RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Phoenix Mercury 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
johnjohnW



Joined: 11 Aug 2020
Posts: 76



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/27/20 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see BG going anywhere.

That being said, someone saying they wouldn't play in the league except for the team they were, at the time, loyal to doesn't mean they wouldn't change their mind if their loyalty changed. Like, if BG really only stayed in the bubble long enough to get paid, I'm certain she'd sign with another team if things really have soured with PHX, which I hope they haven't and not sure I believe it.


miller40



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 1313



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/27/20 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just got caught up on this Instagram nonsense and I can’t believe anyone believes a word of it. It reads like a poorly written fanfic.


FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 2040



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/27/20 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What was up with that topless photo she posted on her own IG that she captioned with saying she was going to smoke? The team/league couldn't have been overly happy about that.


Tally24



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 2310
Location: Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/28/20 1:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That felt like a CW drama.

Hmm, if it’s true, I feel really bad for Sophie and Turner. 😔
mercfan



Joined: 08 May 2013
Posts: 1066



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/28/20 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Switching gears here, who do we like in free agency?

Dupree homecoming? Achonwa fresh start in Phoenix with her ND alumnae?

Can we snag any surprise players that may want a change in scenery? McBride, Powers, Meesseman, Gray, Cheyenne Parker etc.

The championship window is not closed if there is a surprise signing like we saw numerous times last offseason.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26956



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/28/20 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are so many free agents this year, it's almost impossible to predict what lineups will actually look like.
But your post gave me the idea that it would be fun if the Merc signed McBride and Achonwa to go with SDS.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22576
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/28/20 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More on this when we write our previews over at Her Hoop Stats, but some of those names might be optimistic. If Taurasi comes back for the supermax, and then you add three minimum contracts (and I'm talking young minimum, not even vet minimum), they'd only have about 132k left for the 11th roster spot.

That's the new reality when you've got 4 players on max/supermax contracts.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 10430



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/28/20 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
More on this when we write our previews over at Her Hoop Stats, but some of those names might be optimistic. If Taurasi comes back for the supermax, and then you add three minimum contracts (and I'm talking young minimum, not even vet minimum), they'd only have about 132k left for the 11th roster spot.

That's the new reality when you've got 4 players on max/supermax contracts.


They might not even be able to get Breland back for that. Maybe Dupree....One problem though is there just may not be that much cap space out there for all the UFA's out there.



_________________
#NADF
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22576
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/28/20 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
One problem though is there just may not be that much cap space out there for all the UFA's out there.

Absolutely, that's where this offseason in particular starts to get interesting. The new structure is going to start to come home to roost, and some of the players that instinctually 'feel' like max players may not be able to find a team to give it to them.

In which case seemingly unlikely names come back into the frame when you've only got, say, 132k in space...



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
mercfan



Joined: 08 May 2013
Posts: 1066



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/28/20 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Randy wrote:
One problem though is there just may not be that much cap space out there for all the UFA's out there.

Absolutely, that's where this offseason in particular starts to get interesting. The new structure is going to start to come home to roost, and some of the players that instinctually 'feel' like max players may not be able to find a team to give it to them.

In which case seemingly unlikely names come back into the frame when you've only got, say, 132k in space...


So for someone who knows the data more than me, does this make Griner's trade value at an all time high or low? I'm not trying to feed rumors, it's more so me personally feeling like we need to go a different direction.


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22576
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/28/20 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Randy wrote:
One problem though is there just may not be that much cap space out there for all the UFA's out there.

Absolutely, that's where this offseason in particular starts to get interesting. The new structure is going to start to come home to roost, and some of the players that instinctually 'feel' like max players may not be able to find a team to give it to them.

In which case seemingly unlikely names come back into the frame when you've only got, say, 132k in space...


So for someone who knows the data more than me, does this make Griner's trade value at an all time high or low? I'm not trying to feed rumors, it's more so me personally feeling like we need to go a different direction.

I doubt it makes much difference, but it doesn't increase her value. She's signed for the supermax, so no one's saving any money by acquiring her.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
johnjohnW



Joined: 11 Aug 2020
Posts: 76



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/28/20 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Randy wrote:
One problem though is there just may not be that much cap space out there for all the UFA's out there.

Absolutely, that's where this offseason in particular starts to get interesting. The new structure is going to start to come home to roost, and some of the players that instinctually 'feel' like max players may not be able to find a team to give it to them.

In which case seemingly unlikely names come back into the frame when you've only got, say, 132k in space...


So for someone who knows the data more than me, does this make Griner's trade value at an all time high or low? I'm not trying to feed rumors, it's more so me personally feeling like we need to go a different direction.


And what direction is that? Complete rebuild?

Trade Griner. Taurasi likely retires after next year.

Now you've got Diggins and some decent role players? I don't think there are many immediate players who could join that roster and be nearly as valuable as Griner.

Out of curiosity, what would you hope to get for Griner?


J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 5761



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/20 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A possible Griner trade that could work for both teams
I have made it simpler than when I wrote it out in the Dallas thread

Griner for Sabally and pick #3 and *
* above is the key component PX may try to get Dallas to throw in something else (Harrison, Thorton, pick #7) but the additional cap space and additional youth to stay competitive now and help grow for the future might be enough to make it worth it just as it is,

PX would commit more to the style of play it had post Griner in the bubble with a dynamic young wing/post in Sabally who adds the needed offensive fire powers up front to go with DT, SDS and Hartley.

PX 2020
SDS/Hartley
DT/Peddy
SWK/Cunningham/*
Sabally/Smith/*
Turner/**

* PX also has pick #3 from Dallas (Griner trade above) and pick #6 from Conn (Bonner trade last season I believe) to fill out the last two spots (Davis, Oneynwere, McDonald, Richards, Mack, Mangakahia or Heal if they increase their stock in the upcoming off season).

** freed up cap space from trading Griner's max deal for rookie deal might allow PX to go with 12 (If they go cheap vet say bring back Vaughn to go with two first round draft picks) or at least have decent money for one UFA (Ch. Parker, Achonwa, Dupree) instead of pick 6 or Peddy and stay at 11

(I think PX would and should keep Griner this is more an exercise is finding that right trade if they wanted to go in that direction).

Dallas
Ogonbowale/Harris
Mabrey/
Gray/KLS
Thorton/Alarie
Griner/Harrison

Dallas has a lot of cap space to go after a big free agent as well as (Ogwumike, Ch. Parker, Zahui B, Sykes, Howard, Laney, Powers).
and Jefferson, NDour, pick #5, (pick #7), pick #13, Gustafson to fill last 3 spots
either way adding Griner to Ogunbowale should bring Dallas to the next level one other strong move and a good draft and they become contender


mercfan



Joined: 08 May 2013
Posts: 1066



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/20 3:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
mercfan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Randy wrote:
One problem though is there just may not be that much cap space out there for all the UFA's out there.

Absolutely, that's where this offseason in particular starts to get interesting. The new structure is going to start to come home to roost, and some of the players that instinctually 'feel' like max players may not be able to find a team to give it to them.

In which case seemingly unlikely names come back into the frame when you've only got, say, 132k in space...


So for someone who knows the data more than me, does this make Griner's trade value at an all time high or low? I'm not trying to feed rumors, it's more so me personally feeling like we need to go a different direction.


And what direction is that? Complete rebuild?

Trade Griner. Taurasi likely retires after next year.

Now you've got Diggins and some decent role players? I don't think there are many immediate players who could join that roster and be nearly as valuable as Griner.

Out of curiosity, what would you hope to get for Griner?


Consistent effort. I hope that it comes WITH Griner, but if not, there are other players who will go 100% every night. To answer your question about direction, has anything really felt different since 2014?

Am I supposed to believe that suddenly this team will become title contenders with the same core? She is the biggest piece to that machine. She also has the highest value in terms of what we could get out of a trade so it shouldn't come as a surprise that this is a topic of discussion.

But I'll say it again, I hope that Griner is doing well and healing through her personal life whether the problem is conventionally big or small. She is one of the greatest players on the planet and an inspiration to many off the court. She's battled a lot and I don't want to come off as disrespectful behind a keyboard. No matter what she's a Mercury for life to this fan.


johnjohnW



Joined: 11 Aug 2020
Posts: 76



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/20 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with your frustrations and want better effort from BG as well. This team has failed to live up to potential every year since 2014 and it is astonishing they squandered their championship window. I think the team needs change too but I don't think trading Griner for lesser pieces would accomplish much, especially with DT in her final years. I feel like the whole Diggins trade was designed to bring in a DT replacement to have chemistry with BG. If that didn't work, then maybe trading Diggins is a better idea? Do you try to build around Diggins or accept what we have with Griner. To be fair, this past season is the first season where BG truly disappointed me. Her play was below average and then she left, every year before that she made great strides, shifted her focus from defense to 2 scoring titles while still remaining a defensive force.

Again, it's tough, she's a top tier player that you'll never get equal or better value for if you trade her. Would Sabally/Diggins and some good draft picks make us respectable for the next 5 years? Probably. But certainly not a championship contender.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 55102



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/20 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trading Griner is a whimsical idea.

First of all, she said last year it’s PHX or no WNBA for her. So you’d have to make sure she’d even be willing to go another team to get maximum value.

I think you forget you’d have to play against her if she goes to another team. You never know when that switch might flip for her, especially with another coach. Brondello doesn’t seem to be tapping into that potential, but I feel she still has the tools to be the most dominant player in the WNBA.

I have a couple quick trade ideas if Griner would be amenable to a trade, but I think it’d be wisest to keep her, depending on the real reason she left the bubble.

ATL: Griner for Laney (sell high and clear up guard log jam) + 2021 lottery pick + 2022 first round pick. This might be viewed as too generous consider that 2022 draft is looking pretty nice. But the possibility of adding a player of Griner’s potential does come along too often. I’m not sure of Laney’s contract situation to know if this move is even possible. Maybe substitute Hayes instead of Laney? That might create enough cap space for PHX so they can keep a player like Vaughn or Breland.

DAL: I don’t think DAL would be willing to give up a player like Sabally who has potential and is cheap for 3 more years. I know Bibb is bad, but hopefully he’s not that bad. How about Ndour + 2021 lottery + 2021 #5? Ndour seemed to be in Agler’s doghouse, but maybe she’d flourish as a Griner replacement (trying to keep a straight face).

IND: Griner for McCowan + 2021 lottery + 2021 #14. I’m high on McCowan, so I wouldn’t do it if I were IND, but you never know what might be going inside Stanley’s head. Never really wanted to start McCowan. She might be more partial to a lighter more mobile center. Of course, that might mean she’s not high on Griner either. Feel free to tear this idea up.

NYL: Griner for Stokes (cheap contract) + 2021 lottery + 2022 first round. I dunno.... is there anything more valued than that 2022 Liberty first round pick?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
DFWub2018



Joined: 24 Aug 2018
Posts: 437
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/20 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Switching gears here, who do we like in free agency?

Dupree homecoming? Achonwa fresh start in Phoenix with her ND alumnae?

Can we snag any surprise players that may want a change in scenery? McBride, Powers, Meesseman, Gray, Cheyenne Parker etc.

The championship window is not closed if there is a surprise signing like we saw numerous times last offseason.


We will give you K. Thornton for Turner 😎


mercfan



Joined: 08 May 2013
Posts: 1066



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/20 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Trading Griner is a whimsical idea.

First of all, she said last year it’s PHX or no WNBA for her. So you’d have to make sure she’d even be willing to go another team to get maximum value.

I think you forget you’d have to play against her if she goes to another team. You never know when that switch might flip for her, especially with another coach. Brondello doesn’t seem to be tapping into that potential, but I feel she still has the tools to be the most dominant player in the WNBA.

I have a couple quick trade ideas if Griner would be amenable to a trade, but I think it’d be wisest to keep her, depending on the real reason she left the bubble.

ATL: Griner for Laney (sell high and clear up guard log jam) + 2021 lottery pick + 2022 first round pick. This might be viewed as too generous consider that 2022 draft is looking pretty nice. But the possibility of adding a player of Griner’s potential does come along too often. I’m not sure of Laney’s contract situation to know if this move is even possible. Maybe substitute Hayes instead of Laney? That might create enough cap space for PHX so they can keep a player like Vaughn or Breland.

DAL: I don’t think DAL would be willing to give up a player like Sabally who has potential and is cheap for 3 more years. I know Bibb is bad, but hopefully he’s not that bad. How about Ndour + 2021 lottery + 2021 #5? Ndour seemed to be in Agler’s doghouse, but maybe she’d flourish as a Griner replacement (trying to keep a straight face).

IND: Griner for McCowan + 2021 lottery + 2021 #14. I’m high on McCowan, so I wouldn’t do it if I were IND, but you never know what might be going inside Stanley’s head. Never really wanted to start McCowan. She might be more partial to a lighter more mobile center. Of course, that might mean she’s not high on Griner either. Feel free to tear this idea up.

NYL: Griner for Stokes (cheap contract) + 2021 lottery + 2022 first round. I dunno.... is there anything more valued than that 2022 Liberty first round pick?


People are reading far too into this statement.


DFWub2018



Joined: 24 Aug 2018
Posts: 437
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/20 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
A possible Griner trade that could work for both teams
I have made it simpler than when I wrote it out in the Dallas thread

Griner for Sabally and pick #3 and *
* above is the key component PX may try to get Dallas to throw in something else (Harrison, Thorton, pick #7) but the additional cap space and additional youth to stay competitive now and help grow for the future might be enough to make it worth it just as it is,

PX would commit more to the style of play it had post Griner in the bubble with a dynamic young wing/post in Sabally who adds the needed offensive fire powers up front to go with DT, SDS and Hartley.

PX 2020
SDS/Hartley
DT/Peddy
SWK/Cunningham/*
Sabally/Smith/*
Turner/**

* PX also has pick #3 from Dallas (Griner trade above) and pick #6 from Conn (Bonner trade last season I believe) to fill out the last two spots (Davis, Oneynwere, McDonald, Richards, Mack, Mangakahia or Heal if they increase their stock in the upcoming off season).

** freed up cap space from trading Griner's max deal for rookie deal might allow PX to go with 12 (If they go cheap vet say bring back Vaughn to go with two first round draft picks) or at least have decent money for one UFA (Ch. Parker, Achonwa, Dupree) instead of pick 6 or Peddy and stay at 11

(I think PX would and should keep Griner this is more an exercise is finding that right trade if they wanted to go in that direction).

Dallas
Ogonbowale/Harris
Mabrey/
Gray/KLS
Thorton/Alarie
Griner/Harrison

Dallas has a lot of cap space to go after a big free agent as well as (Ogwumike, Ch. Parker, Zahui B, Sykes, Howard, Laney, Powers).
and Jefferson, NDour, pick #5, (pick #7), pick #13, Gustafson to fill last 3 spots
either way adding Griner to Ogunbowale should bring Dallas to the next level one other strong move and a good draft and they become contender


Why would we make that trade with Satou included and 60% of the time BG comes off as if she's ready to walk away from the league at any moment....Jeez why does everyone dislike us so much in this league???


J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 5761



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/20 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
A possible Griner trade that could work for both teams
I have made it simpler than when I wrote it out in the Dallas thread

Griner for Sabally and pick #3 and *
* above is the key component PX may try to get Dallas to throw in something else (Harrison, Thorton, pick #7) but the additional cap space and additional youth to stay competitive now and help grow for the future might be enough to make it worth it just as it is,

PX would commit more to the style of play it had post Griner in the bubble with a dynamic young wing/post in Sabally who adds the needed offensive fire powers up front to go with DT, SDS and Hartley.

PX 2020
SDS/Hartley
DT/Peddy
SWK/Cunningham/*
Sabally/Smith/*
Turner/**

* PX also has pick #3 from Dallas (Griner trade above) and pick #6 from Conn (Bonner trade last season I believe) to fill out the last two spots (Davis, Oneynwere, McDonald, Richards, Mack, Mangakahia or Heal if they increase their stock in the upcoming off season).

** freed up cap space from trading Griner's max deal for rookie deal might allow PX to go with 12 (If they go cheap vet say bring back Vaughn to go with two first round draft picks) or at least have decent money for one UFA (Ch. Parker, Achonwa, Dupree) instead of pick 6 or Peddy and stay at 11

(I think PX would and should keep Griner this is more an exercise is finding that right trade if they wanted to go in that direction).

Dallas
Ogonbowale/Harris
Mabrey/
Gray/KLS
Thorton/Alarie
Griner/Harrison

Dallas has a lot of cap space to go after a big free agent as well as (Ogwumike, Ch. Parker, Zahui B, Sykes, Howard, Laney, Powers).
and Jefferson, NDour, pick #5, (pick #7), pick #13, Gustafson to fill last 3 spots
either way adding Griner to Ogunbowale should bring Dallas to the next level one other strong move and a good draft and they become contender


Why would we make that trade with Satou included and 60% of the time BG comes off as if she's ready to walk away from the league at any moment....Jeez why does everyone dislike us so much in this league???


Because Sabally is great but Griner is another level period.

You don't get a player like Griner for less (issues or not. IMO the issues are being slightly exaggerated. The bubble as well as it worked was a super strange situation on top of how crazy we've been for the last six months and covid, unrest, etc. it is easy to see how someone could get overwhelmed in that situation. It is also easy to see how someone may have wanted to not go, but went anyway, and regretted the decision, and things like family issues and behind the scenes drama could have been amplified because of the bubble and other decisions are made).

Dallas is on a nice trajectory and doesn't have to make this move but if people think a generational player like Griner is available without giving up something great in return they are just being unrealistic (Thorton, Ndour, Harrison, Jefferson and draft picks in a weak draft aren't going to cut it) or must have secret info that Griner wants to leave and wants to go to their team.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26956



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/20 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the age difference, BG's questionable status and the big potential of Satou, I don't think Dallas would do that deal. They might do Alarie and #3 or Thornton and #3 if Griner says she will commit to it, but that's probably about it. Maybe MoJeff as a sweetener.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 5761



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/20 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
With the age difference, BG's questionable status and the big potential of Satou, I don't think Dallas would do that deal. They might do Alarie and #3 or Thornton and #3 if Griner says she will commit to it, but that's probably about it. Maybe MoJeff as a sweetener.


Unless BG wants to leave I don't see why PX would do that. I would rather take the risk of the bumps in the road with Griner than trade her for decent role Thorton, unproven Alarie and/or unproven Davis or Onyenwere, with a Jefferson sweetener. If you are going to trade a top 10 player in the league you need something in return that makes your team better or at least as good in a different way. Sabally does the second thing. Dallas with Ogunbowale and Griner, internal improvement, free agents and draft picks could make Dallas much better than it has been the last couple or than it might be the next few years so it would be worth considering.

With that said I can completely understand Dallas not wanting to give up Sabally they are on a good trajectory and Sabally will only get better, but IMO Dallas have nothing else with high enough value (clearly not giving up Ogunbowale) that would make PX willing to move on from Griner for what they get in return.

(Also I think everyone is under valuing Griner and slightly over valuing Sabally not that she isn't great and full of potential which is why I think PX would be open to her as decent compensation for a game changer like Griner, but that is a different conversation).

Dallas doesn't have to make this trade, but unless there is more going on behind the scenes neither does PX. It does happen that you get cents on the dollar in return for great players but that always contains a trade request. If there isn't one and I am PX I would only trade BG for something great in return. (Clearly BG would also have to be willing to go to the other team so working under the idea that there isn't a trade request but that Griner would be open to playing elsewhere that elsewhere is going to have to offer something really good or why would PX not just try to work things out with BG both parties will have an off season to figure out where they stand and what they want, but I don't see PX trading BG for role players and draft picks unless they have no other choice).


SCook



Joined: 09 Oct 2013
Posts: 2289
Location: New Jersey


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/20 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Shades wrote:
Trading Griner is a whimsical idea.

First of all, she said last year it’s PHX or no WNBA for her. So you’d have to make sure she’d even be willing to go another team to get maximum value.

I think you forget you’d have to play against her if she goes to another team. You never know when that switch might flip for her, especially with another coach. Brondello doesn’t seem to be tapping into that potential, but I feel she still has the tools to be the most dominant player in the WNBA.

I have a couple quick trade ideas if Griner would be amenable to a trade, but I think it’d be wisest to keep her, depending on the real reason she left the bubble.

ATL: Griner for Laney (sell high and clear up guard log jam) + 2021 lottery pick + 2022 first round pick. This might be viewed as too generous consider that 2022 draft is looking pretty nice. But the possibility of adding a player of Griner’s potential does come along too often. I’m not sure of Laney’s contract situation to know if this move is even possible. Maybe substitute Hayes instead of Laney? That might create enough cap space for PHX so they can keep a player like Vaughn or Breland.

DAL: I don’t think DAL would be willing to give up a player like Sabally who has potential and is cheap for 3 more years. I know Bibb is bad, but hopefully he’s not that bad. How about Ndour + 2021 lottery + 2021 #5? Ndour seemed to be in Agler’s doghouse, but maybe she’d flourish as a Griner replacement (trying to keep a straight face).

IND: Griner for McCowan + 2021 lottery + 2021 #14. I’m high on McCowan, so I wouldn’t do it if I were IND, but you never know what might be going inside Stanley’s head. Never really wanted to start McCowan. She might be more partial to a lighter more mobile center. Of course, that might mean she’s not high on Griner either. Feel free to tear this idea up.

NYL: Griner for Stokes (cheap contract) + 2021 lottery + 2022 first round. I dunno.... is there anything more valued than that 2022 Liberty first round pick?


People are reading far too into this statement.


I don't think they are. I think they are being realistic. She stated that Phoenix is what keeps her playing in the WNBA. After they resigned her, she stated this again and said that it's Phx or no WNBA. Unless the relationship has soured than you believe that's where she plans to be.

Especially when the offseason moves have pointed toward Phx building toward BG being the focal point of the system after DT leaves.The both of them wanted SDS.



_________________
In La'Kech: I Am You. You Are Me. We Are Us
DFWub2018



Joined: 24 Aug 2018
Posts: 437
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/20 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
A possible Griner trade that could work for both teams
I have made it simpler than when I wrote it out in the Dallas thread

Griner for Sabally and pick #3 and *
* above is the key component PX may try to get Dallas to throw in something else (Harrison, Thorton, pick #7) but the additional cap space and additional youth to stay competitive now and help grow for the future might be enough to make it worth it just as it is,

PX would commit more to the style of play it had post Griner in the bubble with a dynamic young wing/post in Sabally who adds the needed offensive fire powers up front to go with DT, SDS and Hartley.

PX 2020
SDS/Hartley
DT/Peddy
SWK/Cunningham/*
Sabally/Smith/*
Turner/**

* PX also has pick #3 from Dallas (Griner trade above) and pick #6 from Conn (Bonner trade last season I believe) to fill out the last two spots (Davis, Oneynwere, McDonald, Richards, Mack, Mangakahia or Heal if they increase their stock in the upcoming off season).

** freed up cap space from trading Griner's max deal for rookie deal might allow PX to go with 12 (If they go cheap vet say bring back Vaughn to go with two first round draft picks) or at least have decent money for one UFA (Ch. Parker, Achonwa, Dupree) instead of pick 6 or Peddy and stay at 11

(I think PX would and should keep Griner this is more an exercise is finding that right trade if they wanted to go in that direction).

Dallas
Ogonbowale/Harris
Mabrey/
Gray/KLS
Thorton/Alarie
Griner/Harrison

Dallas has a lot of cap space to go after a big free agent as well as (Ogwumike, Ch. Parker, Zahui B, Sykes, Howard, Laney, Powers).
and Jefferson, NDour, pick #5, (pick #7), pick #13, Gustafson to fill last 3 spots
either way adding Griner to Ogunbowale should bring Dallas to the next level one other strong move and a good draft and they become contender


Why would we make that trade with Satou included and 60% of the time BG comes off as if she's ready to walk away from the league at any moment....Jeez why does everyone dislike us so much in this league???


Because Sabally is great but Griner is another level period.

You don't get a player like Griner for less (issues or not. IMO the issues are being slightly exaggerated. The bubble as well as it worked was a super strange situation on top of how crazy we've been for the last six months and covid, unrest, etc. it is easy to see how someone could get overwhelmed in that situation. It is also easy to see how someone may have wanted to not go, but went anyway, and regretted the decision, and things like family issues and behind the scenes drama could have been amplified because of the bubble and other decisions are made).

Dallas is on a nice trajectory and doesn't have to make this move but if people think a generational player like Griner is available without giving up something great in return they are just being unrealistic (Thorton, Ndour, Harrison, Jefferson and draft picks in a weak draft aren't going to cut it) or must have secret info that Griner wants to leave and wants to go to their team.


I get what you are saying and it all makes sense, however, you can have anyone else on the team....all of them if you want, except Satou & Gray are off limits...please, you raised my blood pressure including Satou in any discussion 😢


DFWub2018



Joined: 24 Aug 2018
Posts: 437
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/29/20 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
With the age difference, BG's questionable status and the big potential of Satou, I don't think Dallas would do that deal. They might do Alarie and #3 or Thornton and #3 if Griner says she will commit to it, but that's probably about it. Maybe MoJeff as a sweetener.


Bella, Thornton & Mo Jeff works for me 🤓


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin