43%
 43%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 32

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/30/20 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
The best bench in the league, all season, is scoreless. I don't know whether that makes the fact that Vegas is "only" down six at the half a good sign, or a bad sign?

Given that Hamby isn't playing and DRob is now a starter, this isn't surprising. The bench scored 4 pts in the last game.

Using J Young at PG is a mistake, IMHO. If DRob needs a breather, put in Allen and let Young play at SG.

Not a fan of Allen, but have been surprised at her total disappearance if she's not injured. J. Young was better earlier in the year but has been atrocious in this series so not sure if it's just the matchup or what. Also it was weird that she was still playing the point when she and DRob were both on the floor together. Is Big Bill just being stubborn? So yeah, when it's not working, why not put Allen out there for a few minutes? And also Cannon is atrocious so maybe try Burdick for a few minutes. Could it be worse? And why in heck did he sign those two anyway. I mean I guess it's a good thing in that there is at least a body to put on the floor...but really, was that the best he could do?

I'd also try Burdick at the 3 when Angel is out, which might eliminate some of Rodger's minutes because she's not contributing much either.

Force10rulz

PostPosted: 09/30/20 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First quarter was the only good thing about this game. The low scoring, boring second half for a semi-finals.

PostPosted: 09/30/20 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I enjoyed it. Wasn’t high scoring but a competitive game 5 that came down to the last second.

PostPosted: 09/30/20 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m happy for Angel & Aj’a. I want both to get rings.

Mixolydian

PostPosted: 10/01/20 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Force10rulz wrote:
First quarter was the only good thing about this game. The low scoring, boring second half for a semi-finals.

My take too. Felt like neither team really won, the game just kind of sloooowly ground to a halt and Vegas happened to be ahead. I swear there were 5-minutes segments where the scores didn't change. I guess a testament to the teams' defenses, though the Suns' offense seemed extra off in the second half, even considering Vegas's defense.

Should be a good finals at least, though I would have enjoyed seeing the 7th seed make it in. I'm a shameless underdog cheerer.

Force10rulz

PostPosted: 10/01/20 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mixolydian wrote:
Force10rulz wrote:

My take too. Felt like neither team really won, the game just kind of sloooowly ground to a halt and Vegas happened to be ahead. I swear there were 5-minutes segments where the scores didn't change. I guess a testament to the teams' defenses, though the Suns' offense seemed extra off in the second half, even considering Vegas's defense.

Should be a good finals at least, though I would have enjoyed seeing the 7th seed make it in. I'm a shameless underdog cheerer.

It woulda been cool to see the Sun make it to the finals. If we hadn’t won I woulda been glad they won their first ‘ship.

PostPosted: 10/01/20 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a make-it-or-miss-it game, and when your starting guards are shaky shooters, you've got issues. The Sun needed needed either JThomas or January to make shots, and they didn't.

Laimbeer made the right call and went with the odds, which said that the Sun couldn't beat them relying on JThomas and January to make shots.

Every once in a while they do, but game five makes it even harder for a non-confident shooter to start knocking down critical jumpers.

PostPosted: 10/01/20 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
It's a make-it-or-miss-it game, and when your starting guards are shaky shooters, you've got issues. The Sun needed needed either JThomas or January to make shots, and they didn't.

Laimbeer made the right call and went with the odds, which said that the Sun couldn't beat them relying on JThomas and January to make shots.

Every once in a while they do, but game five makes it even harder for a non-confident shooter to start knocking down critical jumpers.

Which is one of the reasons I always wanted a single elimination tournament instead of multi-game playoffs. The NCAA Tournament is huge for that very reason - upsets happen.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/02/20 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Which is one of the reasons I always wanted a single elimination tournament instead of multi-game playoffs. The NCAA Tournament is huge for that very reason - upsets happen.

Maybe it's because I'm a coach, but I like formats that give the team that's proved itself to be better over the course of a (sometimes long) regular season a better chance to advance. Upsets may be fun, but they also can invalidate a season's worth of success.

PostPosted: 10/02/20 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Randy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Maybe it's because I'm a coach, but I like formats that give the team that's proved itself to be better over the course of a (sometimes long) regular season a better chance to advance. Upsets may be fun, but they also can invalidate a season's worth of success.

That's a fair point, however, the playoff system devalues the regular season. Some teams (e.g. the Mercury) just try to make the playoffs figuring that they can just flip the switch. By making the regular season team with the best record the WNBA Champion and the holding a post season tourney just for the fun of it (and maybe a cash prize) might be something that excite more fans. You don't see people having office pools every year for NCAA regular season games like you do the NCAA Tournament. Most fans seem to only care about College ball when March Madness rolls around.

BTW - as coach would you want to have a playoff system for your HS teams? I'm not sure about California, but most states seem to have a single elimination tournament.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/02/20 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Randy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

We do have single-elimination tournaments, and they can be very frustrating -- though usually the gap between the top teams and lesser teams is so great that a chance of an early upset is unlikely. Still, every year a team that's won 23+ games over a long season gets knocked out by a team barely over .500, which promptly gets squashed in the next round.

That's a fair point, however, the playoff system devalues the regular season. Some teams (e.g. the Mercury) just try to make the playoffs figuring that they can just flip the switch. By making the regular season team with the best record the WNBA Champion and the holding a post season tourney just for the fun of it (and maybe a cash prize) might be something that excite more fans. You don't see people having office pools every year for NCAA regular season games like you do the NCAA Tournament. Most fans seem to only care about College ball when March Madness rolls around.

BTW - as coach would you want to have a playoff system for your HS teams? I'm not sure about California, but most states seem to have a single elimination tournament.

PostPosted: 10/02/20 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
That's a fair point, however, the playoff system devalues the regular season. Some teams (e.g. the Mercury) just try to make the playoffs figuring that they can just flip the switch.

Sine the format change in 2016, the WNBA Championship has been won by the team that either had the best record in the league, or the second-best record in the league. The last time a team that did not have one of the four-best records in the league even made it to the Finals was 2014. That's the opposite of devaluing the regular season.

Quote:
By making the regular season team with the best record the WNBA Champion and the holding a post season tourney just for the fun of it (and maybe a cash prize) might be something that excite more fans. You don't see people having office pools every year for NCAA regular season games like you do the NCAA Tournament. Most fans seem to only care about College ball when March Madness rolls around.

This isn't the dumbest thing I've ever seen posted on this message board, but it's probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen on this message board, that wasn't posted by a certain Lynx fan.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: