RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

2021 Free Agency
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22576
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/22/20 8:09 am    ::: 2021 Free Agency Reply Reply with quote

No need to wait until January for a list this year.

https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2021-wnba-free-agency-list



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 6017
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/22/20 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Longest and highest quality UFA list I can remember ever seeing. Also, interesting about the “Suspended - Contract Expired” players. I would have thought the service time rules still apply and players allowed to become RFAs or UFAs where applicable.



_________________
Aside from separately going on trial for murder and treason, Aaron Burr seemed like a pretty nice guy.
mavcarter
#NATC


Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 5702
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/22/20 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Besides keeping someone that was better than expected with 3 years or less of service, what’s the incentive of Reserving someone like Prince or Agnew?

Maybe those players are showing some things in practice.



_________________
wrote:
Or maybe said poster should quit being a nuisance when people don’t agree?
bluedevilaztecfan5



Joined: 16 Mar 2010
Posts: 648
Location: San Diego, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/22/20 11:37 am    ::: Re: 2021 Free Agency Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
No need to wait until January for a list this year.

https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2021-wnba-free-agency-list


Thanks for posting!!! 🙌🏽


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22576
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/22/20 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Besides keeping someone that was better than expected with 3 years or less of service, what’s the incentive of Reserving someone like Prince or Agnew?

Maybe those players are showing some things in practice.

As mentioned in the stuff at the top (I know lots of people will just skip to the list Wink ), teams do have to make qualifying offers to make players restricted or reserved in early January. So some of those reserved players may become UFAs if teams don't even want to bother. Otherwise, the point is that you get to hang on to a player who you presumably thought was worth having the previous season.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61598
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/22/20 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Besides keeping someone that was better than expected with 3 years or less of service, what’s the incentive of Reserving someone like Prince or Agnew?

Maybe those players are showing some things in practice.


A rookie, like Agnew, might get better. And she'll be cheaper than the vet minimum.



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
PickledGinger



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 709



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/22/20 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you so much for all the hard work!!! Much appreciated.

Out of curiosity, I'm not seeing Johannes or Xu on this list. Do their contracts differ from the rest of the players who opted-out?


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26956



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/22/20 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great info. Thanks Richyyy! lots of ammo for j-spoon's trade and signing scenarios.

Not that it's relevant but what happens with the contract of a player like EDD who chose to stay out but they called it injury. Since they paid her anyway so I assume that eats up a year of her contract, but what if they had said she opted out without the medical exemption and they didn't pay her...how would that leave her contract. (Not sure if there are others that are actually in that situation)



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22576
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/22/20 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Thank you so much for all the hard work!!! Much appreciated.

Out of curiosity, I'm not seeing Johannes or Xu on this list. Do their contracts differ from the rest of the players who opted-out?

Both are still under contract - Johannes signed a multi-year deal before this season, Han is still on her rookie-scale deal - so therefore aren't any kind of free agent. Anyone on any of these lists is out of contract.

myrtle wrote:
Great info. Thanks Richyyy! lots of ammo for j-spoon's trade and signing scenarios.

Not that it's relevant but what happens with the contract of a player like EDD who chose to stay out but they called it injury. Since they paid her anyway so I assume that eats up a year of her contract, but what if they had said she opted out without the medical exemption and they didn't pay her...how would that leave her contract. (Not sure if there are others that are actually in that situation)

All contracts continue to run whether the player shows up or not, gets suspended or not, whatever. So Delle Donne's contract is now one year shorter than before this season, but also would've been if they'd suspended her after not getting the exemption, or if she'd gotten the exemption. The difference is whether the player gets paid, and/or whether the player gets credited with a Year of Service in the WNBA.

The players who opted out without receiving the exemption did NOT receive a Year of Service (even though many of them received two paychecks before they officially opted out). Players who got the exemption (Cambage, Charles etc.) both got paid and got the Year of Service, as did players like Wheeler and EDD who were on the roster all year but never actually played.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10014
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/22/20 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im exited with the new CBA the movement will be even better than this year. Especially with GM's getting a chance to see how their teams perform without stars/key players. A lot more big names could be moving than ever before ! Razz



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
mavcarter
#NATC


Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 5702
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/22/20 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
A rookie, like Agnew, might get better. And she'll be cheaper than the vet minimum.


She would? Damn didn’t know that. Embarassed



_________________
wrote:
Or maybe said poster should quit being a nuisance when people don’t agree?
Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 15946
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/22/20 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Its going to be a nerve wreaking offseason for us storm fans Surprised



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 1755
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/22/20 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Never said it, but thanks Richyyy for all that you do! Your efforts & hard work as it relates to researching this League are truly unmatched.

Michelle89 wrote:
Its going to be a nerve wreaking offseason for us storm fans Surprised

Yes it will. Confused Still, I hope Alysha Clark gets a big payday, especially if she wins DPOY (which has yet to be announced... coincidentally, the Storm have yet to take the floor in the playoffs. Hmm 👀). IMO she's been severely underpaid the past 4-5 seasons, and this past season was literally her best one, statistically speaking.



_________________
Man, f*** all this f***ing horsesh*t (no, yeah, for sure [RIP RBG])


Last edited by Stormeo on 09/27/20 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
DFWub2018



Joined: 24 Aug 2018
Posts: 437
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/23/20 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Im exited with the new CBA the movement will be even better than this year. Especially with GM's getting a chance to see how their teams perform without stars/key players. A lot more big names could be moving than ever before ! Razz


What's your opinion on: Neka, Tina charles or Lavender coming to Dallas? Or maybe I should ask, who would you like for us to go after?


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10014
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/23/20 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Im exited with the new CBA the movement will be even better than this year. Especially with GM's getting a chance to see how their teams perform without stars/key players. A lot more big names could be moving than ever before ! Razz


What's your opinion on: Neka, Tina charles or Lavender coming to Dallas? Or maybe I should ask, who would you like for us to go after?


Charles aint leaving DC especially not getting a chance to play for a title contender yet. Im sure she will be happy to join EDD and this Playoff Styx team.

Lavender - Oh Hellll Noo

Nneka - Come Come bring a friend or a sister as well Laughing

Cheyenne Parker - We better throw max at !

If Seattle doesnt value Clark ill take her over Thornton as well - Throw the MAX ! I love the fluctuation we have this offseason with cap money !



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
DFWub2018



Joined: 24 Aug 2018
Posts: 437
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/23/20 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Im exited with the new CBA the movement will be even better than this year. Especially with GM's getting a chance to see how their teams perform without stars/key players. A lot more big names could be moving than ever before ! Razz


What's your opinion on: Neka, Tina charles or Lavender coming to Dallas? Or maybe I should ask, who would you like for us to go after?


Charles aint leaving DC especially not getting a chance to play for a title contender yet. Im sure she will be happy to join EDD and this Playoff Styx team.

Lavender - Oh Hellll Noo

Nneka - Come Come bring a friend or a sister as well Laughing

Cheyenne Parker - We better throw max at !

If Seattle doesnt value Clark ill take her over Thornton as well - Throw the MAX ! I love the fluctuation we have this offseason with cap money !


I'm onboard with everything you said. I just threw Lavender out there because I didn't feel the other two were realistic options!


Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 3884
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/24/20 6:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A lot veterans are going to want the fat salaries that were tossed around like cheap candy in 2020. With the salary cap that will not happen. Some players might have to accept less money than what they think they are worth in order to stay in the league.



_________________
I am .... a bucket.
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22576
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/28/20 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did some maths on how many spots and how much cash might be available, and therefore how much people might get, if anyone's interested. Thread starts here: https://twitter.com/RichardCohen1/status/1310760608330121216?s=20



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26956



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/28/20 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so methinks there will be some weird moves where teams with a lot of cheap contracts (like Dallas or NY) could outbid others for even some of the RFAs, which their existing teams then couldn't match. Thinking about players like B.Jones, Sykes, Whitcomb.... Bottom line, it probably increases movement. Not sure if that was the intention or not, but it will be interesting to see what happens.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 10430



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/20 6:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good work Richyyy. Very interesting.

One issue is that not every team will want to spend to the top of the cap, and some teams aren't that appealing to players. For ex, would a super max player want to jump to the Dream, Wings or Fever?


So it could be a fun FA year.



_________________
#NADF
Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 1755
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/30/20 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone have a running list or even just a good idea of which active players are no longer eligible to be cored? Or is it just Tina Charles and Candice Dupree? Also, which teams can't use their core designation this year due to a previously cored player still being under contract after their own core designation? Thanks in advance. Mr. Green



_________________
Man, f*** all this f***ing horsesh*t (no, yeah, for sure [RIP RBG])
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22576
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/30/20 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Anyone have a running list or even just a good idea of which active players are no longer eligible to be cored? Or is it just Tina Charles and Candice Dupree? Also, which teams can't use their core designation this year due to a previously cored player still being under contract after their own core designation? Thanks in advance. Mr. Green

All answered, y'know, in the article.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 1755
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/30/20 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Anyone have a running list or even just a good idea of which active players are no longer eligible to be cored? Or is it just Tina Charles and Candice Dupree? Also, which teams can't use their core designation this year due to a previously cored player still being under contract after their own core designation? Thanks in advance. Mr. Green

All answered, y'know, in the article.

Wasn’t sure if it was only Charles & Dupree - seemed like we’ve talked about others who are no longer eligible. Totally missed the Phoenix/Griner part somehow. Sorry. Thanks.



_________________
Man, f*** all this f***ing horsesh*t (no, yeah, for sure [RIP RBG])
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22576
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/30/20 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Anyone have a running list or even just a good idea of which active players are no longer eligible to be cored? Or is it just Tina Charles and Candice Dupree? Also, which teams can't use their core designation this year due to a previously cored player still being under contract after their own core designation? Thanks in advance. Mr. Green

All answered, y'know, in the article.

Wasn’t sure if it was only Charles & Dupree - seemed like we’ve talked about others who are no longer eligible. Totally missed the Phoenix/Griner part somehow. Sorry. Thanks.

No problem. The other one who's come up in recent times is Bonner, who is no longer core-able but it's not really relevant because she also isn't a free agent. There are a few others in that situation (Griner, Fowles, Langhorne) who can't be cored when their current deals end.

Having said all that, I also missed one Smile. Candace Parker has played three years under the core designation according to the CBA, so is in the same boat as Charles and Dupree and can't be cored. Thanks for making me check!



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 1755
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/30/20 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Anyone have a running list or even just a good idea of which active players are no longer eligible to be cored? Or is it just Tina Charles and Candice Dupree? Also, which teams can't use their core designation this year due to a previously cored player still being under contract after their own core designation? Thanks in advance. Mr. Green

All answered, y'know, in the article.

Wasn’t sure if it was only Charles & Dupree - seemed like we’ve talked about others who are no longer eligible. Totally missed the Phoenix/Griner part somehow. Sorry. Thanks.

No problem. The other one who's come up in recent times is Bonner, who is no longer core-able but it's not really relevant because she also isn't a free agent. There are a few others in that situation (Griner, Fowles, Langhorne) who can't be cored when their current deals end.

Having said all that, I also missed one Smile. Candace Parker has played three years under the core designation according to the CBA, so is in the same boat as Charles and Dupree and can't be cored. Thanks for making me check!

Lol well I'm glad my persistent inquisition and partial lack of reading comprehension could help! Very Happy



_________________
Man, f*** all this f***ing horsesh*t (no, yeah, for sure [RIP RBG])
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin