Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/19/21 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Can LA afford their team

I see three max deals for Parker Gray and N. Ogwumike. Oliver already has a decent sized deal. I assume Sykes has the potential for a big offer and Cheney if she wants to return is probably a six figure deal in a world where hartley and Olson are above 170 and do you stick with experienced role players like Trp Williams and augustus and even t. Copper can probably demand a little more than 2nd year minimum even if you just keep your top 6 say LA will have to keep it cheap the rest of the way

J-Spoon, it's like you speak in code. It took me a while to figure out who Oliver and Olson were. I'm still not sure about Trp Williams. Is that TRP and Riquna (now in LVA) or should that be Trp Wheeler?

PostPosted: 02/19/21 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tolliver and Dolson???

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/19/21 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Sparks sign Bria Holmes

Storm could’ve just saved themselves all that hassle of acquiring their Peanuts by going after Holmes; she & Talbot would’ve been complementary enough to man the 3 spot.

I wonder if Holmes was waiting to see if A. Thomas’ contract was actually gonna be suspended, opening up a spot for her, and this is confirmation that it’s not. That, or she just got tired of waiting.

To my chagrin, this is a good pickup by LA imo.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/19/21 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Can LA afford their team

I see three max deals for Parker Gray and N. Ogwumike. Oliver already has a decent sized deal. I assume Sykes has the potential for a big offer and Cheney if she wants to return is probably a six figure deal in a world where hartley and Olson are above 170 and do you stick with experienced role players like Trp Williams and augustus and even t. Copper can probably demand a little more than 2nd year minimum even if you just keep your top 6 say LA will have to keep it cheap the rest of the way

J-Spoon, it's like you speak in code. It took me a while to figure out who Oliver and Olson were. I'm still not sure about Trp Williams. Is that TRP and Riquna (now in LVA) or should that be Trp Wheeler?

I made that comment on Sept 24th, I guess it did take you a long time to figure it out if you are responding to it now.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/19/21 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

I made that comment on Sept 24th, I guess it did take you a long time to figure it out if you are responding to it now.

Oops, the jump back to page 1. I usually catch it, but this time I didn't. Sorry.

PostPosted: 02/19/21 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has there been any word on what C. Ogwumike is planning to do?

This rebuild/reload makes some sense if she is on board and still has some game

Wheeler/Cooper
Toliver/Holmes
Sykes/Weiss
N. Ogwumike/Zahui B
C. Ogwumike/Anigwe

Round it out with Gulich and #10 pick and LA could still be a pretty competitive team

Get Vadeeva or Iagupova to come over and it gets very interesting

Shades

PostPosted: 02/19/21 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zahui is starting.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 02/19/21 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seimone Augustus is returning to the Sparks

PostPosted: 02/19/21 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Seimone Augustus is returning to the Sparks

Good. I was getting nervous that Reeve might bring her back on a vet minimum contract since it looks like she’s not doing it with Sims.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/20/21 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Zahui [B.] is starting.

Source?

jap

PostPosted: 02/20/21 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would much rather have Maria Vadeeva playing at C or PF. I am hoping she returns for this upcoming season.

PostPosted: 02/20/21 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
I would much rather have Maria Vadeeva playing at C or PF. I am hoping she returns for this upcoming season.
i I always thought that the Sparks not playing her in the past when it was clear she was better than the prerson on the floor would come back to bite them eventually. She might never come back based on her past experiences with the team riding the bench.

PostPosted: 02/20/21 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
jap wrote:
i I always thought that the Sparks not playing her in the past when it was clear she was better than the person on the floor would come back to bite them eventually. She might never come back based on her past experiences with the team riding the bench.

That would be a crying shame as she has flashed glimpses of becoming a breakout star (even a breakout superstar!), with her great strength and overall offensive/defensive game. I don't believe I have seen any other player who can match up against Big Bad Silvia Fowles in pure strength, plus she can back up and challenge from downtown to lure Syl out from down low and rifle passes to open teammates when the paint is vacated. I believe it was the first game of 2019, when Candace was late (or injured?) when Maria exploded with 24 points to lead all Sparks players. I have joked about Maria being the Sparks' Messiah, the Anointed One, but she really looked like she was on the cusp of breaking out to becoming a dominant force if given sufficient playing time.

Last edited by jap on 03/06/21 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michelle89

PostPosted: 02/20/21 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
jap wrote:
i I always thought that the Sparks not playing her in the past when it was clear she was better than the prerson on the floor would come back to bite them eventually. She might never come back based on her past experiences with the team riding the bench.

Vadeeva is pretty humble and used to come off the bench behind great players(Stewart, Griner, Meesseman and JJ) with UMMC. So with being a benchplayer in the Euroleague i dont think she would expect to play starter minutes in the W right away

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
willtalk

PostPosted: 02/20/21 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
willtalk wrote:
jap wrote:

Vadeeva is pretty humble and used to come off the bench behind great players(Stewart, Griner, Meesseman and JJ) with UMMC. So with being a benchplayer in the Euroleague i dont think she would expect to play starter minutes in the W right away
Its one thing playing behind those players and riding the bench while Lavender put up bricks and played no defense. Remember they also played her behind Brown when Brown was a rookie in match ups against big centers. Vadeeva kills strong players. She beats them with strength.

Playing behind great playeres was for a team in her native Russia where she got paid really well while playing at home. The WNBA is a different animal. She doesn't need the WNBA. There is a difference being humble and being stupid. She sat far two many seasons on the Sparks bench while they planyed far lesser players in front of her. Now when they really need her she might just tell them where they can stuff it.

PostPosted: 02/20/21 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
willtalk wrote:
jap wrote:
i I always thought that the Sparks not playing her in the past when it was clear she was better than the person on the floor would come back to bite them eventually. She might never come back based on her past experiences with the team riding the bench.

Vadeeva is pretty humble and used to come off the bench behind great players(Stewart, Griner, Meesseman and JJ) with UMMC. So with being a bench player in the Euroleague i don't think she would expect to play starter minutes in the W right away
Its one thing playing behind those players and riding the bench while Lavender put up bricks and played no defense. Remember they also played her behind Brown when Brown was a rookie in match ups against big centers. Vadeeva kills strong players. She beats them with strength.

Playing behind great players was for a team in her native Russia where she got paid really well while playing at home. The WNBA is a different animal. She doesn't need the WNBA. There is a difference being humble and being stupid. She sat far two many seasons on the Sparks bench while they played far lesser players in front of her. Now when they really need her she might just tell them where they can stuff it.

I cannot blame her if she is disgusted with the Sparks organization. The only one she may be willing to play for and with was the player who recruited her for the Sparks in the first place - Nneka. However, even Nneka might be too little too late at this point.

PostPosted: 02/21/21 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So uhh, what evidence is there that Vadeeva's sick of the Sparks organization? I thought her not playing last year was chalked up to covid concerns – and potentially the same deal this year. (Although, this is the time to come back over, with the renewed opportunity for playing time & a bigger role.)

Randy

PostPosted: 02/21/21 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
So uhh, what evidence is there that Vadeeva's sick of the Sparks organization? I thought her not playing last year was chalked up to covid concerns – and potentially the same deal this year. (Although, this is the time to come back over, with the renewed opportunity for playing time & a bigger role.)

If Chiney doesn't play they should beg her to come and they can pay her more than rookie scale if they want to (unless that was changed in the new CBA), cap space allowing.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/21/21 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vadeeva still has a year left on her rookie-scale deal, so no they can't pay her more than that, until next year. Although the excitement over her from some fans is completely out of whack with what she actually produced in the WNBA in her previous visits, in my opinion.

PostPosted: 02/21/21 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Vadeeva still has a year left on her rookie-scale deal, so no they can't pay her more than that, until next year. Although the excitement over her from some fans is completely out of whack with what she actually produced in the WNBA in her previous visits, in my opinion.
The excitement is from Sparks fans who watched all the games and were able to see what she was able to contribute when she was allowed to get game time.

Stormie-- The evidence is just common sense. The only reason that the Sparks were able to get her that late in the draft was because they were the only ones that had an inside track to her coming to play in the WNBA. She was never that commited to play in the states. She showed up and they gave her far less playing time than she deserved.

Everyone know that the draw to play in the NBA is not the money, but the chance for US born players to play at home and get exposure for endorsements. Another reason is that it helps to elivate their over sea resume. Vadeeva has not need for any ot those things.

I have never been that high on the level of coaching in the WNBA. Its mostly an entry level positions for players with little coaching experience. The good ones want college positons. Its basically a job that requires much less ability than being a college coach, where you have to recruit and develop.

PostPosted: 02/22/21 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see WNBA players making much money off endorsements ... at best, they get some kind of shoe deal.

PostPosted: 02/22/21 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
I have never been that high on the level of coaching in the WNBA. Its mostly an entry level positions for players with little coaching experience. The good ones want college positons. Its basically a job that requires much less ability than being a college coach, where you have to recruit and develop.

The coaches that parked Vadeeva on the bench were Brian Agler and Derek Fisher who don't fit that description at all.

College coaching requires a different skill set, not necessarily a better one.

PostPosted: 02/23/21 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This can't be right, can it? Confused

https://twitter.com/RichardCohen1/status/1363969640200867842

Shades

PostPosted: 02/23/21 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
This can't be right, can it? Confused

https://twitter.com/RichardCohen1/status/1363969640200867842

Like I said, the longer you wait, the bigger bargains there are to be had. Some typical WNBA players will be forced to play for vet minimum if they want a spot.

Who’s left to be signed? Glory Johnson?

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/23/21 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the choice is $70,000 or $0, it's a no-brainer.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: