RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Los Angeles Sparks 2021
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Admiral_Needa



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 10047
Location: Tiburon, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/17/20 10:04 pm    ::: Los Angeles Sparks 2021 Reply Reply with quote

Tough way to end the season... Shocked

The Wubble is the excuse for everything, but LA had so much talent, that they of all teams should have been able to deal with the Wubble the best. Perhaps all they need is more practice time to develop chemistry, or perhaps a coach who is better at developing chemistry, because I'm not sure this team could fit anymore talent on this roster! Twisted Evil

Just try again next season or do something more? Question The world wonders... Confused



_________________
2002 WNBA Virtual GM Overall Winner
2006 WNBA Triple Threat Overall Winner
2007 NBA ESPN Fast Break Overall Winner
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10014
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/18/20 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I got a feeling LA will look VERY different next season . The Gray , Nneka & CP Trio haven't been getting it done. Albeit Toliver and Chiney will return next season so i wish they would give it 1 more shot together , but i get a strange feeling a change will be made. Needs to start at the HC position.



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 6017
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/18/20 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t think it’s time to press the panic button. Aside from not having Chiney and Toliver all season, LA was also missing Nneka last night. They started Anigwe at PF and then ended up switching to Augustus. When was the last time Seimone played power forward? Wiese came back from an injury, and she looked either rusty or not 100%. I believe Riquna Williams got banged up in the previous game. Not surprisingly, she wasn't effective and her minutes reduced. On top of all that, the Sparks led the league in 3-point shooting during the regular season at 39.8%. Yesterday, they shot 2-18 11.1%. Bad shooting nights happen. That’s one of the things you worry about with single elimination. One off-night and your season is over.

They will need to make roster changes because of cap issues, but that's very different from cleaning house.



_________________
Aside from separately going on trial for murder and treason, Aaron Burr seemed like a pretty nice guy.
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10014
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/18/20 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/22858084279/videos/677477419558052

Post Game Press Conference


At the 18 Minute Mark Candace is asked about staying in LA the rest of her career and she gives an interesting response. "SHES BEEN LOYAL"



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
adamj95



Joined: 09 May 2014
Posts: 1900
Location: East Grand Forks, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/18/20 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks have a lot of UFA, it’ll be interesting to see who stays.



_________________
4 time WNBA Champion, 3rd all time in Assists, Minnesota's own: LINDSAY WHALEN.
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10573



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/18/20 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Losing Nneka was huge ... the lack of energy was unexpected but finding out one of your two or three best players couldn't play has to be disheartening.

And even more so against Connecticut, as she would have made Brionna Jones disappear.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10014
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/18/20 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Losing Nneka was huge ... the lack of energy was unexpected but finding out one of your two or three best players couldn't play has to be disheartening.

And even more so against Connecticut, as she would have made Brionna Jones disappear.


Apparently the sparks knew for days Nneka was not going to play so Candace says they cannot use that as an excuse and I agree.



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 5761



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/18/20 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did Chiny say she was coming back?

She is doing NBA related broadcasting, the NBA season will likely overlap the W season again. I would not be surprised if Chiney is done with the W


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22576
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/18/20 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
When was the last time Seimone played power forward?

She's been doing it for most of this season.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
LynxFan32



Joined: 20 Apr 2016
Posts: 165



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/18/20 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/22858084279/videos/677477419558052

Post Game Press Conference


At the 18 Minute Mark Candace is asked about staying in LA the rest of her career and she gives an interesting response. "SHES BEEN LOYAL"


What would be interesting would be if Parker could not get home to chicago and wanted to be close to home. She could sign a 1 year with Minnesota and could be in a starting lineup of Dangerfield, Sims Collier, Parker, Syl. I would not bet on that happening but that would be a fun lineup especially against the storm...



_________________
Hot Bod
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 6017
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/18/20 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
root_thing wrote:
When was the last time Seimone played power forward?

She's been doing it for most of this season.


I guess this is an example of why only watching games isn't enough unless you're fully invested in each game and you watch every minute. I haven't noticed Augustus playing PF. However, the minutes for Anigwe, Gullich, and Gray don't add up to the missing minutes for Parker and Nneka so you must be right.



_________________
Aside from separately going on trial for murder and treason, Aaron Burr seemed like a pretty nice guy.
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22576
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/18/20 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think I mostly noticed because even in some early games where they needed an emergency 4, it wasn't TRP they went to but Augustus. Which was an interesting call by Fisher. Then later in the season there was a point where Augustus and Katie Lou Smauleson were matched up - and it was at power forward. Which was amusing.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5777
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/18/20 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Players I keep:

CP3
Nneka
Chelsea
Anigwe
Sykes
Cooper
Toliver
Vadeeva
....Wiese...

[gone = R.Williams, R.Gray, Gulich, TRP]

Desperate - DESPERATE need is a SCORING small forward

Also...another BIG (Vadeeva helps a LOT in this regard)

I'm not ready to scramble the team. A player like Sykes who is tall enough to drive the paint and score over/around Bigs and guard hot shooters.

So sad that Candace's best year in many seasons was not enough to overcome the deficits. The only streaker shooter we need is Chelsea. Just like in college, where UConn bit off the head (Chelsea), the team has no answer. Got to have players who can score when all shooters go cold at the same time.

Have to have another Big when Nneka is hurt. This season, she had to prioritize heading the Player's Union so the season could happen. ZERO Covid cases in the wubble = great success! But Nneka did not bang. At all. And then in the elimination game, could not even play. Anigwe is a decent young player and we need another.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 5761



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/18/20 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Players I keep:

CP3
Nneka
Chelsea
Anigwe
Sykes
Cooper
Toliver
Vadeeva
....Wiese...

[gone = R.Williams, R.Gray, Gulich, TRP]

Desperate - DESPERATE need is a SCORING small forward

Also...another BIG (Vadeeva helps a LOT in this regard)

I'm not ready to scramble the team. A player like Sykes who is tall enough to drive the paint and score over/around Bigs and guard hot shooters.

So sad that Candace's best year in many seasons was not enough to overcome the deficits. The only streaker shooter we need is Chelsea. Just like in college, where UConn bit off the head (Chelsea), the team has no answer. Got to have players who can score when all shooters go cold at the same time.

Have to have another Big when Nneka is hurt. This season, she had to prioritize heading the Player's Union so the season could happen. ZERO Covid cases in the wubble = great success! But Nneka did not bang. At all. And then in the elimination game, could not even play. Anigwe is a decent young player and we need another.


looking at that list you got 9 probably can only afford 11 with all the contracts but get Chiney to return and add #10 pick and LA is still a contender

Gray/Cooper
Toliver/Weise
Sykes/#10
N. Ogwumike/C. Ogwumike/Anigwe
Parker/Vadeeva

go with the traditional line up above
go big with Parker/N. Ogwumike and 3rd post
LA is still in the mix without blowing it up


Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 1755
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/18/20 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
there was a point where Augustus and Katie Lou Samuelson were matched up - and it was at power forward. Which was amusing.

Walt Hopkins would certainly approve. Wink



_________________
Man, f*** all this f***ing horsesh*t (no, yeah, for sure [RIP RBG])
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5777
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/19/20 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Players I keep:

CP3
Nneka
Chelsea
Anigwe
Sykes
Cooper
Toliver
Vadeeva
....Wiese...

[gone = R.Williams, R.Gray, Gulich, TRP]

Desperate - DESPERATE need is a SCORING small forward

Also...another BIG (Vadeeva helps a LOT in this regard)

I'm not ready to scramble the team. A player like Sykes who is tall enough to drive the paint and score over/around Bigs and guard hot shooters.

So sad that Candace's best year in many seasons was not enough to overcome the deficits. The only streaker shooter we need is Chelsea. Just like in college, where UConn bit off the head (Chelsea), the team has no answer. Got to have players who can score when all shooters go cold at the same time.

Have to have another Big when Nneka is hurt. This season, she had to prioritize heading the Player's Union so the season could happen. ZERO Covid cases in the wubble = great success! But Nneka did not bang. At all. And then in the elimination game, could not even play. Anigwe is a decent young player and we need another.


looking at that list you got 9 probably can only afford 11 with all the contracts but get Chiney to return and add #10 pick and LA is still a contender

Gray/Cooper
Toliver/Weise
Sykes/#10
N. Ogwumike/C. Ogwumike/Anigwe
Parker/Vadeeva

go with the traditional line up above
go big with Parker/N. Ogwumike and 3rd post
LA is still in the mix without blowing it up


I say NO to Chiney. Big contract we don't need. Spend it on a SF free agent.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 55102



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/19/20 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t think you can say no to Chiney without also saying no to Nneka. They seem like a package deal now.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10573



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/19/20 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Get home to Chicago?"

She last lived there when she graduated from high school. Do her parents still live in Naperville?

How many 30-somethings who live a good life in LA want to go back home?



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 6017
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/19/20 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candace leaves open a tiny crack in the door, but otherwise it sounds to me like Parker is telling everyone she intends to stay in LA.

"My decision isn't going to be determined by what other people think. I've played with LA for thirteen years. I'm loyal. And uh, you know, I never say never, but at the same time, I've been with Adidas my entire career. Stayed at Tennessee when things got hard. I don't quit, and uh, I would rather not quit than take the easy way out any day."



_________________
Aside from separately going on trial for murder and treason, Aaron Burr seemed like a pretty nice guy.
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61598
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/19/20 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She left Tennessee as soon as she was eligible for the draft, with a year of eligibility remaining



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5777
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/19/20 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
She left Tennessee as soon as she was eligible for the draft, with a year of eligibility remaining


...and a Bachelor's Degree...



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10014
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/24/20 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candace officially DPOY!



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 13745
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/24/20 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Without knowing who was available and who they actually contacted, I thought going into the season with Kristine Anigwe, Reshanda Gray and Marie Gulich as the only post off the bench was a mistake because you had no one that could play the 4 spot, where at least Chiney could play the 4 if Nneka or Candace had to be out.

In my opinion. They don’t need to “blow up” the team, Kristi and Chiney will make a big difference and also change their bench. But they need to do a better job of creating a bench that plugs the holes in their roster.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 5761



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/24/20 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can LA afford their team

I see three max deals for Parker Gray and N. Ogwumike. Oliver already has a decent sized deal. I assume Sykes has the potential for a big offer and Cheney if she wants to return is probably a six figure deal in a world where hartley and Olson are above 170 and do you stick with experienced role players like Trp Williams and augustus and even t. Copper can probably demand a little more than 2nd year minimum even if you just keep your top 6 say LA will have to keep it cheap the rest of the way


mavcarter
#NATC


Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 5702
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/24/20 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In Cooper’s case, I’ll be surprised if she isn’t Reserved(like Richyyy alluded to with his free agent list), which would mean she would have to take whatever the Sparks give her.



_________________
wrote:
Or maybe said poster should quit being a nuisance when people don’t agree?
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin