vadeeva taking minutes at the 5. So for them its a luxery that Stewie can play on the perimeter aswell so that they can go with their insane big line up.

Might be the biggest starting 5 that i have ever seen. Torrens at 6"3 playing the 2.
Does anyone know whySloot and Allie didnt play?

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/17/21 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

UMMC has Meesseman and JJ thatplay minutes at the 4 position aswell and Griner and Vadeeva taking minutes at the 5. So for them its a luxery that Stewie can play on the perimeter aswell so that they can go with their insane big line up.
I can see Stewie playing minutes at SF but hopefully not more then 10 min per game. She is best at the 4 spot

Might be the biggest starting 5 that i have ever seen. Torrens at 6"3 playing the 2.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/17/21 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Russell was at her best in 2019 as our starting center, where she averaged 25 min/game. She wasn't as effective off the bench in limited minutes this past season. But now, Russell could probably play closer to 20-25 min/game as the starter again, with Magbegor getting the rest of the center minutes. Should work out fine imo.

yeah, her best numbers: 7 pts, 6 rebs... is that really what you want from a starter?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/17/21 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:

yeah, her best numbers: 7 pts, 6 rebs... is that really what you want from a starter?

Howard didn’t average a whole lot more than that last season – not even double-figure scoring. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Scoring in general hasn’t been an issue for the Storm for several years now. AFAIC, Russell just needs to hit her shots at a good clip & play good defense. If it really doesn’t work out, she & Magbegor can trade places.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 03/17/21 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
[

Quigley was dressed, not sure why she didnt play. I did not see Sloot on the bench or in any huddles.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/17/21 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:

One person's garbage is another person's treasure.🤑

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 14 of 26

Jump to: