RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 Free Agency
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/17/21 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, progress that they acknowledged the concept exists, I guess. But not just listing them was an odd choice.

PostPosted: 01/19/21 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-stars-who-could-be-on-the-move-during-wnba-free-agency/

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/26/21 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/30760885/wnba-free-agent-rankings-20-best-players-2021

Quote:
Betnijah Laney "
The WNBA's Most Improved Player didn't quite crack the top 20 because her below-replacement play prior to 2020 pulled down her projection. Whether her development as a 3-point shooter (making a career-high 30 at 41% accuracy) sticks will go a long way toward determining if Laney can maintain her growth

PostPosted: 01/26/21 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know she's never done it before, but still, leaving Laney out of the top 20 free agents is ridiculous. She averaged 17.2 ppg on terrific .481/.405/.827 shooting, made the All-WNBA Defensive 1st Team, and at 27 is in the prime of her career. As far as I know, Betnijah has never had any off-court problems. She did have the ACL injury in 2016, but otherwise has been healthy. Laney checks all the boxes and is potentially the biggest steal out there.

PostPosted: 01/26/21 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-stars-who-could-be-on-the-move-during-wnba-free-agency/

The brilliance of Megdal on display again.
Quote:
Expect the price tag on Sykes to impact a similar player who broke out in 2020, Atlanta’s Betnijah Laney. Both are long guard/wing combos capable of helping their teams at both ends. Don’t be surprised to see Indiana go after them both.

Yeah, Indiana is gonna go after a player they unceremoniously dumped (no trade involved because they had her signed.... DUMPED), and Laney would gladly oblige, right? Megdal is all too capable of bad takes.

My take... she’s staying with ATL, the team that gave her the opportunity to prove herself. Plus, ATL already said they were making her a priority.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/26/21 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Multiple league sources tell The Next that the Las Vegas Aces are in talks to acquire star free agent point guard Chelsea Gray, a key prize in the WNBA free agent sweepstakes heating up this winter.

Per Megdal, sooooo take it as you want.. Laughing

PostPosted: 01/26/21 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That would certainly shift the balance of power ...

PostPosted: 01/26/21 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Quote:
Multiple league sources tell The Next that the Las Vegas Aces are in talks to acquire star free agent point guard Chelsea Gray, a key prize in the WNBA free agent sweepstakes heating up this winter.

That would go against what Padover said here.
Quote:
“One of the most important things is to recruit your own players,” Aces general manager Dan Padover told me. “You can talk about outside free agents, you can talk about draft picks, but the most important people we had are those who finished with us this year and who were on our roster but couldn’t play for medical reasons.”

I can’t see how the Aces can afford to give Gray top dollar at assuming multiple years and keep their own players. If it happens, McBride gone this year. Hamby gone next year.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 01/26/21 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/26/21 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Quote:

Sparks trading a Supermaxed Chelsea Gray? I'm guessing that's what they mean by "to acquire" instead of "to sign".

In which case... Gray for Plum + either Young, Robinson, Allen, or Vegas' 2022 Pick? Hell, Gray for Cambage?

Plum is due to make $175k, so it would absolutely make sense to include her. If true, it'll be because Plum was never the type of guard Laimbeer wanted, due to being too small. Gray absolutely makes sense as a Laimbeer acquisition.

Last edited by Stormeo on 01/26/21 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDAO

PostPosted: 01/26/21 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I know she's never done it before, but still, leaving Laney out of the top 20 free agents is ridiculous. She averaged 17.2 ppg on terrific .481/.405/.827 shooting, made the All-WNBA Defensive 1st Team, and at 27 is in the prime of her career. As far as I know, Betnijah has never had any off-court problems. She did have the ACL injury in 2016, but otherwise has been healthy. Laney checks all the boxes and is potentially the biggest steal out there.

So, to be clear, the rankings are based on statistical projections and nothing about health or off-court issues would be a factor. It's strictly based on performance over the last three seasons and age.

There's no doubt Laney was one of the 20 best free agents *last season* (she was ninth in wins above replacement player among free agents, including Alyssa Thomas ahead of her). But the question we're trying to answer is how she'll play next season.

One way to check this idea would be to look at other players who have seen similar improvement at the same age. I looked for players between 26 and 28 whose per-minute player rating improved at least .125 from one season to the next (Laney's improved by .158). That yielded a group of 26 players prior to last season. Here's what we saw from them the following season:

Code:
Rating1   Rating2   Change   Rating3   Change
 .433      .599      .166     .544     -.055

This group certainly maintained a lot of their improvement, but not nearly all of it. If you apply that same drop-off to Laney's 2020 stats, she'd go from ninth in WARP among free agents to 16th. So I think it's reasonable that she'd be near the borderline of the top 20 when you add in the couple of players who didn't play last season.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/26/21 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atlanta's in talks to sign Cheyenne Parker

https://thenext.substack.com/p/sources-atlanta-dream-in-talks-to

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/26/21 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Beat me to it. Laughing

PostPosted: 01/26/21 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Beat me to it. Laughing

How does Chicago respond?? Losing Parker and not having a contingency plan in the event of losing her would be devastating.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/26/21 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Beat me to it. Laughing

How does Chicago respond?? Losing Parker and not having a contingency plan in the event of losing her would be devastating.

Wade hasn’t given me any reason to believe that he doesn’t have a plan so far.

Then again, it is just “talks”. Could mean something, could mean nothing. Cool

PostPosted: 01/26/21 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Beat me to it. Laughing

Rumor has it Chicago might be in the hunt for a different Parker

PostPosted: 01/26/21 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Beat me to it. Laughing

Rumor has it Chicago might be in the hunt for a different Parker

I doubt they simply sign her away from LA. I still think a Supermaxed Parker in exchange for Copper + Stevens is a decent deal for both sides. Another type of trade that could require the presence of a 3rd team though.

You're right though, mavcarter, it definitely could all just be "talk"...

Randy

PostPosted: 01/26/21 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Quote:

Hey he called the "Ionescu is leaving school early story" right didn't he? Razz

Michelle89

PostPosted: 01/26/21 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also rumors that Seattle is interested in signing Allisha Gray. Hopefully just a rumor because else it might be a sign that Clark is not coming back Confused

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/26/21 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Also rumors that Seattle is interested in signing Allisha Gray. Hopefully just a rumor because else it might be a sign that Clark is not coming back Confused

Atlanta and Vegas also in the mix.

If Atlanta has some truth to it, then here goes Collen just talking to anybody and everybody because she has some cap room again. Laughing

Last edited by mavcarter on 01/26/21 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/26/21 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For Laney, a lot of last year's success was opportunity. But I think maturity has been good for her as well. She also credited her time off with the ACL where she got to see more the coaching aspect of the game back at Rutgers and how to break down film. I would definitely include her in the top 20 FAs.

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/26/21 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

If Atlanta has some truth to it, then here goes Colleen just talking to anybody and everybody because she has some cap room again. Laughing

The Dream really don't have that much room, especially if Laney comes back. Might require a Hayes or EWill trade to open up extra space if multiple people want to come (considering I doubt anyone's taking on Stricklen, even with only one year left).

PostPosted: 01/26/21 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

If Atlanta has some truth to it, then here goes Colleen just talking to anybody and everybody because she has some cap room again. Laughing

The Dream really don't have that much room, especially if Laney comes back. Might require a Hayes or EWill trade to open up extra space if multiple people want to come (considering I doubt anyone's taking on Stricklen, even with only one year left).

Definitely, didn’t mean to imply they had acres. Embarassed

PostPosted: 01/26/21 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TDAO wrote:
root_thing wrote:

So, to be clear, the rankings are based on statistical projections and nothing about health or off-court issues would be a factor. It's strictly based on performance over the last three seasons and age.

There's no doubt Laney was one of the 20 best free agents *last season* (she was ninth in wins above replacement player among free agents, including Alyssa Thomas ahead of her). But the question we're trying to answer is how she'll play next season.

One way to check this idea would be to look at other players who have seen similar improvement at the same age. I looked for players between 26 and 28 whose per-minute player rating improved at least .125 from one season to the next (Laney's improved by .158). That yielded a group of 26 players prior to last season. Here's what we saw from them the following season:

Code:
Rating1   Rating2   Change   Rating3   Change
 .433      .599      .166     .544     -.055

This group certainly maintained a lot of their improvement, but not nearly all of it. If you apply that same drop-off to Laney's 2020 stats, she'd go from ninth in WARP among free agents to 16th. So I think it's reasonable that she'd be near the borderline of the top 20 when you add in the couple of players who didn't play last season.

That extra explanation of what you did to project the numbers would have been helpful in the introduction. Still, I question the usefulness of a purely statistical approach. What fans want to know is how management is likely to rank the top free agents. The answer requires a more comprehensive process. I believe Laney is particularly enticing because she is a very good two-way player. Not only that, she is in her prime and has a decent health history. Yes, she has only put up one great year, but finding really good two-way players is hard. This is a league with only 144 slots. Serviceable two-way players and good one-dimensional players are easy to find. But that player who is very good on both sides of the court is rare. So, when you can potentially get one for free -- something that almost never happens -- then you have to be very interested. Think of how excited people get about the potential of college players. They've only "proven" themselves at an amateur level. Well, Laney is a bit older, but she has one year of proof at the pro level. How much more believable is that than college performance? Who would you rather roll the dice on and how much money would you be willing to risk on it?

PostPosted: 01/26/21 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cambage might be the #1 FA from a purely statistical standpoint, but she won't be highly sought after. There might be three teams she'd be willing to play for and no one would consider her a safe bet to show up in any given year. I don't see anyone mortgaging their future to acquire her.

PostPosted: 01/26/21 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why would the Sky trade two young quality players for OLD Candace Parker? Candace is an UFA. If the Sky really want her all they have to do is sign her. They don't have to give up anything to get her.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: