RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Connecticut Sun 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 06/18/21 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sun are missing a player to take it all, consistent shooter who can pass, feels like they are just a player short.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/18/21 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BIH with a victory over Turkey.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SXD7FBPRLT0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 06/18/21 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
The Sun are missing a player to take it all, consistent shooter who can pass, feels like they are just a player short.

I think they had her but didn't have enough cap space to keep her.

I'm talking about Courtney Williams

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/18/21 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

I think they had her but didn't have enough cap space to keep her.

I'm talking about Courtney Williams

They had the space to keep Williams. She got upset at how the situation was handled and asked out.

PostPosted: 06/18/21 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

those are qualities which Aleah Goodman has also but they couldn't bother to develop a rookie...instead choosing to keep B.Jones happy by having her sister sit on the bench.

blue crabs & basketba

PostPosted: 06/19/21 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
those are qualities which Aleah Goodman has also but they couldn't bother to develop a rookie...instead choosing to keep B.Jones happy by having her sister sit on the bench.

Do you believe BJones has the status in the WNBA to demand her sister gets on the roster? I don't, though I wish she did.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/19/21 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's going to be interesting to see what happens when JJones gets back, because Cannon's ahead of both Mompremier and SJones in the rotation right now. They'll have to release Cannon by rule, but nothing to stop them bringing her back ten days later.

PostPosted: 06/19/21 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blue crabs & basketba wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Do you believe BJones has the status in the WNBA to demand her sister gets on the roster? I don't, though I wish she did.

I don't think it's a matter of 'status' or 'demanding' - but from a mgmt point of view, why not keep one of your starters happy if you think it's a coin flip between two players. Just saying that Mompremier has been next to useless and Stephanie Jones is behind her in the rotation...and now as Richyyy notes, their hardship pickup Cannon is in front of both. I can't imagine that S.Jones will be on the team next year. But by being on the team this year, it should help her get a good contract in Europe.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 06/20/21 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Goodman’s not the answer, too small, they gambled with 3 others not wise to bring in a rookie at this point. May as well dump some players and try others.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/20/21 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Goodman’s not the answer, too small, they gambled with 3 others not wise to bring in a rookie at this point. May as well dump some players and try others.

Goodman seemed like a good-value 3RP at the time, as a PG with plus shooting. The Sun appeared to really need 3PT shooting coming into this season, but actually, they've done better than expected with the core group (at least when JJones is around). JJones is at a scorching-hot 49%, Bonner 37%, JThomas 39%, Hiedeman 36%, and Charles is now at a not-horrible 33% since she's been getting more minutes in the wake of JJones' absence. The only one who's been subpar is January (25%), but notably, her contract is the only one of the shooters due to run out at the end of this season...

In general, Jonquel Jones is truly this team's superstar. I hope she's still in MVP contention by the end of this season, cuz she deserves it.

If they let go of January next season, I think it'd be super interesting if the Sun started JThomas and Bonner in the backcourt (Bonner is listed as a "G/F" after all!), and AThomas, BJones, and JJones in the frontcourt. Bonner spends most of her time out on the perimeter anyway, and I don't think BJones would be as effective as a bench player at this point.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/20/21 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since both JT and January have had injuries in the past, they've been lucky so far that their 3 combo guards have all stayed healthy so it hasn't mattered.

blue crabs & basketba

PostPosted: 06/21/21 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
blue crabs & basketba wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I don't think it's a matter of 'status' or 'demanding' - but from a mgmt point of view, why not keep one of your starters happy if you think it's a coin flip between two players. Just saying that Mompremier has been next to useless and Stephanie Jones is behind her in the rotation...and now as Richyyy notes, their hardship pickup Cannon is in front of both. I can't imagine that S.Jones will be on the team next year. But by being on the team this year, it should help her get a good contract in Europe.

Hmm, I suppose I can see that. It could be more that CT knows what it is getting in a former Terp, and since Curt loves to have Terps on the roster, that was why SJones was brought in.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/15/21 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.cbssports.com/wnba/news/suns-alyssa-thomas-set-to-make-surprise-return-vs-liberty-just-nine-months-after-tearing-achilles-tendon/

Quote:
Connecticut Sun forward Alyssa Thomas is set for a shocking return to the lineup just nine months after tearing her Achilles tendon.

That’s why it seems a little risky to me to use Thomas on a meaningless game. Give her a couple more weeks?

Quote:
Given the severity of the injury and timeline of the WNBA season, most assumed Thomas would not be available until 2022.

That’s what a reasonable person would assume.

Quote:
Modern medicine is getting better every year, but nine months is still extremely fast for someone to return from a torn Achilles.

Quote:
In addition, the Sun have been playing such tremendous basketball -- 12 straight wins, 10 of which have been by double-digits -- that messing with the chemistry in any way comes with a risk. That's not to criticize Thomas, who is a very good and unselfish player, but more to point out that everyone is comfortable and thriving with the current roles and rotations.

The poison pill effect. Glad you pointed it out so I wouldn’t have to.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Queenie

PostPosted: 09/15/21 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MEANWHILE IN TEAM CHEMISTRY NEWS

Congrats to Natisha Hiedeman and Jasmine Thomas on their engagement!

PostPosted: 09/20/21 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alright. Whose got the inside scoop on tickets for the playoffs?

RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 09/21/21 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Games 1 and 2 went on sale at 10 AM on Monday at Ticketmaster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: