Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/10/21 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
unless Talbot sits out again (whyyyyyyyyy oh whyyyyyyyy did we give up Whitcomb just for her).

Shocked

Is a 32 year old bench player worth more than a 26 year old bench player?

Whitcomb is a more talented shooter than Talbot, being able to catch-and-shoot as well as shoot off the dribble – not to mention her quick release that helps with both of that. That's what her role was, and because Talbot's mostly just a shooter in this League anyway, that'll likely be her role as well. Defensively, I can see why Talbot would be considered better, but I say it's a wash.

And while Talbot is younger and has more time, this is technically Talbot's 4th team. There's only so many chances one can get before they just don't show anything. Yes, I know that Talbot was voted MVP in the WNBL this past season. But does anyone think that'll translate to this League? Has she gotten better since we saw her play in 2019? I suppose we could soon find out, assuming she shows up.

I did suggest Talbot as a trade target, but as a piece in a theoretical (now real) Howard trade. I wanted her, but not like this. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 02/10/21 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
unless Talbot sits out again (whyyyyyyyyy oh whyyyyyyyy did we give up Whitcomb just for her).

Shocked

Um Talbot maybe wouldnt even made the Liberty s roster. I dont care about age. Sami is a better player then Talbot. Only positive is that Talbot is a true SF while Sami is a SG and Talbot can defend bigger perimeter players while Sami can not.

I know you don’t care about age, but just because you don’t care about it doesn’t mean other teams/GMs don’t care..

#NATC

PostPosted: 02/10/21 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Shocked

Whitcomb is a more talented shooter than Talbot, being able to catch-and-shoot as well as shoot off the dribble – not to mention her quick release that helps with both of that. That's what her role was, and because Talbot's mostly just a shooter in this League anyway, that'll likely be her role as well. Defensively, I can see why Talbot would be considered better, but I say it's a wash.

And while Talbot is younger and has more time, this is technically Talbot's 4th team. There's only so many chances one can get before they just don't show anything. Yes, I know that Talbot was voted MVP in the WNBL this past season. But does anyone think that'll translate to this League? Has she gotten better since we saw her play in 2019? I suppose we could soon find out, assuming she shows up.

I did suggest Talbot as a trade target, but as a piece in a theoretical (now real) Howard trade. I wanted her, but not like this. Rolling Eyes

So who do you think the Storm could’ve realistically got that was better than Talbot, keeping in mind the leverage is somewhat lost when you place a player on the market?

PostPosted: 02/10/21 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
So who do you think the Storm could’ve realistically got that was better than Talbot, keeping in mind the leverage is somewhat lost when you place a player on the market?

Definitely one of the Liberty's 2nd-year wings – Jones, Odom, Willoughby. Players with imo better potential on both sides of the ball. I can already envision both Talbot and Samuelson doing nothing but making 3s at a maybe-35% clip. Which would've been fine if we had gotten another wing to complement one of them with more two-way potential.

PostPosted: 02/10/21 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
The good: well, you've done a major salary dump.

Now Bird can get that supermax contract that her manic fans insist she get. Don’t want Bird living in poverty with only $190K contract.

myrtle wrote:
The bad: you've lost Clark and Howard (and less important, but still important - Whitcomb)

Certain SEA fans have always wanted Howard to be traded ever since those fake DV charges. Be careful what you want.

If SEA would have gotten this trade done sooner, maybe they could have kept Clark. Oh well. Can’t expect perfection, can we? Too much critical analysis gets mischaracterized as “abuse” by those that aren’t very good at critical analysis.

myrtle wrote:
The ugly: you've gotten not much in exchange.

That could be my fault. Did you see this post? Wink
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=98353&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=142

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Force10rulz

PostPosted: 02/10/21 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, just wow, not sure how happy I am about all this. There goes our defense.

Last edited by Force10rulz on 02/10/21 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michelle89

PostPosted: 02/10/21 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Shocked

Kia Nurse

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/10/21 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Definitely one of the Liberty's 2nd-year wings – Jones, Odom, Willoughby.

I can respect that.

Michelle89 wrote:
Kia Nurse

Nurse was involved in a trade for two first round picks in consecutive years, Whitcomb is not netting you Nurse.

PostPosted: 02/10/21 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

If Birdy has a healthy year (where she only misses games due to rest), I do think she'll come back in 2022 just to retire in front of us fans. The pandemic I think has messed with her timeline, but at least she has proved she can keep up her abilities to pass & shoot during the offseason.

so you are thinking this year will be in a bubble again?

- Amanda Gorman
Michelle89

PostPosted: 02/10/21 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Definitely one of the Liberty's 2nd-year wings – Jones, Odom, Willoughby.

I can respect that.

Michelle89 wrote:
Kia Nurse

Nurse was involved in a trade for two first round picks in consecutive years, Whitcomb is not netting you Nurse.

I was talking about getting Nurse in the original trade with the Liberty

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/10/21 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
I was talking about getting Nurse in the original trade with the Liberty

Ahh okay, I was talking about Whitcomb.

PostPosted: 02/10/21 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

If Birdy has a healthy year (where she only misses games due to rest), I do think she'll come back in 2022 just to retire in front of us fans. The pandemic I think has messed with her timeline, but at least she has proved she can keep up her abilities to pass & shoot during the offseason.

so you are thinking this year will be in a bubble again?

With the covid variants and the seeming lack of vaccine effectiveness against them so far, I think so. At the very least, I don't see fans being allowed into the games even if the teams later on get to play in their home arenas.

PostPosted: 02/10/21 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what the hell?? didn't see this coming... Sad

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/10/21 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The 2021 Seattle Storm are not a team to be feared anymore. They still will be a quality team that will make the playoffs. But, this current iteration will not put the fear of God to any WNBA squad.

PostPosted: 02/11/21 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tuck might be the (I forgot her name, she played for Seattle, was a great teammate, practice player, and friends with everyone on the team, and was meh in games, but always seemed to hang onto that last roster spot) Robinson? of the 2021 Storm.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/11/21 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Tuck might be the (I forgot her name, she played for Seattle, was a great teammate, practice player, and friends with everyone on the team, and was meh in games, but always seemed to hang onto that last roster spot) Robinson? of the 2021 Storm.

You're probably thinking of Ashley Robinson. While all that is true, and there were times she probably should've been cut, she played a position of scarcity (center, which seemed much scarcer than they are nowadays) and was very much a defense-oriented player – and one that could stay healthy, if my memory serves me right. A lot easier to keep players like that back then, too, as it pertains to the salary numbers. I don't think we'll see an ARob type of player who can ride the bench for several years like that anymore.

PostPosted: 02/11/21 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Storm signs Stephanie Talbot, Tamera Young

PostPosted: 02/11/21 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Storm signs Stephanie Talbot, Tamera Young

Well by golly, I think we just found our starting SF! Welcome back to the League... both of you. Laughing

Now we have Samuelson, Talbot, and Young manning the 3. I guess this means Laksa will be used primarily at the 2 if she survives the cut, Herbert Harrigan primarily at the 4, and maybe we'll actually have to cut Tuck now? And I'm guessing our 1st-rounder will 100% be a deferral pick now (it was pretty much at like 98% certainty even before these signings though).

PostPosted: 02/11/21 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, you got your defender at SF anyway. Since Stewie, Bird, and Loyd can all shoot the three, this may be a perfect place for T.Young.

- Amanda Gorman
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/11/21 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
and maybe we'll actually have to cut Tuck now?

Yup, Tuck or Prince definitely have to come off the books before they re-sign Bird.

Actually, I take that back.

Quote:
@ariivory

Per @seattlestorm release: the team has signed Stephanie Talbot and Tamera “Ty” Young to training camp contracts.

Last edited by mavcarter on 02/11/21 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/11/21 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
well, you got your defender at SF anyway. Since Stewie, Bird, and Loyd can all shoot the three, this may be a perfect place for T.Young.

It's great!! But also terribly depressing!! Cuz with these signings, why the hell did we need to trade that #1 Pick away for Samuelson. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 02/11/21 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please cut KLS so we can quit hearing about this pompous entitled brat.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 02/11/21 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Please cut KLS so we can quit hearing about this pompous entitled brat.

I thought I was the only one who felt this way😎

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/11/21 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Quote:
@ariivory

Per @seattlestorm release: the team has signed Stephanie Talbot and Tamera “Ty” Young to training camp contracts.

Hmm... That also means they’re super cheap. So long as there still is a training camp to prove what they can do, I would think one if not both of them can still make the roster.

PostPosted: 02/11/21 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It does however make Seattle look crazy for trading the #1 pick because this works great IMO

Bird/Canada
Loyd/Prince
Young/Talbot
Stewart/Dupree/#1 pick
Russel/Magbegor

and depending on what money is left Tuck, Laksa or #11 (Dungee, Slocum, Westbrook, Heal, Mangakahia, Carrington, K. Williams)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: