View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/15/21 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
dp

Sims getting payed regardless means she can go ring shopping if she wants.

The Minny trade makes so much more sense if she just goes back now at vet minimum and isn't blocking the Powers signing (it also seems slightlt unethical but that is what makes it intriguing).

But how did the lynx knew that the Fever were going to waive her?

That is what makes it unethical. The idea that Indy was going to pay and waive her was part of the deal, hence the inclusion of the valuable 1st round pick in 22

Indy taking the deal frees Minny of Sims guaranteed deal opening a guaranteed spot for Powers, and Sims goes back to minny at an unguaranteed vet minimum getting a an extra 70k to give up her guaranteed contract while still be assured of a roster spot

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/15/21 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
The Minny trade makes so much more sense if she just goes back now at vet minimum and isn't blocking the Powers signing (it also seems slightly unethical but that is what makes it intriguing).

Apparently to prevent this very loophole, I read online that the player in question can't re-sign with the team that traded her (the Lynx) after the team she was traded to (the Fever) either buys out her contract or waives her (in this case, the latter). She would have to wait til the one-year anniversary of the deal to re-sign with the team that originally traded her. Someone with better knowledge can probably officially corroborate this, but it would certainly make sense. So Sims for sure won't be playing for Minnesota in 2021.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/15/21 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
The Minny trade makes so much more sense if she just goes back now at vet minimum and isn't blocking the Powers signing (it also seems slightly unethical but that is what makes it intriguing).

Apparently to prevent this very loophole, I read online that the player in question can't re-sign with the team that traded her (the Lynx) after the team she was traded to (the Fever) either buys out her contract or waives her (in this case, the latter). She would have to wait til the one-year anniversary of the deal to re-sign with the team that originally traded her. Someone with better knowledge can probably officially corroborate this, but it would certainly make sense. So Sims won't be playing for Minnesota in 2021.

Oh well less intrigue

If Sims was waived does that mean another team could pick her up at her original contract and Indy wouldn't have to pay?

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/15/21 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Embarassed

Last edited by mavcarter on 02/15/21 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/15/21 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Apparently to prevent this very loophole, I read online that the player in question can't re-sign with the team that traded her (the Lynx) after the team she was traded to (the Fever) either buys out her contract or waives her (in this case, the latter). She would have to wait til the one-year anniversary of the deal to re-sign with the team that originally traded her. Someone with better knowledge can probably officially corroborate this, but it would certainly make sense. So Sims won't be playing for Minnesota in 2021.

Oh well less intrigue

If Sims was waived does that mean another team could pick her up at her original contract and Indy wouldn't have to pay?

I think if they pick her up on waivers, then yes, they pick up what's left of her original deal and I believe Indiana then is completely off the hook. But if she clears waivers (which is all but certain because of how much less a team could sign her for), she gets that contract money from Indiana + whatever else another team will take her on for (probably just vet min or close to it), which would then total at least $189k! That very well might happen, especially if Sims is in fact healthy enough to play right now.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/15/21 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After Waivers on minimum I have in descending order
LV
Seattle
Atl
back to LA
NY

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/15/21 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Apparently to prevent this very loophole, I read online that the player in question can't re-sign with the team that traded her (the Lynx) after the team she was traded to (the Fever) either buys out her contract or waives her (in this case, the latter). She would have to wait til the one-year anniversary of the deal to re-sign with the team that originally traded her. Someone with better knowledge can probably officially corroborate this, but it would certainly make sense. So Sims for sure won't be playing for Minnesota in 2021.

If a rule like this exists in the WNBA, I'm struggling to find it.

PostPosted: 02/15/21 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

If a rule like this exists in the WNBA, I'm struggling to find it.

It definitely exists in the men's league; it strikes me as improbable that it doesn't exist in the WNBA.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/15/21 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, the NBA got tired of late-season trades where part of the deal was basically the wink-wink element that the guy would be immediately waived and could then re-sign with his previous team. But those have never really been a thing in the WNBA, so they may never have bothered with a rule to block them.

To be clear, a rule like that may exist. Haven't gotten anything on it from any league source yet. But I can't find it in the CBA if it does.

PostPosted: 02/16/21 2:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, if there's no rule, and Sims re-signs with Minnesota, there'll be a rule, within 24 hours.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
dreamfan11

PostPosted: 02/16/21 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Silky Johnson"]Well, if there's no rule, and Sims re-signs with Minnesota, there'll [i]be[/i] a rule, within 24 hours.[/quote]

Sims CAN sign with MINN if she clears waivers, which means she will have been paid the $119k from IND and will earn whatever she can with MINN albeit unprotected, making her earn more then the lower max - good deal for Sims if you like to be a pawn for cheryl.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/16/21 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Well, if there's no rule, and Sims re-signs with Minnesota, there'll be a rule, within 24 hours.

Things don't move that fast in this league.

Having now checked with people within the league, there appears to be no rule blocking the Lynx from re-signing Sims. Doesn't necessarily mean she is going back, but if both sides want to reunite, they can.

PostPosted: 02/16/21 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

They seem to move faster under Engelbert. Recall that Breanna Stewart's ambassadorship had not even been discussed prior to rosters being finalized in 2019 but was a done deal less than two hours later.

PostPosted: 02/16/21 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jessica Breland is going back to Indiana

PostPosted: 02/16/21 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Having now checked with people within the league, there appears to be no rule blocking the Lynx from re-signing Sims. Doesn't necessarily mean she is going back, but if both sides want to reunite, they can.

If there was a plan to bring Sims back under non-guaranteed vet min contract, then the cost of doing this makes a lot more sense.

Sims has a right to refuse to be picked up by other teams?

Reminds me of the shady Leilani Mitchell re-signing by PHX.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 02/16/21 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Sims has a right to refuse to be picked up by other teams?

Assuming nobody claims her on waivers she can sign (or not) with any team that makes her an offer

PostPosted: 02/16/21 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm surprised nobody's talking about Connecticut. Looking at my projected starters in the league, whoever the Sun decides to start at shooting guard is dead last. That's the single weakest starting spot in the league at this point in free agency. Sims, to me, would be a huge upgrade and obvious starter in the backcourt there. Heck, Walker-Kimbrough is proabably a better option than what they've currently got.

PostPosted: 02/16/21 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Question I just thought of regarding Sims, for someone who knows better than I: Say she does sign with another team for something less than the contract Indiana took on. How does that work with the buyout? Would Indiana just have to pay the difference between the two contracts?

PostPosted: 02/16/21 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Question I just thought of regarding Sims, for someone who knows better than I: Say she does sign with another team for something less than the contract Indiana took on. How does that work with the buyout? Would Indiana just have to pay the difference between the two contracts?

Have to take on the terms of the contract on waiver pickups. She’d still be with the Lynx if they could change the terms.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 02/16/21 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But if she CLEARS wavers she would become an unrestricted free agent and Indiana would have to pay her the full amount of her contract, correct? Just like Tayler Hill last year.

So if she then, say midseason, joined another team on a brand new contract, how would that effect Indiana? Would they be off the hook for the amount of the new contract?

PostPosted: 02/16/21 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
But if she CLEARS wavers she would become an unrestricted free agent and Indiana would have to pay her the full amount of her contract, correct? Just like Tayler Hill last year.

Yes, but she wasn’t bought out like Hill, Sims will make the full salary. If Hill would’ve signed with another team in the same season, she would’ve gotten paid for two different contracts.

PickledGinger wrote:
So if she then, say midseason, joined another team on a brand new contract, how would that effect Indiana? Would they be off the hook for the amount of the new contract?

No, they wouldn’t be off the hook.

PostPosted: 02/16/21 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why so worried about Indiana? They basically purchased the rights to Fagbenle and a 2022 first round draft pick for $117K. Not a good deal?

Any clarification on which picks were involved in the trade, their own or the picks they recently traded for?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/16/21 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

There is a right of set-off rule, which means Indiana save a little money if Sims signs another contract, but it's nothing like the total of the new contract. If she signs somewhere else for the vet minimum, for example, Indiana get to reduce the amount they owe Sims by $5,000.

PostPosted: 02/17/21 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With all the action taking place this year in free agency no one is talking about how Washington is dragging their feet with the Cloud negotiations. The two other players that were cored this season have yet to sign contracts. What will happen to those three players is a beautiful mystery. Cool

PostPosted: 02/18/21 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
With all the action taking place this year in free agency no one is talking about how Washington is dragging their feet with the Cloud negotiations. The two other players that were cored this season have yet to sign contracts. What will happen to those three players is a beautiful mystery. Cool

Mike Thibault isn't dragging his feet, the situation with Natasha Cloud is complicated because Emma Meesseman hasn't made up her mind up when or if she's returning this upcoming WNBA season. Mike Thibault is thinking about giving Emma a deadline to make her mind up so he can finish up a long term agreement with Natasha.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/02/18/natasha-cloud-emma-meesseman-free-agency

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: