32%
 32%  [ 9 ]
Storm
67%
 67%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 28

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/20/20 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now that we've had these multiple inconclusive tests from Storm players, I'm a little surprised we didn't see more here & there when the season was in full swing. One or two players had to miss a game due to inconclusive tests in the first couple weeks, and I remember wondering if we'd see one practically once a week. But after that, the rest of the regular season went swimmingly. This new incident comes with only four teams left and multiple players having tested inconclusive... if each of the affected players end up getting cleared, then what a bizarrely unlikely coincidence (unless like Myrtle suggested, that particular testing unit used for those whose tests were affected was faulty). Let's hope that something like that is why this happened.

myrtle wrote:
Seattle hasn't played anybody for a week so at least there shouldn't have been exposure between teams...assuming that even in the bubble everybody is doing face masks and proper social distancing.

Let's also hope the Storm didn't get careless if they took some daytrips to the beach the past week. Confused

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 09/20/20 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Let's also hope the Storm didn't get careless if they took some daytrips to the beach the past week. Confused

I sure hope our players weren't that stupid leading up to the semifinals. Let's just hope that the next round or two of tests come back conclusively negative and we can all move forward.

mannman

PostPosted: 09/20/20 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Force10rulz wrote:
Bummer, I was looking forward to the game, and sweeping the Lynx, let’s hope for a 5 game series from the Aces and Sun.

I'm certain fans for the Aces looked forward to sweep the Sun, too. This is why we play the games.

Last edited by mannman on 09/20/20 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
PicknLOL

PostPosted: 09/20/20 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
If it turns out negative, game should be played tomorrow.

My understanding is that the player needs two negative tests, so they won't play until Tues at the earliest.

What happens if someone is positive? The rest of the team would have to be tested per CDC guidelines, so I'd think the whole team, coaches, etc would be tested and put in isolation now rather than wait.

And that will also allow to keep the TV schedule mostly in-tact.

Unless the inconclusive tests turn out to be true positives, at which point, oh well...

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/20/20 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I sure hope our players weren't that stupid leading up to the semifinals. Let's just hope that the next round or two of tests come back conclusively negative and we can all move forward.

yikes. hadn't thought of that. They did have a whole week off to get into trouble somewhere somehow. You know...like the ice cream vendor...or whatever. There's a bazillion ways it could happen if they actually went outside the bubble, even in a supposedly 'safe' way as a group.

- Amanda Gorman
PicknLOL

PostPosted: 09/20/20 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
yikes. hadn't thought of that. They did have a whole week off to get into trouble somewhere somehow. You know...like the ice cream vendor...or whatever. There's a bazillion ways it could happen if they actually went outside the bubble, even in a supposedly 'safe' way as a group.

That would be one way to hand Minnesota the victory.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 09/20/20 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As the commish emphasized, the tests did NOT come back positive. The tests were inconclusive. I don't really know how a test comes back inconclusive, but the bottom line is that we just don't know anything until further testing is done.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 09/20/20 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whew, such crazy times!

Because we could use a laugh : https://www.instagram.com/p/CFXNCxmpuKS/

Happy Bday, coach! Laughing

blaase22

PostPosted: 09/20/20 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
seems strange... during the regular season if there was a false positive the teams still played... it has to be multiple players for the game to be postponed.

Or it’s Stewart....

Shades

PostPosted: 09/20/20 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
As the commish emphasized, the tests did NOT come back positive. The tests were inconclusive. I don't really know how a test comes back inconclusive, but the bottom line is that we just don't know anything until further testing is done.

I believe it’s referred to as inconclusive positive result. If a player doesn’t show any symptoms of illness such as an elevated temp, then they want to isolate the player and confirm the result with another test 24 hours later. If they test negative, then they have to continue to isolate and test negative again another 24 hours later.

If it turns out these players really have the virus, I say that’s the breaks. They shouldn’t put the series on hold for a week or two until the infection is cleared. They wouldn’t put the series on hold for any other illness.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
sportsfan48

PostPosted: 09/20/20 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Whoa. Kind of shocking this took so long. Probably a false positive, right?

but it sounds like there were more than one. That doesn't sound good. Unless the whole testing unit went haywire.

Maybe they sent the tests to a lab in Turkey for results.

MuneravenMN
Champion Tipster

PostPosted: 09/20/20 8:16 pm    ::: Crossing Fingers for the Storm Reply Reply with quote

I want the Lynx to win, but it ain’t winning if the other team just plagues the F out. So I hope it is just a glitch.

However, if Seattle got dumb on their days off? Well...then they are out. Sucks if that happens, and I hope it doesn’t.

PostPosted: 09/20/20 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:

I believe it’s referred to as inconclusive positive result. If a player doesn’t show any symptoms of illness such as an elevated temp, then they want to isolate the player and confirm the result with another test 24 hours later. If they test negative, then they have to continue to isolate and test negative again another 24 hours later.

If it turns out these players really have the virus, I say that’s the breaks. They shouldn’t put the series on hold for a week or two until the infection is cleared. They wouldn’t put the series on hold for any other illness.

I don't know what an inconclusive result means. Engelbert said in an interview with Holly that the tests were not positive.

I agree 100% that the games should not be postponed any further.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/20/20 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If this situation ends up being doomsday for the Storm’s title hopes, I will 100% be rooting for the Sun the rest of the way. I wouldn’t hate seeing the Aces win it all either, but I wish Kelsey Plum was there & directly a part of the team (at least she’d still literally get a ring if they do win it all). As for the Lynx, well, they already have 4! Laughing

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/20/20 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
Shades wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:

I don't know what an inconclusive result means. Engelbert said in an interview with Holly that the tests were not positive.

I agree 100% that the games should not be postponed any further.

If the Storm are not ready to play Tuesday then they should forfeit that game.

PostPosted: 09/20/20 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
What does an “inconclusive” result mean?

The UW SARS-CoV-2 Real-time RT-PCR assay targets two distinct gene regions (see SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Qualitative PCR [NCVQLT] for details). When one of the two targets, but not both, is present above the threshold for positivity, the test is reported as “inconclusive”. This is usually seen with low amounts of viral DNA. In practice, “inconclusive” results should be treated as presumptive positive COVID cases.

https://testguide.labmed.uw.edu/public/guideline/covid_faq
bcdawg04

PostPosted: 09/20/20 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks. I remember the term "presumptive positive".

Any player who doesn't have the necessary negative test(s) by Tuesday should continue to isolate. Yes, if the Storm don't have enough players, then we should take the forfeit.

Could just be shit luck and maybe none of the players left the bubble.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 09/20/20 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Because today's game was scheduled at 3 pm est, 24hrs later would provide a window of opportunity for a Monday night game. Yes? No?

Do we know the exact time the tests were given?

Although, Tuesday seems the more likely option.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/21/20 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Although, Tuesday seems the more likely option.

And... here we are:

https://twitter.com/DougFeinberg/status/1307866553053048839

Quote:
Well @WNBA just announced that Game 1 of the series between @seattlestorm and @minnesotalynx will be at 9pm ET Tuesday night.

I searched hard but didn't find where the W actually announced this, but I suppose I'll take his word for it. The inconclusive-testing Storm players would still have to pass two tests 24 hours apart to take place in the game, with all others of course testing negative. But maybe this "announcement" really means that enough negative-testing players were deemed not in close contact with the inconclusive-testing players such that the Storm will at the very least have enough players available to play on Tuesday night. Still, in reality, this is most likely nothing more than a tentative rescheduled date. Hopefully we'll know more by Tuesday morning.

As for the scheduling on Tuesday, Game 2 of Sun-Aces was supposed to be the 9pm ET game with Game 2 of Lynx-Storm being the game before it at 7pm ET. Now it has been switched. Game 2 of Sun-Aces will now be the 7pm ET game, and Game 1 of Lynx-Storm will now be the 9pm ET.

PicknLOL

PostPosted: 09/21/20 2:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:

Any player who doesn't have the necessary negative test(s) by Tuesday should continue to isolate. Yes, if the Storm don't have enough players, then we should take the forfeit.

So from what I could tell, all but one of the COVID-19 tests use PCR to amplify the virus RNA, i.e. to cause parts of the RNA of SARS-CoV-2 to (turn into DNA and then) replicate so they can be easy to detect during subsequent analysis. But these RT-PCR tests that get results quicker, use special fluorescent dyes to monitor the amplification itself in real-time, and the dyes grow in intensity as more DNA from SARS-CoV-2 appears. So hopefully an inconclusive test can also mean the sample was much green during the testing, but not enough green to call it a positive.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/21/20 4:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:
seems strange... during the regular season if there was a false positive the teams still played... it has to be multiple players for the game to be postponed.

Or it’s Stewart....

I saw in her stories that she was hanging out with her teammates and stuff. So that rules it out

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
sithinfiltrator

PostPosted: 09/21/20 4:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My understanding is that if they get an inconclusive from the fast test, that they do another test that takes longer to get the results back from that has a higher accuracy rate. The fast test suffers some accuracy for quickness. My nephew had COVID symptoms a few months back and got a fast test negative, but they told us that we weren't out of the fire yet until his other test also confirmed the negative test. Back then, those test took 2 to 5 days to come back. Nowadays, they can usually get them in 24 hours and I wouldn't be surprised if the W has a line on getting them quicker. The wait isn't due to how long the test takes, but rather a backlog in the labs for testing.

-Lisa

PostPosted: 09/21/20 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:

But what happens if there are two or three confirmed positives, the League says "right, we've isolated them, get on with it", and the Lynx players say "we're not comfortable playing against those remaining Storm players, they could be carrying it and just not have tested positive yet"?

I admit that I don't know how long it's possible to be infected without testing positive at this point, but that's where everything starts to fall apart. If one side says "play" and the other says "no", shit starts to hit the fan.

All entirely hypothetical, I should stress. No idea if any of these possibilities have come into play yet or been discussed.

PostPosted: 09/21/20 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Storm roster says they have 13 players? Are they all in the wubble and otherwise healthy and available to play?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/21/20 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
The Storm roster says they have 13 players? Are they all in the wubble and otherwise healthy and available to play?

As in the one here? https://storm.wnba.com/roster/ I only count 12. Possible you saw a list with Laksa on it, who's been suspended all year and doesn't count.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: