80%  [ 21 ]
Aces
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 26

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/03/20 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Things I noticed/concluded upon re-watching the game:
    How easily Loyd was able to get into the paint – meaning how much more respected her outside shot has gotten by opponents (or at least this one).

The Swords offensive glass-hitting strategy being more or less scrapped after the early parts of the game despite yielding results early on.

Young guarding Stewart in the 4th was possibly to induce Stewart into taking slower shots, such those fadeaway jumpers that are hit-or-miss for any player including her, such that the defense has more time to get itself set (such as choosing to bring the double or not).

How many statistically anomalous events there were – Bird's Slooty-esque assist count, Clark's inefficiency, Vegas (particularly McCoughtry) being great outside the arc but awful inside, and both Stewart and Loyd hitting damn near everything in the same game. I expect several of those things to regress back to the mean starting in Game 2, maybe other than McCoughtry hitting shots no matter whose hand is – or isn't – in her face (good luck, Alysha Clark).

I thought Howard was starting to find her groove (and get in better shape) later in the regular season, but she's sort of still not what she was in 2018 within the offensive & defensive schemes. And as long as Stewart's around, she'll never be what she was in 2019 when she stepped up and became the go-to player. But she's always making hustle plays, and though she has deferred to Stewart the whole season, that concept has largely been working out – so long as Stewart's not having a bad game that day.

Stewart being the one that first recruited Prince onto this team. I've already given Hughes most of the credit for the concept of bringing in Howard, and now I'll be giving Stewie most of the credit for bringing in Prince (who at least has made herself useful this year, unlike other teammates brought in). So I'd like to know which positive, non-obvious move(s) the Storm has made in the past 5 years I can give Valavanis most of the credit for (doesn't even have to be all of it). And that's all I have to say about that.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/03/20 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

maybe you can give Valvanis credit for stepping back and letting people who know what they are doing make those decisions. One of the traits of a good CEO...

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/03/20 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
maybe you can give Valavanis credit for stepping back and letting people who know what they are doing make those decisions. One of the traits of a good CEO...

That's a fair point. And looking back, she seemed to fire Boucek at the right time, she hired/helped hire Hughes, and she at the very least didn't seem to publicly worsen Howard's domestic-violence situation. The heart of my disdain for her revolves around the roster moves. I haven't seen proof that she herself had initiated, and thus can initiate a successful trade or a successful non-obvious draft selection. The free agent moves have also left much to be desired, though not as badly. Things have worked out since Birdy chose to finish out her career here years ago, and we completely lucked into getting Loyd and Stewart where they're now at the top of their games. What I perceive as her weakness as a GM when it comes to roster moves could very well hurt us when she needs to be at her savviest one day. Though I'll be the first to admit that I have a hard time living in the moment and enjoying how things are in present-day (especially nowadays)… Some things just don't need to be worried about until they do.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/03/20 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Things I noticed/concluded upon re-watching the game:
    How easily Loyd was able to get into the paint – meaning how much more respected her outside shot has gotten by opponents (or at least this one).

The Swords offensive glass-hitting strategy being more or less scrapped after the early parts of the game despite yielding results early on.

Young guarding Stewart in the 4th was possibly to induce Stewart into taking slower shots, such those fadeaway jumpers that are hit-or-miss for any player including her, such that the defense has more time to get itself set (such as choosing to bring the double or not).

How many statistically anomalous events there were – Bird's Slooty-esque assist count, Clark's inefficiency, Vegas (particularly McCoughtry) being great outside the arc but awful inside, and both Stewart and Loyd hitting damn near everything in the same game. I expect several of those things to regress back to the mean starting in Game 2, maybe other than McCoughtry hitting shots no matter whose hand is – or isn't – in her face (good luck, Alysha Clark).

I thought Howard was starting to find her groove (and get in better shape) later in the regular season, but she's sort of still not what she was in 2018 within the offensive & defensive schemes. And as long as Stewart's around, she'll never be what she was in 2019 when she stepped up and became the go-to player. But she's always making hustle plays, and though she has deferred to Stewart the whole season, that concept has largely been working out – so long as Stewart's not having a bad game that day.

Stewart being the one that first recruited Prince onto this team. I've already given Hughes most of the credit for the concept of bringing in Howard, and now I'll be giving Stewie most of the credit for bringing in Prince (who at least has made herself useful this year, unlike other teammates brought in). So I'd like to know which positive, non-obvious move(s) the Storm has made in the past 5 years I can give Valavanis most of the credit for (doesn't even have to be all of it). And that's all I have to say about that.

Things that I noticed...

How much the Aces roster deficiencies have been exposed...

How many times the announcers say the Aces "identity" this season is its bench, when its bench without Hamby truly sucks. Other than an inconsistent Young, who's averaged 7.8 ppg on 32.7% shooting this post-season, the cadre of Allen, Rodgers, Cannon, and Burdick are collectively averaging 4.3 ppg.

How much Cambage and Plum are missed. Their absence wasn't a problem during the regular season but the roster issues are glaring against Seattle.

How long it takes Bill to call a T/O. He lets the players dig themselves a 15 point hole before trying to stop the bleeding. This team doesn't have the depth to overcome these deficits with no bench, particularly 2 or 3 holes in a single game.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/04/20 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For the record, Dearica Hamby played the second-most minutes on the team -- she was a bench player in name only, and her stats are the reason for the "importance" of the bench.

PostPosted: 10/04/20 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
For the record, Dearica Hamby played the second-most minutes on the team -- she was a bench player in name only, and her stats are the reason for the "importance" of the bench.

Ditto for DRob.

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/05/20 2:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:
maybe you can give Valavanis credit for stepping back and letting people who know what they are doing make those decisions. One of the traits of a good CEO...

That's a fair point. And looking back, she seemed to fire Boucek at the right time, she hired/helped hire Hughes, and she at the very least didn't seem to publicly worsen Howard's domestic-violence situation. The heart of my disdain for her revolves around the roster moves. I haven't seen proof that she herself had initiated, and thus can initiate a successful trade or a successful non-obvious draft selection. The free agent moves have also left much to be desired, though not as badly. Things have worked out since Birdy chose to finish out her career here years ago, and we completely lucked into getting Loyd and Stewart where they're now at the top of their games. What I perceive as her weakness as a GM when it comes to roster moves could very well hurt us when she needs to be at her savviest one day. Though I'll be the first to admit that I have a hard time living in the moment and enjoying how things are in present-day (especially nowadays)… Some things just don't need to be worried about until they do.

I don’t quite understand the distain for the Storm’s front office, you reference Breanna Stewart and Dan Hughes being responsible for some roster moves, but the front office made it work to bring those players in. And it has been evident when teams try to bring in “big” free agents that don’t fit with the team, or are not players the coaches wants or mesh well with the current team and that season ends in “disappointment” compared to the hype. In my opinion the coaches/front office/key players should be all on the same page, and based on how you describe the situation to be they are all on the same page, why would you want the front office initiating a trade or going after a free agent the coaches don’t want/support/sign off on or key players on your team don’t want, that’s just a recipe for disaster.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: